• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X or PS5?

tecmo9000

Whichever one you can get. I just nabbed a Series X, but won't play it until Avowed or Starfield hits. Still getting the Steamdeck, still mainly playing my PS4 Pro.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah I'm aware, I've thought about it. Do you run wires through your walls?

I've actually thought of getting a PC since I kinda want to do some CUDA programming (primarily a Mac guy when it comes to what tools I use for my work), but ... just haven't gotten to that point yet. Used to build all my own PCs back in the day. I suppose this could be moved to a DM, this feels off topic haha.

Ahhh I remember the days of shopping for cool cases. :pie_thinking: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good times.

Nope, I have an RTX 3070 laptop that offers equivalent performance to both my desktop (which could do with a GPU upgrade but fuck the current prices) and PS5. Granted, it wasn't cheap but it provides everything I need (I use it for work when I travel), it's quiet and is discreetly docked in my living room in a location that nobody would notice unless pointed out to them.

I did the wire run solution in my previous place and it worked perfectly fine but that was years ago and it was only for 1080p 5.1 (hdmi 2.0). Since I moved I did Steam Link and Nvidia gamestream prior to getting the laptop this year but while they work well neither are flawless unless running an ethernet cable which kind of defeats the purpose. The experience with something natively wired up via HDMI is far superior in all aspects.

But anyway anyone who wants access to the Xbox games but isn't interested in anything else PC offers you'd be better off just getting a Series X.

----

I see PC being offered as a solution but it has to be the most expensive route with regards to hardware. Also how much would a PC cost that would outperform the XSX or even better the XSS? Could you even build a PC that outperforms the XSS for $300? The flexibility the PC offers really revolves around running Word and Excel or doing other productivity work. Of course @Dr Bass already mentioned not everyone want to deal with the hassle of building and maintaining a PC so I don't really see how it's a real alternative to console gaming especially in a chip shortage era. PS5 and XSS would make more sense and still give you access to all the games at a fraction of the cost or effort.

PC offers an infinite back catalogue, full autonomy on game settings, completely open peripheral support and endless amounts of emulation. But yeh, flexibility is just excel and work.

Also nobody in this thread cares about the Series S, look at the title of this thread. Stop wasting my time.

Hezekiah

Banned
This is always arguable and going to come down to what kinds of games the player prefers. There are plenty of people who think those games aren't great and would prefer Starfield, Halo, and Forza games, along with the other stuff Xbox is going to have this gen.

Again, comes down to preferences and what the player wants.
The great thing about PS5 is that there is so much variety coming. And when it comes to production values no one matches them. And then with my PC I'm able to play Halo and Forza and it's hardly cost me anything, plus I can use it for work, torrenting shows/movies etc.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If I had to get one it would be a XSX because gamepass is all you really need, theres enough great content on it that you could be gaming all day.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm enjoying both consoles myself. I have Xbox Series X for Microsoft exclusives and whatever else is on Game Pass and PS5 for everything else. So naturally most of my time is spent on PS5 although recently I've been enjoying Halo Infinite quite a bit. The two consoles really do compliment each other very well.

KAL2006

Banned
How many games do you have time to play a year OP. If you have time to play 30 games a year Series X is the best system. If you like me and probably can only play around 10 a year which to be honest it's still alot, then I suggest a PS5 especially because you haven't touched PS4 games either. The selling point of Gamepass saving you money is out the window if you can't play that many games. In fact you would save more money not subscribing to Gamepass and getting PSN Plus, play the top games on the Plus Collection which would take some time as you haven't ayed PS4 games. By the time you are done with those you can then go grab used PS4 games for £5, simply use metacritic as a guide for the top PS4 games and search your local used game store. Once you are done with the PS4 backlog which realistically will take years, PS5 games will come down in price by alot. People suggesting Gamepass really don't sit down and do the actual maths. Also generally PS4/PS5 exclusive lineup is superior to Xbox ONE/Series.

----

PC offers an infinite back catalogue, full autonomy on game settings, completely open peripheral support and endless amounts of emulation. But yeh, flexibility is just excel and work.

Also nobody in this thread cares about the Series S, look at the title of this thread. Stop wasting my time.
Hah! I didn't see him asking about PC either but here you see extolling the virtues of the absolute most expensive option available. At least the XSS is a console. Talk about wasting time.

Kagey K

Banned
How many games do you have time to play a year OP. If you have time to play 30 games a year Series X is the best system. If you like me and probably can only play around 10 a year which to be honest it's still alot, then I suggest a PS5 especially because you haven't touched PS4 games either. The selling point of Gamepass saving you money is out the window if you can't play that many games. In fact you would save more money not subscribing to Gamepass and getting PSN Plus, play the top games on the Plus Collection which would take some time as you haven't ayed PS4 games. By the time you are done with those you can then go grab used PS4 games for £5, simply use metacritic as a guide for the top PS4 games and search your local used game store. Once you are done with the PS4 backlog which realistically will take years, PS5 games will come down in price by alot. People suggesting Gamepass really don't sit down and do the actual maths. Also generally PS4/PS5 exclusive lineup is superior to Xbox ONE/Series.
OP is already a green rat, you should have chimed in sooner. 😅

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Hah! I didn't see him asking about PC either but here you see extolling the virtues of the absolute most expensive option available. At least the XSS is a console. Talk about wasting time.

I was not the person who originally brought up the PC and we were just having a chat until you decided to chime in.

And news flash, not everyone is a broke desperate shill.

Top Bottom