• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several reports of faulty PS5 and Xbox Series X launch consoles.

Would you still get one/both this early?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
A fridge/grill/smoker hybrid. What else will scientists come up with?
5561_xsx_2.thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Hardware is always pretty hit-or-miss at launch, there was bound to be a few defective consoles out there on both sides.

That being said that first video is crazy. Shit looks like the XSX is vaping

Sure defective I agree, every kind of electronics device has a failure rate.

But this looks so unreal that I immediately thought obviously fake. It smokes more then my chimney and my chimney emits the smoke of burning wood.

BeardGawd

Banned
If you waste something inside I could see it smoking. Or if a cable is faulty and starts to burn the plastic... but both of those Series Xs aren't even turned on. Power light is off.

Apparently a faulty PSU can cause smoke like this but still
X for doubt.

Last edited:

Stuart360

lol those smoking vids look fishy to me. I mean if we were a year or two into the gen then maybe i could see that but these consoles will be tested at manufacturing, running for days at an end, to find faults like this, or they should be anyway.

geordiemp

lol those smoking vids look fishy to me. I mean if we were a year or two into the gen then maybe i could see that but these consoles will be tested at manufacturing, running for days at an end, to find faults like this, or they should be anyway.

Burn in and testing at elevated temps is for automative grade electronics, safety critical.

Consumer electronics are just made and shipped, consumers find the faults and return the few %..

TBiddy

It looks like there could be an issue with a batch. The thread is definitely made to concern troll as usual, but some of the reports (like the prof3ssor blue guy) seems valid enough. The video with the dumbbell on the floor and the messy room? Fake.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That "sizzling" sound is exactly what caps do. However could be even that vaporchamber cooling, because it's really big surface and if it's hot from APU and it's in higher pressure than air, shit could happened, but honestly I highly doubt that there is like a 100ml of water there : D

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That "sizzling" sound is exactly what caps do. However could be even that vaporchamber cooling, because it's really big surface and if it's hot from APU and it's in higher pressure than ar, shit could happened, but honestly I highly doubt that there is like a 100ml of water there : D

You mean the vapor chamber can crack and release that vapor?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It looks like there could be an issue with a batch. The thread is definitely made to concern troll as usual, but some of the reports (like the prof3ssor blue guy) seems valid enough. The video with the dumbbell on the floor and the messy room? Fake.
I disagree OP stated that this was parft of a normal failure rate of new products and mentions both consoles.
I don't think it is concern trool as he never said it could be a widespread issue.
And I agree it is most probably a few defective units that some people were unlucky to get.
I don't really see concern trolling here , at least not from OP that stayed quite reasonable.

Honestly it could be any number of things, it's clearly not a widespread issue as the Series X has been in the wild for over two months now.

The flash and crackle in the first video scream short circuit, but then the console was off before that. Could be a blown capacitor, but could equally be staged. The latter seems unlikely because why would you have all those wires and what appears to be at least two extension cables feeding each other?

Second one with the dumbbell is more likely a vape blow.

But the prof3ssor blue guy could be legit, we don't know. This isn't so unique or new for a console launch, sadly - the Xbox One had multiple reports of smoking which became a meme because of its entertainment centre image (Firefox etc)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You mean the vapor chamber can crack and release that vapor?
Potentially yeah, same as heatpipe, but heatpipe is very unprobably because it's cylinder, this is basicaly square, so the pressure inside on the edges are far bigger. Let put it this way, you know those pressure cookers? Well if you heat it to big temperature, it starts to, by design, release the vapor from the chamber.
iStock-1132720111-scaled.jpg

However vapor chamber is plane, not cilinder and it does not have this valve, so shit can happend and the vapors could be just by different pressure inside. We don't know, I think it's more likely that cap on PSU, however we are not going to find out till someone tear it down and see the damage : )

sircaw

Banned

Yer i mean if a little fire does not get you a little worried, what will.

Its fire Tbiddy, not a goddam disk ejecting. This is very worrisome indeed.

TBiddy

Yer i mean if a little fire does not get you a little worried, what will.

Its fire Tbiddy, not a goddam disk ejecting. This is very worrisome indeed.

Of course it's worrrying. But we both know that thread was made to have another thread for posting shitty memes. The PS5 "reports" was just added for good measure.

The thread could've been a hotspot of valuable information, but instead it turned into another console warrior thread.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member

geordiemp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom