• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto Used To Smoke In The Star Fox Office

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to the former Argonaut Software developers Dylan Cuthbert and Giles Goddard (the team behind Star Fox on the Super Nintendo), the one and only Shigeru Miyamoto would regularly enter their section of the office in Nintendo HQ, light up and share his thoughts. Cuthbert explains in detail:

The only place in the office where they allowed Miyamoto to smoke was in the place, the area where we were. He’d light up behind us and he’s, like, smoking away. And we’re, like, programming away and we’re like, ‘Oh, is he back again?’ So we’d be trying to implement something quite interesting, and then he just starts talking about trees or something, or, you know, just something completely out there. But we realized after a while that that’s actually the reason why he’s so much a creative genius. It’s because his brain is kind of thinking about all these different things at the same time.

Shantae

Banned
It doesn't surprise me, Japan has a big smoking problem I think, especially among office workers. When I was visiting there, I was amazed at just how many people were smoking outside their office, or inside those smoking booths they have. I am grateful they had those smoking booths, that way people like me who don't smoke can avoid the smell.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't surprise me, Japan has a big smoking problem I think, especially among office workers. When I was visiting there, I was amazed at just how many people were smoking outside their office, or inside those smoking booths they have. I am grateful they had those smoking booths, that way people like me who don't smoke can avoid the smell.
When you work 12+hour shifts with sort off mandatory "drinking with the boss" afterwards everyday can you blame them?

no

The Fartist

Gold Member
And now I like him just a little bit more.

7GuiSoH.jpg

Sweet Mickey Mouse tie, too.

Last edited:

RNG

The only place in the office where they allowed Miyamoto to smoke was in the place, the area where we were. He’d light up behind us and he’s, like, smoking away. And we’re, like, programming away and we’re like, ‘Oh, is he back again?’ So we’d be trying to implement something quite interesting, and then he just starts talking about trees or something, or, you know, just something completely out there.
NnHK.gif

According to the former Argonaut Software developers Dylan Cuthbert and Giles Goddard (the team behind Star Fox on the Super Nintendo), the one and only Shigeru Miyamoto would regularly enter their section of the office in Nintendo HQ, light up and share his thoughts. Cuthbert explains in detail:
Miyamoto has been smoking shit from the mushroom kingdom for decades now.

I find it funny that people now see cigarettes as something outrageous while smoking weed is totaly fine.

People used to smoke cigs in airplanes and classrooms. A lil' cig in the office was no biggie in the 80's and early 90's.
Remember camel toe joe the cigarette smoking camel who told us about the smooth flavor of wet ass pu..... I mean cigarettes?

The Fartist

Gold Member
I find it funny that people now see cigarettes as something outrageous while smoking weed is totaly fine.

People used to smoke cigs in airplanes and classrooms. A lil' cig in the office was no biggie in the 80's and early 90's.
While I enjoy a cigarette every now and then (use to be a daily smoker for 10 years) I think the recent shift in people's perception of tobacco smoking as a negative is a good thing. The people who have a menstrual cycle over it (cigarettes) need to STFU.

Oh, and weed is awesome.

GAMETA

Banned
Remember camel toe joe the cigarette smoking camel who told us about the smooth flavor of wet ass pu..... I mean cigarettes?
I think I remember seeing some Camel ads when I was a kid with maybe a cartoon camel, but I'm not sure it spoke.

I didn't usualy smoke Camel when I was a smoker though. It did taste good but was also very strong.

I was a Marlboro Gold guy.

GAMETA

Banned
While I enjoy a cigarette every now and then (use to be a daily smoker for 10 years) I think the recent shift in people's perception of tobacco smoking as a negative is a good thing. The people who have a menstrual cycle over it (cigarettes) need to STFU.

Oh, and weed is awesome.

Don't you think it's hypocritical though?

If it's purelly a matter of health, smoking weed can be just as bad (if not worse) for your lungs... then there's the fact that it gets you high and not as functional as if you were sober or if you had smoked a cig.

I dunno... I haven't smoked in 4 years but I miss it. I don't miss weed at all.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member

If it's purelly a matter of health, smoking weed can be just as bad (if not worse) for your lungs.
Maybe. There's no real evidence for that claim. You'd have to smoke like 20 joints a day, or more. I've been smoking weed for 15 years and have never been able to smoke more than 3 or four back in my heavy use days.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member

If it's purelly a matter of health, smoking weed can be just as bad (if not worse) for your lungs... then there's the fact that it gets you high and not as functional as if you were sober or if you had smoked a cig.

How is it worse for your lungs than typical tobacco? Carcinogens are bad to inhale, that's for sure, but I can't see how one's better than the other. At least weed has CBD, which is a pretty effective stress and pain reducer.

GAMETA

Banned
Maybe. There's no real evidence for that claim. You'd have to smoke like 20 joints a day, or more. I've been smoking weed for 15 years and have never been able to smoke more than 3 or four back in my heavy use days.
That's a funny one. The increase of lung cancer observed in weed smoking communities is no evidence? The fact that a single cigarette a day already increases your chance of developing lung cancer by a lot is not telling?

You're filling your lungs with smoke, man, of course it will be bad for your health.

It's funny how weed has become almost a religion in the US...

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
ten there's the fact that it gets you high and not as functional as if you were sober or if you had smoked a cig.

I function pretty well, but then I'm no rookie. Of course the first few times will have you seeing the matrix.

Missing cigarettes is obviously addiction. I will admit, contrary to what most stoners say, marijuana can be psychologically but not physically addictive. Where as tobacco or nicotine is both. Which is why I can't help but having a cigarette once a month or so. Sometimes a little more.

The Fartist

Gold Member
That's a funny one. The increase of lung cancer observed in weed smoking communities is no evidence? The fact that a single cigarette a day already increases your chance of developing lung cancer by a lot is not telling?

Your filling your lungs with smoke, man, of course it will be bad for your health.

It's funny how weed has become almost a religion in the US...
Oh I see, you want to have a little argument over which one's worse. Not playing that game. But as to that increase you speak of, I assure you those people smoke tobacco on the regular.

And yeah, it might seem like a religion because it's been illegal for bullshit reasons for nearly a century. Of course people are gonna be a little preachy when they've been lied to.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
How is it worse for your lungs than typical tobacco? Carcinogens are bad to inhale, that's for sure, but I can't see how one's better than the other. At least weed has CBD, which is a pretty effective stress and pain reducer.

I'd say both are bad.

Cigs are great for stress relief and better focus, so what? It's still bad.

Why there seems to be a Weed Protecting Force in the US now? Is the governmeng making a lot of money from it? I don't see how it's possible to defend it so blindly without some heavy propaganda.

MastaKiiLA

You could smoke in many places, including airplanes. I forget how weird that must seem to younger generations. Teacher's lounges were some of the biggest smokehouses back in the day. It was so bad my dad would always ask us to wait outside the lounge when he went in there. Also, it turned out my dad never actually quit smoking, but just hid it from us growing up. LOL.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I don’t think the claim is 100% accurate. I recall seeing an old documentary or picture- I think from the making of Mario Kart or Mario World that featured Miyamoto smoking at his desk.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

Oh, and weed is awesome.

When my pops turned 50, he vowed to quit smoking. Hasn't touched a cigarette since.

He indulges in the weed every day after work tho. I'll take it.

The Fartist

Gold Member
When my pops turned 50, he vowed to quit smoking. Hasn't touched a cigarette since.

He indulges in the weed every day after work tho. I'll take it.
Good for him, man!

"To me, weed is not a drug, y'know. It's more of a, uh, a confusing spice".

- Theo Von

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I would really start complaining if he would start taking shits on my chair

jigglet

Banned
I doubt he smoked weed, though, at least regularly. Drugs are super illegal in Japan today, can't imagine how it was in the 80's. I definitely see a mushroom trip or two in him as well.

I think weed is shunned but mushrooms were still easily accessible up until about 10-15 years ago. They used to literally sell them on the street cause of some legal loophole.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
I think weed is shunned but mushrooms were still easily accessible up until about 10-15 years ago. They used to literally sell them on the street cause of some legal loophole.
I did not know that. Wonder what happened to the loophole thing.

That’s it, cancel Miyamoto.

This is an outrage and an offense to all contemporary sentiments. I’ll get the lighter fluid....

Top Bottom