• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several reports of faulty PS5 and Xbox Series X launch consoles.

Would you still get one/both this early?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GymWolf

For balance

mBmQcS0.jpg
You cook some dickishly looking sauges over there mate...

MrS

Banned
Thread definitely has a “let’s shit on Xbox” vibe which I’m not down with. You reap what you sow, Bo. No doubt we’ll have a shitload of PS5 tweets and threads tomorrow because of how they fucked up rest mode. Keep that same energy my friend.

Last edited:
The guy doesn't even have an NDA, he bought his consoles.

He did break NDA on Assassin's Creed Valhalla about a week ago. He had a preview unit Series X for unboxing.

I don't think MS necessarily bricked his console though.

Normal!!!!

There’s being a fanboy and then there’s risking someone’s life with a piece of consumer electronics.

This isn’t RROD 2 - it’s much much worse than that.

Normal! Sheesh. Never heard of anything so idiotic and that’s saying something on the internet these days.

Electronics have bad shit happen to them all the time. Two videos, a few isolated reports of electrical failure, dubious or otherwise, aren't unusual at all.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thread definitely has a “let’s shit on Xbox” vibe which I’m not down with. You reap what you sow, Bo. No doubt we’ll have a shitload of PS5 tweets and threads tomorrow because of how they fucked up rest mode.

I don't think I said otherwise, it's on the OP.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That was tweeted on the 8th November and he's had unboxing videos out from earlier. Who exactly did he pay for a console?

And he still broke NDA on Assassin's Creed, having the first footage of it running on anything in the wild

So the other guys got their XSX "smoked" as well for having playing their XSX on launch day as well? Please stop representing fairy tales as some sort of facts.

Hustler

Yes, there's no chance in hell a small portion of the PS5s will have hardware issues. All of it can be patched. Jesus.

When did I say anything about PS5's not having hardware issues? Every piece of tech ever made has an acceptable DOA rate. We're talking about literal smoke here in the videos shown so far. If that happens to PS5s as well, then cool these consoles clearly have a heat control issue.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Please let's leave all the bullshit fanboy stuff aside for a second.

If the Xbox videos are real (just an hypothetical, not saying that is the case), can somebody with some engineering knowledge explain what would be the most likely cause of heavy, sustained smoke production? I immediately imagined the unit might be short-circuiting, but even in that case wouldn't some security system shut everything down hard and immediately? Can it really get that bad and some parts that hot before the plug is pulled?

Lets be even more honest. We all know why the PS5 was singled out and got its own thread asap.

t603fbff8658c_tenor.gif
Because it was the first known review unit to have issues? Of course it’s going to be pointed out, it’s from a known reviewer with a large following.

Just wait until the PS5 is fully released and how many units fail straight out the box. There are always defective units and that fact is, these are just videos after the fact with absolutely no context as to what happened before.

I’m not dense, I’d be amazed if they got away with 100% success rate straight out the gate. If it did, they’d probably be the best tech engineers this world has seen.

As said just like in that GEN 3 SSD thread being an overblown dud, I’ll wait for a thorough explanation as to what’s going on here before jumping to conclusions out some weird fanboy retaliation.

Bo was busy flooding the PS5 thread with broken Xbox’s, and here we are with this thread.

Please let's leave all the bullshit fanboy stuff aside for a second.

If the Xbox videos are real (just an hypothetical, not saying that is the case), can somebody with some engineering knowledge explain what would be the most likely cause of heavy, sustained smoke production? I immediately imagined the unit might be short-circuiting, but even in that case wouldn't some security system shut everything down hard and immediately? Can it really get that bad and some parts that hot before the plug is pulled?

It's that damn 120fps I reckon

dO4xSGn.gif

I agree with @Hix for once, we should wait until someone's house with their 4 children inside it are burnt down before we start worrying about this.

I am out of here, have a good day all 👍

Yikes fishy, that's some dark and disturbed FUD you've got going on there.

So the other guys got their XSX "smoked" as well for having playing their XSX on launch day as well? Please stop representing fairy tales as some sort of facts.

I never said that. I said I don't think MS bricked his console.

Your attitude to this issue is hilariously base. On one hand you try to come across as even handedly concerned, but should anyone suggest it might be an exaggeration then you take off the mask.

I don't dislike you Bo, but let's face it. You're a warrior. This thread is designed to console war.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I believe there will be consoles that are faulty for sure.

I do not believe they will ever smoke like that though. You need some specific types of fuel or water to get smoke like that.

Do not forget we are in a age of “ hey look at me! “ / “ anything for clicks “ internet.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I never said that. I said I don't think MS bricked his console.

Your attitude to this issue is hilariously base. On one hand you try to come across as even handedly concerned, but should anyone suggest it might be an exaggeration then you take off the mask.

I don't dislike you Bo, but let's face it. You're a warrior. This thread is designed to console war.

Bring me more PS5 defects and I'll add them to the OP. Now my attitude is a reflection of several "nice guys" here trying to take it to the personal antagonizing level.

You requested it, along with Concern Concern and other lovely members. Thought you would be happy to not derail PS5 concern festival and have this generally represented thread.
It’s hardly a concern festival, you’re reading into it too much because you’re in a blind panic because PS is your preferred system. It was one single system from a known reviewer, obviously it will be posted here. Why wouldn’t it? Not everything is a dig a PS.

That said, of course you were told to make a new thread because you were dead set on derailing that one with Xbox related stuff.

At least the PS5 thread had some context from the very person who used the system, these are just after the fact videos with absolutely no context behind them at all apart from smoke pouring out of the box.

Reactions: MrS
Thread definitely has a “let’s shit on Xbox” vibe which I’m not down with. You reap what you sow, Bo. No doubt we’ll have a shitload of PS5 tweets and threads tomorrow because of how they fucked up rest mode. Keep that same energy my friend.

I genuinely can't tell if you're upset at the OP for posting news or if you're being sarcastic.

If PS5's/the new 3-series videocards/whatever Nintendo releases next start smoking then I 1000% want to know what the fuck is going on with them. Let's hope these videos are fake because if not then all those reports of the system running surprisingly hot could turn out to have been an intro to a nightmare.

Bring me more PS5 defects and I'll add them to the OP. Now my attitude is a reflection of several "nice guys" here trying to take it to the personal antagonizing level.

I'm not interested in talking about PS5 defects. I hope nobody goes through bad shit with their new hardware, it must be an awful experience.

I accept you're going to console war, you're the walking, human embodiment of Sony. I'd not be surprised to find out you have Sony branded toilet paper (ok maybe you use Xbox stuff for that) - it's you and this forum is the better for having you.

Not everyone is like you though, and not everything is console wars here. If one of the videos is dubious, or more, then your aggressive defense of it smacks of desperation.

Instead of looking at it objectively, you cast aside that faux-concern and join the Next Gen fraternity in their meme fest. You just wanted a negative Xbox thread and I find that very, very sad.

Servers went down, they went back up and Dreamcast guy (from that video) eventually reviewed the Xbox Series X.

He loves it

MrS

Banned
I genuinely can't tell if you're upset at the OP for posting news or if you're being sarcastic.

If PS5's/the new 3-series videocards/whatever Nintendo releases next start smoking then I 1000% want to know what the fuck is going on with them. Let's hope these videos are fake because if not then all those reports of the system running surprisingly hot could turn out to have been an intro to a nightmare.
The news isn’t the problem, it’s how it’s framed, who it’s coming from and its intent that I take issue with. Comes off as disingenuous to me. We should be able to knock off console wars for this week, surely?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
No its CSA certification in Canada, UL is USA, CE for EU where the design is certified.

Each unit is not tested for consumer electronics.
I thought UL was also applied in Canada, but I see now it isn't mandatory (although many do it). I can't imagine the Canadian Standards Act does not include flammability testing for plugged in electronics though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm not interested in talking about PS5 defects. I hope nobody goes through bad shit with their new hardware, it must be an awful experience.

I accept you're going to console war, you're the walking, human embodiment of Sony. I'd not be surprised to find out you have Sony branded toilet paper (ok maybe you use Xbox stuff for that) - it's you and this forum is the better for having you.

Not everyone is like you though, and not everything is console wars here. If one of the videos is dubious, or more, then your aggressive defense of it smacks of desperation.

Instead of looking at it objectively, you cast aside that faux-concern and join the Next Gen fraternity in their meme fest. You just wanted a negative Xbox thread and I find that very, very sad.

Servers went down, they went back up and Dreamcast guy (from that video) eventually reviewed the Xbox Series X.

He loves it

I know that most of the xbox fans around here love me so much. But I think what I've shown here is 100% clean and is open for discussion. Instead of antagonizing.

The news isn’t the problem, it’s how it’s framed, who it’s coming from and its intent that I take issue with. Comes off as disingenuous to me. We should be able to knock off console wars for this week, surely?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to compensate for the sad ones around here. Tomorrow you'll see PS5 problems popping up, as I said in the OP. So maybe enough with this drama? I'll update the OP with them.

NewChoppa

Banned

Looky what we have here.

I’ve seen enough at this point.

I'm still not sure. That first video in the OP, as "vape-y" as it looks, does appear to have smoke genuinely billowing from the holes at the top instead of it kinda just sitting on the surface of the XSX.

Last edited:

Looky what we have here.

That one is almost certainly a vape blow

It's the first video in the OP that is more questionable. The flash and click are suspicious, but then the console isn't on before them. Further, someone on Reddit is claiming the whole thing was faked and the guy who made it openly admitted so in a Discord group

That's just hearsay of course, but these consoles have been in the wild for two months. That tells me that, while there are bizarre and isolated reports of various failures, it's well within the realms of normal for electronics.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That one is almost certainly a vape blow

It's the first video in the OP that is more questionable. The flash and click are suspicious, but then the console isn't on before them. Further, someone on Reddit is claiming the whole thing was faked and the guy who made it openly admitted so in a Discord group

That's just hearsay of course, but these consoles have been in the wild for two months. That tells me that, while there are bizarre and isolated reports of various failures, it's well within the realms of normal for electronics.

Jez isn't educated to quote him. Capacitors make those thick smokes, some videos posted above about that, and here this user acknowledge that:

They won't start a fire, usually, but those tiny things can emit thick smoke.

Last edited:

Unless he created the videos -- to deliberately mislead us -- then I don't see how his intent is console warring.

We have a history of both Xbox's and PlayStation launch consoles being faulty (RROD and to a lesser extent YLOD), so if these videos are real then I think people should know about another round of broken hardware at launch.

bxrz

So Sony fanboys are faking broken Xboxes by blowing vape on it and recording it?

ngl thats definitely one of the most toxic and sad things ive seen from that group of people

Jez isn't educated to quote him. Capacitors make those thick smokes, some videos posted above about that, and here this user acknowledge that:

The won't start a fire, usually, but those tiny things can emit thick smoke.

Correct, the first video looks like a blown capacitor, the crackling, the spark, the heavy smoke. My only question is why the console is off before the spark.

The second video has a small trail of white smoke that decreases over the few seconds of the clip. Completely different and more likely a vape blow.

As for Jez, he's had a Series X for three months and is unquestionably an insider. That's probably enough to put him at least on par with dumbbell guy and power socket overload man.

Dunno why you're so desperate to prove every instance of this is an example of electrical failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom