• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the tomb raider has some of the best puzzles

samoilaaa

I just finished the entire tomb raider trilogy and i liked shadow of the tomb raider the most , not for the story or the combat but because of its puzzles , its even better than uncharted in that area

Especially the optional ones , they are far better than the main mission puzzles , its too bad that the story and characters are so uninteresting but it is what it is , i hope the new tomb raider wont change the formula too much and follow the trend of braindead puzzles that solve themselves after a couple of minutes

Alot of people hated shadow of the tomb raider but for me its the best in the series because in a tomb raider game the priority is the quality of the tombs and it excels at that

I just finished the entire tomb raider trilogy and i liked shadow of the tomb raider the most , not for the story or the combat but because of its puzzles , its even better than uncharted in that area

Especially the optional ones , they are far better than the main mission puzzles , its too bad that the story and characters are so uninteresting but it is what it is , i hope the new tomb raider wont change the formula too much and follow the trend of braindead puzzles that solve themselves after a couple of minutes

Alot of people hated shadow of the tomb raider but for me its the best in the series because in a tomb raider game the priority is the quality of the tombs and it excels at that

Best ones are DLC puzzles that you get in Directors Cut.

Main game puzzles are also decent, we do get a ton of them.

Hopefully for sequal, they choose an interesting setting. This one had too much of historical context that limited fantastical elements. Japanese setting in 2013 version was a highlight for me.

winjer

Gold Member
The best puzzles are in the Challenge Tombs. The game really needed more of these.
But the game has terrible pacing issues because of the crafting system requiring to waste so much time collecting lots of useless crap.
Too much filler, and too little tombs to solve and explore.

Bartski

Gold Member
true, actual tomb raiding is so good here. Not enough tho to make up for horrible story and combat

Just_one

Absolutely loved the trilogy. The puzzles were great, especially the side quest puzzles. Loved the gameplay and I enjoyed playing as Lara. I want more.

pretty much this! Great way to reboot the franchise and a great trilogy of games!

RAIDEN1

Fair play to those who completed the trilogy there must be something that hooks you onto it....for me so far it hasn't though I did recently purchase on sale the rise of tomb-raider as it is known to be the best one to have released in the past 10-12 years...

BbMajor7th

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is an extremely underrated game
Yup, my favourite in the most recent trilogy. Never understood the hate to be honest - the story is the most off-the-rails but it felt like they were almost deliberately leaning into the idea that Lara really is a spoiled, sociopathic rich girl. Becomes almost a black comedy when you set out with the presumption she's deranged and delusional.

Last edited:

Banned
not for the story or the combat but because of its puzzles , its even better than uncharted in that area

so it's better than a game that has really bad and braindead puzzles that usually solve themselves through intrusive UI elements and NPC chatter?

I guess that's an achievement for today's standards 🤷

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lara Croft murders an entire village the game.
77roni.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
Easily the worst game in an overall "meh" trilogy.

I never was a fan of the series in the first place but at least those older games had a bit of a sense of fun and adventurous tone about them. I especially liked the PS2 trilogy, that was when this series peaked for me.

They can take their gritty serious tone and uglified Lara and shove it.

Last edited:

sainraja

It is the weakest in the trilogy but it's not that bad of a game. If you liked the first two, it is worth playing through. If you didn't enjoy the first two, then there is no point in playing this. I thought the puzzles were fine, weren't too difficult to figure out.

so it's better than a game that has really bad and braindead puzzles that usually solve themselves through intrusive UI elements and NPC chatter?

I guess that's an achievement for today's standards 🤷
Ah, there you are again, finding a way to talk about Naughtydog games, with your bad takes.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah I skipped the game for a long time because of the negative word of mouth but when I finally played it (was free on Epic) I found it pretty fun. Fun puzzles and nice visuals.

As many of these Indiana Jones style games as we've gotten since the Ps3 era I still think we haven't gotten the ultimate take on the genre:
I want something with the likable characters and awesome setpieces of Uncharted, but with the puzzles and side content of Tomb Raider

diffusionx

Gold Member
SOTR was just boring. It felt low budget compared to the other ones, outside of graphics which are amazing. The story/dialogue was really bad and I dunno I missed the big set pieces in the first 2.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The Tomb Raider franchise had a chance to be better than Uncharted but in seriousness no villains, no puzzles but the jaw dropping high lights reels are worth the play alone.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
The Tomb Raider franchise had a chance to be better than Uncharted but in seriousness no villains, no puzzles but the jaw dropping high lights reels are worth the play alone.
I liked the TR games more for gameplay, but I liked the story in UC more. But both IPs are extremely enjoyable to me.

nkarafo

I only played the second game.

The main game was meh. The side/secret area puzzles were great. I wish the whole game was just these side areas.

Alex11

Yeah, it's a big step up from the previous 2 in the series in terms of tombs and puzzles. Also, not having a gunfight around every corner is a big plus for me.
Although in Rise, while the tombs were easy and short, it did have a bit more uniqueness to them, as the locations, they were more varied.
And also feel that the 2013 one, for me, had the most mysterious location and feeling out of all 3, it was very eerie.

As for the story, I couldn't care less about it, I just want a confident, cocky, sassy Lara. I really can't understand the fascination and importance with video games stories, as if there really are outstanding ones out there, at best they are B material.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

To kick off Tomb Raider month this year I thought it would be fun to do a good old fashioned Top 10 list of some of the best levels in the Tomb Raider franchise. Now first and foremost this is just my personal list of favorite levels, so don’t attack me in the comments, but I do encourage you to comment your own favorite levels and what you love about them. So sit back and relax because here is my list of the top 10 levels in Tomb Raider.

Neff

Yup, my favourite in the most recent trilogy. Never understood the hate to be honest

My only issue with it is the excessively talk-y NPCs and the fact that you have to wear that dumb dress for the last third of the game. Otherwise it's an excellent action/adventure title.

Nothing quite captures the feeling of original TR, not even its sequels and these modern ones are even further from that.

True, I don't think we'll ever get something as uniquely ambiguous and indefinite as the first Tomb Raider game ever again, certainly not in this current era of ultra-hand holding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom