• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several reports of faulty PS5 and Xbox Series X launch consoles.

Would you still get one/both this early?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Correct, the first video looks like a blown capacitor, the crackling, the spark, the heavy smoke. My only question is why the console is off before the spark.

The second video has a small trail of white smoke that decreases over the few seconds of the clip. Completely different and more likely a vape blow.

As for Jez, he's had a Series X for three months and is unquestionably an insider. That's probably enough to put him at least on par with dumbbell guy and power socket overload man.

Dunno why you're so desperate to prove every instance of this is an example of electrical failure

Because it has capacitors, like Sony, and also PSU make such smoke and also older consoles have shown such smoke like PS4 and Xbox One. If someone thought that those device are made in the heavens then they need to wake up as at this age you should expect thousands of those broken consoles from both sides. PS5 is coming tomorrow, and it sold a lot more, so expect even more similar clips.

jigglet

Banned
Why would someone go to the trouble of buying a brand new console, and one of the first things they think to do is make smoke come out of the top of it using a vape and record it???

I don't buy that this is all fake.

I would believe it if it was some youtuber trying to get publicity. But regular Joes with no social media ambitions...yeah I agree. Who the fuck would go to that effort.

bxrz

Or there are genuinely few xsx broken like that?
Nah, theres videos on twitter of people recreating/debuking it with vape.

Notice how every video is short like 5 seconds. Thats how long vape goes away. Tell them to make a video thats 1 minute long

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Notice how every video is short like 5 seconds. Thats how long vape goes away. Tell them to make a video thats 1 minute long

Also the tiny capacitors do last that long or slightly more, and they're pretty tiny, and they make thick smoke as well.

bxrz

If they really were a Sony fanboy, would they own an XSX? Seems like a dumb ass play to spend $499/£449 on the console you don't even want to create FUD
Crapgamer and all those other PS fanboys youtubers got a XSX too. Probably just to trash it. fanboys are weird man

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So, just to get this straight:

We get reports from known Youtubers and influceners of confirmed broken PS5s due to a bug. Then suddenly right after those bad news for PS5 we get some really weird videos from people no one has ever heard of. With very short videos and videos recorded in a very low quality. And those videos look fake af.
Yet, all the influencers that got their Xbox Consoles weeks ago NEVER had any of those issues.
And then you are telling me, I should trust any of those fake videos? Yeah, no.
I think this is just to counter the bad PS5 news, which are actually believable because multiple trusted influencers report this.

Also, you quoted this guy:

So what you're saying is, if you're a "nobody", don't bother making a video or telling anyone about it? 🙄

ManaByte

tenor.gif

DESTROYA

Besides all these videos being pretty sketchy out of millions of consoles being made a few are bound to be defective.
Until I actually see legitimate reports of this being widespread would I start to worry but this looks like pure BS by people that want attention.

Do not believe everything to read or see on the internet. People will go to extremes for hits/pay on youtube and websites. Trust that these companies have properly tested the units and as a early adopter you probably should get an extended warranty anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS
so, Bo is the bad guy because of this thread but I've seen threads that go " Xbox has this feature, PS5 doesn't" for the last 7 months👍
like that Valhalla one, PS5 has dynamic 4K, Xbox is real 4K.
btw. would ps fanboys really buy Xbox and vape into it ? I know there are dumb people in the world but...
I mean, there are two videos and it seems disc tray is really broken

sixamp

I believe from what I've read on reddit the smoking consoles have been debunked and are fake 🤷🏻‍♂️. I have issues with my Xbox's. I have 3 xbox series x's , mine , my bro in laws and my sisters. My xbox series X was having an issue with a green screen only when loading a game. I tried 3 hdmi cables including the supplied one and it turned out that for some reason my xbox has a preference for which hdmi cable it likes but that's been resolved. All the cables were new and work fine on my pc and ps4. My bro in laws we tried would make a clipping sound from the disc drive but everything else is good and my sisters has no problem whatso ever

bxrz

The disc trays faulting I believe, thats a classic day 1 console problem. Has been since forever lol but that smoke stuff is fake. Dont believe that for a second.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Yeah after a few watches, these are definitely fake.

The smoke is at its strongest the moment the person bits record and quickly deminished and videos abruptly stop.

Edit for the comprehending impaired: "of the smoke videos" amazing you have to over clarify even when you have "the smoke is"

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The disc trays faulting I believe, thats a classic day 1 console problem. Has been since forever lol but that smoke stuff is fake. Dont believe that for a second.

I have no problems with disc stuff, as been digital since late 2014. Here is a noisy one:

NewChoppa

Banned
I've seen noisy disc drives on both sides - could be very possible that the consoles are installing the game from the disc for the first time? I know that causes the disc drive speed to ramp up quite a lot on PS4, could be the same thing?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've seen noisy disc drives on both sides - could be very possible that the consoles are installing the game from the disc for the first time? I know that causes the disc drive speed to ramp up quite a lot on PS4, could be the same thing?

Shipping can be a problem as well, maybe too much shaking, throwing them around, etc?

Last edited:

Amiga

PS5 issue seems like a software bug that is easily fixed, XSX issue seems like a hardware design flaw.

Lets hope that affected units are very few.

Is using external storage the only cause for PS5 issues?

if so we just stop using that until it's fixed

and XSX needed to use variable frequency to slow and cool down instead of going full speed and toasting.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Happens every release. Still kind of fun to see whats defective.
But people freaking out? Your just idiots

FrankWza

It’s not that big a deal that you xers need to get bent out of shape over. Shit happens. There’s going to be issues whenever a new console launches. But it looks real to me. The way the smoke is rapidly coming up and out compared to the guy that vaped near his. I said a while ago that I would be amazed if there weren’t heat issues with the way it’s packed in. Hopefully it isn’t a design flaw and it’s a batch of faulty components. You’d rather have the source now than in 14 months when warranty has passed.

McCheese

Some machines not working is expected, the nature of the failures are what matter. If 0.1% don't power up that's fine, but if 0.1% randomly engulf themselves in flames, we have a problem.

FrankWza

For people saying it's fake and all the funny vape analogy, go inside and read the whole thread:

Yeah. The first one definitely looks real. You would have to vape under the machine to come out at that speed. And if they did there would be a trail of smoke under the x. Shit happens

But you should not panic, it's said that 1-3% is pretty expected, which is 10,000-30,000 per 1 million console.

Expect similar reports about PS5 tomorrow. There is an acknowledge problem on PS5 with the rest mode feature so far:

With one died so far from that very issue for @Karak

Moral of the story: You have 1 year factory warranty, the only concerning problem is not getting a replacement soon enough. You may extend the warranty to 2-3 years on some shops as well. Too concerned? Wait for the second/third batch of consoles to arrive.

GHDSpsw.jpg

Could be a serious prob, but I doubt something like that passed through the cracks at testing facilities/labs in MS HQ. They abused the shit out of both models for the main purpose. Otherwise millions wouldn't be sitting in the warehouse.

Now!, back to reality..its still fn Amazing and guess who else rushes over their heads to launch these threads?! (In the hopes of...you know what i mean)
None other but damaged, desperate Sony clowns..Yo BoShazem, how's that AMD miracle workin out for ya, not so hot? Your shit back fires whatever you touch homie. You try too hard..trus, Xbox community will be a ..O..K..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom