• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shacknews interviews Phil Spencer - "I took the job because I was the only one left"

Safe to say MS is all in now.
Zenimax aquisition on top of the other studios.
They are still looking to aquire more studios as well.
Gamepass is growing at a rate of knots.
Xbox One X and Series X were/are return to form as far as console designs go.

quest

Not Banned from OT
God I can only imagine if Peter Moore or any of the original execs were in charge. There Xbox and Xbox 360 generation were something else.
Peter Moore as great as he is would have had zero success like phil during the budgetary armageddon years. Now Pete Moore with billions after 2018 awesome but you all bitch its been 60 days why has he not produced any games.

Last edited:

Tschumi

"Phil Spencer is exactly who you think he is" I saw the article title, I didn't see the word 'fratboy' in the flavour text so I guess that story's inaccurate >_<"

In all seriousness, I'm glad to have seen that article, gives some more depth to the way xBox is grappling with their difficulties last gen. I think you can absolutely say this guy has done a pretty good job of rebooting the brand... It hasn't been perfect, it isn't a game console, it's a... premium plug socket for u to plug any game you can find into... but at least he's managed something.

i think it's naive to think that microsoft was ever going to leave the gaming market.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
All Satya ever talks about is streaming suddenly making MS competitive in the billion+ device mobile market as a platform.

If that doesn't happen; I'm not so sure Spencer's blank check lasts.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

If he didn’t step up, Xbox would be pretty much as dead as their smartphones. Leaving Sony to run that whole space. I wish Phil looked much closer into halo infinite, man that would’ve been a killer launch title. Still I think Phil is much better than Ryan at Sony who basically is just coasting at this point.

Lone Wolf

I was thinking about this today.

I saw Strafefox's video of How Donkey Kong Country was made and I was like "the same Rare that made this masterpiece made the new Battletoads"? I wanted to barf.
Did Rare make the new Battletoads? I thought it was licensed out.

Warablo

All they need is some decent games to start turning out of those 21 studios, because they got Sony beat with everything else.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Yeah because owning studios is better than playing their games...
What is coming in the next 6 months as 1st parties?

What's your point? Fixing/improving hard things take time. An impactful AAA game takes years to be done well.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What's your point? Fixing/improving hard things take time. An impactful AAA game takes years to be done well.
Buying studio is good, but for them to make good games is different.And since nothing is coming out in the near future why be satisfied with so little yet.

JLB

Banned
Buying studio is good, but for them to make good games is different.And since nothing is coming out in the near future why be satisfied with so little yet.

Thing is what Spencer is doing is far from little. Gamepass, Xbox One S, X, ditching Kinect, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X / S, Elite Controller, acquiring awesome studios, etc etc.
Based on its history delivering great results, I trust that First party will come and will be awesome.

Last edited:

Plantoid

I believe in him, in ms vision, I am on gamepass, I have a xbox (arrived today I'm so excited)

The ONLY thing they are missing is great first party like sony, everything else is amazing

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Thing is what Spencer is doing is far from little. Gamepass, Xbox One S, X, ditching Kinect, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X / S, Elite Controller, acquiring awesome studios, etc etc.
Based on its history delivering great results, I trust that First party will come and will be awesome.
Alright but what about his history of not delivering games?Like when he was head of 1st parties ? Because ditching Kinect was an obvious move that anybody with a brain could have figured.And I think it is too early to tell if the series S or X are good.Xbox one X was good though.And as I said earlier sure games takes time but look at insomniac bought in february and 2 games in the first 6 months of the ps5.
And remember those wait til next E3, then nex gen, ten look at the next gen launch lineup even including what's coming in the near future.Phil had a whole gen to put out games.
I read earlier someone comparing the situation to that of the ps3 when Kaz Hirai took over.And the difference is staggering at the end of the gen ps3 was a must have.Would you say Xbox is a msut have now ?Most critics seems to think it is not.
About those aquisitions now what have the studios that have been bought by MS put out recently as exclusives?Battletoads and Bleeding edge ? Gears tactics?
Do you think there is a game enticing the purchase of an Xbox now ?And in the near future ?Do we have a release date for any of them ?A release windows at least?
Yep Phil bought studios now make them work and do good things.

And the elite controller is also on a class action lawsuit about drifting so it's not so great either.
Gamepass is a great value for the consumer though but I'm curious hwo would you compare it to PSnow ?Since it has at least 2x more games ?

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Alright but what about his history of not delivering games?Like when he was head of 1st parties ? Because ditching Kinect was an obvious move that anybody with a brain could have figured.And I think it is too early to tell if the series S or X are good.Xbox one X was good though.And as I said earlier sure games takes time but look at insomniac bought in february and 2 games in the first 6 months of the ps5.
And remember those wait til next E3, then nex gen, ten look at the next gen launch lineup even including what's coming in the near future.Phil had a whole gen to put out games.
I read earlier someone comparing the situation to that of the ps3 when Kaz Hirai took over.And the difference is staggering at the end of the gen ps3 was a must have.Would you say Xbox is a msut have now ?Most critics seems to think it is not.
About those aquisitions now what have the studios that have been bought by MS put out recently as exclusives?Battletoads and Bleeding edge ? Gears tactics?
Do you think there is a game enticing the purchase of an Xbox now ?And in the near future ?Do we have a release date for any of them ?A release windows at least?
Yep Phil bought studios now make them work and do good things.

85 meta critic on par with ghosts of tsushima. That studio is expanding to a second team. Don't forget the studio the dethroned gran turismo as the best racing series on console playground. Microsoft has a base of good studios good games take time.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

85 meta critic on par with ghosts of tsushima. That studio is expanding to a second team. Don't forget the studio the dethroned gran turismo as the best racing series on console playground. Microsoft has a base of good studios good games take time.
So you missed the word exclusive in my post ....Surprisingly.

Edit:
Let's not forget the real exclusives

are you happy with those ?
We can also add Tell me Why, I forgot about it.
Looking at the score minecraft dungeons should be on the list too but I found the critics a bit too harsh with it honestly.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

He has a good chance of pulling off a reverse Sega here and it's better for the industry if he does

And he is right, a company like Microsoft should be all in, it's why Google are failing and Amazon are going to as well

They have no respect for the consumers in this industry and think they can half ass it

Don Mattrick was so fucking bad. Ruined the brand.

He inherited a well oiled machine and took all the credit. When it finally came time for him to actually lead he sank the ship. Lol

Brofist

Let's be honest, until the games from all these studios materialize MS will be under criticism.

But to compare this to Xbox One MS is disingenuous. The Xbox brand is obviously a much better place than 5-10 years ago.

Each genre should be checked with at least one exclusive showing off the system to get things going. It's a minefield with all of the "diversity over talent" and Halo Infinite is a casualty. You can't depend on it. Bethesda is a great company, but you can't depend on the games releasing in a timely fashion. You need to hit up the big designers in Japan. Get to know their dream projects and not force them to make what you want them to make. If they don't have it in their soul to make it, it will just come out average. Lots of things to do.

longdi

Banned
Phil re-started from ground zero.
Today Xbox has as much potential as it ever had.
Gotta respect the man for his dedication and vision :messenger_smiling_hearts: :messenger_ok:

Top Bottom