• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Shark" - Netflix gaming platform iOS app code contains images of Dual Sense and Ghost of Tsushima

Indyblue

What are people thinking this means? Psnow will be integrated with the Netflix app? Sony will suddenly start including their new games on the service? Will they then split that service revenue with Netflix? They will sell their new games to stream for $70 on the service? Does Sony want to sacrifice system sales to further PSnow?
Does Netflix even have good gaming streaming technology?

THEAP99

Banned
What are people thinking this means? Psnow will be integrated with the Netflix app? Sony will suddenly start including their new games on the service? Will they then split that service revenue with Netflix? They will sell their new games to stream for $70 on the service? Does Sony want to sacrifice system sales to further PSnow?
They could probably allow downloads or a pass.

Like how ea access already works on PlayStation. Just link ur PlayStation account with Netflix and boom download or stream games in the subscription

Boss Mog

I truly hope not. This along with gamepass/xCloud represents the "You'll own nothing and be happy" of videogames. No thank you.

I truly hope not. This along with gamepass/xCloud represents the "You'll own nothing and be happy" of videogames. No thank you.

There are a lot of casuals out there though. Casuals who are not much of a gamer to warrant a purchase of a gaming hardware, but would love to try and discover gaming even if has a little big of lag @1080p. This is for them.

Indyblue

They could probably allow downloads or a pass.

Like how ea access already works on PlayStation. Just link ur PlayStation account with Netflix and boom download or stream games in the subscription
Download games onto what though? Your tv Netflix app or your iPad? How would that work? Or you’re saying you could download games onto your ps5 just in the Netflix app? Is this just a way for them to not need a separate psnow app on TVs and such?
Are they just using the Netflix brand and hoping people will bundle a psnow sub with it for some reason?

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
No I mean free to Netflix subscribers? You implied every subscriber would automatically get psnow.

There are several tiers to Netflix. I could see them giving it free to the top tier or alternatively giving it free to everyone and letting people buy games one at a time rather than have an all you can eat buffet.

Hate to break it to you but even if you only buy Physical Disc you basically own nothing too since every game nows needs to be installed onto the console to play lol. Plus all the day 1's and future updates and fixes needs download.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yeah, the vast overwhelming majority of Playstation owners don't care about PSNow. And you think Netflix users are going to save it?

I honestly don't see how they could make it work. I'm sure if both invested heavily into the venture, sure. But there's tons of pieces that need to be put together for this to work.

Do they expect people to buy a dualsense?
Does Netflix price go up?
Would anything with a Netflix app be able to use this?
How would Netflix acquire the servers?
Why would anyone buy a PS5 if they've got Netflix.
Not PlayStation gamers, they can already play on their consoles. Xbox gamers will now be able to get a slice of the glory.

Bartski

Gold Member
Netflix gaming starts with mobile games as free addition to the servce

We’re also in the early stages of further expanding into games, building on our earlier efforts around interactivity (eg, Black Mirror Bandersnatch) and our Stranger Things games. We view gaming as another new content category for us, similar to our expansion into original films, animation and unscripted TV. Games will be included in members’ Netflix subscription at no additional cost similar to films and series. Initially, we’ll be primarily focused on games for mobile devices. We’re excited as ever about our movies and TV series offering and we expect a long runway of increasing investment and growth across all of our existing content categories, but since we are nearly a decade into our push into original programming, we think the time is right to learn more about how our members value games.

Last edited:
I like streaming (although irritated that XCloud is not available where I am right now in Japan) so hope there is some truth to this.

But it won’t be a GamePass competitor if it’s streaming only? And Sony don’t have enough content to sustain a service without third party - and if Netflix are doing the negotiating with other companies as it’s their service Sony’s small cut wouldn’t make this financially viable for them?

Think it through fanboys… Non-starter for me. Better doing it themselves, unless they don’t think they can compete and are essentially giving up.

Better doing it themselves, unless they don’t think they can compete and are essentially giving up.

I definitely think Sony should do it themselves. Cancel PSNow and create a new brand that will encompass movies, shows, anime, and videogames. It will not be a Gamepass competitor (small target audience) but a Netflix competitor (billion target audience).

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
And just like that Playstation Now has over 200 million subscribers?
tenor.gif

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
There is no future for game streaming.

How many times does it have to fail for the industry to realize? It doesn't matter...it will keep dying anyway.
Yes. Internet is too iffy in most of the world. Who really wants to stream? The subscription/ download service for games seems to be the best way to go. $9.99 for hundred + games. Download and play. That is why Stadia failed. No subscription library like Gamepass.

Bryank75

Banned
Yes. Internet is too iffy in most of the world. Who really wants to stream? The subscription/ download service for games seems to be the best way to go. $9.99 for hundred + games. Download and play. That is why Stadia failed. No subscription library like Gamepass.

Yeah, the tech advances too fast and is already way ahead of streaming in terms of image quality, sharpness, fps and input and output latency.

A subscription / download service is absolutely great and can make a small part or a large part of your 'gaming diet', depending on what you want.

Then you can pick and choose what is not on the sub (Whether that sub is PS+ / Gamepass / PSnow or anything else) from the digital or physical stores to complete your lineup each year.

With preloads and download times etc, there is no inconvenience......and the benefits to downloading the game are just exponential.

Does Sony get a 30% cut whenever someone subscribe to Netflix through any of the playstation console? Because the only way I could see this deal working is that the videogame addition (PSNow) will only come in the subscription if you subscribe to Netflix through PS console, then Sony gets its cut. And maybe only available on the higher tier sub.

Or maybe something like PS Music powered by Spotify? Does Sony get a cut with PS Music?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
This would potentially lead to a circumstance where PS Now could instantly eclipse Game Pass in potential users. Would they also possibly change their business model and start doing day ones also? Or day one premium access the way disney + did with black widow?

Very interesting!
that premium access is frankly a bs ..i don't think that many people have paid the extra .... but as such it is an extra indeed.

yurinka

Why would they canabilize their own service? Doesn’t seem likely.
Netflix has over 200M subscribers and is in more countries than PS Now.
If Netflix pays Sony for streaming games they have on PS Now, and Netflix handles all the costs and so on would be free money for Sony and to potentially (obviously not all Netflix sub will play games there) double their MAU.
A service like PS Now has huge server costs, so if someone like Netflix pays them would be great for Sony.

It would be a good deal for Sony, but I think that independently of them having this deal with Netflix or not, they will continue having their own PS Now because they have been patenting several cool related streaming tech and already talked to investors about future next gen PS Now plans to bring it to more countries, to support PS5 games and devices like smartphones or tablets.

And who knows, maybe it's only a deal between Netflix and Sony to offer to the Netflix subscribers a discount to get PS Now.

Jim Ryan himself said yesterday in an interview that they want Sony games to be similar to Hollywood movies in how they create emotional stories and such. Therefore they must think that there's an audience on Netflix who may be interested in cinematic games. This makes sense TBH and partnership is probably happening
Can you share the source link, please? Does he say anything else interesting about other topics in that interview?

The 'emotional stories', 'emotions' etc is something Sony people, plus Druckmann or David Cage said since the PS3 gen, at some point it became a meme. It isn't something new.

Does Sony get a 30% cut whenever someone subscribe to Netflix through any of the playstation console? Because the only way I could see this deal working is that the videogame addition (PSNow) will only come in the subscription if you subscribe to Netflix through PS console, then Sony gets its cut. And maybe only available on the higher tier sub.

Or maybe something like PS Music powered by Spotify? Does Sony get a cut with PS Music?
Yes, Sony gets 30% from any money transaction made in PSN for any game or app, and that includes subscriptions. Netflix also pays the people who puts content on there, so they would also pay Sony for giving them game content on top of the 30%.

Last edited:
Netflix has over 200M subscribers and is in more countries than PS Now.
If Netflix pays Sony for streaming games they have on PS Now, and Netflix handles all the costs and so on would be free money for Sony and to potentially (obviously not all Netflix sub will play games there) double their MAU.
A service like PS Now has huge server costs, so if someone like Netflix pays them would be great for Sony.
You have a valid point I guess. Considering that PSNow is still available for $60/year, then it still makes sense for Sony to have both to co-exist.

It looks like it's just a matter of Netflix paying Sony to include its games to its service similar to how they pay Sony pictures to have their movies and shows on its service. Sony doesn't seem bold enough to do a streaming service that will target the mass market on their own. It seems like they will stick to purely game streaming service for their future plan while cashing in some dollars through Netflix as a client.

Edit: Now that I thought about it. It wouldn't really benefit Sony that much with this set-up where Netflix just simply pay Sony to include their games on their platform. PSNow is full of games from other publishers. Can Sony cash in on them? Sony can only sell to Netflix their handful of first-party games, no?

And who knows, maybe it's only a deal between Netflix and Sony to offer to the Netflix subscribers a discount to get PS Now.
I don't see the point in this. If Sony only wants to offer a discount, then discount the thing to everyone. There's no point giving the discount to current Netflix subscribers only, no? Unless, in such a method of subscription, Sony gets paid by Netflix too.

Last edited:

reksveks

Yes, Sony gets 30% from any money transaction made in PSN for any game or app, and that includes subscriptions. Netflix also pays the people who puts content on there, so they would also pay Sony for giving them game content on top of the 30%.

Can you sign up to Netflix via the PS5/PS4 without getting bounced off device?

yurinka

Can you sign up to Netflix via the PS5/PS4 without getting bounced off device?
Not sure what do you mean, but I have a Netflix account and use it in a PS4, a PC (via browser) and in an Android TV box for two different houses at the same time.

I don't see the point in this. If Sony only wants to offer a discount, then discount the thing to everyone. There's no point giving the discount to current Netflix subscribers only, no? Unless, in such a method of subscription, Sony gets paid by Netflix too.
People call these things promotions: if you are a customer of something, sometimes they give you some extra benefits like discounts somewhere else to make their product/service more appealing. As an example, when I bought a Discord Nitro they gave me 3 months of Gamepass PC.

For doing this, obviously Netflix would pay Sony or Discord paid MS. Sony get free money and customers for doing nothing, so it's good for them. It isn't like to offer a discount for nothing.

Edit: Now that I thought about it. It wouldn't really benefit Sony that much with this set-up where Netflix just simply pay Sony to include their games on their platform. PSNow is full of games from other publishers. Can Sony cash in on them? Sony can only sell to Netflix their handful of first-party games, no?
Sony could include their own games on Netflix and Netflix would pay them a good money for them. This would be compatible with having them on PS Now too. Or maybe it's just a promotion where Netflix gives to their subscribers a voucher code of X months of PS Now.

To include non-Sony games inside Netflix, I assume they'd need to move the entire PS Now inside Netflix, something I think they won't do. Obviously can't decide to include games they don't own in other service, their publishers should license that.

Last edited:

reksveks

Not sure what do you mean, but I have a Netflix account and use it in a PS4, a PC (via browser) and in an Android TV box for two different houses at the same time.
As In the xbox platform, when you try to sign up, you basically put your mobile number in and netflix sends you a link via sms to your phone therefore you are signing up via web on a different device. I suspect that microsoft ain't getting a cut then. I am wondering how the 'sign up' process works for playstation, if you have the same process then i don't think Sony is getting anything of the subscription fee.

yurinka

As In the xbox platform, when you try to sign up, you basically put your mobile number in and netflix sends you a link via sms to your phone therefore you are signing up via web on a different device. I suspect that microsoft ain't getting a cut then. I am wondering how the 'sign up' process works for playstation, if you have the same process then i don't think Sony is getting anything of the subscription fee.
I don't remember how it works on PlayStation. I signed up while ago, and later my ISP gave me 2 years of Netflix.

Sony could include their own games on Netflix and Netflix would pay them a good money for them. This would be compatible with having them on PS Now too. Or maybe it's just a promotion where Netflix gives to their subscribers a voucher code of X months of PS Now.
It's unbelievable to me that Sony would be ok with this. This will not help grow their PSNow subs. This does not bode well for future growth. This will simply cash in pocket change from what Netflix will pay them. They have no streaming platform of their own to nurture. PSNow has no future for being "games only" streaming service. That business model has no future.

To include non-Sony games inside Netflix, I assume they'd need to move the entire PS Now inside Netflix, something I think they won't do. Obviously can't decide to include games they don't own in other service, their publishers should license that.
Yeah they can only sell what they own. This is pennies. I can't believe they will go this route. I hope this is not what this all means.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Netflix taking care of PSNow infrastructure is just wishful thinking. It's not like they can share infrastructure, PSNow requires Playstation blades which Netflix doesn't need now.

In addition to that, Netflix doesn't really have a lot of customer-facing processing infrastructure. They are excellent in using edge nodes to store videos. It's completely different than what they are doing now.

Sign me in for the "not happening" camp, just a mock design that got filtered.

yurinka

It's unbelievable to me that Sony would be ok with this. This will not help grow their PSNow subs. This does not bode well for future growth. This will simply cash in pocket change from what Netflix will pay them. They have no streaming platform of their own to nurture. PSNow has no future for being "games only" streaming service. That business model has no future.

