• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series S-style consoles ‘have not had great results’, says PlayStation boss

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
J.Ryan explained in an interview with the Japanese website AV Watch, Sony analyzed the situation and rejected the idea, considering such a move unsuccessful.

Please delete this thread if my GAF-search-fu has failed me.
The problem here is Jim Ryan.

I see a lot of problems with this ps5 and the arrogancy of Sony

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
PKvzeCx.jpg

TLZ

Banned
I think what he's talking about is the Xbox SAD. A weak, digital only version that's been done before and didn't work.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I find it funny the Xbox troll got over being upset and flipping off his Xbox shrine to be active in threads defending the XSS as a concept... despite trying to convince the world it did not exist: it is a good holiday from creating threads trolling PS fans I guess ;).

I disagree with Ryan about the XSS as a concept being tried before. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were released late in the game and were a minor enthusiast only e-peen exercise.

Now the answer would be about this strategy holding the high end console back, but he cannot say that because of the backlash from all the cross generation games their first parties are making or because he is being dumb or both.

Single specs for 5-6+ years and developers making exclusive games for them is why consoles exist as a PC alternative.

Last edited:
You guys are completely making up what he actually said. He never said consoles like PS4 sold less than the PRO or X1 sold less than X1X. Neither of those consoles were "budget" versions from their inception. They became "budget" once an upgraded one, more powerful one came out years later but they were never considered lower level option console.

What he is talking about is like the gimped all digital X1 console, Nintendo Wii mini, Nintendo 2DS etc. None of those made any considerable sales nor are even talked about anymore so he is right. Hell, even the Switch Lite isnt a budget option because all its missing is joycons and TV access but its still same hardware.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You guys are completely making up what he actually said. He never said consoles like PS4 sold less than the PRO or X1 sold less than X1X. Neither of those consoles were "budget" versions from their inception. They became "budget" once an upgraded one, more powerful one came out years later but they were never considered lower level option console.

What he is talking about is like the gimped all digital X1 console, Nintendo Wii mini, Nintendo 2DS etc. None of those made any considerable sales nor are even talked about anymore so he is right. Hell, even the Switch Lite isnt a budget option because all its missing is joycons and TV access but its still same hardware.
But that doesn’t make sense because none of those were available on day 1. They were all mid-late gen refreshes that were no less powerful than the originals.

Top Bottom