• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V |OT| Persona heartless version.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I just got my 2nd fusion accident in entire game and what I got was Metatron.
chance-nicolas.gif
Were you in New or Full moon phase? I got the feeling that accidents are not so accidental anymore, only happening during those moon phases.

Either that or I haven't hit that jackpot in 100+ hours of play time.:goog_relieved:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I had one at a full moon, and it was also Horus.

I would have liked it if they had kept in a race of demons that could only fuse by accident like in IV and Apocalypse - particularly if there was an item you could use to force it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just found out I'm, not completely locked out of getting the true ending, so I guess I still have some game to go.

Wonder how the fuck I'll be able to beat Shiva (lvl 93 super boss). Guess I'll have to fuse a dream team and Grimoire the fuck out of them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally finished the game and really enjoyed it, the last boss was not as tough as I thought he would be.

Just found out I'm, not completely locked out of getting the true ending, so I guess I still have some game to go.

Wonder how the fuck I'll be able to beat Shiva (lvl 93 super boss). Guess I'll have to fuse a dream team and Grimoire the fuck out of them.
I was at level 86 when I beat the last boss and I had:

MC (level 86)
Metatron (level 97)
Zeus (level 87)
Alilat (level 85)

maybe these guys are enough to challenge Shiva.

TintoConCasera

I'm about to fight him! Currently using items to increase levels.

I'll have a look at him and then reset to try to fuse some demoms that might be good against him.

That is, of there are any. :goog_relieved:

Danjin44

I'm about to fight him! Currently using items to increase levels.

I'll have a look at him and then reset to try to fuse some demoms that might be good against him.

That is, of there are any. :goog_relieved:
The problem is some his moves so fucking deadly, you spending more time trying to recover than attacking him.

TintoConCasera

The problem is some his moves so fucking deadly, you spending more time trying to recover than attacking him.
Man I thought I just could leave the Ganesha alive and that would be the end of Shiva calling for allies.

I was right, a few turns later the elephant called for another two allies.

So yeah I died.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Smashed Shiva before the alignment lock. Beat Metatron before he could get a move in, Demi Fiend, completely fucked me up.

MudoSkills

I finished my first playthrough last night, what a fantastic game.

I'm going to go for all the endings, but am carrying over all my stuff into NG+ (I checked and it includes all consumable items and demon essences). I'm also going to switch on the Mitama DLC, at least for a bit, to see how often it ups the frequency. The glory one in particular doesn't seem necessary; given what I ended the game with, I'll easily get enough on a 2nd go around to have a full compliment of miracles.

I'm going to save the Demi Fiend fight for this go around. There's a lot more to it than walking in with a squad of 3 strong demons, so I'll use the 2nd playthrough to fill out the compendium and build a bigger roster of endgame ready demons.

Last edited:
i still can't get past the fucking hydra. i eventually got an Angel and now im being told it's no good?

i don't know what i'm doing with this game. feel like im going in circles. should i just start again with a new save?

MudoSkills

The bosses follow a predictable pattern with their magatsuhi attacks - the poison attack is dark element and can be blocked with a dampener.

There wouldn't be a point restarting, early game you wouldn't be able to respec in a way that would make your build significantly different. You can use the essences to try and cover weaknesses/add in skills etc.

Danjin44

i still can't get past the fucking hydra. i eventually got an Angel and now im being told it's no good?

i don't know what i'm doing with this game. feel like im going in circles. should i just start again with a new save?
You said you already at level 16 right? get one more level in order get Aitvaras, his null against fire attacks. and if you get his essence then you can use it for the MC.
hcMbm1g.png

Angel is useful but when Hydra uses his magatsuhi, you want put your party guard.

The bosses follow a predictable pattern with their magatsuhi attacks - the poison attack is dark element and can be blocked with a dampener.

There wouldn't be a point restarting, early game you wouldn't be able to respec in a way that would make your build significantly different. You can use the essences to try and cover weaknesses/add in skills etc.
i was thinking about restarting cause i feel like i'm missing an explanation on something and not sure how the game works properly yet.

You said you already at level 16 right? get one more level in order get Aitvaras, his null against fire attacks. and if you get his essence then you can use it for the MC.
hcMbm1g.png

Angel is useful but when Hydra uses his magatsuhi, you want put your party guard.
i don't know what you mean...i know how to give myself and demons skills but not their weakness/strength

TintoConCasera

nightmare-slain nightmare-slain I know you can do it man.

Use Angel for the healing skill.
Have someone with Tarunda, keep that Hydra attack down. If not possible, try Rakunda so at least the fight lasts less time.
If you can't get Aitvaras, Daemon should do the trick to block the fire attack. Whenever you block an attack the enemy losses two press turns, so if the Hydra starts with Fire breath and your Daemon blocks it, it'll lose the rest of it's turns.
Use a dark dampener whenever the Hydra starts gathering magatsuhi. That, again, will make it lose it's press turns.
Whenever possible use the Omagatoki: Critical to fuck up the Hydra. Use Aramasa if your Nahobino is STR based, or Bufu if MAG based.

Danjin44

Question: is this game like Pokemon or even better?
I never played Pokemon so I dont know its gameplay loop but SMT has much better challenge and better combat and boss fights.

But SMT games are not like Pokemon that you name and raise the the monsters you captured, as soon as Demon out live their usefulness you will fuse them away for stronger Demon.

TintoConCasera

Can we discuss the endings?

I get that Ichiro/Abdiel are the Law ending, right? Trying to enforce God's order by any means. But does that mean that Koshimizu/Yuzuru ending is the chaos one? Like yeah I get that asking a bunch of gods to watch over the world would be pretty chaotic in the end, but their intentions doesn't seem chaotic to start with.

I even thought for part of the game that Dazai was the chaos rep, since he's pretty weak but kinda wanted to become strong.

Danjin44

Can we discuss the endings?

I get that Ichiro/Abdiel are the Law ending, right? Trying to enforce God's order by any means. But does that mean that Koshimizu/Yuzuru ending is the chaos one? Like yeah I get that asking a bunch of gods to watch over the world would be pretty chaotic in the end, but their intentions doesn't seem chaotic to start with.

I even thought for part of the game that Dazai was the chaos rep, since he's pretty weak but kinda wanted to become strong.
To me it felt Koshimizu/Yuzuru wanted protect Tokyo on their own without other gods, while Ichiro/Abdie only true "god" should take the throne.

I think Yakumo/Nuwa were more on chaos side, because they believe weak doesn't deserve to survive in the first place.

My bigger question is why Khonsu care about Miyazu's well being more than her own brother?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

To me it felt Koshimizu/Yuzuru wanted protect Tokyo on their own without other gods, while Ichiro/Abdie only true "god" should take the throne.

I think Yakumo/Nuwa were more on chaos side, because they believe weak doesn't deserve to survive in the first place.

My bigger question is why Khonsu care about Miyazu's well being more than her own brother?
I thought that about Yakumo as well, but in the end they seemed like the most neutral to me since all they care for is humanity, even if it means that their way will make most of humanity (the weak ones) to perish in the aftermath of destroying the throne. It's kind of a chaotic/good, while Abdiel and Dazai are plain law/evil.

The Miyazu stuff, honestly I don't care. That side quest to me came out of nowhere, and Miyazu as a character left a lot to be desired since she barely has any impact. Maybe they cut some content related to her during development?

Well deserved! Game's ton of fun and has a lot of quality content.

All we need now is an officialy released OST.

Danjin44

I thought that about Yakumo as well, but in the end they seemed like the most neutral to me since all they care for is humanity, even if it means that their way will make most of humanity (the weak ones) to perish in the aftermath of destroying the throne. It's kind of a chaotic/good, while Abdiel and Dazai are plain law/evil.

The Miyazu stuff, honestly I don't care. That side quest to me came out of nowhere, and Miyazu as a character left a lot to be desired since she barely has any impact. Maybe they cut some content related to her during development?
You might be right about Yakumo when I think about it, neutral are always on human side and Yakuma/Nuwa were definitely side of humanity but more cruel way.

When you think about it Ichiro/Abdie was on chaos side since Abdie turned in to fallen and I think Lucifer was the one talked to Ichiro and Abdie in Bethel gathering place.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

and I think Lucifer was the one talked to Ichiro and Abdie in Bethel gathering place.
Totally! They even put Lucifer's shadow above them, I forgot about that.

Man I can't wait to beat Shiva, get the true ending and finally see how it all ends. Aside from the boss fight, which I already know it's Lucifer... Do you think it's worth it?

Danjin44

Totally! They even put Lucifer's shadow above them, I forgot about that.

Man I can't wait to beat Shiva, get the true ending and finally see how it all ends. Aside from the boss fight, which I already know it's Lucifer... Do you think it's worth it?
I might try to get true ending on my 2nd playthrough with more strength build character.

TintoConCasera

I might try to get true ending on my 2nd playthrough with more strength build character.
I still want to try a few more times, maybe try pumping my demons to lvl 99 and seeing if that makes any difference against him.

Danjin44

I still want to try a few more times, maybe try pumping my demons to lvl 99 and seeing if that makes any difference against him.
If try few more I think can beat it but I also want motivation for my 2nd playthrough and trying to get true ending with different build is good motivation.

TintoConCasera

If try few more I think can beat it but I also want motivation for my 2nd playthrough and trying to get true ending with different build is good motivation.
Totally. I did the same for Nocturne, beat it the teacher route first time, and still to this day have to beat it again and get the true demon ending.

MudoSkills

I was also getting more chaos vibes from Yakumo. Probably more a result of Atsuta being less developed.

Totally. I did the same for Nocturne, beat it the teacher route first time, and still to this day have to beat it again and get the true demon ending.

Worth it. In anticipation for V I beat Nocturne 7 times this year (every ending + an extra run through on the Japanese copy I bought before the Western release date was announced).

Danjin44

I was also getting more chaos vibes from Yakumo.
I think that’s the “twist” behind SMT5, when you first start the game Yakumo/Nuwa seems Chaos because they seem value strength and they hunting down angels.

Abdie seems Law because she is archangel and Koshimizu/Yuzuru neutral because they want save Tokyo.

But near the end it turns out opposite. Koshimizu/Yuzuru are actually Law because they believe there is need be “God” for order and Abdie becomes fallen and try take the throne by strength and Yakumo/Nuwa are neutral because they believe human should live on their own strength without gods or demons.

Last edited:
Yes! I finally beat Hydra!! I’m so happy and relieved. The game has clicked for me now. I figured out how to fuse essence. Made my dude strong against fire and dark so fuck you hydra! Optimised my party and threw some dark dampers To block his toxic breath.

:messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:

TintoConCasera

Yes! I finally beat Hydra!! I’m so happy and relieved. The game has clicked for me now. I figured out how to fuse essence. Made my dude strong against fire and dark so fuck you hydra! Optimised my party and threw some dark dampers To block his toxic breath.

:messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:
Something I really like about those games is how they always throw you an early boss that's hard as hell and basically functions as a check to see if the player has learned how to properly play the game. Beating those fuckers is always a great sensation.

Have fun with the rest of the game man! If you have liked it until this point you'll be happy to know you aren't even like 10% in.

Something I really like about those games is how they always throw you an early boss that's hard as hell and basically functions as a check to see if the player has learned how to properly play the game. Beating those fuckers is always a great sensation.

Have fun with the rest of the game man! If you have liked it until this point you'll be happy to know you aren't even like 10% in.
yeah. the feeling i have right now of beating that boss reminds me of dark souls. i love it. i'm enjoying the game and i know i'm still at the beginning. my game counter is exactly bang on 8 hours but that's not including deaths or the time i accidently fused the wrong demon so reloaded my save and lost about an hour of xp/items :( i'm probably closer to about 10 hours.

TintoConCasera

yeah. the feeling i have right now of beating that boss reminds me of dark souls. i love it. i'm enjoying the game and i know i'm still at the beginning. my game counter is exactly bang on 8 hours but that's not including deaths or the time i accidently fused the wrong demon so reloaded my save and lost about an hour of xp/items :( i'm probably closer to about 10 hours.
You should always save before fusing! You can always make mistakes on your own... But there's also always* the possibility of a fusion accident taking place.

*actually, not sure if always or only during new or full moons.

You should always save before fusing! You can always make mistakes on your own... But there's also always* the possibility of a fusion accident taking place.

*actually, not sure if always or only during new or full moons.
yeah i know it's my own stupid fault lol. i need to get into the habit of saving often. and i do remember failed fusions from Persona.

i'll need to read up on what the moon thing is all about. that's one thing i've not figured out yet. i do know it affects negotiations with demons but not anything else.

thanks!!

MudoSkills

You've just reminded me that the moon phases really don't get used much in this game. Negotiations with certain demons are easier/impossible on a new/full moon but there aren't skills tied to the phases like Nocturne (and IV?), and I think there is one side quest where an event happens on a full moon.

TintoConCasera

There are some demons that are much easier to get if the phase is near new or full, but not new or full yet.

Oh, and shit like enemies or heal pickups respawn at new moon.

MudoSkills

I started NG+ with the mitama DLC switched on and it's incredibly busted. Between the start of the game and the first abscess I got 4 Gospels, Grimoires, Small Glory Crystals and Cloth Masks to sell.

Encounter rate is nuts, provided you know how to deal with them, it would completely trivialise the game on an initial playthrough.

Top Bottom