• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several reports of faulty PS5 and Xbox Series X launch consoles.

Would you still get one/both this early?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
But you should not panic, it's said that 1-3% is pretty expected, which is 10,000-30,000 per 1 million console.

Official investigation for that tweet:

Expect similar reports about PS5 tomorrow. There is an acknowledge problem on PS5 with the rest mode feature so far:

With one died so far from that very issue for Karak Karak

Moral of the story: You have 1 year factory warranty, the only concerning problem is not getting a replacement soon enough. You may extend the warranty to 2-3 years on some shops as well. Too concerned? Wait for the second/third batch of consoles to arrive.

Last edited:
Everyone saw this thread coming after the PS5 review unit thread, let’s be honest.
giphy.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's a risk you're taking buying new hardware. people who pre ordered should know what they're signing up for.

if it's broken then return it. simple. i remember when I got my PS4 at launch the disc drive was broken. Sony replaced it hassle free.

i've got XSX + PS5 pre ordered. if anything is wrong with them then i'll get them replaced.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Being serious here, there will always be defective units, 1-3 % is normal for new consoles, always has been..

However, smoke / fire is a different ball game as that is safety risk with legal obligations and a different discussion all together, as faulty component would likely be batch related and recall based on batch numbers for units affected.

Last edited:
The XSXs are wild. Doesn't look like smoke so maybe vapor from the cooler - is that even possible?

PS5 internal layout look billy basic in comparison to how things are packed into the XSX and more like an off the shelf PC so maybe less prone to failure as a result? Time will tell I guess.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am receiving my Xbox Series X on 10th of December, hopefully it's going to be more solid, because that smoke :messenger_hushed:

Honestly that smoke looks exactly like if it would be faulty/badly dimensed cap in PSU, trust me due to my handiness I ruptured multiple caps in my custom switching PSU. And it creates exactly same smoke...

Damn not gonna lie the series x one looks terrifying 😬😳
*series x

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Could be a blown capacitor. The first video looks incredibly sketchy with the wires everywhere and in the second the Series X isn't even switched on.

Or maybe this is xCloud at work

My PC is "advised" at 750W (have 850W power supply), connect the tv, fiber router, PS4 Pro, lamp on one port, heck sometimes even connect 2000W vaccum machine. But we have 240V here, so I think enough power to supply all.

Does power shortage cause such a thing? Because I might rearrange shit if it's so just as a precaution.

If those videos if the XSX are real there would have to be a.product recall. No it's, no buts.
You can't have a fire risk. MS Would be sued into oblivion.
There was also this guy who said the same even before these videos but weird part is that he said it happened to him while the console was in sleep mode.
Could it be that consoles are being used by azure while in sleep mode ?

Last edited:
He wanted to be triple sure we saw it

I'll post it again next page to be quadruple sure.

My PC is "advised" at 750W (have 850W power supply), connect the tv, fiber router, PS4 Pro, lamp on one port, heck sometimes even connect 2000W vaccum machine. But we have 240V here, so I think enough power to supply all.

Does power shortage cause such a thing? Because I might rearrange shit if it's so just as a precaution.

I think overloaded extension cables are always risking something, including bricking a console if the power isn't regulated.

If you watch the wall in the first video, you see a brief flash alongside a crackling noise. Almost certainly some kind of short circuit happening there.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

We have here 240V/16A per one phase. So that's 240x16=3840W per one phase, I think you are solid : )

Why does the first two tweets look so fake? Theres no way that hardware can emit that much smoke.
Big capacitor on PSU can create this, but that's on the input, which would meant there is some voltage spike....which is weird. You know like if there would be thunder storm and it would somewhat went into mains of the PSU. However duration of that smoke is weird, I agree. I would expect it to be just "poof", cloud let say...

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I mean I still remember that compilation video of defected Switch units I watched just before launch and thinking I might get a defected unit. Most of us will be fine. Videos make it more of a bigger deal than it is most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom