• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X or PS5?

sainraja

Hi guys. I am looking to jump in to next gen (having not bothered with ps4 / xbox one). But I am on the fence as to which to get.

I currently have a 360 with a load of disc games (and some original xbox). I was thinking maybe getting gamepass ultimate for streaming. My last Sony console was ps2 (got discs but not played at all aside from psx gpolice in last 10 years on it).

I only have a 10yr old 1080p tv (wont replace until it breaks) but I refuse to go without a drive. I don't sell old consoles so backwards compatibility is nice but not essential.

On PS5 side I did enjoy a few ps4 games at friends and the new controller looks interesting (if a little gimped by the analogue placement). My impression is the library on ps4 was superior last gen so I am tempted not to miss out. I hate loading.

Generally I like arcade games or single player with 6 to 30 hour campaigns.

Which would offer the best entertainment for someone who has some catching up to do? Iam not invested in console wars so all advice welcome 😀
Given you have history with the Xbox, perhaps start with the Xbox. You can pick up the PS5 later on. My personal recommendation based on my experience so far with both systems would be PS5 since I had more to play on it that interested me but Game Pass is an option on Xbox that allows you to dabble in various games with a set monthly fee.

Last edited:

Boglin

For playstation, the playstation plus collection is amazing, and PS Now has 800~ titles. All of the PS4 and PS2 titles on PS Now are able to be downloaded so you don't need to stream them.

Xbox has Game Pass with a similar amount of games available for download as PS Now but you can get the first 3 months for $1 each and you'll actually get all of Microsoft's new first-party titles to play the day they are released, along with some 3rd party titles as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either console but if you're interested in these types of game downloading services then Game Pass is more compelling for its lower cost of entry and more recent titles going forward, imo.

N4WW4FV2

Neo Member
Since you only have a 1080p TV, I'd say your most economical option would be to get a Series S. This is especially the case if you used to have an Xbox 360 and might have some purchases you made, because they might be playable on the Series S since it's backwards compatible.

If you're looking for something more future proof, I'd personally recommend a Series X. The library on Game Pass sounds like it'd be right in line with your interests (lots of "arcade" style games and shorter single player stuff) and it'd be a really inexpensive way to get a bunch of stuff now as well as a decently rotating library of things going forward. And since you like arcade games and older stuff, it's pretty easy to get Retroarch running on the Series X without much fuss, which even supports playing older (NES, Genesis, N64, etc.) games with Retro Achievements.

My thoughts exactly. Especially since you have 360 disc games chances are they have been enhanced in one way or another (Resolution or FPS Boost or BOTH!) which breathes new life into them imo. It's very useful since we are now in the drought of next gen titles due to Covid-delays. Also gamepass!

rapid32.5

Good luck finding either
angry liam neeson GIF

In 2022...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hi guys. I am looking to jump in to next gen (having not bothered with ps4 / xbox one). But I am on the fence as to which to get.

I currently have a 360 with a load of disc games (and some original xbox). I was thinking maybe getting gamepass ultimate for streaming. My last Sony console was ps2 (got discs but not played at all aside from psx gpolice in last 10 years on it).

I only have a 10yr old 1080p tv (wont replace until it breaks) but I refuse to go without a drive. I don't sell old consoles so backwards compatibility is nice but not essential.

On PS5 side I did enjoy a few ps4 games at friends and the new controller looks interesting (if a little gimped by the analogue placement). My impression is the library on ps4 was superior last gen so I am tempted not to miss out. I hate loading.

Generally I like arcade games or single player with 6 to 30 hour campaigns.

Which would offer the best entertainment for someone who has some catching up to do? Iam not invested in console wars so all advice welcome 😀
Considering your preference for single-player story campaigns, I'd say PS5 is a much better option for you.

gow3isben

Buy PS5 now and X the SEX down the line in a few years when it is cheaper.

Don't bother with S. As soon as companies start publishing exclusively for this new gen S is going to have some very poorly optimized games that run like crap.

Last edited:
they have made me regret every digital PS3 title I've ever bought with their very cool backward compatibility.
This cannot be overstated. Right now Microsoft is the only platform holder of the big three who I'd trust with my digital purchases. They have a pretty good track record of offering backwards compatibility and actually giving a shit about preservation and long term support of their software.

That being said, as someone who owns both a PS5 and a XSX I like the PS5 a bit more (but not much). I like the controller better and I think the OS is more fun to use (entirely subjective, of course). How important are ES6 and Starfield to you, OP? Go with the one that caters to your taste in games better. Both have about the same offerings in terms of arcadey titles I'd say.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
If you choose PS5 I'm jealous of the overwhelming amount of great games you're gonna get to experience

Uncharted 4
Spider-man
Ghost of Tsushima
Detroit Become Human
Until Dawn
Days Gone
Bloodborne
Demon Souls
Sackboy
FIST
Returnal
Spider-man MM
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Astro's Playroom
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Ratchet and Clank PS4
Death Stranding
Infamous Second Son
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Alienation
Nex Machina

Insane 😳

Last edited:

Bramble

It depends on the games, but if that doesn't matter, PS5 is the better option by far. It has the best performing multiplats and by far the biggest library of both overall games , rentals and exclusives. Especially with all the PS4 bangers via BC. It also has the (IMO) better and more next gen controller with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers and it also has the option to access VR. And if you're a graphics whore: it hast the most ray traced games and actual exclusives with ray tracing running at 60fps.

If you live in the UK, then PS5. Simply because you will not be able to get a Series X.

And you can just walk up in a store and pick up a PS5 off the shelve?

Since you only have a 1080p TV, I'd say your most economical option would be to get a Series S. This is especially the case if you used to have an Xbox 360 and might have some purchases you made, because they might be playable on the Series S since it's backwards compatible.

If you're looking for something more future proof, I'd personally recommend a Series X. The library on Game Pass sounds like it'd be right in line with your interests (lots of "arcade" style games and shorter single player stuff) and it'd be a really inexpensive way to get a bunch of stuff now as well as a decently rotating library of things going forward. And since you like arcade games and older stuff, it's pretty easy to get Retroarch running on the Series X without much fuss, which even supports playing older (NES, Genesis, N64, etc.) games with Retro Achievements.

As others have said though, the PS5 with the PS+ collection is a hell of a deal and will certainly keep you busy for a long time.

Either way you decide to go, have fun!

I'm sorry but no disc drive, only 500GB of storage, very low performance, forced to buy SSD expansion at a very steep price, I'd say Series S is the least economical option.

Last edited:

Nico_D

I have both but if I'd have to choose which one I prefer at the moment, I have to say - to my surprise- XBX. Gamepass is so good and alone makes XBX better for me. That may change when PS5 games start to get released next year, maybe.

Both are great though, I really like PS5 after finishing two PS5 games with it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Having checked the OP, I can easily reccomend a PS5 over a Series X.

The main advantage of Series X over PS5 is Gamepass. But because you are so behind in games having skipped PS4 and Xbox One, you don't need Gamepass because you can grab used games that you missed out on for dirt cheap, it will actually cost you less than Gamepass to do this.

So discounting Gamepass, why PS5 over Series X, simply because there are way more quality exclusives between PS5 and PS4 over Series and One consoles.

With PS5 you can start with the Plus collection to catch-up with some of the best games from PS4, that collection itself would take you are year or 2 depending on how many gams you play. You have God of War, Horizon, Ratchet, Resident Evil 7, Uncharted 4 and etc. Then after you finish those you can continue to get more PS4 games, a simple metacritic search of the top games with a YouTube search would help you out. After you done with the backlog of cheap PS4 games you can then start the PS5 games by then the PS5 games will be dirt cheap.

While I can't argue that he would have some great ps4 games to play, your completely skipping the large group of older games on gamepass that would equally offer a ton of great gaming for someone who is behind. It's a wash.

I'm sorry but no disc drive, only 500GB of storage, very low performance, forced to buy SSD expansion at a very steep price, I'd say Series S is the least economical option.
This is false. The XSS does not require any SSD expansion card anymore than the PS5 requires an internal NVME. Low performance is also false seeing how it has more 120fps titles than other current gen consoles not called the XSX. It also has considerably cheaper games with Game pass and a multitude of sources for digital titles which cannot be said for other platforms. It's fine if you prefer the games on the PS5 but no need to spread misinformation.

Bramble

This is false. The XSS does not require any SSD expansion card anymore than the PS5 requires an internal NVME. Low performance is also false seeing how it has more 120fps titles than other current gen consoles not called the XSX. It also has considerably cheaper games with Game pass and a multitude of sources for digital titles which cannot be said for other platforms. It's fine if you prefer the games on the PS5 but no need to spread misinformation.

If you don't mind deleting and redownloading all the time, then you are right. You are doomed to buying everything digital and cannot resell physical games. That 500GB fills up really fast. Especially since Xbox is missing something similar like PS5's Kraken. PS5 has more storage and some games are like 40% smaller. So no, it's not false. In fact: a while back somebody counted the storage sizes of all next gen native games and guess what: Series X 1TB can store less of them than PS5's 825GB. How is having 500GB enough? And PS5 uses a non-proprietary storage solution, so you can get cheaper storage, not to mention it also downloads faster, according to the latest reports I saw.

And at what resolution do those games run? I'm talking overall performance including res. and basic. Dude has a 1080p tv. He won't be playing at 120fps. Series S was marketed much higher than what it currently brings to the table. We've already seen games dropping below 700p, if I recall correctly. Or close to that. We even saw games performing worse than One X. It's a scam if you ask me.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
This is basically a Sonygaf meme from years gone by.

A bit like "I have a gaming PC"

/narrator "his PC can barely run spreadsheets".

If your PC can barely run spreadsheets then you have a valid reason to buy a Xbox.

In my case I have a 12-core Ryzen 9 5900X and a RX 6900XT with 64GB RAM and NVMe drives.
I wouldn't be gaining much by buying a Xbox. And that's ok for Microsoft because I'm still playing their games on my Windows PC.

I'd say anyone with a PC with a RX6700XT / 3060 Ti / 2080 Ti and up, and a Ryzen 5800X and up will be gaining very little for going with a Series X, let alone a Series S.

Of course, considering the ridiculously high cost of GPUs today, it's a much better bang-for-buck to get a Series X or PS5 at MSRP than it is to get a PC with similar or better hardware.
My point only applies if the OP already has a decent gaming PC.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
While I can't argue that he would have some great ps4 games to play, your completely skipping the large group of older games on gamepass that would equally offer a ton of great gaming for someone who is behind. It's a wash.

Gamepass would be more expensive though. If you so behind of games you better off going to a used game store and picking up s game for like £5 as well as play Plus Collection.

The reason I'm saying this is that is exactly what I'm doing I missed out alot of PS4 games and have been playing Plus collection and buying used games. So far since I had a PS5 I've spend £30 for PSN Plus and just been playing Plus Collection games.

But the time I'm done with the backlog of PS4 games I'll be paying for PS5 games for like £10 and under. This model of gaming is much cheaper than Gamepass and I'm not restricted to games on a service.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Gamepass would be more expensive though. If you so behind of games you better off going to a used game store and picking up s game for like £5 as well as play Plus Collection.

The reason I'm saying this is that is exactly what I'm doing I missed out alot of PS4 games and have been playing Plus collection and buying used games. So far since I had a PS5 I've spend £30 for PSN Plus and just been playing Plus Collection games.

But the time I'm done with the backlog of PS4 games I'll be paying for PS5 games for like £10 and under. This model of gaming is much cheaper than Gamepass and I'm not restricted to games on a service.

Really not a bad strategy when your behind, but 2 things:

-The same strategy applies to older xbox games

- While your method is cheaper, your not adding in value of other games (found tons of gems this way) on gamepass and also the bonus value of some newer games, plus xbox gold included. (So really gamepass isn't $15 per month) Not to mention the gold to ultimate conversion trick.......

KAL2006

Banned
Really not a bad strategy when your behind, but 2 things:

-The same strategy applies to older xbox games

- While your method is cheaper, your not adding in value of other games (found tons of gems this way) on gamepass and also the bonus value of some newer games, plus xbox gold included. (So really gamepass isn't $15 per month) Not to mention the gold to ultimate conversion trick.......

I stated my reasons why I prefer PS5 over Xbox, it's the exclusives. Xbox One lineup is worse than PS4 lineup. I know that's can be down to the individual but the OP stated they like singleplayer games. Also based on metacritic reviews and game of the year nominees PS4 exclusive lineup is better than Xbox One. As for PS5 Vs Series X line up we can't really judge as these systems are still new. But as the OP stated he likes singplelayer games, and is on a budget it lead to my suggestion of being better off with PS5 with Plus Collection that should last OP 2 years then pick up PS4 games in used game stores for £5. Like I said I have only spent £30 since I had a PS5 which is cheaper than Gamepass and based on my tasted I think I'd prefer games like God of War, Horizon etc over Xbox exclusives. I used to own a 360 and I'm not really into multiplayer games, FPS and racing games.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you want to play Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, whatever Naughty Dog is doing next, etc? Get a PS5.

Do you want to play Halo, Forza, Gears of War, future Bethesda releases, etc? Get an Xbox.

For multiplats it's more or less a wash, with them trading wins (and in most cases the differences are miniscule enough that it doesn't really matter).

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
And you can just walk up in a store and pick up a PS5 off the shelve?

Lol no.

Both consoles are hard to get hold of. PS5 might seem easier, but that's only because Sony have been providing regular stock, probably because the UK is thirsty for the PS5. You still can't walk into a store and buy one.

RAIDEN1

Xbox Series X without a shadow of a doubt, for me nothing stands out on the PS5 currently apart from Ratchet, meanwhile on Xbox you have the best racing game around in Forza Horizon 5, and the juggernaut that is Halo around the corner...not to mention it is the only place (console wise) where you can still play some of the last great Metal Gear Solid games - 2, 3, and Peacewalker..

Last edited:

Cryio

PS5 to play PS4 and PS5 exclusives

GamePass Ultimate to stream most games in better quality than PS5 in regards to multiplatforms and Xbox exclusives.

theDeeDubs

Both are great. I mostly just play Soulslikes nowadays so easily PS5 for me (Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne). I recently canceled my gamepass sub after my $1 conversion years’ worth time ran out. It felt like subbing to Netflix just for movies- a few gems but mostly quantity over quality. It wasn’t worth the normal monthly price to me.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Since you have a basic and likely old 1080p TV and are unsure about current gaming, I think this is one of those cases where the xbox series S makes perfect sense.

Its literally a console for the people who are unsure and don't want to spend alot of money. I would pick it up now though, its coming to Christmas and once the parents realise they can't get a PS5 or Series X they will flock to it as a consolation gift.

Roufianos

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I prefer my Series X but it really depends on which 1st party appeals to you more and how big a draw Game Pass is. Also, Dual Sense isn't that big of a deal, at least for me.

Top Bottom