• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V |OT| Persona heartless version.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I have a team of strong endgame demons and the Demi Fiend fight is absolutely kicking my arse. You can't keep buffs/debuffs going and they are also constantly buffing/debuffing you - if you focus on killing his allies you never do damage to the DF.

I can't handle it man.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have a team of strong endgame demons and the Demi Fiend fight is absolutely kicking my arse. You can't keep buffs/debuffs going and they are also constantly buffing/debuffing you - if you focus on killing his allies you never do damage to the DF.

I can't handle it man.
Yeah these guys LOOOVE using Dekaja/Dekunda which makes buffing/debuffing waste of time but at same time if you dont buff/debuff the attacks are pretty deadly.

Also also if you dont kill one his demons in time, Demi Fiend will use Gaea Rage and destroy you.
pretty-hopeless-hopeless.gif

Facing him makes Shiva fight not that hard by comparison

Last edited:

Jsisto

Anyone still playing? Hard mode on ng+ started out pretty difficult but became pretty manageable about halfway when my fused demons started becoming incredibly powerful. Finally got Nuwa(yass queen!), and just messing around a bit trying to make some OP demons before I try the super bosses. Definitely got my money’s worth, nearly at 200 hours.

Danjin44

Anyone still playing? Hard mode on ng+ started out pretty difficult but became pretty manageable about halfway when my fused demons started becoming incredibly powerful. Finally got Nuwa(yass queen!), and just messing around a bit trying to make some OP demons before I try the super bosses. Definitely got my money’s worth, nearly at 200 hours.
I'm still trying find a way to beat Demi-Fiend, his crazy tough.

Lognor

Banned
Yeah, I'm still playing. Still on first play through, playing on hard. I'm about 50 hours in. Damn, this game is long!

Jsisto

I got creamed by demi fiend on normal and gave up, so should be fun on hard! Honestly Gaea Rage seems to be the biggest issue and it's insta kill, so probably will only be slightly more difficult but still hard as hell.

Metnut

Hello. I’ve put about 60 hours into this game and just reached the Temple of Eternity and think I’m running out of steam. The Demon’s Castle was my least favorite part of the game and not sure I really am up for going through that again (I’ve really enjoyed the open areas and exploring those but didn’t like the “dungeon”).

Is it worth it for me to keep going forward from here? I guess I’m asking if there’s a lot of good unmissable content I’d be missing out on if I don’t go ahead. Appreciate if someone could answer without spoiling me.

Danjin44

Is it worth it for me to keep going forward from here? I guess I’m asking if there’s a lot of good unmissable content I’d be missing out on if I don’t go ahead. Appreciate if someone could answer without spoiling me.
There some quests you need to and fight super boss in order to unlock 4th ending.

I think you need to do Amanozako quest line, khonsu quest line and fight the super boss Shiva.

e0n

Hello. I’ve put about 60 hours into this game and just reached the Temple of Eternity and think I’m running out of steam. The Demon’s Castle was my least favorite part of the game and not sure I really am up for going through that again (I’ve really enjoyed the open areas and exploring those but didn’t like the “dungeon”).

There's a final savepoint at the very end which Aogami tells you is the point of no return.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

You're in the home stretch. Temple of Eternity is a lot shorter and simpler than the Demon Castle. The enemies are harder but there isn't a lot of tricky puzzles or anything.

MudoSkills

All endings: Done
Compendium: Complete
Demi Fiend: Still killing me

Idris Elba Table Flip GIF

With a team of Zeus, Cleopatra and Danu I got as far as half way, when he casts Mediarhan. I think where I fell down this time was not swapping out Zeus when he varied up his summons, got hit with Gaea Rage a couple of times, on top of losing the odd team member to Chaotic Will.

MudoSkills

On like the 6/7th go with this squad I finally beat the fucker. The Accursed Poison Magatsuhi skill is pretty much essential - because it always lands a seal on him, and if you time it right you can stop him from healing at half health. If you don't the fight goes on for too long and once you start dropping demons/turns it's really hard to fight your way back/take out a support demon before he casts Gaea Rage.

It was getting pretty intense at the end there. I wouldn't have done it without Cleopatra, Frolic is such a good skill for debuffing and wasting turns with charm. His last summon was Parvati and I know she could have healed him for a big chunk of health but luckily she was charmed for both turns out.

I thought I was gonna do it on the try where he managed to seal himself with a repelled Javelin Rain but he got me on that one.

Danjin44

On like the 6/7th go with this squad I finally beat the fucker. The Accursed Poison Magatsuhi skill is pretty much essential - because it always lands a seal on him, and if you time it right you can stop him from healing at half health. If you don't the fight goes on for too long and once you start dropping demons/turns it's really hard to fight your way back/take out a support demon before he casts Gaea Rage.

It was getting pretty intense at the end there. I wouldn't have done it without Cleopatra, Frolic is such a good skill for debuffing and wasting turns with charm. His last summon was Parvati and I know she could have healed him for a big chunk of health but luckily she was charmed for both turns out.

I thought I was gonna do it on the try where he managed to seal himself with a repelled Javelin Rain but he got me on that one.
clapping-bravo.gif

MudoSkills

That was probably the most tense I've ever felt playing a turn based game. Chaotic Will took out one of my demons and I thought I'd just make it if I focused on offense and it paid off.

I'm not gonna start a 5th cycle to try and do it on hard...

Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

MudoSkills

It's a completely different level. My endgame demons first cycle was based on two demons with Boon Boost and Boon Boost Ex along with Luster Candy and Debilitate to fully buff & debuff within two turns. Absolutely useless tactic in this fight. Some of my other early ideas on how to tackle it were equally useless , like leaving offense to Shiva and Metatron to deal damage with Tandava, Fire of Sinai and Freikugel. Without the extra press turns you guarantee with exploiting weaknesses I wasn't getting anywhere.

It'd be interesting to see if you could melt him with endure/adversity the same way that video showed someone destroying Shiva. Past a certain point I don't think the stats matter much but with over 200 strength, full debuff on defense and buffed attack, with Savage I was doing 8k damage with a Murakumo crit.

Shaqazooloo

Been meaning to pick it back up, probably play a bit this week. I'm looking forward to eventually taking on the Demi Fiend when I complete everything else, he sounds challenging.

Arthimura

I finished the game today.

I enjoyed it a lot. I did the neutral ending.

In the beginning I was feeling it was easier than SMTIV, but I changed my opinion, the final sections are quite brutal, mainly Taito, Temple of Eternity and Empyrean. The fact that I hoard the more powerful essences probably didn't helped either.

Does anyone know if the $26 DLC bundle is worth? Planning to get back to the game again in a few months to see the other endings, do the DLC quests and fight the DLC bosses.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

The Demi Fiend DLC is by far the best one, and the one with the most content. The other three are essentially just a single boss battle, although Cleopatra is a really useful demon.

The mitama DLC is complete shit and utterly breaks the game - although that's less of an issue if you have already beaten it.

Danjin44

In the beginning I was feeling it was easier than SMTIV, but I changed my opinion, the final sections are quite brutal, mainly Taito, Temple of Eternity and Empyrean. The fact that I hoard the more powerful essences probably didn't helped either.
Yeah, later bosses start using pierce attacks that can do a lot of damage if you are not prepare for it and dampener no longer be useful like it was in beginning of the game.

EDMIX

Any chance this comes to the PS4/5 or is it pointless to wait?
SMT5 is in the Geforce leak, so a pc port is likely. There was some ps4 code found in a datamine, i'm waiting for it but I think it's unlikely to come out on PlayStation.

With that leak, its very, very likely coming to PS4 and PS5... its hard to have a source code leak and another leak by Nvida regarding the PC version and really, really believe it won't come to PS.

PC likely based on leak...
PS unlikely based on literally its source code leaked for PS4?

nahhh lol

I say, both are pretty much givens to happen at this point. There's just no reason to have such code if its never coming to PS4 or something, so I see it as a "when" as oppose to "If" at this point.

The_hunter

With that leak, its very, very likely coming to PS4 and PS5... its hard to have a source code leak and another leak by Nvida regarding the PC version and really, really believe it won't come to PS.

nahhh lol

I say, both are pretty much givens to happen at this point. There's just no reason to have such code if its never coming to PS4 or something, so I see it as a "when" as oppose to "If" at this point.
Found the twitter with the datamine

SMT3 remaster also had this apparently.

Xeaker

nahhh lol

I will wait then. Rather play it on PS4 than Switch :D

jimmypython

I hope Atlus keeps making SMT games, in addition to the Persona games. Bought the steelbook version and played a couple of hours…all I can say is this game, unlike strange journey/redux and SMT4, was not made specifically for the current target platform, especially when there is DQ11S running on the same UE4 engine and flawlessly on the Switch. I will wait a bit to see if PS4/5/PC happens. I will play the switch version if I have to tho…..

Last edited:

EDMIX

I hope Atlus keeps making SMT games, in addition to the Persona games. Bought the steelbook version and played a couple of hours…all I can say is this game, unlike strange journey/redux and SMT4, was not made specifically for the current target platform, especially when there is DQ11S running on the same UE4 engine and flawlessly on the Switch. I will wait a bit to see if PS4/5/PC happens. I will play the switch version if I have to tho…..

True.

I think this gen SEGA will put more energy into the Persona and SMT IP like we saw with that push with Yakuza. I'm maintaining my original claims, Persona 1 and 2 remake, Persona 3,4 and 5 remaster, Persona 6 reveal lol

SMT already has a remake with 3, the ports happening with SMTV, I expect them to likely remake 1 and 2, remaster IV. If they get the same push as Yakuza, I suspect it could work out like that. I'd argue some of those titles sell just as good as Yakuza mind you lol

Y0ssarian

Banned
Congrats on selling 1 million. I gotta be honest, I started it up and played for about an hour and a half and it didn't really do anything for me. But I'm going to go back go and plough throw the entire game. I felt it was a little weaker than Nocturne and SMT IV in terms of story and characters but I think I might be being a bit unfair.

Danjin44

Congrats on selling 1 million. I gotta be honest, I started it up and played for about an hour and a half and it didn't really do anything for me. But I'm going to go back go and plough throw the entire game. I felt it was a little weaker than Nocturne and SMT IV in terms of story and characters but I think I might be being a bit unfair.
For me in terms of combat and exploration SMTV is my favourite, as for story I think they took criticism of SMTIV Apocalypse too hard and gone extreme opposite side with story and characters development.

Danjin44

I'm hoping that's the case. The art and world looks amazing.

I haven't played Apocalypse yet, I do own it, but I got burnt out on jrpgs when I got round to it
In Apocalypse the combat improved from original SMTIV but the story is much more character focus compare to other SMT games, almost too much and thats most criticism come from.

In SMTV your traditional dungeon is way less but in its place you have huge open area you explore, very similar to Xenoblade series, complete with giant high level enemies roaming around.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
haven't played for a while becuse of elden ring but went back to it this morning. i'm in the chiyoda area now. done the abcess of kanda and i'm at the leyline just after that. i died about 6 times to the enemies that come out the abcess as you approach. they were 1 hit killing my demons and my nahobino was getting his ass kicked. the abcess fight took a couple tries. i think there is a bossfight up next.

from this point does the game get harder or if i've made it this far should i be able to finish it?

Last edited:

Danjin44

from this point does the game get harder or if i've made it this far should i be able to finish it?
Fuse demons often, in SMTV your party composition and customizing your affinity is your key to victory in most boss fights.

This is my first SMT game and while I'm enjoying it quite a bit, it really could use some dungeons of change of scenery. I have around 18 hours clocked in and I'm still in the same Netherworld environment.

There's also some things that confuse me like registering demons. I register them but I don't know what good that does and I seem to still get the same demon regardless. At first it looked like registering them upped their stats but if it does I don't see how.

Overall though, I like it. I know it is also different from other SMT games as well.

Really glad to hear a Japanese role-playing game is doing very well. I really want to see more Japanese games kick ass like this.

Last edited:

Shin Quaver

Neo Member
I love this game. I've been replaying it on hard and I've had a couple occations where I've made one mistake and before the consiquences even happened I can see the last hour and a bit of gameplay come crashing down on me because I was too dumb to renember to save.

Usually that sounds like a really bad time but something about how satisfying this game is to play makes me play right back through that content again so I can not make that mistake this time.

Danjin44

There's also some things that confuse me like registering demons. I register them but I don't know what good that does and I seem to still get the same demon regardless.
You don’t need to register them all the time, what it does is when you need specific demon for fusion but no longer have it, you can use demon companion to re-summon that demon by paying Macca.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
making a little progress again but i'm struggling and getting frustrated. have gone down to casual difficulty lol. yesterday i beat Shohei and today i went from the area you fight him up until i got the talisman to go through the flame wall.

edit: today i got through the flame wall and fought surt. got through all of the area and beat ishtar. just spammed dark and force attacks on her. now i'm at the castle. i think i got all the miman in this area. i might go do some side quests before starting the castle area.

edit 2: done a few side quests. went back to do earlier ones. fought the big ice cream cone dude and got a fish. killed the guy sitting on a toilet at the top of a hill. killed the zappy bird in the container area. started the castle. got to the second leyline but i keep dying.

edit 3: this thread is dead :( anyway, another update...not that anyone reads it. got through the demon king castle! Arioch boss was destroying me but i'm using a guide pretty much all the time now (cause i really need the help lol). first attempt i was hardly doing any damage to the little star dudes. i had to go fuse some new demons. can't remember all their names. i still had demons at lvl ~38 (my main dude is lvl 51) and my party was getting 1 hit KO'd.

fought Abdiel. first attempt didn't go well. she killed me in 2 attacks. it was her physical attack. i gave my guy Retaliate skill and one of my demons Tetrakarn to cast to give phys resistance. that made the fight much easier! now i'm at the new area but haven't explored it yet.

edit 4: i've gave up on the game. this new area is brutal. i managed to destroy 2 abcesses but i can't get anywhere near the others because the standard field demons are fucking wrecking me. i think i must've died about 10 times today. tried doing some side quests but i'm too weak for some of them and some of them don't even give any rewards that are going to help me. tried recruiting demons but getting nowhere. i have no money to offer them either. i would've had money from vendor items but i lost them cause i keep dying. i tried going back to the castle area to fight demons and try level up but it's not happening. i've tried looking for help online but i feel like i'm being forced to play a certain way. you need these demons and need this skill!

i really enjoyed the combat and exploration but this has been a huge difficulty spike and i'm too frustrated with the game now. i'm sad that i'm not enjoying it anymore because up until now it has been fun even if it has been challenging. i did go down to casual difficulty but apparently i really suck even for that mode. so i'm done and moving onto something else. i don't have the energy for the game anymore. maybe in the future i'll come back to it. if i do i'll need a new save lol cause i went and deleted mine there. i promise this is the last edit and there won't be an "edit 5". see ya :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom