• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X or PS5?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Based on what you say both consoles are great options.

In terms of exclusives, its really a matter if u want to play the gears of war series, halo and sunset overdrive or the uncharted series, tlou 1+2, spiderman, god of war etc etc

Only you will know the answer to this.

Saucy Papi

Hi guys. I am looking to jump in to next gen (having not bothered with ps4 / xbox one). But I am on the fence as to which to get.

I currently have a 360 with a load of disc games (and some original xbox). I was thinking maybe getting gamepass ultimate for streaming. My last Sony console was ps2 (got discs but not played at all aside from psx gpolice in last 10 years on it).

I only have a 10yr old 1080p tv (wont replace until it breaks) but I refuse to go without a drive. I don't sell old consoles so backwards compatibility is nice but not essential.

On PS5 side I did enjoy a few ps4 games at friends and the new controller looks interesting (if a little gimped by the analogue placement). My impression is the library on ps4 was superior last gen so I am tempted not to miss out. I hate loading.

Generally I like arcade games or single player with 6 to 30 hour campaigns.

Which would offer the best entertainment for someone who has some catching up to do? Iam not invested in console wars so all advice welcome 😀
Unless you have a PC, you really need both. Microsoft and Sony are going to have some incredible exclusives this generation and Microsoft's BC is second to none (for the catching up you mention).

KAL2006

Banned
Unless you have a PC, you really need both. Microsoft and Sony are going to have some incredible exclusives this generation and Microsoft's BC is second to none (for the catching up you mention).

You really don't need both. A person doesn't need to play every single game. Unless the person has so much free time and no other hobbies, family, friends then perhaps you are correct.

Hunnybun

Short answer
A5-C9134-E-DFC8-4-D40-ADC4-74-E0-C37-F18-CF.jpg

What every console gamer wants: flight simulators and real time strategy games!

Thanks again for all responses. It looks like I am out of luck finding either atm.

Doing some research the fps boost on xbox doesn't do many of my old games so not as good a draw as I hoped, though if their 1st party / exclusives are as good as it was during 360 days then I would be very happy. If the series S had a disc drive I would have gone for that this week.

Rachet seems like it has the wow factor I am looking for and there are some interesting ps4 games to grab. Looks like it will be which ever machine comes into stock first. If they both come at the same time I will be screwed.

p2sfh09.jpg

Thanks to your positive replies I wont feel like I have made a disastrous mistake either way.

I assume the indie scene is equal on both. I loved Horizon Chase and hope to dip into some more old school games too.

Last edited:

Jaybe

PS5. I say this as a current XSX owner who had a PS4 Pro last gen. If you missed PS4’s library of single player games and you love single player games, it is the best choice. I’ll buy a PS5 or some subsequent PS console to play them all again at some point.

Mercador

If I didn't had already a 1070 gpu, I would go for an Xbox + Xbox Gold Ultimate for 3 years and stop caring about buying games for that time period.

svbarnard

Banned
Hard choice for me but I’d say the ps5 just wins with the first party games. Spider-Man and ghost of Tsushima are must play games IMO. That said I’ve been having a blast on my X.
"I’d say the ps5 just wins with the first party games."

How the hell does PlayStation win with the first party games? Do you realize Microsoft owns Bethesda which means PS5 isn't getting any Bethesda title in the future including the awesome looking new game starfield?

Microsoft now has in total 23 game studios so there are a ton of first party titles coming in the future for series X/S, such as the new fable, gears of war 6, the new Perfect Dark, the elder scrolls like first person RPG game Avowed, and of course any title coming from Bethesda!

I mean Microsoft owns fucking Bethesda and yet you're going to sit here and say the PS5 has better games?

Also out of the 23 game studios Microsoft owns now many titles still haven't been revealed, but are being worked on right now.

kikkis

Well the choice has been made for me by the supply shortage.

I am expecting a series x with game pass to be delivered in the next few days.

Quick question:

Can I transfer saves and purchases from my 360?
My ms account had at least my purchases from 360 era

Quick question:

Most of the games you played online on 360 will still carry over. I still had a save from Castle Crashers from the 360. Games you bought that are still compatible on the Series consoles can still be downloaded and played. Again Castle Crashers still works and I didn't have to repurchase.

Jaybe

Quick question:

‘With Gamepass’? Did you do the All Access financing thing?

I literally wrote down what games I enjoyed or will enjoy in future in addition to each consoles benefits and made my own decision based on that.

Not sure what coming to a gaming forum and asking other dudes what console you should by is going to achieve.

In the end its your money and time that will go into this hobby and not anyone else's on this forum.

Topher

Gold Member
There won't be a Game Pass like thing on PlayStation and the PS5 DE is the absolutely worst console when it comes to money.

It is great value for those who want PlayStation and don't care to buy physical anymore. How is it not? Hell, I wish there was a DE version of XSX as I certainly would have bought that for $400.

Last edited:
It is great value for those who want PlayStation and don't care to buy physical anymore. How is it not? Hell, I wish there was a DE version of XSX as I certainly would have bought that for $400.
It's still the worst console if it comes to money, if you don't care about money DE is fine i guess.

Xbox is another thing thanks to Game Pass and cheap games. I mean where do you get Farming Simulator 22 for 15 bucks on PS for example? Nowhere. Moneywise a XSX would be better than a PS5 DE. And that's all i was talking about: money.

Peronally i would always get the consoles with drives even if i was mostly digital.

Toots

Gold Member
Psx
1832.png

and série 5
S0-essai-video-bmw-serie-5-g30-2017-395151.jpg

all day

edit : goddam phone screw my joke and i had to edit on desktop :/

Last edited:

SpokkX

I have both

Lets see

This year I have bought and played about 30-35 hours on PS5
Ratchet
Returnal
A couple of hours of that Destruction game
Actraiser

This year I have played about 1000 hours of Xbox Series X
Most of it i just got via Gamepass including
The Ascent
Sea of theives a pirate life
Psychonauts 2
Forza Horizon 5
It Takes Two
Halo campaign
.. and Halo multiplayer (technically free)

+ third paid for some party stuff like RE8

Lognor

Banned

Quick question:

Congrats! Excellent choice!

Hopefully you took advantage of one of the deals on Game Pass. You are in for a good ride!

Topher

Gold Member
It's still the worst console if it comes to money, if you don't care about money DE is fine i guess.

Xbox is another thing thanks to Game Pass and cheap games. I mean where do you get Farming Simulator 22 for 15 bucks on PS for example? Nowhere. Moneywise a XSX would be better than a PS5 DE. And that's all i was talking about: money.

Peronally i would always get the consoles with drives even if i was mostly digital.

Well I'm not buying Farming Simulator on either console. Game Pass is great as long as the service has the games I want to play. Those games are different for every one. Just goes to show how subjective "value" really is. DE doesn't make sense to you, but certainly does for PS digital only gamers.

To each their own.

Well I'm not buying Farming Simulator on either console. Game Pass is great as long as the service has the games I want to play. Those games are different for every one. Just goes to show how subjective "value" really is. DE doesn't make sense to you, but certainly does for PS digital only gamers.

To each their own.
Like i said i was just talking about money, nothing else.

If we stay in the PlayStation universe, it's PS5>PS5 DE
If we stay in the Xbox universe, it's XSS>XSX
If we are talking about bot universes, it's XSX>PS5>XSS>PS5 DE

Again, that's not a question of what games/platform you prefer, it's just about money. FS 22 was like i said just an example, i could go on with Hitman 3 for 17,99 and many more.

You prefer the PS5 DE or a possible XSX DE? That's fine, never said it was stupid to buy it.

buenoblue

Oooh, that's a tough one. Both are very good options. I have a ps5 and really love it, but I also have a decent gaming PC so use gamepass on there. Playing Forza horizon 5 and Halo infinite right now, great games. Halo might be my goty. Really enjoyed miles morales and ratchet though too. Plus it's great playing gow, got, last of us 2 an d horizon zero dawn at 60fps.

If I didn't have a pc I'd defo get a series x too. Not very helpful lol. I guess it comes down to the which exclusives you enjoy and maybe gamespass. I feel ps5 slightly edges it though if you like big budget single player games.

‘With Gamepass’? Did you do the All Access financing thing?
Yes. I could not buy on the website otherwise. But with only 80meg broadband, I think a bit of cloud streaming before committing to a download could be handy for me.

Still I will make essential purchases on disk though. But at least for ms stuff I can "try before you buy".

Side bonus is if I regret not having a ps5 I can buy one later on having not splurged half a grand upfront here.

Last edited:

Irobot82

PS5. If there ever is an Xbox only game I actually want (which I guess in the future will be Obsidian and Bethesda games) I'll get them day 1 on PC. Playstation exclusives I can get day 1 on the PS5 if I want them or for my kids. Those games usually take two plus years to come on PC and then sometimes overpriced (I'm looking at you FFVII).

BatSu

If there is no option to buy both, you have to choose the one with the games that you like the most regardless of the power of the console.

In my case, I was "forced" to buy both. I like the PS5 exclusives much more but the console, its construction seems rubbish to me. I'm also not willing to wait a year or more for the exclusives to come out on PC. This is the real reason for the purchase of PS5. On the other hand, the SeriesX, without being a big fan of its exclusives and being able to play them on PC, I think that as a sonsola it is the best in every way.

The ideal is to have them all, but it is clear that not all can. At that time games should be the priority for the best choice.

PD: Google translator :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

SpokkX

If you choose PS5 I'm jealous of the overwhelming amount of great games you're gonna get to experience

Uncharted 4
Spider-man
Ghost of Tsushima
Detroit Become Human
Until Dawn
Days Gone
Bloodborne
Demon Souls
Sackboy
FIST
Returnal
Spider-man MM
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Astro's Playroom
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Ratchet and Clank PS4
Death Stranding
Infamous Second Son
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Alienation
Nex Machina

Insane 😳
To be fair that is just a list of sony first party, if you include infamous, days gone, detroit, alienation, sackboy and until dawn you might as well highly recommend knack too.

i dont think those old games compare to what you get on gamepass anyway.. i would buy series x now for gamepass and third party (usually better on xbox - better performance) and just get a ps5 in a couple of years when there are more than 3 good exclusives

sinisterpanda

Neo Member
lol that service is nothing like game pass, its literally a rebranding of PS+/PSNow
that rumored "tier 2" subscription is literally game pass ultimate without day one exclusives. which is normal because ps exclusives are too good for being on a subscription day one. but yes the whole thing is not confirmed yet tho.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
To be fair that is just a list of sony first party, if you include infamous, days gone, detroit, alienation, sackboy and until dawn you might as well highly recommend knack too.

i dont think those old games compare to what you get on gamepass anyway.. i would buy series x now for gamepass and third party (usually better on xbox - better performance) and just get a ps5 in a couple of years when there are more than 3 good exclusives
Those are great games that you listed. 3rd party games are a wash this gen, there's no major difference

100% this. If you only want PlayStation games it makes sense but from saving the gamer money perspective the PlayStation 5 DE isn't great. Part of the issue is that Sony is the sole source of digital games and you'd have to pay whatever they charge. Not a great deal for consumers. I'd say the normal disc PS5 is a better value. That's why I chose that one.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
PS5 and PC.

The best exclusives this generation, including God of War, Spiderman, Wolverine, and whatever Naughty Dog cook up on PS5.

Plus any Xbox exclusives can be played dirt cheap with PC GamePass deals (I've got six months for £17) at 1440p/120fps with a decent rig, and with free online.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

PS5 and PC.

The best exclusives this generation, including God of War, Spiderman, Wolverine, and whatever Naught Dog cook up on PS5.

Plus any Xbox exclusives can be played dirt cheap with PC GamePass deals (I've got six months for £17) at 1440p/120fps with a decent rig, and with free online.
This is always arguable and going to come down to what kinds of games the player prefers. There are plenty of people who think those games aren't great and would prefer Starfield, Halo, and Forza games, along with the other stuff Xbox is going to have this gen.

Again, comes down to preferences and what the player wants.

GHG

Gold Member
This is always arguable and going to come down to what kinds of games the player prefers. There are plenty of people who think those games aren't great and would prefer Starfield, Halo, and Forza games, along with the other stuff Xbox is going to have this gen.

Again, comes down to preferences and what the player wants.

And if you also have a PC you can access those. It's the ultimate combo, especially due to the fact that PC offers far more flexibility than any console ever will.

If Playstation went the Xbox route and also put all their games on PC day and date guaranteed then I'd say all anyone needs is a PC.

Depends on what you play and what display. Xbox series is best for 3rd party games like BF2042 and what not.

Sony lied about VRR, which can be a huge plus depending on the game. They figured out colored plates though.

Dr Bass

And if you also have a PC you can access those. It's the ultimate combo, especially due to the fact that PC offers far more flexibility than any console ever will.

If Playstation went the Xbox route and also put all their games on PC day and date guaranteed then I'd say all anyone needs is a PC.
Makes total sense. I also don't like PC gaming myself because I just don't want the hassle of Windows or a big expensive box dedicated to games, and I do software engineering for a living. I want to sit down and push a button and go on a big screen with good surround sound. And yes, I know you can set up a PC to do that, but again ... don't want the box, just want to buy a thing and push a button when it comes to games. But I totally get liking PC. Just not for me.

I just think it's funny to see people give their advice of "you should do this!" because it's what they like. The question is ... well what does the person asking actually want for themselves?

I spend too much time on this board. :messenger_tongue:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have both

Lets see

This year I have bought and played about 30-35 hours on PS5
Ratchet
Returnal
A couple of hours of that Destruction game
Actraiser

This year I have played about 1000 hours of Xbox Series X
Most of it i just got via Gamepass including
The Ascent
Sea of theives a pirate life
Psychonauts 2
Forza Horizon 5
It Takes Two
Halo campaign
.. and Halo multiplayer (technically free)

+ third paid for some party stuff like RE8
Exactly how I use them as well.

PS5 for their exclusives

Series X for everything else

Pimpbaa

PS5 is the safe bet considering the PS4's more consistent quantity and quality of games (compared to the XB1). But MS has acquired numerous devs so the XSX/XSS could fare a hell of a lot better than the XB1 did.

bender

What time is it?
Since you didn't have a PS4, I'd probably lean towards the PS5. I don't think you can go wrong either way. XSX with Game Pass has saved me a ton of money this year on 3rd party titles.

GHG

Gold Member
Makes total sense. I also don't like PC gaming myself because I just don't want the hassle of Windows or a big expensive box dedicated to games, and I do software engineering for a living. I want to sit down and push a button and go on a big screen with good surround sound. And yes, I know you can set up a PC to do that, but again ... don't want the box, just want to buy a thing and push a button when it comes to games. But I totally get liking PC. Just not for me.

I just think it's funny to see people give their advice of "you should do this!" because it's what they like. The question is ... well what does the person asking actually want for themselves?

I spend too much time on this board. :messenger_tongue:

What if I told you I don't have a box in my living room and I have all of that (connected to my 65 inch OLED and a 7.1.2 dolby atmos sound system)? I also don't have to get off the sofa to operate any of it.

Like I said, flexibility. If it's not for you it's not for you, I'm not trying to convince you, just make you aware the option to create a "console" experience from a PC exists.

I'd also like to point out that the profile my PS5 takes up is pretty much equivalent to a decent modern mATX case. The PS5 is a box when set up vertically.

Last edited:

I see PC being offered as a solution but it has to be the most expensive route with regards to hardware. Also how much would a PC cost that would outperform the XSX or even better the XSS? Could you even build a PC that outperforms the XSS for $300? The flexibility the PC offers really revolves around running Word and Excel or doing other productivity work. Of course Dr Bass Dr Bass already mentioned not everyone want to deal with the hassle of building and maintaining a PC so I don't really see how it's a real alternative to console gaming especially in a chip shortage era. PS5 and XSS would make more sense and still give you access to all the games at a fraction of the cost or effort.

Dr Bass

What if I told you I don't have a box in my living room and I have all of that (connected to my 65 inch OLED and a 7.1.2 dolby atmos sound system)? I also don't have to get off the sofa to operate any of it.

Like I said, flexibility. If it's not for you it's not for you, I'm not trying to convince you, just make you aware the option to create a "console" experience from a PC exists.
Yeah I'm aware, I've thought about it. Do you run wires through your walls?

I've actually thought of getting a PC since I kinda want to do some CUDA programming (primarily a Mac guy when it comes to what tools I use for my work), but ... just haven't gotten to that point yet. Used to build all my own PCs back in the day. I suppose this could be moved to a DM, this feels off topic haha.

Ahhh I remember the days of shopping for cool cases. :pie_thinking: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good times.

Top Bottom