• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 looks pretty bad next to Yakuza

A.Romero

So a few years ago I got Yakuza 6 for the PS4. Some stuff distracted me so I didn't get around to play it right away and later the announcement for PC came so I decided to wait until it was a reasonable price (after all, I already had 1 copy). A few months ago I got Shenmue 3 through the Humble Bundle and I started playing it with high expectations because I enjoyed the first two a lot on Dreamcast and Xbox.

Regretfully I found Shenmue very very clunky and had a hard time enjoying it. I played like 2 hours in 2 different sessions but I didn't get hooked. The controls were not good, the mechanisms to explore, the way conversations were directed... It was just annoying.

A few months ago my GPU stopped working so I had to drop PC until I can get a new one (hopefully soon!) so I have been playing PS4 more lately. Yesterday I decided to start playing Yakuza 6 and I had a blast. You can tell the formula is very streamlined and mature.

So what gives? I'm not talking about graphics and stuff that is obviously impacted by the budget the game had, I'm talking about game design and mechanics. Why do I have to press a button to look at a piece of furniture, press another one to open a drawer and another one to pull whatever is in there? I mean, even LA Noire was a little bit more elegant regarding that.

I know Shenmue has it's own fighting system and that is very particular. I remember liking the one from the first games but the couple of fights I got to experience in my few hours of playing left me with a sour taste (quite the opposite from Virtua Fighter 5 which is a master piece).

How come Shenmue feels like it was done in a vacuum where other games that found better ways to do some things exist? Is it just negligence? Is it an ill attempt to keep it's own personality?

ethomaz

Banned
I found Shenmue 3 pretty good.
It has outdated graphics but everything else is Shenmue at very best.

I never get into Yakuza to be fair… I found the series pretty boring until Like the Dragon spin off.

I think it was purposefully designed to be similar to the original games. I want to say that Suzuki has suggested that future titles would be more modern since they delivered the old school experience with 3, but I could be wrong.

A.Romero

I found Shenmue 3 pretty good.
It has outdated graphics but everything else is Shenmue at very best.

I never get into Yakuza to be fair… I found the series pretty boring until Like the Dragon spin off.

I get you. Thematically they are very different. Even on the remasters Yakuza is subject to very slow starts.

From what I recall, the design of Shenmue 3 was to be as close to 1 and 2. They didn't overhaul it to make it like modern games, but to be the "quirky" Dreamcast sequel.
I think it was purposefully designed to be similar to the original games. I want to say that Suzuki has suggested that future titles would be more modern since they delivered the old school experience with 3, but I could be wrong.
This would definitely explain it. Thanks!

I'm willing to try Shenmue 4 with more modern design.

Fbh

Yeah, seems like they try to stick as close to possible to the original formula.

Which IMO is the main issue of the game. What was appealing about Shenmue back in the day (at least to me) is that in many ways it felt ahead of its time. What I've played of Shenmue III was the exact opposite, a game stuck 20 years in the past.

Thabass

That's because it is bad next to Yakuza.

But for what it is, I don't think it was a terrible game, but if they do make a new game, I hope it's a lot better than what we got.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Shenmue 3 is an indie game. It's not just "graphics" that budget matters for. It's got little to do with sticking to the original duo's design as they're also better games than 3.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Yakuza was born out of Shenmue and Yakuza has had a ton of time and releases to mature and grow. Play the PS2 titles and then play Yakuza 6.

Why? Yakuza PS2 games were not made within 5 or 6 years. I'm talking about basic design. Nothing stopped them from taking notes from newer games but apparently it was not an omission but something with purpose (which doesn't make sense to me as it is the worst way to appeal to nostalgia).

bender

What time is it?
Why? Yakuza PS2 games were not made within 5 or 6 years. I'm talking about basic design. Nothing stopped them from taking notes from newer games but apparently it was not an omission but something with purpose (which doesn't make sense to me as it is the worst way to appeal to nostalgia).

Because people Kickstarted Shenmue, not other games.

TheMan

Shenmue always has been an awful franchise, sorry to say. The third game doesn't change that.
I would disagree. It hasn't aged well for sure but Shenmue was pretty advanced in some ways on release. It had a world that was much more realized that what was usually seen on console.

Dav-Kripler

Comparing shenmue to Yakuza is like comparing kingdom hearts to nier.
mixed soup GIF

I donated to the game and wanted it to work but man I couldn't get through it. I loved the first 2 as a youngin and thought I'd get lost in this one but it just never clicked for me after giving it quite a bit of time

Aenima

Yakuza was born out of Shenmue and Yakuza has had a ton of time and releases to mature and grow. Play the PS2 titles and then play Yakuza 6.
Pretty much. I still remember playing Yakuza 1 on PS2 and thinking it was a nice game inspired by Shenmue, but not quite as good. Today with how much Yakuza games evolved and perfected they formula is the oposite. But Shenmue still offers an unique experience that you dont find in any more games. Despite the poor combat system, i loved Shenmue 3.

Azurro

Banned
This would definitely explain it. Thanks!

I'm willing to try Shenmue 4 with more modern design.

Well, there's also the fact that Yu Suzuki doesn't play games. The guy literally had no idea how far game design has come in the 10+ years since Shenmue 2. So yeah, you are playing a relic from the past with a shitty design from the past, fighting system and quest design are terrible supposedly.

I say supposedly because I donated to this Kickstarter, first and last time I ever do that, and after playing for an hour or so I just went: "nope" and quit. Clunkiest and silliest game I've played in years.

Last edited:

lachesis

As much as I am a Shenmue fan, (Shenmue 3 backer here & also platinumed Shenmue 3) - you can't really beat this amazing bread!

As late 2018(?) can't even remember game - Shenmue 3 in retrospect, considering the budget of the game and all - only thing that I really wished is more challenging and fun battles. (Other than really too old, 80's style storytelling).

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Shenmue 3 looks awful compared to every game.

Seriously, this game is fucking shit, people who like this has some weird gaming taste

Last edited:
Shenmue 3 didn't have a charming hassaku face! Steaming Onomichi ramen hat! Cute fish pouch! Cool boots, vital for any fisherman! Or a bold and trendy Ono shirt!

Really hard to compete. Enjoy Yakuza 6. It has fucking vibes.

Zero7

Shenmue 3 looks awful compared to every game.

Seriously, this game is fucking shit, people who like this has some weird gaming taste
I thought The Last of us was fucking dogshit, I don't get why people like that so much. Different strokes for different folks

how does a gpu stop working?

i have one from 2012 that still works

also my desktop from 2003 still boots

Do you play tackle football with your PCS?

Last edited:
Shenmue 3 was done on the cheap and with a small team, not the case for Yakuza. I remember all the so-called Shenmue fans mind saying it wasn't about the graphics and they didn't even care if Yu Suzuki even used the old Shenmue 1/2 engine. All that matter was the continuation of the story :messenger_smirking:

Always said Shenmue was an Epic and Shenmue 3 needed a big team and budget to keep the series legacy

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
In my opinion the series would've profited from being given a proper 'kiwami treatment' for the first two games to modernize them both in terms of the graphics and the gameplay. Instead they picked the route of re-releasing them in similar state and pleasing the fans with Shenmue 3, but I'm guessing there aren't many of them left and they'd still prefer a more modern game. Personally when I look how Shenmue 1 & 2 play I'm not interested in experiencing them and I'd rather go back to playing another Yakuza.

SkylineRKR

Shenmue 3 looks bad compared to 1 and 2 as well. It leaves a very bad first impression on people who actually started this franchise with 3. They old games are also slow games and not for everyone, but they do have more charm, better combat, characters and even story exposition. They do about every thing better. The combat of Shenmue 3 makes a case of being the worst beat em up combat of all time, its that terrible. There is no skill involved at all, the only thing you can do in order to not being one shotted is grind awful training to increase levels. Which in turn lets you one shot them.

Shenmue 3 adds nothing to the lore and doesn't move anything forward, I wish I never played it.

anthony2690

Banned
Shenmue 3 was done on the cheap and with a small team, not the case for Yakuza. I remember all the so-called Shenmue fans mind saying it wasn't about the graphics and they didn't even care if Yu Suzuki even used the old Shenmue 1/2 engine. All that matter was the continuation of the story :messenger_smirking:

Always said Shenmue was an Epic and Shenmue 3 needed a big team and budget to keep the series legacy
It is a shame how shenmue 3 turned out and how little it actually added to the story.

Hopefully the anime is decent and can carry the story on.

Dorohedoro

Shenmue 3 looks bad compared to 1 and 2 as well. It leaves a very bad first impression on people who actually started this franchise with 3. They old games are also slow games and not for everyone, but they do have more charm, better combat, characters and even story exposition. They do about every thing better. The combat of Shenmue 3 makes a case of being the worst beat em up combat of all time, its that terrible. There is no skill involved at all, the only thing you can do in order to not being one shotted is grind awful training to increase levels. Which in turn lets you one shot them.

Shenmue 3 adds nothing to the lore and doesn't move anything forward, I wish I never played it.
Especially not the "story". Imagine waiting almost 20 years for a filler game, a big fat middle finger to the fans of the originals. Now either just finish it off with a manga or don't even bother. The kickstarter for a 4th game would get like 50 backers.

Yep, I hate how people defend Shenmue 3 by saying they modeled it after Shenmue 1 and 2. It's only similar to 1 and 2 on a surface level. In almost every material way it's a very different game. Combat is completely changed and is now arguably one of the worst combat systems in all of gaming. The exploration was changed to be extremely segmented and shallow as opposed to being more freeform and natural. They added a bunch of "modern" gaming systems without any understanding of how those systems could be good. Such as a stamina system, grinding and world collectibles.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Shenmue 3 is pretty bad, even for a Shenmue game. I'm a Shenmue fan, and played them both as a child, but I'm not gonna pretend that Shenmue 3 was nowhere near capturing that magic. There are almost no story progression, and the combat is ruined.

SkylineRKR

The stamina system was god awful. You would likely run into a battle with only 3 dots left as there is no way to know when you get into one. Then you would reload and eat and then trigger the battle. Seriously the stamina system shouldve been axed. Not being able to run, why. It would work in stealth games that limits your escape forcing you to hide and regain stamina but here its just stupid. And it shouldn't be your health bar if it only recharges a few inches.

The worse offender though was that the city progression was exactly the same as the village. Goose chase, getting beat up, grind for special move. Its the same shit repeated. Even the special move is just a reverse version of the previous one, and ofcourse, doesn't work in gameplay yet again. You're grinding for a QTE. Man I hate this piece of shit.

Topfuel

Shenmue 4 x Sifu fighting gameplay mechanics (or what we have seen of the fighting) would have be nice.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

Yeah, its kinda obvious Shenmue 3 was like more of the same Shenmue 1 and 2, but the Yakuza series is more like a evolution of Shenmue, but on steroids.

I was dissapointed with Shenmue 3 too, i like to play yakuza and Judgment instead, still I'm not saying Shenmue is a bad game, i love the series for what it did, its amazing. But after you play Yakuza, its hard to go back to Shenmue.

It is a shame how shenmue 3 turned out and how little it actually added to the story.

Hopefully the anime is decent and can carry the story on.
Shenmue had a story?. Shenmue story was no more advanced than a Jackie Chan or Sammo Hung revenge film. It was the sheer spectacle of the game and its mad attention to detail that made the game. That mind needed a huge budget and over 200 staff. Anyone expecting a Kickstarter game to accomplish that were kidding themself's

anthony2690

Banned
Shenmue had a story?. Shenmue story was no more advanced than a Jackie Chan or Sammo Hung revenge film. It was the sheer spectacle of the game and its mad attention to detail that made the game. That mind needed a huge budget and over 200 staff. Anyone expecting a Kickstarter game to accomplish that were kidding themself's

I think in 1998/1999 whenever the game came out, it was a special moment in my young life, like I can imagine for many others here, there was nothing else like it, it's very dated now though.
I rather pretend shenmue 3 never happened and will accept this as the true ending.

Top Bottom