• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster announced for Switch and PS4

yurqqa

Out of Nowhere !!!

Just tried it on DaemonPS2 (I know they just stolen PCSX2, but my moral compass is not that strict) today on my smartphone, thinking I should finally finish this game (I have PS2 version, but not much time at home to play it).

This is just what I need ! Guess I'll wait, especially taking into account that it was glitchy as hell on my phone.

Andyliini

I tried this on PS2, but didn't really get into it. Maybe I should try again with this remaster...
Also, maybe they will call it Lucifer's Call in Europe again.

Shantae

Banned
The trailer made me think this might have voice acting? This is actually a bigger deal to me than anything else about this remaster. I tried to play Nocturne sooooo many times, but the lack of voice acting just made the game feel so lifeless and static. I can deal with no voice on 2D games, but in 3D games, it just feels weird.

Ryu_Joestar

Will it feature our boy Dante?

ConsciousLongCaecilian-size_restricted.gif

Shantae

Banned
Fantastic news! Also October 29th release in Japan. Can’t wait!
Aw man, really? That sucks. I was happy when I saw SMTV is getting simultaneous world wide release, but I guess Nocturne is another one of those "fuck you west" games if we're waiting from October all the way to Spring.

ranmafan

Aw man, really? That sucks. I was happy when I saw SMTV is getting simultaneous world wide release, but I guess Nocturne is another one of those "fuck you west" games if we're waiting from October all the way to Spring.

well it probably will be Japanese language only so that will be a bummer for some who want it early. For me though it’s fine, Japanese is my second language. I do hope that V will be multilanguage due to the same worldwide release. That would be a nice thing to have.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
OH MY GOD FINALLY

I guess it's kind of telling, but this is now my most anticipated game. Either this or the Nier Replicant remake.

Yes, it's old, yes, I've played it before, but it's one of the best RPGs ever made. So glad Atlus FINALLY wised the fuck up and decided to re-release the really good SMT stuff from the PS2 era.

Shantae

Banned
well it probably will be Japanese language only so that will be a bummer for some who want it early. For me though it’s fine, Japanese is my second language. I do hope that V will be multilanguage due to the same worldwide release. That would be a nice thing to have.
I'm a beginner Japanese learner...I should be playing more games in Japanese, but my kanji recognition sucks lol. I could probably get through game-play systems fine, but once I try to follow the story, all is lost.

私はもっと日本語を勉強するべきです。

Last edited:

Raimond

I think Dante will be in it. Otherwise they would have to go into the game and retweak it which I really do not see them doing.

I think Dante will be in it. Otherwise they would have to go into the game and retweak it which I really do not see them doing.

The original Japanese release didn't feature Dante, knowing Atlus that is probably the one being used as a base to avoid licensing issues :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Vandole

I have never played any SMTs but I've read that some older SMT games can be insanely punishing. Is there truth in that?
I don't think I would describe them as "insanely punishing", but that's kind of a relative term. They are hard. Much more difficult than the modern-day Persona games. From the games I've played in the series, there are some nasty difficulty spikes at times, and those can get frustrating, but overall I've never came across something that I couldn't Get through with some grinding.

Carna

Banned
>anime dub voice actors from funimation and la studios taking the spotlight
no thanks

Last edited:

anab0lic36

What can we learn from this? Port beg enough and it can come true.

Probably means SMT 5 isn't till the end of 2021 though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome news

Vawn

Banned
I've never played a SMT game? Are the stories related to each other? Would it make sense just to play 3 and 5, since those are the only ones announced for Switch?

why did capcom think this glorious ham needed to be replaced with generic angst again?
This is going to sound stupid but I swear I'm not making this up. They saw Call of Duty breaking sales records and thought they could get comparable sales by courting a western audience. They sold a franchise high with DMC4, but compared the numbers to CoD, said "Why aren't we selling those numbers?", and decided the best course of action was DmC.

Good news.

Wonder if I will be able to finish it. Never played Nocturne before. I am yet to finish any smt game (persona or mainline) despite being extremely enjoyable for first 50 hrs.

Last edited:
Hell yeah! I've been waiting for it to be on a portable. Hopefully it gets a physical release or a special edition.

I hope the DDS games are next - even if they didn't remaster them, a port compilation would be fine with me. Raidou would be great too, but that is stretching the limits of possibility - Nocturne was relatively popular and the DDS games are pretty beloved, but Raidou was always off to the side as an experiment.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've never played a SMT game? Are the stories related to each other? Would it make sense just to play 3 and 5, since those are the only ones announced for Switch?

They are not related to any meaningful degree that you need to play the earlier ones. You are fine just playing 3. That was many peoples' first SMT.

5 no idea, might tie into 4 and 4A more, but that remains to be seen.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Still looks damn good for a PS2 game. I wonder if there will be voices added or if that was just for the trailer.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yeah, the stories relate. but the games have multiple endings and those endings create different continuity threads and it's all impossibly confusing to the point where you're better off not worrying about it. SMT3 DOES follow SMT2 but you don't need to have played it to follow along.

Top Bottom