• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Tomb Raider Nextgen patch Analysis (PS5 vs SX/S) - A Digital foundry video

Summary-

PS5 resolution mode version uses 4k CBR to maintain stable 60fps throughout the game. Very smooth experience overall.

Xbox Series X - Resolution mode runs at native 4k with no CBR or DRS which causes frame rate drops in cutscenes and few intense action set pieces with heavy Alpha effects. Overall it runs close to 60.

Series X version in Frame rate mode runs at 1080p but for some odd reason again runs at 60fps like resolution mode. Both modes give 60 but one at 4k and one at 1080p.

Tbh i don't see the point of 1080p60 fps mode much. My guess they just forgot to remove or didn't bother doing any thing with high frame rate mode.

Series S - I forgot. Watch video to know about Series S. Give DF few clicks :p

Last edited:

Mr Moose

On Playstation its PS4 version in BC mode.
Oh, it's old news then :messenger_weary:
Edit: I thought John did a video about the PS5 version which included the Series X about a month or so ago? I checked and can't see it, am I high or did that happen?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

1920x2160 (4kCB). I didn't watch the video yet, did they release a native version?

Do you know the reason they half the resolution of the horizontal axis and not touch the vertical? Is it because you move the view horizontally much more often in most games so it has more information to work with to reconstruct it?

Summary-

PS5 resolution mode version uses 4k CBR to maintain stable 60fps throughout the game. Very smooth experience overall.

Xbox Series X - Resolution mode runs at native 4k with no CBR or DRS which causes frame rate drops in cutscenes and few intense action set pieces with heavy Alpha effects. Overall it runs close to 60.

Series X version in Frame rate mode runs at 1080p but for some odd reason again runs at 60fps like resolution mode. Both modes give 60 but one at 4k and one at 1080p.

Tbh i don't see the point of 1080p60 fps mode much. My guess they just forgot to remove or didn't bother doing any thing with high frame rate mode.

A couple corrections:

PS5 also struggles with alpha effects in resolution mode, though not quite as heavily.

XSX doesn't run at a native 4K, it runs at 3584*2016.

The point of the 1080p60 mode is that you have basically perfect performance.

Series S runs basically perfectly at 900p60.

Mr Moose

Do you know the reason they half the resolution of the horizontal axis and not touch the vertical? Is it because you move the view horizontally much more often in most games so it has more information to work with to reconstruct it?
I remember a post on here a few years back when the Pro came out, I'll try and find it.
Edit:

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
giphy.gif

kyliethicc

Summary-

Xbox SX is not native 4k.

An actual accurate summary:

The PS4 version on PS5 is now 4K checkerboard res (1920x2160) @ 60 fps. (Higher res than on PS4 Pro - 1800p CB.)
On XBSX its dynamic 4K res (avg 3584x2016) @ 60 fps. (Same res as on One X.)
On XBSS its dynamic 2K res (avg 1600x900) @ 60 fps.

The XBSX version's frame rate dips more than the PS5 version's.

What does "(half of native 4k)" mean here?
3840 x 2160 = ~ 8 million pixels
1920 x 2160 = ~ 4 million pixels

They render half the horizontal axis and thus get 50% fewer total pixels per frame. Checkerboarding.

Last edited:
DF themselves said multiple times. 4k cbr is half of native 4k.

Native 4k at 60fps will cause sharp drops on PS5. So they went CBR route according to DF.

SX being more powerful can handle it better but still struggle under stress areas
This is still running legacy code from last gen, the guy doesn't mention that the PS4 Pro version was running with checkerboarding as well which it was so no they didn't add CB for the PS5 because it couldn't handle it that's just the way the game ran on PS4 Pro. This is just a patched BC game they weren't going to go back and change the native resolution and have to tweak a bunch of stuff on a 3 year old game, I'm surprised they even did this.

[4K] Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Every Console Tested - The Complete Digital Foundry Analysis - YouTube
Start watching at 10:45 and you'll see it's checkerboarded they didn't add it for the PS5 because it couldn't handle it like you said they did for some reason lol.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I remember a post on here a few years back when the Pro came out, I'll try and find it.
Edit:

Thanks much I'll give a read later on.

I dunno if its just the youtube encode scrubbing detail but the difference between PS5 and XSX at 8:50 is pretty minimal, I can maybe notice a difference in the sharpness of the specular on the guy's "necklace balls" when I pause and scrutinise but its not something you'd notice in motion imo. I find that insane when you are talking about nearly half the starting pixels - 4,147,200 vs. 7,225,344 if my maths are correct.

I see differences in distant detail on other comparisons in the video and the 800% zoom in shows the difference clearly but it seems like XSX should've gone with CBR or something similar to get closer to locked 60. If its mostly in the cutscenes then its not really a big deal since PS5 is dropping there too anyway and I'm not that bothered about 40 vs. 50 since either is going to introduce a frametime spike that ruins the smooth 60 motion, but if its in gameplay too then it will make a difference imo.

3840 x 2160 = ~ 8 million pixels
1920 x 2160 = ~ 4 million pixels

They render half the horizontal axis and thus get 50% less total pixels. Checkerboarding.

Mrs. Moose and others already told me but thank you, I'll try to actually remember this time since I think you and others have told me 10x before. I seem to always be asking this question on days when I have brain fog and it leaks out of my ears like flaming hot crème brûlée instead of sinking in.

I remember something about it in the RE8 DF video but is it suspected/confirmed that PS5 gives better results for CBR vs. PS5 Pro given the same starting resolution? RE8 looked really clean to me, much more so than I'd expect from the starting pixel count. Maybe there isn't a straight comparison though, I'm not sure.

Mr Moose

This is still running legacy code from last gen, the guy doesn't mention that the PS4 Pro version was running with checkerboarding as well which it was so no they didn't add CB for the PS5 because it couldn't handle it that's just the way the game ran on PS4 Pro and this is just a patched BC game they weren't going to go back and change the native resolution and have tweak a bunch of stuff on a 3 year old game, I'm surprised they even did this.

[4K] Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Every Console Tested - The Complete Digital Foundry Analysis - YouTube
Start watching at 10:45 and you'll see it's checkerboarded they didn't add it for the PS5 because it couldn't handle it like you said they did for some reason lol.
It's Tom doing the video, if I had known I would've skipped it.

Also a pointless video, we knew this like a month ago, even about the Series versions. I thought John did a video but my memory is shit, it was NXGamer.

Last edited:

Xenon

Worth playing for the levels. Best levels and tombs of the reboot trilogy.

Story is dogshit.

I only played through the 1st area I think. But I definitely will agree with the story being bad. I'm not a big fan of games self hating on their own genre. How stupid would it be if Street of Rage 5 was about physical violence is bad. At least with Uncharted there was some questionable motivations with Sully and Deake that could be be explored. I just don't see that with the tomb raider reboots.

Reactions: Isa

TonyK

I wish developers do these type of patches for all PS4 games. I know, it's an unrealistic desire, but it would be so great to play Uncharted, Dishonered, Prey, Fallout 4, Horizon, Soma, whatever, at least at 60fps or 4k.

I thought the same thing, but it was NXGamer, could've sworn it was John :messenger_weary:

Lol these tech guys and their dedicated threads are really confusing sometimes.

We should try having dedicated tech analysis threads here on GAF for each press outlet or YouTube channels (DF, NXG, ElAnalystaDeBits etc), only when they do it in a similar timeframe, i.e. the same day or within a week between each other's videos. Not this long.

If they cross that timeframe, we should just unify them all into one thread to avoid confusion.

But I swear I heard Tom from DF do this the next day the patch dropped. And watched the NXG video as well. Must've been my memory then.

//DEVIL//

Wtf at these consoles can’t run a 3 years old game at 4k 60 frames native . What is the texture details on these games compared to pc ?

Wtf at these consoles can’t run a 3 years old game at 4k 60 frames native . What is the texture details on these games compared to pc ?
It's weird because an RTX 2080 can fairly easily do it. I know the consoles are a bit weaker, but not that much weaker lmao.

Lucky8BB

Banned
This is still very demanding game. You need RTX 2080ti if you want to play shadow of the tomb raider at 4K 60fps maxed out, while these consoles are more like 2080/2070S (raster performance) and they are running this game in BC mode on top of that.

shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-3840-2160.png

Last edited:

Kenpachii

This is still very demanding game. You need RTX 2080ti if you want to play shadow of the tomb raider at 4K 60fps maxed out, while these consoles are more like 2080/2070S (raster performance) and they are running this game in BC mode on top of that.

shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-3840-2160.png

That's probably with RT on

It's weird because an RTX 2080 can fairly easily do it. I know the consoles are a bit weaker, but not that much weaker lmao.

The PS5 is pretty close to a 2080 in rasterization (actually between a 2070 Super and 2080, closer to a 2080, think how the base PS4 is closer to the GCN HD 7870 than the 7850) and the Series X is a little bit faster than a 2080 Super in rasterization, sits between a 2080 Super and 2080 Ti. Then you've got bandwidth/ i/o throughput, and on the software side of things low level proprietary api access, which pushes perf even further, without much background tasks (as is common on PC), and 6 (or 7) cores + 14 GB of GDDR6 (13.5 GB on Series X with 10 GB at 560 GB/s and the remaining 3.5 of the 6 total GB running at 336 GB/s), reserved just for games.

Both consoles are between a 2060 Super and 2070 in RT perf though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom