• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter - EA tomorrow (VR version of entire game!)

Durante

header.jpg

In addition to their VR-first wave shooter The Last Hope, Croteam are porting the entirety of "The First Encounter" (the HD version of the original Serious Sam game) to VR.

Steam page

(a few neat third person "AR" segments in that trailer, with in-game illumination of the player if I see that correctly)

This includes the entire campaign, and all coop and multiplayer features of the original game!

VR-SPECIFIC FEATURES
  • Serious Locomotion - Explore the levels using trackpad movement (if you are brave enough), go with safer built-in teleportation system and move quickly to avoid charging enemies with the help of Sam's personal translocator device or tweak and adjust the way you move through the VR space to best suit you playing style with using our own Serious Warp (tm) locomotion.
  • Double the Gun, Double the Fun – Let go of the keyboard and gun down enemies, one weapon in each hand, or dual-wield them, quadrupling your stopping power. Combine different guns or just grab two of the same, but whatever your style, remember: Mental must be stopped!
  • Old School, New Engine – Hordes of enemies and non-stop action set against the expansive and visually stunning backdrop of ancient Egypt - all powered by the latest Serious Engine 2017 to create one of the most impressive VR experiences yet!

More information about the development process and relation to TLH:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/552450/discussions/0/152391995413966312/#c152391995415140811 said:
The relation between TLH and TFE VR is not as simple as one might imagine. First off, while implementing TFE in VR was not a small engineering effort (*) and quite a bit of content had to be adjusted as well, TLH has a huge amount of completely new content. TLH is an extremely "content-dense" game. For what amounts to 3 minutes of play (one location on one planet), designers need months to model, texture, decorate and tune for gameplay. But we didn't want to give people yet another wave shooter, we wanted one where they could experience great high-quality visual content. The amount of cool stuff that's yet to come is hard to present. I know it looks like it's taking too long for the new planet to arrive, but the fact is that the planets that are already shipped are reusing quite a bit of existing content. Especially Earth. The other three planets are much more novel and that takes time. But I'm sure you'll love the results when you see them.

So, while TFE VR game is quite an extensive engineering effort, and some more mundane content work, TLH is a lot of highly creative and slow content work. While there's some overlap, especially in the technology, those are done by different parts of the team. While other parts are working on Sam4. And some are working almost exclusively on tech. I know it may sound crazy to take on all that, but we've grown about twice the size since Talos, and we are now also at the point where a lot of previous slow effort that was going on for years is coming to fruition. Without those previous efforts we wouldn't be able to bring TFE to the latest engine now, so "suddenly". That's something that's been worked on since SS3 was released. In the background. It's a continuation of the TSE's "Fusion" effort, and you'll see some other interesting results of that in the near future. ;) We are very dedicated to working on things long term and doing what is good for the gamers.

The fact also is that TLH has moved a bit slower than planned during the last month. And the reason for that is quite simple - the original plan for TLH didn't include implementing coop at all. It was planned to simplify tech implementation and concentrate on content, thus way too much of the behavior of the game was scripted in Lua, from enemy and especially boss behavior all the way down to the HUD, menus and even the way player receives damage, death screen. The premise was "this will not have mutiplayer, so we can use scripting in places that normally wouldn't allow it, so we can make better content faster". Now, after the release, the community has asked for coop a lot. And we delivered it. It wouldn't be EA if we didn't listen to what you guys wanted. That coop implementation required a lot of additional engineering work to both (a) move a lot of scripted features to C++ code, as they couldn't be reliably networked from script as well as (b) hugely improving the support for networking the scripted behavior so not all has to be C++-ed. And it also required moving some gameplay designers that would normally work on setting up gameplay on levels for the next episode into adjusting and tuning the fights for coop.

We are currently working on the skill-tree update for TLH as well as pushing for the next three planets. They are not developed in sequence, but overlapping, so once planet #3 is released, planet #4 will already be quite a bit along the way.

(*) You can't even imagine all the things that seem natural and logical in VR but are completely different than how they are done in "flat" FPS games. And so many things that you wouldn't expect are a problem until you try them. And while "wave shooters" are somewhat similar to FPSs in appearance, the implementation is a whole other can of worms. For example in TLH you just stand in place and can't really collide with geometry. In TFE you could be e.g. standing on the stairs, and as you walk around the roomscale, you actually also go up/down in VR. And a metric ton of things like that.

More information about the engine:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/552450/discussions/0/152391995414948516/#c152391995415163454 said:
This is the latest iteration of the engine, and has all the bells and whistles from everything in between, including Talos and The Last Hope, and a lot of things that were made as side-effects of Serious Sam 4 development.
The engine tech is completely shared between TLH and TFE, so any feature one of them gets, the other will too.
It has support for Vulkan (which is not yet too great for VR, but will be soon), it will allow us to ship this game (as well as TLH) on Linux, as soon as VR on Linux is publicly available. Here's a short list:

• Support for Vulkan API (DirectX9 is now being removed)
  • Multithreaded rendering by default
  • The new "light-weight" savegame system - savegames are now saved much faster, are very small and stored in the Steam cloud, and savegames still work even if a level is changed in a patch
  • Customizable sound outputs
  • Proper 3D audio using a proprietary sound-mixer (the same approach as used in the old Classics games)
  • Improved physics engine with better handling of character movement
  • Texture streaming
  • Much better modding support with customizable weapons and items, improved scripting (including better support for scripting networked games)
  • Lots of other improvements, optimizations and fixes

Tain

Man, Croteam rules. I really want to play both of these but I have so much on my plate right now.

Tain

I was going to say that I hope this has an option for pointing a controller in a direction over trackpad use, but then remembered it's all about guns akimbo duh.

Might go with Touch for this one.

Tain

What does trackpad movement mean?

A controller's trackpad will serve as simulating the left analog stick in a console FPS. Specifics beyond that are unknown, there are a few different ways to implement it (like will it be view-relative? Relative to the motion controller the trackpad is attached to? etc).

You'll almost certainly still rotate with your body, though there's bound to be some artificial rotation options (likely notched rotation).

Ferrio

Banned
Might have to pick this up even though it might end up poorly (puke). Anyone know how much it's going to run?

Sciz

Croteam's going to single-handedly wind up selling me a VR headset at this rate.

Can't wait to see how all this engine work they've been doing pays off in SS4.

Alexlf

Croteam is knocking it out of the park with their VR releases. Extremely glad to see varied locomotion options. Still waiting on SOMEONE to do redirected walking though.

kinggroin

Banned
These last couple of weeks, starting with the release of the Oculus Touch, have rekindled my love for VR. I'm as ecstatic today as I am when I first got it.

SUPERHOT
I EXPECT YOU TO DIE
SURGEON SIMULATOR
SERIOUS SAM
THUMPER
PINBALL FX
And the re-release of Pool Nation as Sports Bar

It's all a bit much at the moment.

HyGogg

Banned
It's only spinning that makes most people sick. Turn your body and just use the left stick and it's totally comfortable.

Helznicht

It's only spinning that makes most people sick. Turn your body and just use the left stick and it's totally comfortable.

Not totally comfortable. Manageable, yes. I always lose my balance when the world moved underneath me.

Wish it had arm-swing movement, feels the most natural to me.

I played a good hour of this now, and it works really, really well. Better than I would have thought. There are a few bugs (weapons sometimes not working properly after loading a level, some places are hard to get to with teleport) but overall they have done a great job.

There is arch teleport, directional blink teleport and trackpad movement. I vastly prefer to play with the directional blink since the trackpad movement just goes right to my stomach.

The weapons feel sort of overpowered since they shoot as fast as you pull the trigger (which is considerably faster than the base game) and you can use two weapons at the same time. The latter is sort of negated by the fact that it is really hard to shoot with the hand you are using to move around, so blasting both guns is most effective when you are more stationary - which this game by design almost never allows you to be.

One thing I noticed is that since you can lean around corners and all other room scale magic, the AI can sometimes be killed from cover pretty easily. Fortunately this game was never applauded for it's AI in the first place, and standing around is generally the worst tactic you can use.

Another thing is that insta-popping a launching kleer is super easy to time right when you use a shotgun in VR. I remember those could be tricky to pull off perfectly when playing with keyboard and mouse, but in VR those kinds of shots are almost impossible to miss. Same goes for shooting projectiles out of the air.

Engine is also excellent, and since the game is pretty old, you can crank AA and render scale to insane levels. This is probably the best IQ I've seen in a VR experience not based on photogrammetry.

Durante

Sounds awesome. I also expect directional blink teleport to be my preferred choice.

Glad to hear about the IQ, Croteam's engine being a forward renderer and designed from the ground up to maintain high framerates is really paying dividends for them in VR.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
These last couple of weeks, starting with the release of the Oculus Touch, have rekindled my love for VR. I'm as ecstatic today as I am when I first got it.

SUPERHOT
I EXPECT YOU TO DIE
SURGEON SIMULATOR
SERIOUS SAM
THUMPER
PINBALL FX
And the re-release of Pool Nation as Sports Bar

It's all a bit much at the moment.
Don't forget SmashBox Arena, so good.

Durante

Just gave it a first try. Amazingly fun really, the game is a great fit for VR.

IQ and performance are excellent. The short-range teleport seems almost overpowered -- I love that you can teleport with each hand separately (or combined for twice the speed, which gets rather ludicrous in terms of the distance you can travel in 2 seconds).

I tried the trackpad movement for a good hour now and I am surprised about how well I could handle it. It's still hard to get your brain adapted to all the different things you need to pay attention to in terms of rotating yourself, where you are looking, where you are steering and what direction you are actually going towards. When you have to switch which the controller you are using for movement to use your offhand weapon quickly it feels like juggling at times.

That being said, I really think I can adapt to controlling the game this way rather than teleporting. Teleport works as well, but I found it easier to get disoriented with that when having to fight big groups of enemies.

Still the biggest surprise is that I didn't feel ill at all. I sometimes lost my balance a bit, and had to untangle my cord halfway through, but that was the worst of it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I will get it on the next sales. There are too many vr games out there. I just purchased elena vr 😪

Is there no way of enabling right stick turning? Having to play standing and physically turning doesn't feel great - it's way too fast paced and it's easy to end up tangled in wires.

Is there no way of enabling right stick turning? Having to play standing and physically turning doesn't feel great - it's way too fast paced and it's easy to end up tangled in wires.

Devs said on Steam forums that they would patch it in hopefully within a week.

Now for all the iron stomach I have for the current movement in this game, I don't think I'd last more than five minutes with analogue turning. Cable is annoying though. So far I have to pause to untangle every 30 mins or so (but levels are shorter than that for the most part).

Devs said on Steam forums that they would patch it in hopefully within a week.

Now for all the iron stomach I have for the current movement in this game, I don't think I'd last more than five minutes with analogue turning. Cable is annoying though. So far I have to pause to untangle every 30 mins or so (but levels are shorter than that for the most part).

I think analogue turning while seated would be fine with a bit of adjustment for comfort. It's definitely harder to get used to that full analogue movement though.
Between this, Doom 3 VR and a few other things I've tried, I really want a VR FPS designed around seated motion controls. I think it's the sweet spot between the benefits of VR and the realities of trying to fit in reasonable movement controls without it feeling really weird.

I actually like that I have to stand and move around. Not saying there shouldn't be options, but being on my feet and moving around connects me more to the game I think. Also, moving my fat ass is never a bad thing.

Durante

I think asking for a VR FPS where you turn by doing anything other than turning is like asking for an on-screen FPS where you use the keyboard to aim, but that's just me.

When you have to switch which the controller you are using for movement to use your offhand weapon quickly it feels like juggling at times.
I actually used both controllers for movement most of the time. (Blink teleport movement that is)

collige

Banned
Played a few levels. IQ is very good, especially compared to Arizona which I played right afterward. The controls are mostly fine, but I didn't mess around with them too much. My main concern with them is that there seemed to be some weird mini-teleport action that activates when you press at the edge of the trackpad that I kept hitting by accident. Some other issues:
-Jumping is weird
-Swimming is virtually impossible. I had to switch to analog movement to get out of the pool in the first level
-The health UI is very awkwardly placed so that it's always out of focus. I didn't check if there was a setting for this, but by default it's basically illegible to me

Overall though, it's pretty good and I'm glad that this is the full length game. Overall this+the wave shooter is probably worth the $60 combined if you're already into Serious Sam or are looking for a more fleshed out shooting experience than Space Pirate Trainer.

Ferrio

Banned
Played a level online with some guys. Surprisingly I didn't get motion sick or nausea though I can sense it right on the edge. What I did have trouble with was staying upright. Strafing at that speed does all sorts of weird stuff to your irl balance.

Not sure if I'm feeling the $35 price tag yet, but I'll give it a few more tries.

-Swimming is virtually impossible. I had to switch to analog movement to get out of the pool in the first level

Swimming is a bug introduced with a patch that came out a few hours after release. They are working on a fix, but going back to the previous version in the Steam beta tab will fix it.

Top Bottom