• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series S-style consoles ‘have not had great results’, says PlayStation boss

CAB_Life

you must think Phil Spencer is incredibly arrogant then, as he has made several times more comments about PS than the other way around

I believe that all corporate mouthpieces are just that—corporate mouthpieces. You couldn’t and shouldn’t believe a word they say nor elevate them to sainthood. The corporate fellatio that the most zealous of our posters engage in for people who wouldn’t stop in the street to spit on them is absurd and alarming.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Weird reply considering that Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, which was the weakest console of that generation and sold significantly more than the GC and Xbox

Also,
s-l500.jpg

Weakest of it's generation, outsold it's competition.

Also,
bundle_color_console%20(3).jpg

May not outsell the PS4, but nearing 70 million units is far from a failure.
Gamecube was stronger due to coming out later but was significantly underpowered compared to Xbox releasing at the same time. It was also far cheaper. And ended up selling less than Xbox

Wii and Switch sold well because of the innovative value, not for being fast and cheap

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Do me a favor, you love to translate the Japanese translation, can you see if it was worded correctly as well? I'm curious.

It's obviously google translated (don't expect much more by this particular site), but that particular quote is correct besides the "special" which I don't know where they read.

The correct translation would be "I can say one thing, introducing a low-spec console [aiming] for a specific price range, considering the history of the industry, has not produced positive results."

Last edited:

yurqqa

By the way, Gamecube is the prime example that cheaper console even with better technical specs could lose because it has less games to play.

P.S. Don't get me wrong - Gamecube has some great games, but its library is just incomparable with PS2 library.

Last edited:
If you ppl don't see the difference in making a mid gen console update (or releasing a console like the Wii) than releasing two different consoles at the same time one with lower specs than the other... I don't know what to think.

The thing is that Jim doesn't understand that MS isn't or doesn't want to be in the console wars anymore... they are in the gamepass subscription war... and don't care if you play on an xbox, pc, or an smartphone via xcloud.

No if you read the article it sounds like he understands that just fine. He's just explaining why THEY didn't do it.

Kinda chicken-and-egg situation considering they've seemingly kept DE numbers insanely small of their own volition 🤷‍♂️

Let's wait and see on this one. As far as I can recall, there has never been a console launch with two different spec SKUs. Not sure what past example he is talking about .

Maybe PS3 and 360? Technically speaking, you could say having a HDD vs. not having a HDD would be considered different spec'd SKUs.

I'm guessing he's referring to that, though it might be considered a stretch.

Last edited:

Three

Why did you stick a picture of the Wii in there?

It wasn't a "reduced" spec console, it was the only console Nintendo put out at the time. They're completely different things and that's obviously not what he's talking about considering the Wii was a smash hit.
Because he wishes the Series S does Wii numbers and he can start caring about console sales again.

Sethbacca

Xbox 360 Arcade was a difference in HDD size, and Xbox One S Digital came out later, but had no disc drive.

If he's using that as his base argument, PS5 has a all-digital system too, and on launch day.

Fair point, I'm just saying there have been some down specced systems. I'm imagining these are likely what they're attempting to reference.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Let's wait and see on this one. As far as I can recall, there has never been a console launch with two different spec SKUs. Not sure what past example he is talking about .

THIS ^^^

Also, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X were HIGHER SPECIFICATIONS consoles, NOT LOWER so in this scenario, the HIGHER SPEC console FAILED.

Again, like the last few days, Jim "dance moves" Ryan is all over the fucking place. He's giving Mattrick a run for his money. LMAO.

He could be referring to the Xbox 360 Core version (the one with no hard drive), or the 20 gig PS3 (as opposed to the 60 gig one).

And I mean, did anyone WANT to own the 360 without a hard drive? It felt like the only people that owned that version were ones who had to choose between it and not buying a 360 because the other one wasn't available.

But, both of those situations are more similar to what the PS5 is doing now so, idk.
I bought a 360 arcade edition, and a cheap Chinese knockoff HD back in the day for about $50 less than a 'proper' 360. Still works fine to this day.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because he wishes the Series S does Wii numbers and he can start caring about console sales again.

What? Why would Jim Ryan want the Series S alone to sell over 100 million units?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fair point, I'm just saying there have been some down specced systems. I'm imagining these are likely what they're attempting to reference.
Maybe that is his reference point.

PS3 also had a 20gb launch system too. If it's lousy results, then why do a PS5 digital only system at launch?

(I'm not asking you to answer in particular. Just a rhetorical question)

Last edited:

sainraja

Of course he thinks so. They sure got spooked and did a 180 on the "generations" thing when Series S went after the PS4 Pro price point.

They are just doing what they have always done. To see that, you only have to look what happened from PS2 to 3 and PS3 to 4. I think even PS1 to PS2.....they manufactured each console for years.

Last edited:

Three

What? Why would Jim Ryan want the Series S alone to sell over 100 million units?
I mean the OP. He wishes.

People talking about precedent. You don't need two exact same consoles releasing at the same time to know what the market wants because you are clearly making the same choice when releasing one console. What power and price to try and hit. Whether he is right or wrong will be shown in time. I hope he is but fear he isn't.

People who think the Wii sold because it was purely a cheap console that did what other consoles do though are missing the point of Wii entirely.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: AV

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
When was there ever an S style console before (bozos bringing up completely different things, like the Wii, need not try to answer, I mean same-company, same-games-platform, just cheaper and lesser in ways, failing against its more-expensive-but-better counterpart from the same company)?

And how do people get a company's rep trashing the other company (with some pretty low hanging fruit at that, I mean, it's like he thinks S will not do so well, as if that matters if the other SKU does well anyway, and he doesn't have anything against that one, lol?) is some kind of objective truth?

Last edited:

Three

This is my thought also. That's where there are so few in the retail channels. It's a token offer to meet a marketing checkpoint.
Is there fewer digital versions in channels. What is that based on? If it's the ability to get one I think it might because they are selling out faster than the disc version. Also the reason they released a digital version is obvious. You can't sell your digital games. Same reason why the series S is digital only.

Sethbacca

Is there fewer digital versions in channels. What is that based on? If it's the ability to get one I think it might because they are selling out faster than the disc version. Also the reason they released a digital version is obvious. You can't sell your digital games. Same reason why the series S is digital only.

There have been a couple threads about at this point I think but I'm thinking of the CAG one indicating that DE only makes up a couple percent of the totals.

That said it could be complete bullshit and I'm basing my opinion on false Info from CAG so who knows.

chonga

His words

The point of referencing the Wii, Playstation 2, Playstation 1 and Switch was that he is objectively wrong. Weaker consoles have been successful
You are skipping over the word special.

This is why people are saying you are failing at comprehension.

He refers to someone creating a special version of something that is cut-down compared to the main show. He is not comparing to the Wii, the PS2 and certainly not the Switch.

MaulerX

Wii isn't a Series S style console. If you're a prospective Xbox buyer you're going to get an Xbox no matter what. Which Xbox are you going to get? Jim is implying out of the choice of the two they will not readily flock to the lower spec'd one so it's a futile effort. There was ONE Wii to choose from, there weren't two different SKUs.

On the other hand his strategy was to give people the same spec but a lower price point on one as we know.

We all really know that power doesn't matter, the games do, but you've misinterpreted what he's saying here.

There has NEVER been a lower speced lower priced alternative in the history of console launches in this business to compare it to. So basically he's a moron that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

i think everyone knows that he is referring to the cheap ass Xbox360 versions that were out there and the Xbox One Series S as well, those consoles did nothing for MS. All those are no longer produced even their high end XoX, if people were interested in MS games and getting the "better" 3rd party game versions, those machines would have sold gazillions.

Last edited:

MaulerX

He refers to someone creating a special version of something that is cut-down compared to the main show. He is not comparing to the Wii, the PS2 and certainly not the Switch.

He said in the history of the gaming business. How about people comprehend that he's full of shit because this has NEVER been done before?

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

i think everyone knows that he is referring to the cheap ass Xbox360 versions that were out there and the Xbox One Series S as well, those consoles did nothing for MS. All those are no longer produced even their high end XoX, if people were interested in MS games and getting the "better" 3rd party game versions, those machines would have sold gazillions.
The series X/S model Microsoft are going with has never been attempted before, if he is comparing say 360 arcade to Series S then that is worse cause you would think that the president of Sony Interactive entertainment would know the HUGE differences!

Either way he comes off as a clod, not even the first time this week, is that a record or do Crazy Ken and Mattrick still have him beat on bone headed statements?

Playstation 2 and Wii beg to differ.

Also what abut the Ps4 that was a weaker Ps4 Pro? Also not a great result?
Or was that different because the Ps4 was first and the Ps5 as a faster model just released later?
In that case the Ps5 was a bad strategy.

If Series S in combination with Series X is a bad strategy, Ps4 in combination with Ps4 Pro was a bad strategy.
If Ps4 in combination with a Ps4 Pro was a good strategy, Series S in combination with Series X is a good strategy.
You can't have it both ways.

MaulerX

Those were revisions. Not Series S style consoles. Jim is full of it because there is no history for this.

LarknThe4th

Playstation 2 and Wii beg to differ.

Also what abut the Ps4 that was a weaker Ps4 Pro? Also not a great result?
Or was that different because the Ps4 was first and the Ps5 as a faster model just released later?
In that case the Ps5 was a bad strategy.

If Series S in combination with Series X is a bad strategy, Ps4 in combination with Ps4 Pro was a bad strategy.
If Ps4 in combination with a Ps4 Pro was a good strategy, Series S in combination with Series X is a good strategy.
You can't have it both ways.
Also Nes won over over Master System, Gameboy over the game gear, the playstation over the N64

tkscz

Gamecube was stronger due to coming out later but was significantly underpowered compared to Xbox releasing at the same time. It was also far cheaper. And ended up selling less than Xbox

Wii and Switch sold well because of the innovative value, not for being fast and cheap

Yet both were still beat by a console much weaker and only released a year earlier. My point being that
You are skipping over the word special.

This is why people are saying you are failing at comprehension.

How many cheaper lower spec special edition of consoles even exist for that to be a claim? I legit can't think of any point in time where a console maker released a powerful version and weaker version of a console at the same time. I wouldn't really count something like the Xbox 360 that didn't come with a harddrive or the PS3 with less harddrive space, same consoles and there were ways to fix that. Wouldn't count the GBA micro, not really weaker, or the third rendition of the Sega Genesis that didn't support the 32X or CD. On that note, wouldn't count the 32X or CD as those are add-ons.

I saw the word special, but because I can't think of a time where that happened in the same way it's happening with the Series S and X, I chose to ignore it, otherwise he'd be referring to something that didn't exist.

mejin

The only difference between Jim and Spencer is Cerny. Jim is fortunate to have Cerny. He probably punched Jimbo in the face when he came talking about a poor PS5 version.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Wii is not the case, but the base consoles are the closest thing to a "Series S style" and they still do fine. This comment is just to fire something at Microsoft. He failed

Matsuchezz

The series X/S model Microsoft are going with has never been attempted before, if he is comparing say 360 arcade to Series S then that is worse cause you would think that the president of Sony Interactive entertainment would know the HUGE differences!

Either way he comes off as a clod, not even the first time this week, is that a record or do Crazy Ken and Mattrick still have him beat on bone headed statements?
True it has not been attempted before and we will know the outcome of this a few years down the road.
He is a suit he probably does not know that in such detail as someone like mark Cerny.
I am not defending Jim Ryan, but low spec hw is not my cup of tea and I know people that even if they only play soccer games and a few games here and there they always go for the best hw on consoles. Even children nowadays are very tech savvy they will know the difference between an underpowered console such as series s and a powerful one such as XSX OR PS5. And THEY will ask SANTA for xsx or Ps5. I am not trying to predict what will happen. I just do not see value on xss Even if the thing was 200 US dollars. Its like low end phones that are trying to be smart, the experience is lackluster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom