• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious question for Nintendo fans: What's the thing that makes you to be excited about Nintendo nowadays?

.Pennywise

Banned
So, speaking seriously and not to mock anyone nor any platform. I've been gaming since the '90s, I've been there when Nintendo was THE gaming manufacturer that could only be rivaled by SEGA. When Sony arrived at gaming with the PSX and the 3D was a whole new world.
The early 00s when Microsoft arrived to the console and gaming market with its Xbox. Etc etc etc.

I've known Nintendo for its great and polished games, and their awesome and always innovative hardware.

Fast forward to 2021, present day. And it's today that I've watched the Nintendo E3 Direct, in the hopes that something brought me back to adopt a Switch or future Switch Pro. To see something that makes me go back to the awesome N64 days, the powerful GameCube days, or even the innovative and fun Wii times.

But geee. Now I'm here trying to understand why Nintendo is one of the most successful companies in gaming today and why it has such diehard fans. I just cannot understand what's the thing that this company has that can make so many people excited.

All I saw was zero innovation, zero new IPs, zero graphics nor new ways to awe me. Only rehashed IPs, re-re-re-releases, HD's ports, third party games running at 15fps with graphics straight from the 7th gen.

All I could take home was a little Metroid game that seemed cool.. But nothing more than what indie companies and its games have been giving me for 10 years already.

It's the pure nostalgia of playing old games? It's the 1 or 2 in a generation game such a Mario Oddyssey or Breath of the Wild? It's that you just like the same IP's over and over and over and over and over and over...? It's just that you are so die-hard fans from the old days that no matter what Nintendo puts in your face you'll consume it anyway?

I'd really like to know why Nintendo seems like a company totally stuck in time to me, while so much people cheers over it like it's the second coming of Jesus for whatever they spit out.

To be fair, the Pandemic did affect their schedules so it may be a bad showing for them, which is still all right.

Nintendo tend to rest on their laurels when they have success, and try harder when they are struggling to get people to buy their console.

I buy Nintendo's consoles as they do tend to attract the Library I am interested in that Sony seems to be killing on their end regarding Japanese Support.

Rudius

Maybe it's just the price they are paying for staying behind the curve in the technology aspect since the Wii. I see Ratchet and Clank and am impressed; Forza Horizon 5 looks awesome for a racing fan like me; but the games Nintendo showed look dated, even the ones that seem nice to play, like Metroid.

games to where im not sitting mins to hours on end hearing boring soap opera dialogue where characters are staring at each other with lens flares for days while they take 5 mins to deliver a line"cough cough horizon zero dawn spider man ps4" i dont have a problem with games that have long cutscnes jrpgs,MGS ect But if you going to do cutscnes it needs to be 4d chess level deep, Anime as AF or Action level of interesting like KZ2 opening

ItsGreat

Because the PS5 and Xbox games with their gritty marionette style characters do not appeal to a wide audience.

Nintendo have a wide family appeal like Disney.

I think they appeal because they are not PlayStation or Xbox.

Last edited:

TexMex

I'm completely out on the Switch. Can't stand it. And before today, my answer would have been nothing.

But Metroid Dread and Advance Wars have me excited about Nintendo in a way I haven't been since GameCube/DS days.

Ailike

Here's a unpopular board opinion, but a lot of it is about my kid. He's 6. He can play Mario games, Luigis Mansion, Smash, Animal Crossing, and heaps of other stuff that A. I won't think is garbage baby shovelware, and B. won't turn him into a CHAOS killing edgelord before he's a teenager.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
How many console manufacturers are out there that would push something like WarioWare, Advance Wars, etc.?

I just want fun quality games or/and artistic games. I don't care if it's AAA, AA, Indie, developed by 1000 people or by 3 people in a basement.

There may be a lot of remasters and rereleases, but in the end, Nintendo knows what they are doing and their track record of quality titles is very good.

So, speaking seriously and not to mock anyone nor any platform. I've been gaming since the '90s, I've been there when Nintendo was THE gaming manufacturer that could only be rivaled by SEGA. When Sony arrived at gaming with the PSX and the 3D was a whole new world.
The early 00s when Microsoft arrived to the console and gaming market with its Xbox. Etc etc etc.

I've known Nintendo for its great and polished games, and their awesome and always innovative hardware.

Fast forward to 2021, present day. And it's today that I've watched the Nintendo E3 Direct, in the hopes that something brought me back to adopt a Switch or future Switch Pro. To see something that makes me go back to the awesome N64 days, the powerful GameCube days, or even the innovative and fun Wii times.

But geee. Now I'm here trying to understand why Nintendo is one of the most successful companies in gaming today and why it has such diehard fans. I just cannot understand what's the thing that this company has that can make so many people excited.

All I saw was zero innovation, zero new IPs, zero graphics nor new ways to awe me. Only rehashed IPs, re-re-re-releases, HD's ports, third party games running at 15fps with graphics straight from the 7th gen.

All I could take home was a little Metroid game that seemed cool.. But nothing more than what indie companies and its games have been giving me for 10 years already.

It's the pure nostalgia of playing old games? It's the 1 or 2 in a generation game such a Mario Oddyssey or Breath of the Wild? It's that you just like the same IP's over and over and over and over and over and over...? It's just that you are so die-hard fans from the old days that no matter what Nintendo puts in your face you'll consume it anyway?

I'd really like to know why Nintendo seems like a company totally stuck in time to me, while so much people cheers over it like it's the second coming of Jesus for whatever they spit out.
All companies just put out the same games over and over. Some try and make them pretty or edgy in their new iterations, but Nintendo just tries to make them fun. What's a better game than a fun one?

Fredrik

Great games. 🤷‍♂️
The top of my best game of all time list goes:
1. Super Metroid
2. Zelda BOTW
3. Metroid Dread??

But I don’t like the hybrid console. I never play portable so for me Switch is just an annoyingly weak stationary console. The games play great but look like they’re on PS2. A dream scenario would be that they skip the Switch Pro and jump in early with a beastly console next gen instead. With an updated BOTW2 and Metroid Prime 4 as launch titles 👌

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I really like Metroid, and I really like Mario, and I love Zelda.

Basically their games. I also very much appreciate when they create something out of left field.

If I had to depend completely on Microsoft or Sony I'd be bored out of my mind. It's just not my style.

Fbh

Because at their best they make fun and creative single player games.

Sadly these days they seem to release stuff that appeal to me less frequently. Loved my first year with the Switch with Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. But I have been waiting for an equally good year ever since and it's looking more and more like they'll have some new model or console out by the time they start releasing the good stuff again (BotW2, Prime 3, Bayonetta 3, a new Monolith soft game, etc)

Mario Kart, good gameplay and controls, fun, bright, and most of all NOSTALGIA

Mario Kart Nintendo GIF

Pilgrimzero

Nothing. I don’t like the direction they’ve taken certain franchises. They’d rather shit out 18 Mario’s instead of one Mega Man.

And even when they do something I like it’s low budget at a premium price. $60 for a side scrolling Metroid.

If Nintendo and Square ever combined into one entity they’d only put out games that are $120 a piece and never on on sale.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I must say that Nintendo's direct thing being narrated by zaney english speakers felt so weird.. shoulda been subtitled japanese! The Shin Megami Tensei 5 short being narrated by some far-out white chick also very jarring... think she was makoto in persona 5... sukijyanai

Nintendo games are, aside from the occasional Sackboy, my sole great chance of having a blast with bae, they're legit more fun for me than, say, RDR2, atm.

EDIT: ADVANCE WARS HELL YES.. also wii u? *wince*

BOTW.. expansion? looks like a bit of fun... Scanning closely to see if there's any hint of non-destructible weaponss.... nupe

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Gold Member
In my opinion, Nintendo has the ability to sustain beloved franchises while keeping them fresh, partly thanks to their artistic vision and partly thanks to investing in innovative forms of interaction. They have a great lineup of games, brand recognition and vast experience.

But most of all i think, it is the passion of the brand's lovers. Something that doesn't have to make any sense or have a specific cause.
For me it's nostalgia, the pleasure of playing something that, despite the passage of years, still evokes the same feelings.
I think Nintendo understands this and despite its constant evolution, it is still able to satisfy these types of needs.

Marvel14

Banned
This is a serious question. I don't want to start console wars or anything and I owned and loved Gameboy back in the day but why are Nintendo complete and utter shite? And why are consumers so stupid to let themselves get conned year after year with all of the same dross with no innovation or risk taking?

/S

On a serious note, does anyone remember Dragons Lair? Had visuals far beyond what hardware horsepower could normally produce but it had like a 5 hour replay value because the controls and gameplay were so basic and boring.

Compare that to Tetris on the Gameboy. In black and white and yet my dad and I must have logged 100 hours each on the bog playing it.

If someone is going to post a thread like this and act ignorant to the enduring quality AND VARIETY of Nintendo gameplay, I am sure that it is nothing more than a thinly veiled troll thread.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
So imagine this. You have 2 companies that are newly identical with one trying to up the other (PS and Xbox) meanwhile you have another company who doesn’t give a fig so it does whatever it wants (Nintendo)

Nintendo + PS or Xbox = awesome combination

PS+Xbox = wtf most games are in both systems.

So, one can argue that nintendo is boring or lacking drive, but they are a great system to use alongside another.

sorry for the long text I was inspired.

RGVNOE

Because they have some great games, I always get all consoles, and each one gives me a different experience, and different games that I can't play on the others.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Right now I am excited for Mario Golf, Skyward Sword HD, Metroid Dread and BoTW2. I will play the single player games "with" my 5 yo kid and maybe play golf against him. I would prefer that they put out a system that would rival my 3090 or come close to my PS5 but that won't happen. I like the hybrid system. I never play portable myself but it is great to give the kid on a long car trip.

Woopah

I agree there was a lack of new IP here. They were doing good with new IP until 2020 but now it's rubbish. I hoping Triangle Strategy is a sign things will be better next year.

Overall I like Nintendo first party as they offer a large number of games in a variety of genres. I have next to no interest in Mario Golf, Game Builder Garage, Warioware, Mario Party or Famicom Detective Club. But that's Ok because I do have interest in Bravely Default, Pokémon Snap, Metroid and Advance Wars.

odhiex

TBH, I have less desire to own a Nintendo Switch right now. I still want one, but maybe I better wait for the pro version instead.

Edit: just to add context on why I'd still want one. I think Nintendo is a great family console that I could play with my kids.

My first console was a bootleg NES, then SNES and the latest was a refurbished Wii, but I have "no emotional connection" whatsoever with Nintendo's established franchises/IPs. I mostly played whatever games that I think are fun. 😂

Last edited:
Their history of making sold ass games, some of which some people call some of the greatest games ever made. There's a really good change Nintendo will keep producing great games and that kinda thing keeps people around.

Jeeves

They put gameplay first. Their games almost always feel immediately great to play and offer something I can't find anywhere else. Plus, Japanese devs in general tend to be more aligned with my gaming sensibilities.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well a lot of people shit on Nintendo for "not making new IP's". Only thing is, they have a large arsenal of some of the best IP's around that they can create fresh takes on every three to four years - or sometimes longer. That's why I like their games so much. More Mario, Kart, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, whatever, but every several years they typically give us a refresh of those major IP's in some way.

Also, what's wrong with enjoying an old favorite in a revamped version? Remakes are cool if done well.

Knightime_X

Sony and MS doesn't have mario party, mario golf, mario kart, metroid, zelda, rpg something x, smash. etc.
I like nintendo because nintendo games.

Granted I don't buy 3rd party hardware demanding games on switch because they look horrific and run like ass.
If it runs 1080p 30fps or worse on switch i'll look elsewhere for that game.
Or just say fuck it and skip that game altogether.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They make the best games period. I cannot count how many times Nintendo has made me fall in love with gaming all over again.

on the flip side everyone else puts out the same shit. They literally make the same faves as each other with a slightly different theme.

YukiOnna

Excellent software. At the very least, even if the game is going to take a long ass time (Metroid Prime 4), I know it'll at least come out great in some way or another. And overall, the games are just consistently fun with a nice tone to it. They have the most "game-like" experiences if that makes sense and put a focus on Japanese gaming. I know people meme on the fact that they re-use the same IP's for 25+ years, but even with those classic games, they have iterated on them regularly with new approaches or spin-offs with a great amount of effort in them, which has something for everyone.

I don't think the core experience for Nintendo games has ever changed. I still play my 3DS.

Its really simple. They produce and sell games I am interested in playing.

Same reason I bought a PS5.

The problem with E3 is that it's not about games really. It's about hype. People aren't getting excited about games. They are getting excited about trailers for games. Sometimes even just "Game X is coming some day, here's the key art."

I didn't drop a few hundred bucks on a gaming device to sit and watch YouTube videos about games coming in a few years.

If 50+ games are announced at E3 then that's not relevant to me since I might only ever end up playing 10 of them at most down the line someday when they release. Maybe.

I wonder what it must be like for people eagerly sitting down watching what is basically 40 minutes of listing upcoming games. Do they just watch that and then pick up their existing games and play them while dreaming of all those games they'll see 3 years from now?

Why would I even want to be "excited" about the next 12 to 24 months worth of games when I've go great games to play right here and now?

Console Wars have to be the most pathetic thing in existence. Trying to figure out the mindset of "fanboys" or insisting that people are "defending" corporations that didn't announce the right upcoming games. Its all so bloody tiresome.

No offence here but you are talking about maybe buying a Switch based in the promise of future games. That's kind of dumb. Why not look at the existing game library and play games that actually exist now? It makes more sense than "I might buy this console but lets see if they might show a 30 second clip of 25 games coming up in the next 2 years".

I reckon it is probably best to get into a console 2 or 3 years after launch. That way you have plenty of great games to play and by the time you get through them there will be more new ones released while you were playing.

E3 this year has me questioning if the gaming community actually even likes games. Do we maybe just like hype a bit more than actually playing something? It's just wall to wall people moaning that the presentations were boring or whatever.

mcjmetroid

These days? It's tough. I am always criticising Nintendo for a very poor second half of the Switch's life.

I liked this year's E3 though. Back on track a little bit.

Top Bottom