• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Estival Versus is coming to PC complete with Ikki Tousen DLC

I don't mean to be dismissive, but are these games even any good? I picked up the first game on 3DS and found it to be kind of a clunky, unfun mess that seemed to basically exist as a vessel for anime-inspired boners. One of my few eshop purchases I regret.

I'd love to hear these games have gotten much better, because I'm always down for some dumb cheesecakey fun, but not if it isn't actually a solid game.

Atilac

Shallow clunky game with anime tits is still a shallow and clunky game. I feel bad for people who find enjoyment in this type of game. A small step above onichumbara.

Tohsaka

I don't mean to be dismissive, but are these games even any good? I picked up the first game on 3DS and found it to be kind of a clunky, unfun mess that seemed to basically exist as a vessel for anime-inspired boners. One of my few eshop purchases I regret.

I'd love to hear these games have gotten much better, because I'm always down for some dumb cheesecakey fun, but not if it isn't actually a solid game.

I personally like the Versus games much more than the 3DS ones, there are people who have the opposite opinion though.

The mod support for Shinovi Versus PC wasn't that good, the only notable mod was an uncensored mode. Honestly wanted a button prompt mod for Dualshock 4 and Wii U Pro controller users.

I had planned on remaking some of the textures from SV when that came to PC but never got around to it, now that I have some more free time I'll definitely do it for EV. Someone else will obviously do the uncensor mod and that kind of stuff but what I'm interested in fixing are the low res textures that are used throughout the game.

I used this picture last time I spoke about it to show what I mean -

DTsDShw.jpg

Look at the difference in quality between the flower on her head and the flower on her arm, that's the kind of stuff that I wanna fix up to achieve better parity.

I also hadn't considered doing a button prompt mod, but it should be the same process as other textures so I'll look into doing that for you :)

MrPanic

Oh nice. I like the SK series, but Shinovi Versus really was a mediocre game. This one seems a lot more fun, good to see it come to pc.

Yarbskoo

I'm okay with this.

I look forward to mods.

Shallow clunky game with anime tits is still a shallow and clunky game. I feel bad for people who find enjoyment in this type of game. A small step above onichumbara.

Yes, I too have much pity for people who like things I don't like. How horrible it must be to enjoy something that I don't approve of.

DKL

Game is like... semi ok. I like the system better than what was on the 3DS ones (2 was kinda lame for me because of how the lock on worked and it made stuff seem slow, but I didn't dive too deeply).

Like, the system for the Versus games is semi interesting and all the characters had fun gimmicks (which is impressive considering the amount of characters), but the overall game suffers because none of the encounters are designed and stuff merely exists for you to beat it up. Not sure why Tamsoft has not improved in this area at all despite having done a whole bunch of games.

That said, I'm not even gonna lie: I'm super excited for PC EV because I felt like the fan service was the best in the series (aside from maybe the cake stuff from the stupid cooking game that sucked) and I'm looking forward to trashy mod support.

you're not wrong. It could be worse though. atleast they dont appear to be lolis

A whole lot better than you'd expect, but still not actually good.

While every subsequent SK game has been a vast improvement over the trash fire that was the first game, they are still lacking. If you need to play an anime titty game, this is one of the best ones of those, but anyone who tells you their here for the mechanics rather than the aesthetics is a dirty fucking liar

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

this is probably one of the best games that came out last year

Busty

Banned
..., along with a story that’s equal parts sexy and shocking, serious and scandalous, busty and bouncy.

I can confirm that I am serious and scandalous.

I can confirm that I am busty.

I am not however bouncy.

That is all.

MUnited83

For you.
Onechanbara Z2 is great though. And I mean that even if it didn't have any fanservice whatsoever, the combat system is great.

The 3ds games was super meh. Shinovi versus us quite fun though, and I assume Estival improves on the formula.

L.O.R.D

the first game is meh,not even fun.
SK2 is the best in the series story and gameplay wise.
that DLC tho.

myco666

Onechanbara Z2 is great though. And I mean that even if it didn't have any fanservice whatsoever, the combat system is great.

Yep. Onechanbara Z2 is legit fun game. Sure it is a bit clunky and the low budget really shows but I still had ton of fun slaughtering zombies.

Goes in the same slot as Dynasty Warriors for me, especially on the "normal" difficulties. Just mindless fun guilty pleasure mashing and big super moves. This one just has destructable clothing.

DKL

Goes in the same slot as Dynasty Warriors for me, especially on the "normal" difficulties. Just mindless fun guilty pleasure mashing and big super moves. This one just has destructable clothing.

Honestly, it's still pretty mashy on the hardest difficulties lol

I remember the meta for SK2 PvE being to just use the ground pound move or whatever over and over until you won.

Biography: Student, gamer, and anime purist

That explains it. Just fyi, most regular people won't care if you're watching Akira, Planetes or some dumb fanservice anime, they are all japanese cartoons to them.

But you do you and try to keep punching down, lmao.

Momentary

Banned

Combat seems pretty fluid to me. Doesn't look near as rigid and clunky as other mucous out there.

Momentary

Banned
Just noticed the 4K screenshots. The game also looks to support some sort of super sampling or bad ass Anti-aliasing option. Those pics are super crisp.

DKL

Combat seems pretty fluid to me. Doesn't look near as rigid and clunky as other mucous out there.

Movement and cancelling stuff feels really nice... it's just that it's not designed around compelling scenarios, which is an issue that seems to come up a lot in the developer's games.

Like, the bosses in Oneechanbara Z or whatever the PS4 one was were awful (or I at least remember them being all awful).

You have this just frame attack crap in place that seems kinda cool (there's even a training mode where you can practice on any enemy of your choosing and there's like a bar that tells you at which point you need to push buttons), but there doesn't seem to be a practical/compelling application to it and you're better off just launching and tagging in teammates for forever.

Like... I wish they would just sit down and think about how to utilize the interesting systems they have in place to make an actual good game as opposed to just having cool ideas that don't actually go anywhere and then padding the content out with anime tiddy (which I'm admittedly a fan of and I'll buy the games anyway even if they're kinda ass in the end... it's just that it would be nice to have a complete package for once).

(but then, I don't play their PvP stuff, so maybe that's where it's at?)

TL;DR, I look forward to that new Neptunia game they're doing since Nep is life.

Not really, imo. I found both Shinovi and Estival Versus to be super repetitive and boring as hell. And I say this as someone who actually generally likes musou games. The Versus games put all their weight into the combat system because the level design is so basic it's almost nonexistant, and even then said combat system is just passable at best.

Apparently no DLC included with the PC version this time.
Don't know about you but seeing a game has boatloads of DLC actually puts me off buying the game.

On the bright side, since the Miss Shinobi contest mode isn't in the PC port, all of those items you would get there (like Bebe-tan and Jasmine's Elephant) will be given to you for free. Nice that Marvelous isn't trying to shell out more money by making them separate purchasable DLC, let alone not including them at all

DKL

People already rolling out da decensor mods, my body and wallet is ready.

EDIT:

$50 in DLC...

Whelp, went in on all of it anyway :v

Top Bottom