• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V |OT| Persona heartless version.

Kimahri

Banned
How about pressing L to teleport to the last save point.

You'll still have to manually go from the save point to where yo were before, but the Nahobino is so fast that I can't see that as an issue.
Sorry about the typos. Phones don't agree with me.

But yeah, I do that. Just wish I didn't have to. It's such a unnecessarily long winded way of doing a very simple task.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sorry about the typos. Phones don't agree with me.

But yeah, I do that. Just wish I didn't have to. It's such a unnecessarily long winded way of doing a very simple task.
I think it's done to avoid save scumming, since you can see the enemies on the field, you could save before every fight making it kinda boring. Was the case in SMT IV.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just found a way to do crazy damage, to the point of fucking up a boss in one strike. I'll share it in a spoiler sinces it's kinda broken.

You need two magatsuhi skills: Freikugel EX (Fiend, Wargod) and Impaler's Glory (whatever Pazuzu is, can't remember). You also need that Miracle that allows the Nahobino to use his demon's magatsuhi skills.

It's pretty simple. Just fill the bar and use Impaler's Glory on the Nahobino, then fill it again and use Freikugel EX on whatever dude you want to send to the hospital.

Impaler's Glory will basically enhance the next attack you make, and that attack being Freikugel EX must have something fucked up. I guess it could scale like this with other lvl based skills, like Big Bang.

Damage output is crazy. I was fighting a lvl 53 boss and it did >6000 damage, almost killing it and probably taking more than 90% of his life.

I guess I'll force myself to not use this again. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just beat YAKUMO and MY GOD this motherf**ker was brutal, he hits so god damn hard, even putting physical resistance on MC, he kills rest of my party so easily.

TintoConCasera

I just beat YAKUMO and MY GOD this motherf**ker was brutal, he hits so god damn hard, even putting physical resistance on MC, he kills rest of my party so easily.
What level are you at? I don't know if I should click on that spoiler. :goog_relieved:

Jsisto

God I love this game. 60 hours in and on the last open area. Taking my sweet time, building a fun and badass team now that I’ve unlocked all of the summoning miracles. I love how subdued the story is. It kinda just hangs back and occasionally gives you some nuggets to think about. Without getting into spoilers, I really appreciate how it portrays right and wrong as a huge grey area as you learn different factions motivations. I guess that’s a SMT staple? This is my first one. Will definitely be replaying on hard.

I loved Dread, but this has overtaken it for me as my GOTY and one of the finest JRPGs I’ve ever played,

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Is there a better feeling than having the normal battle theme swapped mid game by another one which slaps much harder? Man I'm loving this game.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I'm only at the end of the second area, but I can confidently say this is my favorite SMT game to date.

Everything about the game design and gameplay just works and makes sense. And the Quality of Life improvements are all incredible. I unfortunately skipped the DS / 3DS Megaten titles, so I'm not sure if this stuff was in there, but:
  • Reverse fusion is amazing. I didn't realize how much of a bitch it was to manually check possible fusion combinations on every demon in your stock until I used reverse fusion.
  • Reverse COMPENDIUM fusion is a GAME changer. There's no more reason to use some fucking online guide just so you know what demons to summon before you can fuse the one you want -- AND you can pay the summoning fee and fuse in one button click
  • Essences to change MC's affinity / skills make a lot of sense, and simplify a lot of the strategic prep work for hard fights
  • Spyglass being available from the very start is amazing (and I've had to use ZERO guides for bosses because of this)
And on top of the fact that they've managed to streamline the experience and remove virtually all minor annoyances, they've added so much to the SMT experience.
  • Exploration is fresh, fun, and rewards you with glory, magatsuhi, health, mana, and rare items
  • Magatsuhi skills (especially from the enemy side) add A LOT of additional tension to battles
  • Dampeners may feel a bit OP at first, but become an interesting risk mitigation tool in harder fights (especially when your enemies are going to crit you next turn with several potential elements, and your demons all have different weaknesses)
  • Blessings are all useful, and add another meaningful layer of resource management / strategy
My only complaints so far are technical / stylistic. I'm getting a lot of frame drops below 30 playing docked, even doing things like going in and out of the menu. I'm also not a big fan of the top-screen bloom in the second area that gives me the feeling that I constantly have the sun in my eyes (I don't know if this is psychological, but it's annoying as fuck).

But these are minor things for these types of games, and after 20~ hours of gameplay, my brain barely notices anymore.

TintoConCasera

I’m level 45, remember I got the game late, so I bet you’re further in to the game than me.
Haha right! But I was one week on vacation so I couldn't play. Now I'm just a bit further than you.

That fight I beat first try, don't remember having much trouble but maybe I was lucky and just had a good team agains him. For me one of the previous bosses, Fionn, was much harder, got a few game overs on that one.

I'm only at the end of the second area, but I can confidently say this is my favorite SMT game to date.
So far I can agree. SMT III had a lot of soul and IV is great too, but this one is just above everything else basically thanks to how well it plays.

Danjin44

That fight I beat first try, don't remember having much trouble but maybe I was lucky and just had a good team agains him. For me one of the previous bosses, Fionn, was much harder, got a few game overs on that one.
bruce-campbell-show-off.gif

Mercador

I think only the Nahobino can do it. If you change with one of the summoned demons they'll just swap themselves out not fill the empty slot.

So if one of your guys gets knocked out it can take two full turns to get them back. One to resurrect and one to summon.
Yeah, I'll take notice next time, didn't had the time to play since Monday but I'll have some time to play this weekend (and three other mini boss to take down)

Buggy Loop

Cumhail bitch slapped my party twice. I thought I was better prepared the 2nd time but I died even faster by some back RNG.

I think I’ll go do the side quests and optional bosses of 2nd area for a while.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Aside from the resistances (which obviously supersede eachother) do all the passive skills stack unless it explicitly tells you they don't (like the counter skills)?

Mercador

I'm around level 20, I wonder if I should go for Unforgotten Memories or Warrior's Conception they seems pretty much similar? Or go for the 150 one that heal up party?

Livein

Neo Member
SMTV feels like PS2 game remake.

That’s the short version.

For last few weeks I’ve tried to progress though the newest Atlus title, but it really has been a boring slog. For the reference – I love jrpgs – and adore Persona series. Completed P3, P4, P4G, P5 and P5R. Royal I believe to be one of the best games on PS4. I also enjoyed some more niche games like ‘13 sentinels aegis rim’, but SMTV… this is where I drew the line.

First things first – I know the game has rabid fanbase. IGN review became a meme – when in reality - I don't believe they were critical enough. Allow me say this, anyone who think this game deserves more than 6/10 should really lower Copium intake, those who see here GOTY material are too far gone.

After around 30 hours I finished 2 big areas. Heard there are 2 more, but I have no intention of checking whether that’s true or not. I'm done with SMTV.

Some thoughts:

- Graphically game looks extremely dated, everything from character models to plain (mostly deserted) environments – seems like it belongs in 2005

- Story seems non-existent. There are almost no dialogs whatsoever, for 95% time you just run through the desert and fight demons. Combat animations are fine, but Atlus showed in P5 that they can do better job.

- Characters are underdeveloped to put it mildly. There is zero emotion, zero tension. Nothing to care about. VO also is not really all that great.

- Music score is not bad, but it’s mainly background music. It has nothing on P5 or P4.

- Combat system is fine, but people are raving about it as if it was best thing since sliced bread. It is not. This is also not a ‘Dark Souls’ of jrpgs. Most encounters you can just power through with balanced line-up and stock of spyglasses/dampeners. You can do some creative things with Essences system and I like it, but decent combat is not enough to carry this title.

Bottom line – SMT is like Persona ugly cousin that you barely tolerate because you don’t want to piss the parents (Atlus). After all, P6 is coming next sometime in 2030 lol. SMTV will never become mainstream, not because it’s a hardcore jrpg – but because it’s really mediocre, boring title.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

In the final area I've had a couple of demons interrupt when I'm trying to recruit with unique conversations - Hydra and Cerberus, and Mara and Girimikelha (what you would expect for Mara tbh) - anybody had anything else pop up?

Also, my earlier post about how this hints at Nocturne, well they straight up say that Tokyo went through the Conception 18 years ago. So there.

For last few weeks I’ve tried to progress though the newest Atlus title, but it really has been a boring slog. For the reference – I love jrpgs – and adore Persona series. Completed P3, P4, P4G, P5 and P5R. Royal I believe to be one of the best games on PS4. I also enjoyed some more niche games like ‘13 sentinels aegis rim’, but SMTV… this is where I drew the line.

First things first – I know the game has rabid fanbase. IGN review became a meme – when in reality - I don't believe they were critical enough. Allow me say this, anyone who think this game deserves more than 6/10 should really lower Copium intake, those who see here GOTY material are too far gone.

After around 30 hours I finished 2 big areas. Heard there are 2 more, but I have no intention of checking whether that’s true or not. I'm done with SMTV.

Some thoughts:

- Graphically game looks extremely dated, everything from character models to plain (mostly deserted) environments – seems like it belongs in 2005

- Story seems non-existent. There are almost no dialogs whatsoever, for 95% time you just run through the desert and fight demons. Combat animations are fine, but Atlus showed in P5 that they can do better job.

- Characters are underdeveloped to put it mildly. There is zero emotion, zero tension. Nothing to care about. VO also is not really all that great.

- Music score is not bad, but it’s mainly background music. It has nothing on P5 or P4.

- Combat system is fine, but people are raving about it as if it was best thing since sliced bread. It is not. This is also not a ‘Dark Souls’ of jrpgs. Most encounters you can just power through with balanced line-up and stock of spyglasses/dampeners. You can do some creative things with Essences system and I like it, but decent combat is not enough to carry this title.

Bottom line – SMT is like Persona ugly cousin that you barely tolerate because you don’t want to piss the parents (Atlus). After all, P6 is coming next sometime in 2030 lol. SMTV will never become mainstream, not because it’s a hardcore jrpg – but because it’s really mediocre, boring title.
This feels like trolling with more effort.
:pie_thinking:

TintoConCasera

Has anyone encountered a demon evolution? In previous games I used to have some of those during my playthrough, specially with the Angels, but not in SMT V.

MudoSkills

Has anyone encountered a demon evolution?
Nope, and I had some demons that evolved in Nocturne knocking about for a while in stock and nothing happened, and I've not had anything a level up suggesting a change might happen.

I'm at 60% compendium so expect it would have happened at some point.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Some thoughts:

It looks great on Switch. A bit blurry on handheld, but that is par for the course. I would suggest you look at what PS2 games look like as they look *nothing* alike. Compare SMT3 Nocturne to SMTV. If you still claim that SMTV looks like a PS2 game, then you are just a blatant troll.
Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei. This is what the games are about. Primarily gameplay with the struggle coming through with barely surviving in this very harsh, very deadly world. If you want a heavily story driven experience, then go play Persona. SMT is not about the story/characters. Its about struggling and ideological warfare (Order vs Chaos vs Neutral)
The characters exist to educate the player on the ideological views that hte game wants to impart and allow the player to organically choose. SMTV does a great job with this.
This is subjective and I can't necessarily disagree with you. Personally I find hte music excellent, but it definitely isn't as "catchy" as Persona, but they never are.
Sounds like you didn't do much of the side content. Having to constantly rearrange your team, meld/fuse to just survive against some of the optional side quest bosses (let alone main quest bosses on Normal and Hard). This combat system only gets more and more complex and fascinating as you get further in the game. You barely even hit the 30 to 35% mark.

Sounds like you just want Persona and never game SMT a chance. You came in expecting it to be like Persona when the series never has been.

McCheese

I'm with you on this one.

The open world stuff feels like the developer went into a coma before Shadow of the Colossus came out on PS2, then woke up and made this game. nothing moves or animates, the hit boxes are really crude, and the basic jumping and sprint actions themselves feel like absolute shit. Quite how they made an Unreal Engine 3 game feel this dated I have no idea. It's very similar to the Persona's dungeons, but those formed part of a larger game and so didn't come under as much scrutiny, where as in this title the open world is like 90% of the game - and with so many hidden things to hunt down, it's pretty unforgivable that the transversal is so basic. Every hidden thing is either "here is a really easy to miss path" off to the side, or "jump up these 2 copy-and-paste ledges". If they had some Zelda style physics stuff in there, or dare I say it, some actual puzzles, would have added so much to the game.

I found the demon/essence stuff to be one of those concepts I liked more on paper than in execution. The demons have no real character outside of their model, it's not like Pokemon where you can have a favourite and tweak them with skills and abilities to carry you into the later game. With this the demons are just completely disposable, you just pick one which has guard against whatever attack the next boss has, then throw them in the fucking trash once you get to the next area. There is really no point in investing any of your buff items until late game, as no matter which demon you are using, around the corner you'll find a new demon with similar spells and skills, at a higher level, with higher base stats.

They should have embraced rng a bit more, have demons all have slightly different stats or have rare versions appear with special abilities or something. But nope, you caught one, you caught them fucking all.

Clocked 40 hours now and music is still shit, it's either just random creepy noises or LOUD URGENT BATTLE MUSIC with zero nuance, like you accidentally walk into a demon 20 levels lower than you who was trying to run away and it still plays this thrash metal shit like your life depends on it.

Come at me NeoGaf!

Danjin44

With this the demons are just completely disposable
Thats SMT and not a Pokemon game, you are encouraged to consistently recruit demon and fuse them and in SMTV they are Demons with unique skills that can't be transferred to other Demons.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I saw some of the super strong demons in someone’s party. Do a lot of people plan on obtaining every single demon? I tried getting as many powerful demons as possible, but I know I won’t get some of the incredibly strong demons for my party. Playing SMT 1/2 with a Game Shark would be awesome due to how much better the combat system has gotten. While I enjoy all these games, completing the entire compendium isn’t something I do. I’ve finished the campaign to SMTV after many hours of grinding and stat manipulation. I really enjoyed it. I have a few minor gripes, but overall I had a good time with it. This battle system makes me anticipate the next entry.

Livein

Neo Member
I decided to clarify few things.

I agree – in the end – even though I like many jrgps - SMTV is not game for me. That said I didn’t come the expecting Persona – it’s just what I got – didn’t resonate with me at all.

I understand there are many people that love the concept, and more power to you – but there are some objective facts – that are hard to argue.

• Game looks dated. People might like the style, but everything is so… basic. Yes, I think basic is the word. Like PS2 basic. It really felt like Atlus B team was put into the project, and that was their first attempt at UE4. And yes, I understand Switch has its limits, but Zelda exists. XB2 exists. Hell, you can play Doom on Switch. So please, stop defending lazy job Atlus is doing here. I love the studio but drinking kool-aid never ends well.
  • ‘The characters exist to educate the player on the ideological views that the game wants to impart and allow the player to organically choose. ’ Damn, this one hits hard. People really have to think long to come up with stuff like that. I guess I just play RPGs for different reasons. As for Philosophy courses 101, not really a fan. Fun fact, no one seems to be opposed to the notion that characters are underdeveloped, boring and pointless. Like I said - zero emotions and tension. Great recipe for jrpg…
  • Music is subjective, but for some reason people are in love with P5 OST and not all that many even mention SMTV ground-breaking musical masterpiece.
  • As for Combat, as I said its pretty good. Been playing on normal and done most of the optional content (I didn’t do optional bosses on much higher lvl that are roaming first two zones). And as I said – I was able to one shot them with my balanced setup. Sometimes I needed 2nd try, but after you know what attack they use with Magatsushi it was very easy to counter with Dampener. Wouldn’t call it big brain strategy to be honest…
  • And I gave SMTV ample opportunity to win me over. I bought it day one and really tried to like it. After 30h I’m done with this boring slog.
Bonus feature for the dude that called my previous post as trolling attempt. I mean, it has to be easy living in a world where whenever someone disagree with your viewpoint – you just paint it as trolling and disregard. So - if 6/10 - that I would give SMTV really pains you – think that you can just put ‘6’ upside down and you’ll get ‘9’. See? It’s easy. Now the sun is shining again.

Danjin44

I decided to clarify few things.

I agree – in the end – even though I like many jrgps - SMTV is not game for me. That said I didn’t come the expecting Persona – it’s just what I got – didn’t resonate with me at all.

I understand there are many people that love the concept, and more power to you – but there are some objective facts – that are hard to argue.

• Game looks dated. People might like the style, but everything is so… basic. Yes, I think basic is the word. Like PS2 basic. It really felt like Atlus B team was put into the project, and that was their first attempt at UE4. And yes, I understand Switch has its limits, but Zelda exists. XB2 exists. Hell, you can play Doom on Switch. So please, stop defending lazy job Atlus is doing here. I love the studio but drinking kool-aid never ends well.
  • ‘The characters exist to educate the player on the ideological views that the game wants to impart and allow the player to organically choose. ’ Damn, this one hits hard. People really have to think long to come up with stuff like that. I guess I just play RPGs for different reasons. As for Philosophy courses 101, not really a fan. Fun fact, no one seems to be opposed to the notion that characters are underdeveloped, boring and pointless. Like I said - zero emotions and tension. Great recipe for jrpg…
  • Music is subjective, but for some reason people are in love with P5 OST and not all that many even mention SMTV ground-breaking musical masterpiece.
  • As for Combat, as I said its pretty good. Been playing on normal and done most of the optional content (I didn’t do optional bosses on much higher lvl that are roaming first two zones). And as I said – I was able to one shot them with my balanced setup. Sometimes I needed 2nd try, but after you know what attack they use with Magatsushi it was very easy to counter with Dampener. Wouldn’t call it big brain strategy to be honest…
  • And I gave SMTV ample opportunity to win me over. I bought it day one and really tried to like it. After 30h I’m done with this boring slog.
Bonus feature for the dude that called my previous post as trolling attempt. I mean, it has to be easy living in a world where whenever someone disagree with your viewpoint – you just paint it as trolling and disregard. So - if 6/10 - that I would give SMTV really pains you – think that you can just put ‘6’ upside down and you’ll get ‘9’. See? It’s easy. Now the sun is shining again.
Most of the your points comes from that this your first time playing SMT, and SMT are not your typical JRPG with character driven story, in fact in SMT 1 and 2 your are the one naming the side characters.

And most your point is not "objective" its subjective, you wanted normal JRPG out of SMT and that not what you got.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Seeing what the Demi-Fiend fight was like at level 73 was quicker than I expected. He gets the first turn, summoned allies and then killed the whole squad with Javelin Rain.

Also, I had that thing where Hydra took over a conversation again! This time it was with Orochi and he cost me a full turn. :lollipop_pouting:

Last edited:

Danjin44

I just beat Arioch and my GOD this guy was tough!!! His magic does so much damage and Decarabia he summons do heavy almighty attacks and increase their agility.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Other than Demon King's Castle, I've been having a lot of fun with this. I like how I have to keep optimizing my party. The story is ok though not much different from Nocturne.

Danjin44

Other than Demon King's Castle, I've been having a lot of fun with this. I like how I have to keep optimizing my party. The story is ok though not much different from Nocturne.
I liked Demon King's Castle, it was nice change of pace but that motherf**cker Arioch was tough fight for me.

TintoConCasera

What did you not like about the castle? It reminded me of Nocturne's dungeons, but on a bigger scale to acomodate Nahobino's faster movement.

The puzzles were a bit simple tho.

cireza

Banned
Game looks dated. People might like the style, but everything is so… basic. Yes, I think basic is the word. Like PS2 basic. It really felt like Atlus B team was put into the project, and that was their first attempt at UE4. And yes, I understand Switch has its limits, but Zelda exists. XB2 exists. Hell, you can play Doom on Switch. So please, stop defending lazy job Atlus is doing here. I love the studio but drinking kool-aid never ends well.
Outside world is PS2 level indeed, however I think that the demons are excellent. Well probably, as we cannot tell the details with all the blur.

‘The characters exist to educate the player on the ideological views that the game wants to impart and allow the player to organically choose. ’ Damn, this one hits hard. People really have to think long to come up with stuff like that. I guess I just play RPGs for different reasons. As for Philosophy courses 101, not really a fan. Fun fact, no one seems to be opposed to the notion that characters are underdeveloped, boring and pointless. Like I said - zero emotions and tension. Great recipe for jrpg…
It has always been like this in SMT. Characters are not super elaborated, you feel quite disconnected. It is more a game about having the feeling of being a powerful being that actually will have the choice to go in whatever direction he wants.

Music is subjective, but for some reason people are in love with P5 OST and not all that many even mention SMTV ground-breaking musical masterpiece.
Sound design is definitely awesome in SMTV. And it also was in previous entries. I particularly love Strange Journey.

As for Combat, as I said its pretty good. Been playing on normal and done most of the optional content (I didn’t do optional bosses on much higher lvl that are roaming first two zones). And as I said – I was able to one shot them with my balanced setup. Sometimes I needed 2nd try, but after you know what attack they use with Magatsushi it was very easy to counter with Dampener. Wouldn’t call it big brain strategy to be honest…
Combat certainly doesn't make you feel like a genius, but Persona is worse.

SMT is a series built around gameplay. Choosing to play means that you can be carried by gameplay only, as story has always been a bit secondary. What you spend time doing is exploring, fusion demons, tweak you skills and resistance to be able to make it further in the game. This is where the interest comes from, not from hours of mindless discussions between characters. And it's fine. Games need to be different.

Bkdk

The biggest problem for this game is direction. They can't figure out what they want in the end. They tried to keep it SMT but the endings were even worse than Mass effect 3, the choices literally don't matter to the ending scenes other than a few voice lines. Also it really seems they want to make SMT into genshin megami impact, but they don't follow that idea through either, they put a lot of work on some demons like idun, but they don't give them enough story or importance to those demons. I would be fine with either direction, but I just wish they would pick one and stick with it. If they want to turn the series into genshin megami impact, I'm totally fine with that, just give those cute/sexualized demons more story and more important role in a story of choices.

Danjin44

If they want to turn the series into genshin megami impact, I'm totally fine with that, just give those cute/sexualized demons more story and more important role in a story of choices.
What the fuck did I just read!? There is over 200 Demons in the game and not all of them is gonna be part of the story. Idun is just Demon you unlock when you do her side quest, same as Kohryu. Genshin Impact? WTF!?

Bkdk

What the fuck did I just read!? There is over 200 Demons in the game and not all of them is gonna be part of the story. Idun is just Demon you unlock when you do her side quest, same as Kohryu. Genshin Impact? WTF!?
You do some more research, they put a lot of effort on the ANIMATIONS in idun, clearly not just another demon to fuse, two of the dlcs are cleopetra and artemis, which is literally more towards direction of asking people to pay and collect cute/sexualized demons, not to mention amanzunoko, if you still don't see they are considering moving towards a lot more like genshin megami impact, I don't even know WTF are playing. That's not even mentioning how they completely botch the traditional SMT ending route, the ending route don't even exist anymore, it's just some stupid choices where you just pick one towards the end, with a few different voicelines. They are clearly moving further away from the traditional SMT and going more towards cute/sexualized demons route, I can totally bet on the next SMT will simply put out way more dlcs just to ask players to pay and collect those demons.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

I haven't played for a few days and am still on my way to the ending, but I did like the way that IV and Strange Journey managed the alignment stuff - with it being telegraphed throughout the game and moving based on lots of smaller decisions, as well as the bigger events. Nocturne was also comparatively basic in that regard.

Strange Journey is IMO the best SMT game out there.

TintoConCasera

Strange Journey is IMO the best SMT game out there.
I have to try that one again some time. The game was cool but the battle system and the music didn't do it for me.

Digital Devil Saga goes first tho. I've been holding on those in case Atlus decided to make a remaster like with Nocturne, but nah, I'll just play it on the PS2.

Last edited:

Nico_D

What did you not like about the castle? It reminded me of Nocturne's dungeons, but on a bigger scale to acomodate Nahobino's faster movement.

The puzzles were a bit simple tho.

The maze aspect. I hated how every dungeon was a maze in Nocturne which I otherwise liked a lot. I got so bored of them I just walkthroughs to get through them quickly.

Other than that, I thought Demon King Castle was visually very dull compared to all the other open areas. And I wasn't a big fan of the wind gimmick either.

But other than that, the game is awesome.

TintoConCasera

The maze aspect. I hated how every dungeon was a maze in Nocturne which I otherwise liked a lot. I got so bored of them I just walkthroughs to get through them quickly.

Other than that, I thought Demon King Castle was visually very dull compared to all the other open areas. And I wasn't a big fan of the wind gimmick either.

But other than that, the game is awesome.
Yeah I can agree in the maze aspect. To me it felt like a throwback to Nocturne, which already had lots of mazes since that games is basically a third-person dungeon crawler.

The wind puzzles could have been handled a bit better, but those didn't bother me very much in the end.

I had fun in that place, but mostly thanks to the increased difficulty compared to the previous area, specially with the bosses, and the banger battle theme.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You do some more research, they put a lot of effort on the ANIMATIONS in idun, clearly not just another demon to fuse, two of the dlcs are cleopetra and artemis, which is literally more towards direction of asking people to pay and collect cute/sexualized demons, not to mention amanzunoko, if you still don't see they are considering moving towards a lot more like genshin megami impact, I don't even know WTF are playing. That's not even mentioning how they completely botch the traditional SMT ending route, the ending route don't even exist anymore, it's just some stupid choices where you just pick one towards the end, with a few different voicelines. They are clearly moving further away from the traditional SMT and going more towards cute/sexualized demons route, I can totally bet on the next SMT will simply put out way more dlcs just to ask players to pay and collect those demons.

You literally are projecting onto this game with your own hang ups.

Danjin44

You do some more research, they put a lot of effort on the ANIMATIONS in idun,
Maybe you haven’t noticed but majority of Demons destined by Doi are much more detailed and have more animation than the old designs and that because those new Demons never had 3D models before so they made from ground up for this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom