• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She has school tomorrow.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I saw it on Reddit today. I am not sure if it is allowed. Please delete if not. I couldn't believe how much she didn't care about what she did. I thought she was drunk or on drugs at first, but towards the end I wasn't so sure.

Full Video

A 10th Circuit Court judge has sentenced a Farmington woman who pleaded guilty to killing two pedestrians while driving drunk last April to 14 years in prison.

“Our system is based on punishment and rehabilitation," said Judge Tim Cusack on Thursday as he sentenced Stephanie Melgoza, 24, on two counts of aggravated DUI and two counts of aggravated reckless driving. “I have to balance those two. What is the appropriate punishment, in order to deter other people; and what is the rehabilitative quality of the person that’s being sentenced?”

Melgoza pleaded guilty in February to the four felony charges. Four lesser charges were dismissed in exchange for the guilty plea.

According to reports from the East Peoria Police Department, Melgoza struck and killed Andrea Rosewicz, 43, of Avon, Ohio, and Paul Prowant, 55, of Seattle near the Full Throttle bar in East Peoria.

During Thursday’s hearing, Melgoza expressed deep remorse over her decision to drink and drive and the fatal results of that decision.

“I’m so sorry for everything, and I will never, ever commit anything like that again,” she said. “I have not drank since that day. I do not plan on drinking ever again. I want to try to do something positive to make a difference, speak out about this and warn others about the dangers that come with drinking.”

Melgoza faced up to 28 years in prison for the charges. During impact statements from friends and family of the victims, Rosewicz’s sister, Sherri Hutchison, asked Cusack to hand down the maximum penalty.

The victims.
ROfVl9C.png

https://eu.pekintimes.com/story/new...son-sentence-for-fatal-dui-crash/70159340007/

Last edited:

Banned
She's might be in shock. Hearing you killed two people probably does weird things to certain peoples brains.

that's exactly what's happening here. her repeating the same question over and over again basically tells me she is denying internally what's happening... she's asking the same thing over and over in the hopes to get a different answer, like a broken record player.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
that's exactly what's happening here. her repeating the same question over and over again basically tells me she is denying internally what's happening... she's asking the same thing over and over in the hopes to get a different answer, like a broken record player.
I disagree I'm going with psychopath. If I was told killed somebody I'd break down crying.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
not everyone reacts the same to extreme situations. I bet therebwould be some that would be completely stunned and unable to say or react to anything
I think that would be an acceptable reaction. Her nonchalance along with trying to make the cop look like the bad guy for his comment by asking "can you say that as a cop" I knew she was a psychopath

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I read this and forgot I was on GAF. Not doxxing myself as I moved abroad 7-years back but I was from B/N and had to take a few business courses in East Peoria 13-odd years ago. Horrible place, run down, depressing and crime rate is super high. So...location checks out.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Wow…….

The world jail alone is enough for me to start hyperventilating. RIP to the poor couple that died because this idiot didn’t follow the one rule that’s implanted in our heads non stop since forever. Don’t drink and drive.

I’ve done too many stupid things in my life and been fucked up off almost everything. Not once have I ever thought of getting behind the wheel while intoxicated. I’d rather just pass out in my car. There’s always other ways. TBH I don’t even like driving off a single beer.

Last edited:

CGNoire

She's might be in shock. Hearing you killed two people probably does weird things to certain peoples brains.
Yah I thought that too especially since she also couldnt comprehend what the car being wrecked meant.......then again she could be a phsycopath who is just trolling the cop....your assessment is most likely the correct one.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I disagree I'm going with psychopath. If I was told killed somebody I'd break down crying.
I get it for sure but there is videos of wives being told there husbands are dead and they keep asking the cops over and over again "but when can I talk to him?"
Defense Mechanisms are crazy effective.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yah I thought that too especially since she also couldnt comprehend what the car being wrecked meant.......then again she could be a phsycopath who is just trolling the cop....your assessment is most likely the correct one.
Seemed to me exactly that, She was trolling the cop and when she gets a response seems annoyed

GymWolf

The only 2 times in my life that i had to drive drunk i was going at a super low speed, like walking speed...

Why do people feel like they can run when their reflexes are completely fucked?

HoodWinked

You guys ever heard of "moral luck" its a type of bias I learned recently but it explains the 15 yr sentence. There are millions of drunk drivers per year but most of them actually make it home without incident. Cosmically they've committed the same reckless behavior as this woman, however due to bad luck she hits two people who just happen to be crossing the street at the wrong time but also hits them fatally so we consider her actions to be heinous (even if we ignore her strange behavior).

Moral luck describes circumstances whereby a moral agent is assigned moral blame or praise for an action or its consequences, even if it is clear that said agent did not have full control over either the action or its consequences.

I am reminded of how insanely lucky I am when I see shit like this. Been sober for over a decade, but when I drank, I did it all day everyday. For almost 17 years I drove drunk daily, it became so second nature that I had zero fear of it.
Somehow, someway, I never managed to hurt anyone or myself. Never got a dui, hell, during that entire time span I only got one ticket for not wearing a seat belt.
I'll never forgive myself for a lot of the things I did when I was in active addiction, but I think about "what could've been" frequently. Even after a decade of sobriety, I think about stuff like that almost daily.

mortal

Gold Member
I can't believe this bitch only got 14 years for killing 2 people.
I guarantee if it were a man they would've thrown the book at him, and rightfully so.

She is shielded from seeing the consequences of her actions. I can understand the denial, but it would be harder to deny if she had her face rubbed in the pools of blood on the street.

LordOfChaos

Midway through her face was giving me chills. Even if you were drunk, she's upright and talking somewhat clearly, you'd fucking care if you killed two people, she doesn't. Face of a psychopath maybe.

I am reminded of how insanely lucky I am when I see shit like this. Been sober for over a decade, but when I drank, I did it all day everyday. For almost 17 years I drove drunk daily, it became so second nature that I had zero fear of it.
Somehow, someway, I never managed to hurt anyone or myself. Never got a dui, hell, during that entire time span I only got one ticket for not wearing a seat belt.
I'll never forgive myself for a lot of the things I did when I was in active addiction, but I think about "what could've been" frequently. Even after a decade of sobriety, I think about stuff like that almost daily.
We all do stupid shit. Once after a club when I was in my late tens partying, me and my friends got into a car and we were all drunk as hell, the driver as well, and me and a girl went into the trunk to get a lift back home. Couldn't believe how stupid I was afterwards

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
No, I'm talking about her inability to comprehend what she did was wrong.
I'm gonna bet that the person found guilty of a DUI was drunk in that video.

Im pretty sure there referrencing the societal effects of our current postmodern crisis of moral relativism and not the DUI laws.
This is non sensical gibberish. I've never heard anyone apply moral relativism to DUI laws, and even if it had been why exactly is it relevant when in the past DUIs were treated by society as essentially a rite of passage?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Insane, that cop is patient, I couldn't do this shit.
No, that cop should STFU and not pass any comments. WTF is this dystopian country that is called the USA? Also - she should rot in jail, but the judge can also be a bit more honest, let me fix that:

“Our system is based on punishment and punishment," said Judge Tim Cusack on Thursday as he sentenced Stephanie Melgoza, 24, on two counts of aggravated DUI and two counts of aggravated reckless driving. “I have to balance those two. What is the appropriate punishment, in order to deter other people - fuck if I know, doesn't seem like it's working very well for everyone in prison in this country.; and what is the rehabilitative quality of the person that’s being sentenced?”

CGNoire

I'm gonna bet that the person found guilty of a DUI was drunk in that video.

This is non sensical gibberish. I've never heard anyone apply moral relativism to DUI laws, and even if it had been why exactly is it relevant when in the past DUIs were treated by society as essentially a rite of passage?
What is non-sensical or gibberish about what I posted?

The poster I referenced was implying that she is laughing cause she "thinks" they wont be any consequences and I said that there are reasons for that poster to feel that way. You are the one who keeps steering it back fo dui laws in which I never mentioned and neither did the other poster. IMO decades of post modern attitudes and moral relativistic thinking and there merging with corporate interests mixed with the gascan that is social media have greatly contributed to the current epidemic of shit parents and there underdeveloped and often psychopathic children.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Does it matter?
Since the OP posted the video - it seems like it does. Here's how many WTF moments you get from someone living in Europe:

1. Why is that video being released without her consent?
2. Why is the cop giving his remarks and opinions?
3. Why is it so fucking easy in the US to get a driver's licence?
4. Why is it so fucking easy in the US to escape punishment for DUI? In Europe the moment you get busted with a blip above the legal limit (which is hilariously low in some countries) you know SHIT IS GOING DOWN

I don't want to excuse her - she is a POS and should rot in jail. However the whole conversation is missing a few crucial things.

Top Bottom