• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Selena Gomez Files $10 Million Lawsuit Against Mobile Game for Stealing Her Likeness

Woopah

She has way more leverage with this claim now. They did all but confirm it by making Ellie an lesbian in 2.

This is honestly a poor argument. I don't care about Gomez at all, but the fact that someone ripps of your looks to make a cheap buck is something you should care about regardless of how wealthy you are.

Fully agree with the second part of your post but Ellie was revealed the be a lesbian before 2.

MiguelItUp

I feel like it'd make more sense if the photographer or the magazine sued. I mean, whoever owns the rights to the photograph, really. Selena suing just feels like an excuse for more money. "Hell, Lindsey did it! So can I!"

ruvikx

Banned
Yea its blatant.

It's blatant, but in no way is $10 million justified (literally a "WTF" greedy number). The original image also looks like a real professional photoshoot as well, so I assume the "rights" would belong to whomever did the shoot.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well, she has a case. That is clearly her. Good luck in a Chinese court though. Stealing and fabricating things even at an institutional level is considered normal there.

Poordevil

Thinking about this lawsuit some more, I wonder if Selena is involved in any of this personally at all. Isn't she under contract, more or less a commodity of agents and lawyers? They could be the ones going after the 10 million without her having a thing to say about it. We could imagine her stomping and screaming, throwing a fit about her likeness being ripped off, but that could be a twisted version, what the lawyers and agents what us to see. The reality could be completely different. Is it possible she was never even aware of this game until the lawyers drug it out in the open? Maybe she could care less personally, but her opinion is not a consideration. It is all business, lawyers and agents using her to get their mits on some cash.

Tripolygon

Banned
It's blatant, but in no way is $10 million justified (literally a "WTF" greedy number). The original image also looks like a real professional photoshoot as well, so I assume the "rights" would belong to whomever did the shoot.
You don't get to decide what someone's worth is. She is a very popular celebrity and ranks 3rd with 179 million followers on Instagram, 14th most followers on twitter with 60 million followers. She makes more money from a single sponsored post on Instagram than most people make in a lifetime.

Nickolaidas

id advise you to get your eyes examined by a licenced physician
What are you talking about? There are no similarities at all between the two pictures.

selena-gomez-magazine.jpg

The woman in the drawing is touching her head with her left hand. The woman in the photo (who looks nothing like the woman in the drawing) touches her head with the RIGHT. This immediately makes any further comparisons moot, but for the sake of argument, I'll continue.

The woman in the drawing has light brown hair. The woman in the photo has dark brown.

The woman in the drawing has …. things in the background behind her. The woman in the photo has this blue magical wall and she's surrounded by ancient, magical signs (letters, mayhaps?)

So stop spouting nonsense and come lick the ceiling with me!

Last edited:
What are you talking about? There are no similarities at all between the two pictures.

The woman in the drawing is touching her head with her left hand. The woman in the photo (who looks nothing like the woman in the drawing) touches her head with the RIGHT. This immediately makes any further comparisons moot, but for the sake of argument, I'll continue.

The woman in the drawing has light brown hair. The woman in the photo has dark brown.

The woman in the drawing has …. things in the background behind her. The woman in the photo has this blue magical wall and she's surrounded by ancient, magical signs (letters, mayhaps?)

Aside from the hair, pose and clothing they are not that similar. The face is distinct, the nose is smaller, she's thinner, the cheeks aren't as prominent. And likeness is all in the face. You have to ignore that one drawing is based off of the other, it is the face that has to have an uncanny resemblance for there to be a case.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Thats what the chinese people will say in court too. xD

Reactions: jts
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
The fact they are using her likeness to obtain money isnt something that should be punished?

Fucking rofl at the insane defence force here. I guess she's a woman so she must be in the wrong right? Oh she already has.millions I guess she doesnt need to worry about Chinese devs stealing her likeness to make profit off of 😂.

Emberassing posts here.
Why are you bringing gender into this?? If she wants this company to stop using her likeness then she can have her lawyers send a cease and desist letter. She sees this as a potential payday.

If money wasn't involved, would she even bother? I doubt it.

Fuck you for trying to paint me as a sexist. You brought gender into this, not me.

HarryKS

If it goes to mediation or in case of bargaining, you always give out a high number that you don't really expect to get.

MMaRsu

Banned
Why are you bringing gender into this?? If she wants this company to stop using her likeness then she can have her lawyers send a cease and desist letter. She sees this as a potential payday.

If money wasn't involved, would she even bother? I doubt it.

Fuck you for trying to paint me as a sexist. You brought gender into this, not me.

Im.not trying to paint you specifically a sexist, the hate against women is strong on this website amongst many users.

Id want momey too, does that make.me.a bad person?

Does it make her?

No. So f off.

Last edited:

Link1110

Is it bad I was honestly hoping this was against Arknights because I see the most YouTube ads for that one?

DESTROYA

If a company was making money from my likeness ( it’s 100% obvious ) I’d be pretty pissed too? I doubt she’ll get compensated but a cease and desist order I would consider a win.

Top Bottom