• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto Opens Up in New Book about Missing Late Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Iwata-san, a book published today in Japan by Hobonichi, includes a new interview with Mario creator Miyamoto on how he remembers Iwata, who passed away in 2015. A similar interview with Shigesato Itoi, the creator of Earthbound and founder of Hobonichi, is included as well.

“To me, he was a friend more than anything,” Miyamoto says. “It never felt like he was my boss or that I was working under him. He never got angry; we never fought about anything.”

Miyamoto says it was never a point of friction that Iwata, who was seven years Miyamoto’s junior, became his boss. “Normally, if someone younger than yourself with fewer years of experience becomes president, it might be difficult to get along with each other, but it was never like that. It had always been obvious that he was more suited for the position (than me), so it never became a problem. I think it allowed us to naturally become true friends.”

While Miyamoto and Iwata seldom worked on a game together (Pokémon Snap, an idea they conceived together, being one of the exceptions), the two shared opinions over lunch on a daily basis.

Miyamoto still remembers one of their first meals together. Iwata, who was running Kirby and Smash Bros developer HAL Lab at the time, was in Kyoto to work on a project. Late at night, they went for a bowl of ramen.

“Nintendo doesn’t pay for social expenses, so we had to go Dutch on the bill,” says Miyamoto. “That became a tradition that lasted even after he became company president and I became an executive.”

check the link for more.

Pagusas

Elden Member
crazy to hear a company like Nintendo doesn't pay for social work lunches. Even my company insist the we use the company credit card if we even mention work during lunch.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
He was CEO of one of the biggest companies in the world, and just like a simple person that he is, he enjoyed a bowl of noodles

F

Friendships tend to be made over food.

Good to hear that Miyamoto liked the guy and they got on so well that I recall that Miyamoto recommended Iwata to Itoi for Earthbound when it hit a snag.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Seems positive to me.

Death hurts those still alive.

I try not to get sentimental over people Ive never met, but Iwata had a bizarre charisma that makes me sad when I think about him being dead.

What a very romanticized memory he has.

How so? The stories are all kind of banal. Super hard working, devoted his life to the company, had a lot of friction with his dad when he chose software game dev as a career, and died young. No scandals, no inappropriate behaviour, just a super successful workaholic with a certain charisma.

Last edited:

cireza

but Iwata had a bizarre charisma that makes me sad when I think about him being dead.
This is true. Probably because he gave the impression of being a very honest person, passionate about doing the good before doing business (even if he was definitely running a business).

I am someone who loved the Wii U since day-one and play this console a lot, I am currently in a period where I am playing it quite a lot actually. This console has Iwata attached to it in my mind, like it is a manifestation of his legacy to video-game history. In some way this console does feel like it was also from another age, in some aspect, but it is still filled with passion and nicely crafted stuff and services that disappeared from the Switch. Wii U marks the end of an era, that's for sure.

There are many little things in the Wii U that really help create a smooth and pleasant experience. Like the quality browser, Youtube, Miiverse (that was killed but was a pretty nice place honestly), the very well crafted manuals that come with each game, how it adapts to what you want to do (TV or Gamepad) and the ability to control your TV with the Gamepad directly.

This console also holds the legacy of Nintendo, as you can play most of their major NES, SNES, N64, Wii, DS, GBA games on it. And in very good conditions since the emulation is very good. It was also BC with the Wii etc...

The Wii U feels like the summary of Iwata, and that era from Nintendo.

Iwata also represents a way to communicate to the players that changed quite a bit afterwards. You don't have Iwata asks anymore, and presentations are less funny overall, more serious.

And also, this :

Last edited:

Teslerum

It's sad to look back at the past, but I remember how you couldn't really post here about Iwata's death because something something Gamergate? (Don't remember exactly what it was) was more important.

Thankfully this forum changed.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This is true. Probably because he gave the impression of being a very honest person, passionate about doing the good before doing business (even if he was definitely running a business).

I am someone who loved the Wii U since day-one and play this console a lot, I am currently in a period where I am playing it quite a lot actually. This console has Iwata attached to it in my mind, like it is a manifestation of his legacy to video-game history. In some way this console does feel like it was also from another age, in some aspect, but it is still filled with passion and nicely crafted stuff and services that disappeared from the Switch. Wii U marks the end of an era, that's for sure.

There are many little things in the Wii U that really help create a smooth and pleasant experience. Like the quality browser, Youtube, Miiverse (that was killed but was a pretty nice place honestly), the very well crafted manuals that come with each game, how it adapts to what you want to do (TV or Gamepad) and the ability to control your TV with the Gamepad directly.

This console also holds the legacy of Nintendo, as you can play most of their major NES, SNES, N64, Wii, DS, GBA games on it. And in very good conditions since the emulation is very good. It was also BC with the Wii etc...

Iwata also represents a way to communicate to the players that changed quite a bit afterwards. You don't have Iwata asks anymore, and presentations are less funny overall, more serious.

And also, this :

I totally agree with this. The WiiU, as poorly marketed and branded as it was, had Nintendo DNA embedded deeply in it. It's almost quintessential when you consider it's the only console with HDMI that can play such a massive wealth of Nintendo titles throughout history. It can even run Gamecube games, natively, with no emulation.

They basically made a console style DS and didn't think it through much further than that. The fact that it was a poor product didn't change the fact that it's a very competent machine. If you could only choose one Nintendo system for all time it'd be a good choice.

I just wanted to say that I was thinking about this statement the whole day and I think you are right. That statement somehow touched me more than I thought.

It is true though. Most people bond over food or Ale or Wine, it really depends as it is a converation starter.

Perhaps this could work for relationships too. Instead of saying "Wanna go out with me?" maybe change it to "Do you like Curry/Ramen?". :LOL:

Hudo

It is true though. Most people bond over food or Ale or Wine, it really depends as it is a converation starter.

Perhaps this could work for relationships too. Instead of saying "Wanna go out with me?" maybe change it to "Do you like Curry/Ramen?". :LOL:
I am actually trying to apply that to a girl right now, haha (she'll probably say no but that's how it is).

Cynn

welp that's depressing
It’s depressing that it’s over but awesome that they had the relationship at all.

Miyamoto doesn’t seem like someone who would deal with crunch or extreme pressure / concept control very well. Him being given so much respect and freedom is probably responsible for most of his great games existing.

Remember when he took a pay cut so his staff didn't have to?

Still cuts me up reading his last tweet responding to the negative E3 feedback at the time, I hope he knew the Switch would go on to be a success prior to his death.

which was probably for pr and not much else because Nintendo was still making a profit even when they fumbled the Wii U and all that they always had a ton of cash.

his paycut was largely insignificant to offset employees paycut.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

And also, this :

[

Thanks for this post and i agree with it.

I 100% regret selling my wii u.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
crazy to hear a company like Nintendo doesn't pay for social work lunches. Even my company insist the we use the company credit card if we even mention work during lunch.
That’s the way every big corporation should be run. No bloat. I wish government departments, unions and large charities were this responsible with their money.

Iwata was a true legend, that one of a kind man that everyone has nothing but positive things to say. I love how Nintendo continues to honor his memory and it makes me even happier to see that every non idiot gamer appreciates what he meant to the industry.

Nintendo under Hiroshi Yamauchi & Howard Lincoln > > > > > Nintendo under Satoru Iwata & Reggie Fils-Aimé > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Nintendo since the passing away of Satoru Iwata.

The one thing I respect Iwata-san the most for was his programming skills on the game Balloon Fight for the Famicom/NES. His leadership was honestly a bit of a mixed bag I think, with lots of high points but also some of the most questionable things imaginable. In the end, I miss the man to be honest.

k7FarDO.gif

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

And also, this :

Love this guy.

RIP kind man.

Zannegan

Seemed like a nice guy.

And he nearly sank Nintendo.
I mean, sure, but only after he had rescued it from a slide into obscurity in the first place. Plus--given the extent of his involvement in the Switch's planning--it looks like he may have saved them yet again.

Then you look at some of the games he greenlit, stuff no one else would have given a chance--wild successes like Wii ___ and cult classics like Baynetta 2. And then there's his contributions outside of his CEO position. He helped make Smash Bros a thing and cement Pokemon's status as a top IP with Gold and Silver.

Yes, the Wii made some major missteps, especially as the generation went on; sure, the Wii U was just a bad design from the beginning; but the man got way more right than he got wrong in his time. Taking the long view, he left Nintendo in a much better place than he found it, IMO, both financially and creatively.

We shouldn't ignore his mistakes, but if you're going to lay that much of the blame at his feet, at least give him some credit too.

Hudo

Ask her what her favourite food is and go from there, my friend!
Just wanted to report that it didn't work out. She ghosted me, lol. Maybe it's something I said or did... In any case, it was nice to hang out and talk to her, though. But I didn't expect that short glimpse of happiness to last anyway...

But your tip about the favourite food was a great conversation starter, so it worked.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
They also don't lay off tons of developers. Iwata even took a pay cut at one point to prevent that. They seem pretty on top of things financially.
Nintendo is a very very rich company. They could have failing consoles for 10-15 years not making a profit and still have billions of $.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That’s the way every big corporation should be run. No bloat. I wish government departments, unions and large charities were this responsible with their money.

Amen to that. I wouldn’t invest in such a company. Build a gym at your HQ, and things of that nature if you’re trying to attract talent.

I am surprised that they went Dutch when eating together.

Just wanted to report that it didn't work out. She ghosted me, lol. Maybe it's something I said or did... In any case, it was nice to hang out and talk to her, though. But I didn't expect that short glimpse of happiness to last anyway...

But your tip about the favourite food was a great conversation starter, so it worked.

That's too bad. I was hoping she'd give you a little bit more of a conversation, but at least you got to get that food information in there!

There are always more fish in the sea! Keep at it!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Man Iwata was one a of a Kind, him Reggie and Shiggy teaming up during presentations etc.

Legendary

BlackTron

Not that hard to believe that WiiU can natively run Gamecube games when you consider it plays Wii titles, which used the same architecture as Gamecube and played them also.

In theory, the Wii mode of the WiiU would play them from a real game disk if the WiiU disk drive could read them, which it doesn't.

But any software GC boot loader for Wii will work on the WiiU also, from its Wii mode.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Iwata-san was one of the good ones. When you think of all the terrible scoundrels that are in this business, the cutthroats and pirates who only care about the bottom line at the expense of everything and everyone else, he was an icon of goodness, hard work and dedication.

Starhowl

I don't understand what people are writing about the guy and what it is that makes them feel for him.

Was he your close relative?
Was he your friend?
What is it, he actually created, that makes you suffer his loss? And - oh, please! - don't list *Pokémon* as an argument, yes?

It was one of Nintendo's worst times in my opinion with him - and I don't care about how many Wiis got sold, because it's great games I care about and not sales numbers. You might as well count millions of Farmville-players and you *cannot* be serious about that!!!! (E.g. millions of flies cannot be wrong - shit must taste great!1!1eleven)

I feel that after he passed away things have a chance of gradually getting better again.

I don't understand what people are writing about the guy and what it is that makes them feel for him.

Was he your friend?
What is it, he actually created, that makes you suffer his loss? And - oh, please! - don't list *Pokémon* as an argument, yes?

It was one of Nintendo's worst times in my opinion with him - and I don't care about how many Wiis got sold, because it's great games I care about and not sales numbers. You might as well count millions of Farmville-players and you *cannot* be serious about that!!!! (E.g. millions of flies cannot be wrong - shit must taste great!1!1eleven)

I feel that after he passed away things have a chance of gradually getting better again.

nintendo isn't what it used to be anyway, to be fair no game company is. the money stream is from services nowdays, they just make a few big titles to advertise and put on console boxes. but the volume of games is nowhere what it used to be.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Was he your friend?

he was one of us man.

Last edited:
Top Bottom