• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious question for Nintendo fans: What's the thing that makes you to be excited about Nintendo nowadays?

Kokoloko85

I love there IP’s and how they made new versions of IP.

Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem etc.
And the variation on those names like Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Zelda Rebmakes etc

I also love games like Pikmin, Luigi’s Mansion
Fingers crossed some older IP’s come back like Earthbound and Golden Sun

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Many of the things they do don't appeal to me (like party minigame stuff), but Nintendo is one of a kind, quirky and unique in their way. Family friendly in an industry obsessed with violence.

I love their philosophy like they see videogames as fancy toys, not AAA narrative experiences, that doesn't mean Sony doesn't do impressive things because they do, but Nintendo wants the player to have fun first and foremost.

Also im a big fan of portable gaming since the original GameBoy and Nintendo are indisputable kings in that area, they might not have the high end home console space anymore but found their own niche and have been taking care of it for years.

Finally, while companies like Microsoft cater to the west side of gaming, Nintendo is very succesful in japan and that reflects in their software library, you will find many games in Nintendo consoles over the years not easily found in other systems

There are tons of reasons to like or dislike Nintendo but no one can deny they do things their own way and that works more than not, a gaming industry without Nintendo wouldn't be the same

Ten_Fold

They still make better overall games than Sony and Microsoft. Tons of replay value in BOTW and Mario odyssey and games like smash/Mario kart got near infinite replay value. Halo/gears I can replay ever once in a while, Sony’s first party is one and done for me.

This E3 showing wasn’t amazing AT ALL best thing they showed off was Metroid, I’m just assuming covid messed up a lot of their releases. We didn’t get any real info on zelda’s 35 anniversary, no added games systems to the eshop either. They sit on a gold mine of things and just never can read the room. Still when they hit, nobody can match them.

Skelterz

They dropped out of the home console market for a reason. They can't sell consoles on their IP alone without third parties, unlike Microsoft.
They combined there studios, they found that by combining there handheld division with the home console division they could pool more support into 1 console turns out the switch does both…Who remembers the Vita.

kunonabi

Excited? Nothing. I do plan on getting a switch and there is a bunch if software I want on it but very little of it is from Nintendo. Their entire approach these days is pretty much the opposite of what I used to enjoy from them. Iwata brought me back to being a huge Nintendo fan but with his passing I'm pretty much reverted to the general disinterest I held in the GC days.

They make fun, accessible games. I’m not looking for gritty cinematic experiences or days of multiplayer gaming. I’m looking for tight controls, games that can be picked up and played quickly, and with fun characters. They deliver on these interests of mine.

Sure, I’ll pick up Metroid Dread and SMTV, but I look forward to Advance Wars, Wario aware, BotW2, Zelda G&W, etc.

Games. Xenoblade stuff, Mario stuff, Zelda stuff, new stuff. Fire Emblem, Metroid, you know all the stuff

I also like when critically acclaimed indie games I haven't played yet get a switch release at a reduced price with all their DLC bundled in and now they're portable yay

wasn't blown away by the direct but it was good. It's an E3 where the take2 and capcom presentations happened, so it might seem a bit better than it is in reality by contrast to some of the weak showings going around

Favourite trailer/game so far is still Elden Ring

SirTerry-T

Because they still deliver the best game mechanics in the biz, dressed up with IP that appeals to everyone...unless your one of those poor souls who can't cope with games that may feature primary colours.

Nintendo haven't forgot that these are all basically electronic toys.

Last edited:

swarley64

I think the Switch is a great piece of hardware and I play a lot of indie games on it. But Nintendo hasn’t done much to excite me personally in a while now. It feels like they’ve been coasting. The pandemic didn’t help of course.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It's exciting that there are so little Wii u ports left that they finally have to make a effort in their next remaster or new games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont get it either OP. But these days I am an AAA elitist who only plays 5-10 AAA games a year. I cant stand COD, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Ubisoft games, Fifa, Madden, NBA. I dont make too much of it and just chalk it up to Nintendo just not making the kind of AAA games I want to play and thats ok.

Astral Dog

METROID METROID METROID
METROID METROID METROID
METROID METROID METROID
E38kqD6VcAETRfp

E38qwHMUUAoW8zR

E39mSVNVkAMizD7

Last edited:

Keihart

Nintendo was the best of E3 and here we a have a poster with a clown avatar saying that he doesn't get it.
The internet is really cool sometimes, free laughs.

So, speaking seriously and not to mock anyone nor any platform. I've been gaming since the '90s, I've been there when Nintendo was THE gaming manufacturer that could only be rivaled by SEGA. When Sony arrived at gaming with the PSX and the 3D was a whole new world.
The early 00s when Microsoft arrived to the console and gaming market with its Xbox. Etc etc etc.

I've known Nintendo for its great and polished games, and their awesome and always innovative hardware.

Fast forward to 2021, present day. And it's today that I've watched the Nintendo E3 Direct, in the hopes that something brought me back to adopt a Switch or future Switch Pro. To see something that makes me go back to the awesome N64 days, the powerful GameCube days, or even the innovative and fun Wii times.

But geee. Now I'm here trying to understand why Nintendo is one of the most successful companies in gaming today and why it has such diehard fans. I just cannot understand what's the thing that this company has that can make so many people excited.

All I saw was zero innovation, zero new IPs, zero graphics nor new ways to awe me. Only rehashed IPs, re-re-re-releases, HD's ports, third party games running at 15fps with graphics straight from the 7th gen.

All I could take home was a little Metroid game that seemed cool.. But nothing more than what indie companies and its games have been giving me for 10 years already.

It's the pure nostalgia of playing old games? It's the 1 or 2 in a generation game such a Mario Oddyssey or Breath of the Wild? It's that you just like the same IP's over and over and over and over and over and over...? It's just that you are so die-hard fans from the old days that no matter what Nintendo puts in your face you'll consume it anyway?

I'd really like to know why Nintendo seems like a company totally stuck in time to me, while so much people cheers over it like it's the second coming of Jesus for whatever they spit out.
I agree with you 100%. I'd love to be excited for their new games but man, their stuff just isn't for me anymore sadly. I would probably enjoy Mario and Zelda somewhat that's not enough for me to buy a whole console.

I guess it's partly because I'm not into handheld gaming at all so that aspect doesn't add anything for me? But yeah, very few games on the platform excite me and I couldn't agree with you more.

I'd really, really love to be excited about their new games and hardware again though and it's never too late I guess.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm more interested in Cruis'n Blast than any XBOX or PS game in the last four years

Nintendo puts out the hardcore arcade games I want to play (AAA Cinematic action-adventure generic shooter bs does nothing for me)

iHaunter

Play breath of the wild and then play horizon, feels like a generational downgrade even when horizon looks better. Have friends and play mario kart and smash, nothing like those games on playstation or xbox. Play super mario odyssey and then play super lucky tale or knack and you'll say wtf is this.
I beat BOTW. A completely empty world, with 5 enemy types with slightly different colors, garbage story, and mediocre puzzles. That's an upgrade to Horizon to you? It's not like I think Horizon was a Masterpiece, it was an 8.5/10 for me while BOTW was a 7/10. I genuinely believe super Nintendo fans are brainwashed.

I have a Switch. I played BOTW and once in a while Smash/Pokemon Sword with friends. Those games came out years ago.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I beat BOTW. A completely empty world, with 5 enemy types with slightly different colors, garbage story, and mediocre puzzles. That's an upgrade to Horizon to you? It's not like I think Horizon was a Masterpiece, it was an 8.5/10 for me while BOTW was a 7/10. I genuinely believe super Nintendo fans are brainwashed.

I have a Switch. I played BOTW and once in a while Smash/Pokemon Sword with friends. Those games came out years ago.
"Completely empty world" yet to these day people keep discovering things from the gameplay and world, just say you don't know how to play exploration game and you just prefer the hand holding from ubisoft type of games. Nothing wrong with that, I'm not even a Nintendo fan since the switch is my first nintendo console since the n64. Looks like you just don't like people who enjoy other stuff that you don't like, playstation fanboys suffer from that.

iHaunter

"Completely empty world" yet to these day people keep discovering things from the gameplay and world, just say you don't know how to play exploration game and you just prefer the hand holding from ubisoft type of games. Nothing wrong with that, I'm not even a Nintendo fan since the switch is my first nintendo console since the n64. Looks like you just don't like people who enjoy other stuff that you don't like, playstation fanboys suffer from that.
I never said they're not allowed to enjoy it. I'm saying I personally believe it's incredibly overrated. Having beaten it myself. I was not super impressed with the hype around it. It was generic to me.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Every fucking game in NeoGAF is considered "overrated", it doesn't mean anything really, It just means you liked the game less than others.
That being said, let's say my opinion doesn't matter. The switch has still not had a meaningful game in years. I dunno how switch fans put up with it.

ahtlas7

They create moderately exciting things that make me happy. Hell, I even bought the Mario LEGO thing.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'll give you the right answer, Nintendo games are like board games, they never get old. You can easily play the super mario kart from gamecube, the super mario from nes and the zelda from snes and have the same amount of fun just like you can play Monopoly or other type of board games without thinking "this is dated" because you're having fun.

I do recommend to have other system if you want to play other stuff. But a lot of people are just fine with the switch and right now is the best time for those gamers because Nintendo didn't have these type of support since the snes.

iHaunter

According to who? I put fucking 300 + in games like Fire Emblem 3Houses, Xenoblade 1&2, Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default 2 and fucking Hyping the crap out SMT5, you may not like those games but I and other people do.
Maybe it's just not for me. Chronicles 2 was terrible. I had the Deluxe Edition, ended up selling it. None of the games you mentioned are hype for me at all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe it's just not for me. Chronicles 2 was terrible. I had the Deluxe Edition, ended up selling it. None of the games you mentioned are hype for me at all.
No offence but I don't care you didn't liked Chronicles 2 or any other games I mentioned, I did and I liked them a lot and that all that matters.

I can also say Xbox is trash system because it doesn't have games but thats not really true it has games and it has lot of games but doesn't have the games I want and that basically all this thread comes down to. There people who like Nintendo games and there are people who doesn't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom