• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden: Consolidation is the enemy of diversity

Consoles sell Gamepass, Gamepass sells consoles, both sell micro transactions, both ultimately get people into the ecosystem.

It's not as if Gamepass users all don't buy games or spend money on mtx or accessories etc. , so it's just the hook to get consumers into the ecosystem and their multitude of revenue streams.

So even if Gamepass doesn't work on its own, it is working when in conjunction with everything else.
This basically, even Sony makes more money from subscriptions, 3rd party games and DLC's (most from 3rd party aswell) than from their first party videogames sales, what matters is to attract the people to your console so they buy all this stuff

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
AAA single player gamers right now...

245.gif

The next 5 years is going to be awfully interesting.

leizzra

People should be aware that those are costs for only one game. Look at how many studios Microsoft now has. Most of them are making at least one big game. Then there are other smaller titles worth milions and 3rd party games for which Microsoft need to pay. There are costs in servers, customer service, marketing, ect. And on top of that it's not like those numbers are needed for company to get only even. Investors are looking for concrete results.

I think that he knows what he's saying - he was in the company which was/is in the big race. It's not like only Microsoft thought about that.

I'm not so sure I agree with the Gamepass part. Doesn't Gamepass allow diversity due to not relying on game sales. It's great for developers who need that extra funding, take Euyenden Forgot that name of the game but basically a Suikdoen successor. That's gonna be on Gamepass, thanks to that extra money Microsoft has given them it allows them to make a better game and have a viggr audience to try out the game as it will be on Gamepass, this could lead to a sequel if successful due to the extra Gamepass audience and extra funding form Microsoft.
Your game still has to be relevant to MS before they even consider putting it on their service, in a full gamepass world there is no way for a kid that has a brilliant idea to just do it and test the market for it. That kid needs to get the permission from adults who don't really get kids by the time they are in position to make the decisions, hence the meme:
steve buscemi youth GIF

It stiffles risk taking. Just look at how bland and all alike current media is on the streaming services (even the paid ones) compared to the earlier times (especially back in the 20th century).

mejin

There are some crazy folks that really believes MS is making money with GP.

Anyway, consolidation is a real problem, but there are too many evil corporations in the market now, it can't be stopped. Sony and Nintendo just need to do their best and adapt.

Kagey K

Banned
I think the point the other guy was making is the $10 a month would not necessarily be allocated to offsetting costs of the one game. It may only be $0.1 for example.
Yeah, I'm just breaking it down as 1 user= $10.00 as per Shawns analogy.

Why would you need 500m subscribers to cover it if 500k/month covers the entire development of that 1 game?

Lets look at it like this, say the subscription base is 20m users, using Shawns analogy you could allocate 10 million of your subscribers revenue to making 20 games that take 24 months or more to make, and use the other 10 millions revenue ($100m/month) to fund 3rd party deals and indies.

I fail to see how you need 500m users to make the model work.

djkimothy

Math is hard.

Why do you need 5 billion a month to recoup a 120m multi year investment?

Also is the subscription the only revenue for said 120m game or does it also sell for full price and have a season pass or in game purchases?

I don’t think he thought this all the way through.

I mention this in the other forum. But that monthly subscription doesn’t just cover a games budget. It has to cover the business cost of running a sub service. That’s data centres, staff to run data centres, licensing agreements, and all other liabilities to run a studio like building maintenance.

Think of it similar to running a restaurant. Most place don’t make any money off a steak dinner. The cost that goes into a meal barely leaves a few cents for profit. They can’t just push bottles of wine for every patron.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gonna have to disagree with this bit.

500 million * $10 a month = $5 Billion a month in revenue. a $120 million game only needs 12 million monthly subscribers. MS has 24 million. His math doesnt add up.

Netflix has 200 million subscribers. They spent $19 billion on content every year and make profit. That's almost $2 billion in content every month for just 200 million subscribers. Even they dont have 500 million.

Microsoft's end game is definitely in the hundreds of millions. But if MS can get 50 million a month, their revenue will be $500 million a month. You can literally put out FOUR $120 million games every month and break even.
My own calculation comes down to roughly 220 million subscribers paying $15 per month. I can see the argument for 500 million subscribers paying $10 p/m.

Besides, if my calculation said 220 million and Shawn Layden said 500 million, I'd instantly abandon my thoughts and just believe Layden. I'm just a random guy on GAF while Layden was in the trenches. He knows exactly what he is talking about.

A.Romero

500 million * $10 a month = $5 Billion a month in revenue. a $120 million game only needs 12 million monthly subscribers. MS has 24 million. His math doesnt add up.

Netflix has 200 million subscribers. They spent $19 billion on content every year and make profit. That's almost $2 billion in content every month for just 200 million subscribers. Even they dont have 500 million.

Microsoft's end game is definitely in the hundreds of millions. But if MS can get 50 million a month, their revenue will be $500 million a month. You can literally put out FOUR $120 million games every month and break even.

Not saying Gamepass doesn't work (I'm a fan) but Netflix spreads their investments over a 4 year period so something that costs 100 million to make is spread at a rate of 25 million per year in the form of debt because that's the time they expect the content to bring benefits. Truth is nobody knows for sure how profitable the Netflix model will be in the long run.

Luckily that's something we don't need to care about. We get to only care about enjoying an awesome service.

Not sure if Layden's math is correct because there are many unknowns like how much of that money is spent on marketing and operating costs. At least we know they are better positioned than most and their infrastructure costs must be the lowest because of Azure.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is why Microsoft purchased Zenimax and Sony didn't. Sony can't afford to play in the game that Microsoft, Amazon, and Google play in.
Not necessarily. I think it just means that Sony believes that a subscription model may not be the future in the gaming industry.

And the current management (Jim Ryan) as well as the previous management (Layden) both seem to agree on that. They must have crunched the numbers before releasing statements like these -- especially Layden that doesn't have a stake in it anymore.

Interfectum

Even with 200 million subscribers they are still billions in debt, they should start seeing profits soon though after a decade
To be fair though, not only was Netflix in user acquisition mode the entire time but they also had to quickly setup studios and create original shows as their third party content started fleeing to other services.

MS can head a lot of this off at the pass by selling the service with mainly first party content. It'll be an expensive 4-5 years for them but if they snag enough users they are absolutely going to profit off of Game Pass starting in 2025/2026.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Netflix has very little shows / series that cost more then 200mill. Last I checked there was only five projects or less costing this much. If most games are in the 200+ category, he is right in that a massive amount of subs is needed. If you want , and you are going to need to, a constant streams of new AAA games.

elliot5

subscription service depend on gaas games and gaas games are not cheap
This is a Chinese studio
Imagine how much Epic and Rockstar spend each year on gta online and fortnite
Genshin is a strictly F2P game that relies on MTX and paying for a shit ton of server costs out of pocket. Not really comparable to premium titles included in a subscription.

Interfectum

Netflix has very little shows / series that cost more then 200mill. Last I checked there was only five projects or less costing this much. If most games are in the 200+ category, he is right in that a massive amount of subs is needed. If you want , and you are going to need to, a constant streams of new AAA games.
That's not true at all. Some of the most popular games released recently are nowhere near $200 million games.

reksveks

Microsoft are also probably waiting until they start getting people to create content for your game platforms like flight sim and then allow those users to sell to others whilst you just have to worry about curation and you also take a decent chunk.

Roblox (ignore the type of game) has a thriving in-game production process that shows you the next key evolution of games. Surprised that Fortnite hasn't done it yet.

Shubh_C63

I mention this in the other forum. But that monthly subscription doesn’t just cover a games budget. It has to cover the business cost of running a sub service. That’s data centres, staff to run data centres, licensing agreements, and all other liabilities to run a studio like building maintenance.

Think of it similar to running a restaurant. Most place don’t make any money off a steak dinner. The cost that goes into a meal barely leaves a few cents for profit. They can’t just push bottles of wine for every patron.
Not to mention how fast you earn your money back is the big question, not eventual returns.

Zeroing

Banned
Shawn has no clue how these service works. Just because you are in charge of something, doesnt mean you know everything about it.
We arent in the past anymore. These services dont only have subs fees as a revenue. There is the MTX, Dlcs, and game sales. When a service does all 3 of them, plus the subs fees, you are getting more revenue, and not bound by sub count at all.

People need to understand this point. Netflix doesn't have those 3 extra revenue like games have. You arent getting extra content for you movies. You arent buying movies from Netflix. You arent buying songs from Netflix.. You are only paying for sub fees. So people compare it to game services. which these service has those, and netflix doesnt.

EA got billions from fifa mtx alone. Think how much gamepass or any other servce that allows will get it from. Especially when they have tons of games on the service. Gamepass has 475+ games. How many dlc, mtx, and game sales does it do monthly or yearly?
All I said was we have no clue how the deals work because we are just making assumptions.
Your assumption is “leeching gamers with dlc, paid upgrades etc” is the future because it’s profitable.
Do we gamers really want that? Do we think that’s ok? Without all that techniques, services might not be profitable.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My own calculation comes down to roughly 220 million subscribers paying $15 per month. I can see the argument for 500 million subscribers paying $10 p/m.

Besides, if my calculation said 220 million and Shawn Layden said 500 million, I'd instantly abandon my thoughts and just believe Layden. I'm just a random guy on GAF while Layden was in the trenches. He knows exactly what he is talking about.
How did your calculations come to 220 million subscribers?

220 million * $15 = $3.3 billion of revenue every month and you are saying they cant afford a $120 million or $240 million game?

How do you think Netflix does it then? They have a budget of $17 billion a year.

If Layden said 50 million, i'd understand. 500 million is a nonsense number.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Not to mention how fast you earn your money back is the big question, not eventual returns.

YESSSSS! It takes years to make money back as one quarterly profits aren’t enough to pay for all that upfront cost MS had to invest in for xCloud and Gamepass.

It will be years before their ledgers are in the black. And with the purchase of Zenimax. It’s going to take a longer time as they now take on their liabilities as well.

djkimothy

This, seeing the armchair CEOs come out and dispute Shawn’s experience is just pure comedy.

His Game Pass math is off, but the comment regarding Web 3.0 is interesting because we indeed are integrating Internet and games into everything. Hell, even wars now are turning in some form of gaming with drones and so on.

Greggy

Microsoft can count, Shawn.

Also I'm wary of people who come out to say "X got it wrong, nobody has solved the problem and I'm working on it". First of all he's not new to this industry and secondly he's not giving even a hint about how to grow beyond 250 million consoles. Why do you even care Shawn, you no longer work for a console maker. Secondly who said you need to sell more consoles than that to keep up with growing development costs? May be if you're Sony or Nintendo which are device centered companies. Funny that he criticised the only business model that attempts to deviate from that. Anyway. I saw a very strong focus on throwing doubt on other people's strategies and nothing about what his might be. Sounds self serving.

SlimySnake

It really doesnt matter how much the shows cost. What matters is the monthly and yearly cost and they spend over $17 BILLION in programming every year. That comes out to be roughly $1.5 billion a month.

Netflix currently has 209 million subscribers. Their revenue last year was $25 billion from those subscribers. Are you telling me that a company that can spent $1.5 billion a month on content with 200 million subs while MS would need to have 500 million subscribers for just a $120 million game a month?

It's nonsense.

Business models mess with games content and quality. Soon, it will be our problem. It already is, in fact. Look at FIFA, lootboxes.

well until i see it myself, its not a problem. lets see the kind of qaulity we get from microsoft over the next few years. surely microsoft know there will be backlash if they start butchering games to fit a subscription model. you need qaulity to raise and keep subscribers.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
To be fair though, not only was Netflix in user acquisition mode the entire time but they also had to quickly setup studios and create original shows as their third party content started fleeing to other services.

MS can head a lot of this off at the pass by selling the service with mainly first party content. It'll be an expensive 4-5 years for them but if they snag enough users they are absolutely going to profit off of Game Pass starting in 2025/2026.
We'll see

Blond

Banned
I'm not seeing it... gaming is more diverse than it's ever been between Indies, PC, mobile, AAA, online, VR, streaming, etc. The only true threat to gaming is the total collapse of AAA as we know it (epic single player games that span 40+ hours at a one time cost).

Sounds to me like he's just pushing that new company he just joined.
I seriously doubt we game the same lol

The PS2 alone has enough variety that if you can’t find minimum 50 games you’re interested in you’re being a troll. The cheap investment and high return back then made back then made a lot of people’s dream projects come to life.

I once read an interview from some at EA that they could greenlight 40 games and only really worry about the success of 10 of them doing big numbers but that was going to change during the “HD” era where it wasn’t feasible for vanity projects anymore.

FranXico

well until i see it myself, its not a problem. lets see the kind of qaulity we get from microsoft over the next few years. surely microsoft know there will be backlash if they start butchering games to fit a subscription model. you need qaulity to raise and keep subscribers.
You don't see how EA already butchered their best franchises? Mind you, I never said this problem was specific to MS.

The back-and-forth that allows consumers to communicate to publishers that something doesn't work is direct sales. Once that is taken out of the equation...

sainraja

Shawn has no clue how these service works. Just because you are in charge of something, doesnt mean you know everything about it.
We arent in the past anymore. These services dont only have subs fees as a revenue. There is the MTX, Dlcs, and game sales. When a service does all 3 of them, plus the subs fees, you are getting more revenue, and not bound by sub count at all.

People need to understand this point. Netflix doesn't have those 3 extra revenue like games have. You arent getting extra content for you movies. You arent buying movies from Netflix. You arent buying songs from Netflix.. You are only paying for sub fees. So people compare it to game services. which these service has those, and netflix doesnt.

EA got billions from fifa mtx alone. Think how much gamepass or any other servce that allows will get it from. Especially when they have tons of games on the service. Gamepass has 475+ games. How many dlc, mtx, and game sales does it do monthly or yearly?
Well, games that heavily push MTX are usually games that are free to play anyway. Those games likely don't have an impact in favor of or against a subscription service but still I think this needed to be pointed out. MTX is how studios want people to pay for their F2P game. I mean, I don't need to purchase or sign up for a subscription to play Fortnite.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'd never thought I'd say it, but Layden's not counting a lot of factors here. I don't know if he's just trying to downplay gamepass or he just isn't savvy enough to fully understand the strategy.

Rikkori

This is one of the dumbest interviews I've read, but I guess it provides a lot of answers as to why Sony fired him. Guy can't even do basic math, to start off, then when questioned about indies - they can't afford development anymore?! In the era of boundless high-end free tools with incredible workflows & more knowledge and help available than ever? Just piss off. There's been plenty of hits recently made by small teams of <5 with stuff like Loop Hero, Among Us, AutoChess etc etc. The actual reality of it is that everyone CAN'T WIN, time is limited, and so only a certain few will win - the best. Has nothing to do with rising costs, inflation or all the dumb shit he still hasn't figured out that doesn't matter.
Then on the subject of not being able to get more money from players? Maybe pay attention to what's already happened and the world and you'll figure it out. He has a sniff of the right answer with his thoughts on metaverses but if you look at what happened in gaming it's been the breakdown of game components into smaller and easier to purchase chunks (dlc, cosmetics etc.) that has led to a large revenue growth, and so looking around at the world at large we can also see where it's heading next: it's going to be tied-in to larger systems and further broken down and commoditised through endeavours like crypto and other such decentralised & fully connected "metaverses", NFTs in particular will be HUGE esp. for MMOs. We already see the embers of this future fire with things like Steam Marketplace & Valve's moves where they had both an active economy going with it, but also empowered the users to participate and become stakeholders through their own creations being sold on the marketplace through the workshop.

This guy is just done. Utterly clueless.

The Shepard

I think he is being WAY OTT with the need for 500 million £11.99 subs needed to make it work and you know people are going to run wild with that now....

Who pays £12 a month for gamepass Ultimate? I got 3 years and top up costs me 70p a week.

Last edited:
"It's very hard to launch a $120m game on a subscription service charging $9.99 a month. You pencil it out, you're going to have to have 500 million subscribers before you start to recoup your investment. That's why right now you need to take a loss-leading position to try to grow that base. But still, if you have only 250 million consoles out there, you're not going to get to half a billion subscribers. So how do you circle that square? Nobody has figured that out yet."

I mean for sure yeah, it is a very difficult thing to do, but this is where economies of scale come into play. If you're a company and you have a shitton of cash at your disposal that can act as a security net, then in the case things don't work out, you don't bleed nearly as bad as the company who's ten times, twenty times smaller doing the same thing at that same scale.

I think back to things like SEGA's Gameworks investments in 1997, how those were hitting around $1 billion (supposedly) and just thinking to myself now like "there's no way they can sustain this", and there wasn't...but maybe if SEGA was 20 times as big in terms of cash reserves and net worth, they could've done stuff like that without it negatively impacting their console investments of the time (Saturn...Dreamcast arguably because some of that $1 billion probably could've gone into a DVD drive).

About Shawn's quote here, I don't know if the math actually checks out. If 500 million people are subscribing at $9.99 a month, that's $5 billion....a month. $60 billion a year. I think that's unrealistic for ANY subscription service tbh, but in terms of a game-oriented one you don't actually need nearly that many subscribers to start recouping investments. For starters, there are probably parts of a given investment that can be written over to other departments, as those components could be shared resources. Let's take Microsoft/Zenimax for example: things like the Orion (or is it Origin?) tech could fall into that department, because it can facilitate not just game streaming but also their mixed mesh VR cloud solution for enterprise environments, so that's something the Azure department could absorb costs-wise.

Also have to take into account that not all AAA games cost the same to develop. The type Sony in particular make can end up being costly because they focus a lot on mocap animations and high-priced VA talent, in some cases celebrity actors/actresses etc. making appearances, and their pricing can get expensive. Since some of those games don't offer a lot of avenues for additional post-launch revenue, they have to push the theatrical presentations very high to warrant high buy-in volumes at release, when the game is full-priced, to get the most potential profit.

But that's not the case for all AAA games, especially ones with multiplayer built at their foundation. Those kind of games may not push certain visual theatrical presentations as much as the aforementioned, but they still excel in their given genre or field, and have game designs that encourage further spending in that game's ecosystem (usually fairly and sensibly; there have been some bad examples however). The budgets on these kind of games may tend to be lower than the aforementioned, and that helps with creating bigger profit margins.

So let's say you create 4 AAA, $200 million a pop games in a year for a subscription service. I'm going to assume Layden included marketing costs in this because when I see similar figures for Hollywood blockbusters (i.e Marvel-like films) those larger figures also tend to including the marketing budgets. So... $800 million a year. That's a lot; assuming you'd want a 100% return in profit over the budget (so. $1.6 billion in revenue), you would need... "only" 16 million monthly active users of that subscription service @ $10/mo each, to reach that target.

That's FAR lower than 500 million users (which, again, is unrealistic for any sub service), and IIRC Microsoft have said their goal is 4 AAA releases a year, one each quarter, starting relatively soon. Supposing each one were ridiculously expensive to produce (which wouldn't be, if they're all sharing tech and other resources internally), technically speaking Microsoft are already at a subscription base that could facilitate supporting that financially.

I say "technically" though, because not all of their subs are actually paying $10 a month. Some are paying $15/mo, and some may be doing the $1 conversion from Gold to GamePass. A few others may be on a free trail. So taking that low-end 16 million base (GamePass itself has more subs than that), and let's say 25% of that current base are on the $1 conversion or free subs, that still leaves 12 million who are paying in full. In all fairness, GamePass itself is probably well north of 20 million at this point, maybe shy of 25 million, but keeping the 25% rate in mind (which might be too high; I'm just assuming it's a typical figure companies keep in mind for a portion of their base that aren't actually paying or paying in full) still gives them a base of 15 million - 18.75 million active subs paying full for at least basic GamePass, but a portion actually paying for the Ultimate version instead.

So for what a company like Microsoft would want in terms of supporting 4 AAA games per year, their GP numbers very much already provide the financial support for that, assuming they want 100% return in profit over production & marketing expenses per game. Thing is, they obviously have other expenses tied to GamePass, in terms of server operation costs, salaries for the team operating those servers, third-party content deals (ranging in price, but they start to add up), etc. Supporting that content pipeline along with the internal AAA releases and even the smaller internal game releases to the service would probably need a bigger sub base than they currently have to fully make that both sustainable and with juicy profit margins.

They wouldn't need THAT many more paying subs for it, though. I think once they reach around 32 - 36 million active users (at the pace things seem to be going for them now, they can probably reach that within another 8 - 10 months, and I might be conservative on that estimate), that gives them the platform security, revenue stream and profit margins (again, if they want 100%; they may not need or want that for every game on the service so that can drop the minimum active sub base for GP down a couple million) to make it a very viable platform.

...and that's, like, 464 million less ;)

kingfey

Banned
Well, games that heavily push MTX are usually games that are free to play anyway. Those games likely don't have an impact in favor of or against a subscription service but still I think this needed to be pointed out. MTX is how studios want people to pay for their F2P game. I mean, I don't need to purchase or sign up for a subscription to play Fortnite.
Why does fifa makes billions then? Shouldnt they make the game free?

As long as people are willing to buy, there is no incentive for devs to make their game free just to make more money on mtx.

Rainbow siege 6 is one of them. Its on gamepass with deluxe edition, which contains mtx.

There is also another reason to put the game on subs service. Destiny 2 has all big dlc on gamepass. People will sub to play those dlcs.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It really doesnt matter how much the shows cost. What matters is the monthly and yearly cost and they spend over $17 BILLION in programming every year. That comes out to be roughly $1.5 billion a month.

Netflix currently has 209 million subscribers. Their revenue last year was $25 billion from those subscribers. Are you telling me that a company that can spent $1.5 billion a month on content with 200 million subs while MS would need to have 500 million subscribers for just a $120 million game a month?

It's nonsense.
I think it does matter. Netflix needs new content fast, gaming Plattform would need it as fast. People playing a 10h game or watching a season of a series is the same time spend. The demand for varied and new content will be the same with the difference that games cost more (for now) then most Netflix shows.

kingfey

Banned
All I said was we have no clue how the deals work because we are just making assumptions.
Your assumption is “leeching gamers with dlc, paid upgrades etc” is the future because it’s profitable.
Do we gamers really want that? Do we think that’s ok? Without all that techniques, services might not be profitable.
70$ +20$ dlc is how much games these days. Plus some games has mtx, and cost 70$ to buy them.

You bet gamers will take the cheaper option to save money.

We were OK with the ARMOR HORSE. That is what let to this shitty situation. Because gamers had money, and didnt know what to do with those money.

Dodkrake

Banned

220 million * $15 = $3.3 billion of revenue every month and you are saying they cant afford a $120 million or $240 million game?

How do you think Netflix does it then? They have a budget of $17 billion a year.

Out of those 3.3B you have to take out

- Taxes
- Server costs (both expansion, capacity and maintenance)
- Staffing costs
- New game development costs
- Third party cut for games on service (they are not free)

Once you factor all those in, you will be very likely just shy of $1 (and I'm being generous) profit. And that's for 220M users on the use case there.

kingfey

Banned

- Taxes
- Staffing costs

Once you factor all those in, you will be very likely just shy of $1 (and I'm being generous) profit. And that's for 220M users on the use case there.
how many games are they making a month?
They get tax deduction.

Now add mtx, dlc, and game sales. After that, tell me how much they are left with?

this interview proves to me that Layden getting fired was the right move

the industry getting more and more AAAA is not a bad thing and I don’t see indies going away

glad Sony isn’t wasting too much effort chasing some nebulous niche diversity that is proven to fail

Shu seems to be doing a fine job in his indie role

SlimySnake

- Taxes
- Staffing costs

Nah, we know they made $2.5 billion in profit last year from 25 billion in revenue.

Bottomline is that you dont need 500 million subscribers to get a $120-240 million game every month.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

And $3.3 billion every month is $40 billion per year.

For reference, PlayStation earned $25 billion last fiscal year, which included a net profit of ~$3 billion. If we talk about Xbox and Gamepass, XGS is 2x the size of PlayStation Studios now. They also have roughly 1.7x to 2x more games in development. With each new subscriber, the additional cost for xCloud (which requires an XSX in the servers) also increases.

So if PS needs $22 billion per year to break even, don't you think XGS would need roughly $40 billion?

PS. Before anyone says I didn't account for retail sales and MTX and platform cut (other revenues), I also didn't take into account expenses such as failed products, server costs, third-party GP deals, etc.

Top Bottom