• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus |OT| Summer Life in Your Hometown

L.O.R.D

Golden week sale on NA PSN and no esteval versus sale.
but i won't lose hope,it's gonna be on sale,hopefully in the next two month.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bon Appétit 's finally on sale? I'll have to see how much, might get it if that & the DLC's cheap enough

How does the DLC for Bon Apetite work, are there bundles like with EV? I looked this morning (web version of PSN Store) and only saw individual stuff, no catch-all thing, which I guess is only slightly annoying. But if there's a $15 bundle that's cheaper then buying it all separately then I'd obviously wanna snag that.

The two Vita Senran games for with the PSTV, right? I thought I remember hearing SK:BA didn't but it got updated/fixed?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty sure it works on PS TV?

Sadly, no, I don't think the there's a bundle, it's the main game, then the add-on that gives you the 10 other characters

How does the DLC for Bon Apetite work, are there bundles like with EV? I looked this morning (web version of PSN Store) and only saw individual stuff, no catch-all thing, which I guess is only slightly annoying. But if there's a $15 bundle that's cheaper then buying it all separately then I'd obviously wanna snag that.

The two Vita Senran games for with the PSTV, right? I thought I remember hearing SK:BA didn't but it got updated/fixed?

Bon Appetit works on the PSTV. At least in NA, as that's how I played it before I got the Vita.

I don't know anything about pricing re:costume DLC but I've heard that it's all compatible with SV as well as the SV DLC being able to be used in BA.

The Gessen x Hebijo character pack is $15. It includes new songs for each of those 10 girls + a story mode for each of them. If you're gonna go for the Platinum the DLC is highly recommended so you have more variety as you grind out songs.

Then Rin and Daidoji can be bought together for $6 (Rin can only be used if you have the Gessen x Hebijo pack though) and they are also compatible with SV so if you have them from that game you already have them in BA.

So the game is on sale for $8 but if you want all the characters it's gonna be $29 total, and that's during this sale.

Pretty sure it works on PS TV?

Sadly, no, I don't think the there's a bundle, it's the main game, then the add-on that gives you the 10 other characters

Bon Appetit works on the PSTV. At least in NA, as that's how I played it before I got the Vita.

I don't know anything about pricing re:costume DLC but I've heard that it's all compatible with SV as well as the SV DLC being able to be used in BA.

The Gessen x Hebijo character pack is $15. It includes new songs for each of those 10 girls + a story mode for each of them. If you're gonna go for the Platinum the DLC is highly recommended so you have more variety as you grind out songs.

Then Rin and Daidoji can be bought together for $6 (Rin can only be used if you have the Gessen x Hebijo pack though) and they are also compatible with SV so if you have them from that game you already have them in BA.

So the game is on sale for $8 but if you want all the characters it's gonna be $29 total, and that's during this sale.

Ah thank you both!

Good to know. I'll buy SK:BA while it's on sale and then once I get a PSTV I'll get the DLC to go with it (unless it happens to go on sale before then, but it doesn't sound like it will).

Now I gotta keep an eye out for the cheapest PSTV I can find eheheheheh.

For Senran Kagura Estival Versus, does the right analogue stick hold much importance? Thinking about buying this even though it isn't on sale, but mine is kinda broken, though I might be able to fix it with some cleaning hopefully.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Basically the camera, but I think you can reposition it to be behind you via one of the shoulder buttons, I think?

Demoskinos

How's Bon Appetit anyway, I'm considering picking it up to get a decent rhythm game on my Vita?

Come to it for the Senrans. The stories are pretty goofy and entertaining but the actual gameplay is passable but nothing to write home about especially when you have really great rhythm games on Vita like the Project Diva games and Persona Dancing All Night.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Is EV worth getting for the Vita, or should I wait until I (perhaps) buy a PS4? It's getting ok reviews, but when I watch comparison videos the Vita version do look bad with horrible frame rate.

Is it this bad all the way through, or actually playable even if you really hate bad fps? I'm on the fence here, especially now when the sale is on.

Is EV worth getting for the Vita, or should I wait until I (perhaps) buy a PS4? It's getting ok reviews, but when I watch comparison videos the Vita version do look bad with horrible frame rate.

Is it this bad all the way through, or actually playable even if you really hate bad fps? I'm on the fence here, especially now when the sale is on.

I'm having a good time with the game on Vita/PSTV, worth some of the sacrifices to have the game on the go, although trying to parry is difficult to do on the Vita.

Was thinking about grabbing this for PS4 since I liked the 3DS releases.

Is there a difference between the base game and the recently released Sakura version? Wanna know if the Sakura one is just beach stuff or is it the original game too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty sure Sakura Edition just has the bonus swimsuits which SHOULD be hitting PSN eventually for sale.

Just remember this is more of a 3D-style brawler (maybe think similar to Dynasty Warriors, but boss characters are much harder), not a 2D beat-'em-up.

Pretty sure Sakura Edition just has the bonus swimsuits which SHOULD be hitting PSN eventually for sale.

Just remember this is more of a 3D-style brawler (maybe think similar to Dynasty Warriors, but boss characters are much harder), not a 2D beat-'em-up.

Thanks for clarifying. And I enjoy both styles of gameplay so looking forward to it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
HYPER BOOTY SENRAN RYOBI

Finished Day 6 & got the main 20 characters' story missions taken care of. I also finally did one of the special missions, that virus one, it was basically "HEY REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED IN THE OVA, YOU SHOULD BUY IT, HERE'S A TRAILER WITH A BIG ONLY AVAILABLE IN JAPAN DISCLAIMER ON IT!!!"

Dunno how common a glitch this is, but I got hit by a super 2 and got knocked through a wall into a blocked off area lol. Attacks apparently go through those walls, so I could of sitll beat the mission, but woulda took forever
Ikkh9WE.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Dunno how common a glitch this is, but I got hit by a super 2 and got knocked through a wall into a blocked off area lol. Attacks apparently go through those walls, so I could of sitll beat the mission, but woulda took forever

Had this happen before in the Japanese version once or twice. Sucks that they never fixed it.

That reminds me, I love that in some stages it's possible to go to the other side of a barrier by taking a detour. If you do it fast enough, the CPUs will stay on the side you were before and they'll keep trying to get to you through the wall, which they can't. It's silly, but looks pretty funny.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished the game over the weekend & did Jasmine's story missions, which was kind of nice to hear about her & Hanzo's relationship.

For the "Your OCD is Showing", I don't need to complete the lottery, do I? I'm about 23 short of getting them all, & I THINK I just need to complete the last 3 Heart Missions to unlock the final stuff to buy, then I'll have the platinum. Had no idea there was a few situation finishes where you had to lose in certain areas where there's no bosses.

During the loading screens it said something about being able to see which girl you've used for how long, and that if your favorite girl is the #1 spot something special happens? How do you set your favorite girl?

Edit: holy shit this game just made me cry what the fuck

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think it said something like that in Burst, but I never recall ever figuring it out.

& yay, finally got the platinum. Nice to see Daidouji & Rin having silly stories. Just glad the lottery didn't count towards getting all the shop items.

I'm kinda interested in this game (just waiting for it to go on sale), but I have a few questions about it.

I see the game has a few interesting Multiplayer modes that are listed in the OP. Unfortunately, I have a very very very shitty internet connection so playing online is out of question. Is there any way to play those modes offline or am I out of luck?

Also, I recently played Onechanbara Z II Chaos and really loved the gameplay in that game. Is this game comparable to that? If so, how does it fare?

And lastly, how long is the game and how much replay value does it have? For reference, I played the hell out of Onechanbara and actually Platinumed it and I thought it had great replay values.

Honestly, I don't expect to get any answers since the game seems to be really niche (like Onechanbara) and it looks like everyone has already moved on from it, but I just said I give it a shot and ask the questions here.

I'm kinda interested in this game (just waiting for it to go on sale), but I have a few questions about it.

I see the game has a few interesting Multiplayer modes that are listed in the OP. Unfortunately, I have a very very very shitty internet connection so playing online is out of question. Is there any way to play those modes offline or am I out of luck?

You can play them offline. You just need to make a private match and make all players CPUs

Also, I recently played Onechanbara Z II Chaos and really loved the gameplay in that game. Is this game comparable to that? If so, how does it fare?

I never played any of the Onechanbara games, but I did recommended Senran Kagura to another guy that likes those games, and he really enjoyed SK. Take that for what it's worth.

And lastly, how long is the game and how much replay value does it have? For reference, I played the hell out of Onechanbara and actually Platinumed it and I thought it had great replay values.

Like I said, never played Onechanbara so I don't know how to compare. But this game has tons of unlockables (Costumes, accessories, characters. Mostly costumes and accessories though), and a whole level up system for every character that will increase their move list as they level. Main story will have about 15 hours to beat, but every character (Which there are 25 of, more with dlc) has their own hilarious mini story mode with each lasting at least half an hour. Also you can replay any of the missions with any character you want. It's a lot of content if you ask me

Also customization in this game is absolutely insane. Tons of costumes, hairstyles, accesssories.

Honestly, I don't expect to get any answers since the game seems to be really niche (like Onechanbara) and it looks like everyone has already moved on from it, but I just said I give it a shot and ask the questions here.

Too late :)

You can play them offline. You just need to make a private match and make all players CPUs

I never played any of the Onechanbara games, but I did recommended Senran Kagura to another guy that likes those games, and he really enjoyed SK. Take that for what it's worth.

Like I said, never played Onechanbara so I don't know how to compare. But this game has tons of unlockables (Costumes, accessories, characters. Mostly costumes and accessories though), and a whole level up system for every character that will increase their move list as they level. Main story will have about 15 hours to beat, but every character (Which there are 25 of, more with dlc) has their own hilarious mini story mode with each lasting at least half an hour. Also you can replay any of the missions with any character you want. It's a lot of content if you ask me

Also customization in this game is absolutely insane. Tons of costumes, hairstyles, accesssories.

Too late :)

Thank you for the quick and detailed answers, tintin1029. I honestly didn't expect anyone to answer me, so I really appreciate it :)

And I can't tell you how happy I am to hear all of these. Unlockable costumes and accessories are one of the main reasons that keep me engage with these kind of games so yeah, that definitely counts as the kind of contents that I'm looking for. And the fact that you can play everything offline is a huge bonus.

Also, the actual story mode seems to be A LOT meatier than Onechanbara. That game was around 4 hours, I think? Though, it had different difficulties and mission mode so it had great replay value. But considering everything that is listed in the OP, the big roster, the mini-story mode and everything else that you just mentioned, it seems like this game will be even more packed with the contents than I initially thought :)

Now, I'm definitely gonna pick this one up if it gets some good deal on PSN.

Again, thank you very much for the reply.

Thank you for the quick and detailed answers, tintin1029. I honestly didn't expect anyone to answer me, so I really appreciate it :)

And I can't tell you how happy I am to hear all of these. Unlockable costumes and accessories are one of the main reasons that keep me engage with these kind of games so yeah, that definitely counts as the kind of contents that I'm looking for. And the fact that you can play everything offline is a huge bonus.

Also, the actual story mode seems to be A LOT meatier than Onechanbara. That game was around 4 hours, I think? Though, it had different difficulties and mission mode so it had great replay value. But considering everything that is listed in the OP, the big roster, the mini-story mode and everything else that you just mentioned, it seems like this game will even be more content packed than I thought :)

Now, I'm definitely gonna pick this one up if it gets some good deal on PSN.

Again, thank you very much for the reply.

No problem :)

Despite being from the same developer, Onechanbara gameplay is noticeably more complex and deep than Estival's

In Onechanbara the timing of your inputs and the rythm of it played a significative role on the combat where in Estival is just a basic dial-a-combo system with little flexibility to mixup your attacks.

Not a lot of replay value to be frank. Estival's SP offering is pretty miserable with only the main story, some sort of "arcade mode" for each girl comprised of five stages bookended by small cutscenes plus a few extra missions (extremely short to boot) available as DLC. Paired to this, all the stages follow the same basic structure: advance through the level, beat a pack of mooks and repeat until reaching the boss.

The characters are also poorly balanced, with some utterly crushing the game and others being downright unfun to play as.

There is no training mode, challege mode or survival mode, there are no collectibles aside of the different underwear, accesories and clothing unlockable in the in-game store

Also, this game is incredibly easy to platinum. You can do it in one afternoon.

ShinMaruku

As somebody who plays both I can say Oneechanbara Z II Chaos is closer to DMC than this game is, this is more simple just due to the huge amount of systems layered into oneechanbara, as for replayablity it depend on how you like the characters and like how the story is.

That said if the series gets the upgrade and love that marvelous gaves oneechanbara this series can only go up.

Thank you guys for more impressions. So, it seems that the gameplay is much simpler than Onechanbara which is a bummer cause I really loved what Teamsoft did with that title. But still, from your descriptions the complexity of the game seems to be on-par with Musou series, particularly Pirate Warriors 3, right? If so, then I think I'll be able to enjoy it.

I hope the next game gets the Onehanbara treatment in gameplay department, even though, I think the big roster makes it more difficult.

Thank you guys for more impressions. So, it seems that the gameplay is much simpler than Onechanbara which is a bummer cause I really loved what Teamsoft did with that title. But still, from your descriptions the complexity of the game seems to be on-par with Musou series, particularly Pirate Warriors 3, right? If so, then I think I'll be able to enjoy it.

I hope the next game gets the Onehanbara treatment in gameplay department, even though, I think the big roster makes it more difficult.

Yes that is absolutely what they are.

Basketball

So I finished the main game (pretty fun game btw)

I went into the dress up mode .. never really customized the characters etc

looked up the controls .. found out about grope hands and such . There is a option to tear the characters clothes off with the hands out. What you do is hold the controller vertically and shake. I was like huh ??? I held the controller like so and shook the shit out of it. then
15 seconds later It hit me. The vertical hand movements

Biggest laugh I had in ages ..bravo game

xRaizen

So I finished the main game (pretty fun game btw)

I went into the dress up mode .. never really customized the characters etc

looked up the controls .. found out about grope hands and such . There is a option to tear the characters clothes off with the hands out. What you do is hold the controller vertically and shake. I was like huh ??? I held the controller like so and shook the shit out of it. then
15 seconds later It hit me. The vertical hand movements

Biggest laugh I had in ages ..bravo game

I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes when I did it on launch.

Nyoro SF

Recently finished this game (other games got in the way, real life, yadda yadda).

Having finished the SP and playing a few multiplayer matches, I really feel like this game dropped the ball in everything but asset quality.

The fighting system is a huge step down from Shinovi in terms of balance. Some characters are terribly weak, while others are ridiculously strong. The new reversal system is awful, and the changed parry system is very much for the worse. The reduced hitstun in higher difficulties with the new combat system makes these difficulties not fun to play; with both mobs and bosses.

The hitboxes are also much worse from Shinovi. While a lot more individuality was added to attacks, I've never seen so many characters fall out of series, launchers, and super moves. Tamsoft really needs to work on their "capture state" for attacks. Jasmine, who is supposed to be a terrifying ninja, has one of the worst transformed launchers in the game (same as Yagyu's).

The limitations of the Vita also apply themselves to the PS4 in annoying ways; the biggest probably being the Dressing Room. You can't preview choices with live scrolling, you have to confirm every choice to preview it (Vita memory limitation). Also you are forced to only work with 5 characters at a time and swap them out manually (annoying chore). This problem rears itself in ways all over the game. I know building two of the same SKU saves time and money, but some time should be spent to take advantage of the PS4's firepower.

And last but not least... selling completely broken DLC that makes multiplayer pointless. Naraku is the best character in the game, with an invincible all-hitting dash that breaks guards. May I ask why Marvelous would like to screw over anyone who would like to enjoy their online modes by releasing completely broken characters as DLC not once, but twice in a row?

If this trend continues and the combat and UI isn't refined and broken DLC keeps being offered, I'm not likely to come back to any future parts of this series.

Pretty accurate review about the strenght and weakness of the game. Tamsoft really needs to up their game otherwise the series will truly be just a shallow fanservice series for the bulk.

I hope Valkyrie Drive gets localized since I'd love to hear your thoughts about its gameplay. Other than being incredibly easy, I found it to be pretty superior to EV in pretty much every way.

Nyoro SF

Pretty accurate review about the strenght and weakness of the game. Tamsoft really needs to up their game otherwise the series will truly be just a shallow fanservice series for the bulk.

I hope Valkyrie Drive gets localized since I'd love to hear your thoughts about its gameplay. Other than being incredibly easy, I found it to be pretty superior to EV in pretty much every way.

Good to hear about VD.
I decided to post after I bought SV and replayed it on PC, then went back to Estival. SV might be much crazier combat wise, but everything was much tighter in terms of controls and timing. There's balance problems in SV too, but it's balanced more in a "every character in the top 50% has something completely crazy" sort of balance (cue Frantic Katsuragi's leg spins or everything about Hikage's second ninja art).

EV just has a lot more frustration behind it. And while SV had broken DLC too, at least they patched these characters to balance them back to normal; I don't see that coming for EV since every patch seemed to try to fix bugs only... and there's STILL that bug where the hair colors restore themselves to default after you quit the game!

Well either way, they're going to have to evolve the series somehow if they want the next game to do better.

Yeah, in Versus is clear the characters were properly balanced so no one were left useless in sp with the domination of certain characters in mp coming more from they having skills that would easily take advantage of the game system. It was more like the core gameplay was flawed in that sense.

With EV it seems they focused more in the mp, leading to a lot of characters being pretty much worthless in sp (and in some cases, even in mp) The DLC characters are also poorly designed and for the most part they have a notorious advantage over the base charactes. EV also suffers from being the buggiest release in the series but since it sold like hot cakes it seems unlikely they will change the direction for the next game.

A shame since there was lot more effort put in SK2 and they introduced a lot of really interesting mechanics that with some polish could be just what the series needs.

NoKisum

Made it to Day 7, and I'm just getting my ass handed to me by these
mechs
(still don't understand why they're in the game).

What's the best way to level people up? Most of my girls are kind of low level due to imbalance of usage between stages.

Ultimadrago

Made it to Day 7, and I'm just getting my ass handed to me by these
mechs
(still don't understand why they're in the game).

What's the best way to level people up? Most of my girls are kind of low level due to imbalance of usage between stages.

Hmm, any level that gives you a lot of enemies in bulk, I suppose. I actually used Day 1/Stage 1 for quite some time before using Day 8 Stage 6.

Top Bottom