• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several reports of faulty PS5 and Xbox Series X launch consoles.

Would you still get one/both this early?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barakov

Seems next gen is too hot to handle.

fRUCvFR.gif

Vick

Gold Member
I've never seen anything like this honestly. I'm sure they'll take it very seriously.
And shouldn't really laugh, but after all the users i've read claiming MS cooling solution was ''very obviously'' better engineered than Sony's, seeing Series X literally on fire is quite hilarious.

ToadMan

it's a risk you're taking buying new hardware. people who pre ordered should know what they're signing up for.

if it's broken then return it. simple. i remember when I got my PS4 at launch the disc drive was broken. Sony replaced it hassle free.

i've got XSX + PS5 pre ordered. if anything is wrong with them then i'll get them replaced.

Uh not it’s not.

When you buy new hardware you might expect bugs and incomplete features.

Smoke is a safety hazard. If those are real there’ll be a recall and a ban put on sale until it’s fixed.

Last edited:
I've never seen anything like this honestly. I'm sure they'll take it very seriously.
And shouldn't really laugh, but after all the users i've read claiming MS cooling solution was ''very obviously'' better engineered than Sony's, seeing Series X literally on fire is quite hilarious.

We haven't seen Series X on fire though, even if these videos are all real then it's almost certainly something like a blown capacitor. Potentially PSU failure, maybe. Not fire lol

Uh not it’s not.

When you buy new hardware you might expect bugs and incomplete features.

Smoke is a safety hazard. If those are real there’ll be a recall and a ban put on sale until it’s fixed.

Nah he's right, it's normal unless it's widespread (and it isn't)

This also happened with the Xbox One. Maybe other consoles too.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So far 82.7% don't give a fuck about those reports from both sides, another sign that this is a hardcore, enthusiasts gamers forum! Personally, even if problems are higher than normal, I will still get my PS5 and replace it if it's broken.

thelastword

Banned
The PS5 issues are not a worry, but the smoking through the vents on the XBOX and even the color of the smoke in one of the videos is not a good sign....I can understand 1 console smoking, but multiple consoles means you have a bigger issue that lies on the mainboard....

Birdo

Banned
Haha the Xbox Series X Videos are fake af. How stupid do you have to be to believe those are real?

The first one is 100% fake (Looks like piped in fog machine or vape). Smoke doesn't look or behave like that.

It's kind of embarrasing seeing so many people here falling for it :messenger_neutral:

Robins

I thought the smoke was fake then saw the other posts.

If this is real that's shocking. I know electronics have a rough 1% failure rate but actually smoking?

The smoking one(s) is obviously fake. There would be flames with smoke that thick.
You´ve obviously never had an electronic device catch fire in front of you before.
Usually it`s 100% smoke and you never see any fire because the electronics get damaged to a point where everything shuts down before it burns down your house.

I´ve already had 2 AV receivers go out in smoke just like in that Xbox vid.
My Yamaha receiver produced enough smoke to trigger the fire alerts in the next room......

Last edited:
The second video looks like a vape blow, but the first video is bewildering. Why would anyone setup the scenario and have such a clearly dangerous socket/wire overload right next to it. Dude is running an extension cable into an extension cable with probably double figures-worth of outlets.

If the aim of the game was to make a "haha Xbox fire go brrrr" video then he wouldn't leave so many obvious reasons for electrical failure, you'd think.

When will the recall for XsX begin?

I'll assume you're posting in good faith, despite the Craig avatar.

For this to be widespread enough to even begin discussion on a recall you'd need 0.1% failure rate, at a minimum. Of an initial run of say, 1 million units, that's 5000 reported cases of smoke.

So far we have two videos, one report on Twitter and another on Reddit (who appears to be the same guy as Twitter guy)

Ok I change my opinion about xbox being lame, they are actually smoking hot! :messenger_savoring:

Om serious note, that fucking sucks! I hope people get their consoles replaced.

My launch PS4 that were loud as vacuum cleaner made me literally almost cry, so smoking console would definetly be huge dissapointment:messenger_grimmacing_

The second video looks like a vape blow, but the first video is bewildering. Why would anyone setup the scenario and have such a clearly dangerous socket/wire overload right next to it. Dude is running an extension cable into an extension cable with probably double figures-worth of outlets.

If the aim of the game was to make a "haha Xbox fire go brrrr" video then he wouldn't leave so many obvious reasons for electrical failure, you'd think.

I'll assume you're posting in good faith, despite the Craig avatar.

For this to be widespread enough to even begin discussion on a recall you'd need 0.1% failure rate, at a minimum. Of an initial run of say, 1 million units, that's 5000 reported cases of smoke.

So far we have two videos, one report on Twitter and another on Reddit (who appears to be the same guy as Twitter guy)

Connecting multiple extensions isnt suggested, but I would say it is almost impossible to blame that for this.

Multiple cords in serial doesnt do much, if anything it could drop the Voltage/current a tiny amount but not make things smoke.

And if there are too many devices connected, fuse would just blow up. I have actually tested this with 8 extenders in serial + 2000w heater and it ran competely fine + voltage didnt drop at all (didnt find my 30m extender cable roll)

So, accept this:

It is either

A) faulty xbox
B) fake

And faulty devices are out there, doesnt mean it is more than few cases

Last edited:

NEbeast

The smoking one(s) is obviously fake. There would be flames with smoke that thick.

Electrical problems don't always catch fire, they usually just melt the surrounding area. I'd be surprised if everyone saying this was lying. Still, there's only a handful out of every SX.

CAB_Life

You´ve obviously never had an electronic device catch fire in front of you before.
Usually it`s 100% smoke and you never see any fire because the electronics get damaged to a point where everything shuts down before it burns down your house.

I´ve already had 2 AV receivers go out in smoke just like in that Xbox vid.
My Yamaha receiver produced enough smoke to trigger the fire alerts in the next room......

I respectfully disagree as I’ve had both a motherboard (Pentium PC lol) and a subwoofer immolate and in both cases I saw actual fire—less in the case of the PC, a lot in the case of the subwoofer (probably from the fabric/ whatever speaker cover).

So, just to get this straight:

We get reports from known Youtubers and influceners of confirmed broken PS5s due to a bug. Then suddenly right after those bad news for PS5 we get some really weird videos from people no one has ever heard of. With very short videos and videos recorded in a very low quality. And those videos look fake af.
Yet, all the influencers that got their Xbox Consoles weeks ago NEVER had any of those issues.
And then you are telling me, I should trust any of those fake videos? Yeah, no.
I think this is just to counter the bad PS5 news, which are actually believable because multiple trusted influencers report this.

Also, you quoted this guy:

His console has been bricked by MS, because he was breaking the NDA, so basically his own fault and MS had all the rights to do that. This shouldn’t be in the OP, this is just wrong.

NEbeast

Never trust people on the internet, wait for confirmation -

tenor.gif
CalculatingCoordinatedDassierat-small.gif

:messenger_winking:

It would be cool if one of these guys opened it up so we could see where the damage is. I'm not sure that's going to happen though, I certainly wouldn't want to mess about with one if I was about to send it back.

So, just to get this straight:

We get reports from known Youtubers and influceners of confirmed broken PS5s due to a bug. Then suddenly right after those bad news for PS5 we get some really weird videos from people no one has ever heard of. With very short videos and videos recorded in a very low quality. And those videos look fake af.
Yet, all the influencers that got their Xbox Consoles weeks ago NEVER had any of those issues.
And then you are telling me, I should trust any of those fake videos? Yeah, no.
I think this is just to counter the bad PS5 news, which are actually believable because multiple trusted influencers report this.

Also, you quoted this guy:

His console has been bricked by MS, because he was breaking the NDA, so basically his own fault and MS had all the rights to do that. This shouldn’t be in the OP, this is just wrong.

You seriously think Microsoft is bricking consoles because they broke NDA :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
First there was RRoD, now there's WSoD (white smoke of death). I really hope it doesn't end up as widespread as the former was.

ToadMan

Nah he's right, it's normal unless it's widespread (and it isn't)

This also happened with the Xbox One. Maybe other consoles too.

Normal!!!!

There’s being a fanboy and then there’s risking someone’s life with a piece of consumer electronics.

This isn’t RROD 2 - it’s much much worse than that.

Normal! Sheesh. Never heard of anything so idiotic and that’s saying something on the internet these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom