• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster announced for Switch and PS4

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's Atlus USA's censorship that is the bigger concern so I'm more worried about them than Sony at this point.
Again visually they didn’t censor neither Persona 5 Royal and Catherine Full Body. TMS#FE was special case because they were going “T” rating.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Admittedly it's a long time since I played it but what would there even be to sensor? They clearly have no issue with demon design as they've used the same designs for P5/R uncensored.

Danjin44

Admittedly it's a long time since I played it but what would there even be to sensor? They clearly have no issue with demon design as they've used the same designs for P5/R uncensored.
Exactly! There is not much to censor in Nocturne.

Danjin44

No idea, I havent played it. Just saying, Sony's policy on censorship is not clear to anyone.
Like I said, if they didn't censor Persona 5 Royal then there is nothing worry about with Nocturne.

Heck! In Royal they included this Demon that wasn't on original release.
latest

39kks7hbbo931.png

Bakkus

Still have the PS2 version via PS3 BC and have yet to play it. Probably won't bother with the remaster. I am curious as to why a lot of people are hyping this game up. It has a 82 metacritic score. Is this hype warranted or is this another one of those quirky, cult classic niche japanese games like Deadly Premonition that gets overhyped?
An 82 for a JRPG released in 2004 is not the same rating as an 82 for a western 'AAA' game from the last two console generations.

Danjin44

An 82 for a JRPG released in 2004 is not the same rating as an 82 for a western 'AAA' game from the last two console generations.
Especially for the game that is very hard for people who are not familiar to Turn based combat.

TheMan

I tried this on PS2, but didn't really get into it. Maybe I should try again with this remaster...
Also, maybe they will call it Lucifer's Call in Europe again.

Same. I remember finding a copy at gamestop and the clerk whined that he had planned on buying it at the end of the day. I was disappointed by the relatively thin story but it was alright. Never got super far, probably got stuck on a boss. The game was difficult.

JTCx

Especially for the game that is very hard for people who are not familiar to Turn based combat.
Its more along the lines of the game's nature of the press turn system. Not the fact that its a turn based game in of itself. Its designed for the player to fully take advantage of to exploit the enemies and at the same time the enemies can do the same. It heavily punishes players who dont have a balanced party composition. Theres also the fact that resources and save points are very limited in Nocturne.

Bakkus

Seems the series were review bombed back in 2018 for something and wasn’t reverted. So don’t know how much of those may be caused by the direct.

Other witnesses say that the amount of ratings on those games had doubled after this mini direct. Which means what you say is right, but the bombers returned yesterday for another round. I bet 90% of these bombers are the ones with he/him in their Twitter bios.

Paltheos

At last, the king is back.
The greatest game Atlus has ever produced is again available on modern machines.
If only anyone could understand their developer. (Atlus, P4G on PC and Nocturne on Switch/PS4? I just don't understand the distribution.)

I think Dante will be in it. Otherwise they would have to go into the game and retweak it which I really do not see them doing.

The original Japanese release didn't feature Dante, knowing Atlus that is probably the one being used as a base to avoid licensing issues :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Will it feature our boy Dante?

Doesn't seem like it. Other people have explained in this thread already, but there's another version of Nocturne that was released in Japan only that substituted Dante with a character called Raidou who's from an SMT spinoff. Raidou appears in the trailer too so it's 99% this is the version we're getting.

That may be a downer but consider this: It seems clear Atlus will not be following in the footsteps of their previous remasters and enhanced iterations of shoehorning in waifus or drastically altering the original artstyle. We're safe.

I have never played any SMTs but I've read that some older SMT games can be insanely punishing. Is there truth in that?
I can't speak for SMTs 1&2 but from III onwards the mainline series has a few signature traits that can make it feel punishing:

If your MC dies it's game over, doesn't matter that the rest of your party is alive at full health, and no you can't bench him.

The series features instakill spells (with % to proc, though you can negate it with preparation) and comes in the usual flavours of targeting an individual or the entire party.

You've probably read of the Press Turn system somewhere. It's a win-more, lose-more type system where if you know what to do, you can shred enemies and if you make a mistake they can shred you.

This is going to sound stupid but I swear I'm not making this up. They saw Call of Duty breaking sales records and thought they could get comparable sales by courting a western audience. They sold a franchise high with DMC4, but compared the numbers to CoD, said "Why aren't we selling those numbers?", and decided the best course of action was DmC.
Sounds believable. Do you happen to remember if there are interviews or documentaries that prove it?

I do seem to recall the notion that RE6 was basically Capcom trying to inject RE with the COD-virus and Chris's campaign was sort of the result?

Looks like this is based on the very last version of Nocturne (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition which features Raidou ) as a base which never saw a release outside of Japan. This came after the Dante version. I am guessing that since this is a remaster HD, they will want to release the full on ATLUS version and also probably expired license to use Dante. Im ok with this.
Damn, if the license did expire then I'd say Capcom got a better deal out of it; they still get to use Kaneko's designs for Dante and Vergil in DMC3 rereleases.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Atlus is going to give us 4k 60fps on the Ps4 version.
Seems the series were review bombed back in 2018 for something and wasn’t reverted.
It was fixed. I checked last month.
Damn, if the license did expire then I'd say Capcom got a better deal out of it; they still get to use Kaneko's designs for Dante and Vergil in DMC3 rereleases.
Nah, dante and the craps from the new game were all in the phone game. So was Guts. (berserk)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paltheos

You've probably read of the Press Turn system somewhere. It's a win-more, lose-more type system where if you know what to do, you can shred enemies and if you make a mistake they can shred you.

Unless, of course, you're fighting Mot, who is a cheating whore.

I really just wanted an excuse to post this video.

Danjin44

I'm definitely thinking of buying Nocturne on Switch, long dungeon crawler like this game is much easier to play on handheld.

840.jpg

Last edited:

Graciaus

Hoping for a PC release. The last time I played I tried the hard type hack and found it annoying. Stuck in a loop of being 1-shot with little money to revive or buy skills to improve.

Nah, dante and the craps from the new game were all in the phone game. So was Guts. (berserk)
Shit, now I'm hoping that they somehow add Dante and Guts in since Raidou is already confirmed.

(I only ever played the Dante version, so Raidou will be new for me.)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, now I'm hoping that they somehow add Dante and Guts in since Raidou is already confirmed.

(I only ever played the Dante version, so Raidou will be new for me.)
Guts/Bayonetta might be on SMTV. He wasn't on 3. Just Dante and Raidou.

Truly the Hokuto no Ken of JRPGs.
I'm referencing the Arcsys fighting game where once an infinite starts, it turns into a one-player game. And the obligatory "OMAE WA MOU, SHINDEIRU."

Guts/Bayonetta might be on SMTV. He wasn't on 3. Just Dante and Raidou.
Yea I believe the mobage you were referencing was Liberation Dx2? (I haven't played it BTW, but I know of its existence.)

I'm just making wishes that they'd include some fun stuff in the remaster.

If anything, maybe we can get Demifiend in Smash.

P.S. I've always wanted an SMT fighting game, P4A is cool but SMT for me is where it's at.

Not only Japan getting one year early than in west but also they getting collectors edition as well.
BWStUce.png

I absolutely love that packaging but I'm not buying the game in Japanese and I already own a physical copy of the soundtrack, so it's pointless.

That packaging is genius though. I really want that little save point night light.

At least we aren't European. They get fucking nothing.

Ironically, Nocturne was one of the games they *did* get, as Lucifer's Call.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

They wouldn't even give us 4k60 on P5R, but you can do 4k60 with the PS3 emulator

Danjin44

Nocturne is a Ps2 game though so here's hoping.
Does it matter if the game runs 60FPS or not? this turn based game, extra frame is not going to effect the gameplay. I personally getting this on Switch, it going to be fun playing this on my bed before going to sleep.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Does it matter if the game runs 60FPS or not?
Yes, I prefer all my games to run at 60fps if possible. The P4G/Shining treatment would be nice. We are going to be paying 60 bucks for a ps2 game after all. :)

Danjin44

Yes, I prefer all my games to run at 60fps if possible. The P4G/Shining treatment would be nice. We are going to be paying 60 bucks for a ps2 game after all. :)
Its Nocturne, I will gladly pay $60 for that game and I'm soooo glad that its "remaster" instead of "remake", Nocturne's visuals is just timeless, there is no need to change it.

Top Bottom