Yeah they can only sell what they own. This is pennies. I can't believe they will go this route. I hope this is not what this all means.
We're just speculating, we don't know if there is some deal between Sony and Netflix. There's only a couple of images inside an app, that could be just some random placeholder images that a coder put there for something and forgot to remove them.

And if there is a deal, we have no fucking idea of which kind of deal is and how many millions would pay Netflix to Sony, so you have no idea if they are pennies or a great deal for them. Regarding growth, PS Now has like 3 million subs and Netflix has over 200 million, so it would be a great growth.

We're just speculating,
I didn't say otherwise. Why are taking this personally?

And if there is a deal, we have no fucking idea of which kind of deal is and how many millions would pay Netflix to Sony,
Yes, but the amount of games they can put out is limited. If this is the future they want, just providing content, they will be left in the dust.

Regarding growth, PS Now has like 3 million subs and Netflix has over 200 million, so it would be a great growth.
That is not growth on the streaming business. It's simply a growth on additional revenue on their games by virtue of Netflix's business.

THEAP99

Banned
Can you share the source link, please? Does he say anything else interesting about other topics in that interview?

The 'emotional stories', 'emotions' etc is something Sony people, plus Druckmann or David Cage said since the PS3 gen, at some point it became a meme. It isn't something new.
Interviewer: As the CEO of an entertainment company, do you often play games?
Ryan: Not as often as I would like to, but I do play as often as I can. I’m currently playing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. As I said before, this game stimulated my specific emotions and made me happy. For me this is a best game. Usually, I prefer slower-paced games, usually single player mode that requires me to think carefully and deeply. These are the emotions encountered when playing games, and can also reach users who like Hollywood movies.

When you attempt to register for a new account on Netflix via the app, it directs you to an external browser via a code. I'm about 99% sure Sony does not see any of the subscription money from Netflix or Hulu or Disney+ or anything of that nature. That's the reason the apps direct you to a browser instead of just letting you sign up directly there through the app. The app just waits for a confirmation code that the profile and payment option have been completed and then lets you in.

reksveks

When you attempt to register for a new account on Netflix via the app, it directs you to an external browser via a code. I'm about 99% sure Sony does not see any of the subscription money from Netflix or Hulu or Disney+ or anything of that nature. That's the reason the apps direct you to a browser instead of just letting you sign up directly there through the app. The app just waits for a confirmation code that the profile and payment option have been completed and then lets you in.
Cool, so it is doing the same thing as on Xbox and pretty much every other platform. I then am trying to figure out what Netflix gains from Sony apart from the IP (which would be a very big get still)

Cool, so it is doing the same thing as on Xbox and pretty much every other platform. I then am trying to figure out what Netflix gains from Sony apart from the IP (which would be a very big get still)
They gain legitimacy to their platform.

DualSense is a non-factor, that's just them allowing any type of controller and that's pretty standard.

GoT and other Sony games is gaining legitimacy to their service and also more chances to generate revenue for Sony.

yurinka

Yes, but the amount of games they can put out is limited. If this is the future they want, just providing content, they will be left in the dust.
Sony can put all the games they own in PS Now, Netflix or even Gamepass if they consider it makes sense. They are free to do whatever they want with their games.

That is not growth on the streaming business. It's simply a growth on additional revenue on their games by virtue of Netflix's business.
To increase their game subscribers from 3 to 200 is growth in userbase and in revenue. But we're speculating, maybe there isn't even a Sony+Netflix deal so doesn't make sense to spend with this.

They are free to do whatever they want with their games.
Why are you even telling me that?

increase their game subscribers from 3 to 200 is growth in userbase and in revenue.
If the measure of growth is the number of people playing your games, then give away your games for free. That 200 million is Netflix's subscribers, NOT Sony's subscribers.

But we're speculating, maybe there isn't even a Sony+Netflix deal so doesn't make sense to spend with this.
You don't have to tell me this.

Ok, just so we're clear and you don't keep telling me we're just speculating. The bottomline of my argument is that it doesn't make sense business-wise for Sony to simply be a content provider of games to Netflix. They are throwing entirely their dream of building their own streaming service if they do that. They will have no future in mass distribution in streaming if they choose that path. And it wouldn't even be lucrative for Sony, there's only a handful of games that Sony can make.

Like I said, the only way I could see this to work is if Sony will get a 30% cut if someone subscribe to Netflix through any PS console and the benefit of PS Now comes with it. But like some already have argued above, Sony doesn't actually get 30%.

Last edited:

yurinka

The bottomline of my argument is that it doesn't make sense business-wise for Sony to simply be a content provider of games to Netflix. They are throwing entirely their dream of building their own streaming service if they do that. They will have no future in mass distribution in streaming if they choose that path. And it wouldn't even be lucrative for Sony, there's only a handful of games that Sony can make.
Let's look it in another way: Netflix makes their games section with mobile games and a few (like Stadia) AAA games. They pay Sony like $100M to put there a handfuld of Sony games that are 2-3+ years old. Or instead of that, Netflix pays Sony a few dozens of millions of dollars to give their subscribers a few months of PS Now. In both cases, a portion of these new players would end buying a PS5 to play more Sony games or playing these same games on better conditions. Why would be that a bad business or why is negative for Sony?

Sony would continue with their main business which is selling (mostly 3rd party) games for PS and selling consoles. And they would continue expanding and improving PS Now reaching a library of over 1000 console games and implementing the related patents they have to improve image quality and reduce latency, bringing it to phones, supporting 5G etc.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Considering nobody can buy a PS5, and I have one monster of an Internet and a Netflix subscription - bring it.

ksdixon

If the gaming deal with Sony is actually a thing, would it not be considered an extra part to the other agreement about Sony providing Netflix film and TV content?

PS get access to Netflix's wider customer base, Netflix get first refusal on Sony media etc.

Let's look it in another way: Netflix makes their games section with mobile games and a few (like Stadia) AAA games. They pay Sony like $100M to put there a handfuld of Sony games that are 2-3+ years old. Or instead of that, Netflix pays Sony a few dozens of millions of dollars to give their subscribers a few months of PS Now. In both cases, a portion of these new players would end buying a PS5 to play more Sony games or playing these same games on better conditions. Why would be that a bad business or why is negative for Sony?
If addtional revenue is important, then why not also sell their games to Microsoft to be included in gamepass? Why only Netflix Gaming? You see, PSNow would die a premature death if Sony will do this.

(We are speaking here hypothetically, I am aware of that.)

Sony would continue with their main business which is selling (mostly 3rd party) games for PS and selling consoles. And they would continue expanding and improving PS Now reaching a library of over 1000 console games and implementing the related patents they have to improve image quality and reduce latency, bringing it to phones, supporting 5G etc.
You have to understand that PSNow is $10/month. How much is Netflix in comparison? If Netflix start to become serious in including game streaming in its service, there a lot of games from different publishers they can shop from. Sony's games will be a drop in the bucket and PSNow would die in oblivion.

I made a thread about Netflix gaming a while back and I argued there that if Netflix is spending around $20 billion for creating content alone, then just spending 10% of that value ($2 billion) for the videogame aspect would bring Netflix a lot of games already. And it will stack year after year. Obviously, Netflix can't just make new videogames that will be a hit. It's hard to nurture game studios and Netflix can't simply barge in the business and be successful at that. But what they can do with that 10% budget, that $2 billion, is shop around for successful games to put on their service.

That's why I think if Netflix eyes a streaming service of movies, shows, and videogames as a possible business model in the future, Sony should just create their own. They should not sell their gaming IPs to Netflix and watch as people get accustomed to streaming games using Netflix. Sony's gaming IPs are too valuable for their potential growth. They should play their cards right.

yurinka

If addtional revenue is important, then why not also sell their games to Microsoft to be included in gamepass? Why only Netflix Gaming? You see, PSNow would die a premature death if Sony will do this.
Because MS is their main competitor and Netflix is an ally beyond games.

You have to understand that PSNow is $10/month. How much is Netflix in comparison? If Netflix start to become serious in including game streaming in its service, there a lot of games from different publishers they can shop from. Sony's games will be a drop in the bucket and PSNow would die in oblivion.
Netflix said they will start including games at no cost and that will start with mobile gaming-like games.

Netflix may be huge for movies and tv, but maybe their streaming tech is crap for console-like games and they may have a tiny catalog. As of now Netflix has the asset of a huge amount of subscribers, who are interested on movies and tv but may not be interested on gaming. So they may be just another Stadia or Luna fail, or they may be huge. It's still too soon to know about that.

And if they have a deal, we still don't know which kind of deal they have. Maybe they just will put there a handful of Sony games? Maybe they will give their users some months of PS Now? Maybe they will only raffle a Ghost of Tsushima copy between their subs? Maybe PS Now is going to be their gaming part? Maybe Sony bought them?

It's too soon, but obviously if Sony agreed to make a deal with them it's because it will benefit them. All their records in recent years of revenue generated, consoles sold, games sold, engagement, game subs and so on prove they aren't dumb.

I made a thread about Netflix gaming a while back and I argued there that if Netflix is spending around $20 billion for creating content alone, then just spending 10% of that value ($2 billion) for the videogame aspect would bring Netflix a lot of games already. And it will stack year after year. Obviously, Netflix can't just make new videogames that will be a hit. It's hard to nurture game studios and Netflix can't simply barge in the business and be successful at that. But what they can do with that 10% budget, that $2 billion, is shop around for successful games to put on their service.
Yes, you need way more than to throw billions to be successful at games. Look at MS, Amazon Game Studios/Luna or Stadia. I'd bet they spend way more billions across many years -specially MS- and didn't recoup them.

That's why I think if Netflix eyes a streaming service of movies, shows, and videogames as a possible business model in the future, Sony should just create their own. They should not sell their gaming IPs to Netflix and watch as people get accustomed to streaming games using Netflix. Sony's gaming IPs are too valuable for their potential growth. They should play their cards right.
Sony won't sell their IPs to Netflix. In any case, Sony would license them to include in their service old games. But who knows which kind of deal they have. Maybe Sony bought them to put there their entire movies, tv shows and anime catalog and merge it with Crunchyroll, Funimation and PS Now. Who knows, let's wait and see.

PS get access to Netflix's wider customer base,
I don't understand this argument. Reaching a wider customer base, per se, by itself, does not warrant this. There has to be financial reason that makes sense behind this.

Netflix get first refusal on Sony media etc.
You're saying it as though Netflix has the upper hand in the deal. The fact is, Sony's media are too valuable that companies, both in TV and streaming, are outbidding to get them. It just happened that Netflix outbid them all. Sony's media also release on Netflix for a limited time only then they go to Disney+ as Disney also paid for it (but it's no longer exclusive at this point).

Last edited:
Because MS is their main competitor and Netflix is an ally beyond games.
Netflix will become a competition *if* they enter videogame streaming. And Sony's streaming plans will never amount to anything if they're thinking of licensing their precious gaming IPs to Netflix.

Maybe they just will put there a handful of Sony games?
I could see that working in their favor if that's the case. But I still doubt it.

It's too soon, but obviously if Sony agreed to make a deal with them it's because it will benefit them. All their records in recent years of revenue generated, consoles sold, games sold, engagement, game subs and so on prove they aren't dumb.
We are discussing the possibility of the nature of this thing. You can't use Sony's previous record to support one of your ideas of what this all means. We are precisely discussing what makes sense and what's not. I'm basically disagreeing with one of your ideas on how you think this means.

Maybe Sony bought them to put there their entire movies, tv shows and anime catalog and merge it with Crunchyroll, Funimation and PS Now. Who knows, let's wait and see.
Sony cannot afford Netflix, and I don't think Netflix is for sale. This idea of many people here in this forum that company can simply buy another company is absurd. The company has to be on sale first before it can be bought.

yurinka

Netflix will become a competition *if* they enter videogame streaming. And Sony's streaming plans will never amount to anything if they're thinking of licensing their precious gaming IPs to Netflix.
We know Netflix will enter the videogame streaming market, it's confirmed. But we don't know if they will limit to stuff like mobile games and stuff similar to their interactive Black Mirror episode. If they limit to this, they won't compete with Sony. Same will happen if they only include there only a handful AAA games, some of them are from Sony and they paid Sony a huge amount of money to put there a game that wasn't almost generating revenue anymore for Sony.

We are discussing the possibility of the nature of this thing. You can't use Sony's previous record to support one of your ideas of what this all means. We are precisely discussing what makes sense and what's not. I'm basically disagreeing with one of your ideas on how you think this means .

Sony cannot afford Netflix, and I don't think Netflix is for sale. This idea of many people here in this forum that company can simply buy another company is absurd. The company has to be on sale first before it can be bought.
Many purchased companies never publicly mentioned to be on sale until got acquired. As an example, on a way smaller scale see Ninja Theory and Tim Schaffer even mentioning how cool was to be independent and mentioning they didn't want to work for publishers and so on a year or two before being acquired.

Netflix is a public company, which means it can be bought. But just saw it has a market cap is over $200B, almost twice as big as the Sony one. So no, Sony won't buy it, specially considering how overpriced it is xDD

Last edited:
Top Bottom