• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro IP not owned by Activision, copyright for the game remains at FROM Software post acquisition

splattered

Who tf cares? I bought the game as a "green rat"

Doesn't mean there won't be a sequel eventually, hitting on both systems, which would be best case scenario.

I personally don't care if any of the Activision franchises become exclusive or not, i still buy games and play them where i want.

Neff

That's very weird. The game can't have been cheap to make and I highly doubt FromSoftware paid for it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That's very weird. The game can't have been cheap to make and I highly doubt FromSoftware paid for it.
They did.
They also self published it in Japan.
They also own the IP.

You forget they are owned by Kadokawa....sure they cant really do western publishing but theyve got money and if they had a more serious presence gamingwise in the west they probably wouldnt even need Bandai Namco or Activision to bring their games to the west.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
NGL this takeover is causing a fuckload of toxic threads.

All i want is more diablo wow on consoles and starcraft

Tommi84

Doesn't mean there won't be a sequel eventually, hitting on both systems
You do realise what does it mean that IP is OWNED by From? If From Software is bought by Sony and their next games are exclusives to Playstation it won't hit two systems*

* -currently, it's the same likely scenario as yours ;)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
DelightfulDimpledChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

YukiOnna

This has been known for a while. Activision only helped with global publishing and FROM entirely own Sekiro.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Good news for many team blue fans of one of the best action games of the last decade, if not ever:

Unfortunately, those from team green who somehow haven't played it yet and were expecting it to drop on game pass anytime soon now may be in for a disappointment:
I mean, if you haven't bought Sekiro Day One I don't think there's anything we need to discuss. You are, in fact, beneath me.

tommib

They did.
They also self published it in Japan.
They also own the IP.

You forget they are owned by Kadokawa....sure they cant really do western publishing but theyve got money and if they had a more serious presence gamingwise in the west they probably wouldnt even need Bandai Namco or Activision to bring their games to the west.
Interesting. I always thought that Sekiro technically looked better than Souls games because of Activision money. So it’s all their own money. Game must’ve been very profitable.

Bartski

Gold Member
ok I didn't know FROM self-published Sekiro in Japan, mea culpa.

Also, publishing more often than not involves financing production, so those deals aren't as clear-cut in terms of IP ownership as some of you guys seem to suggest. But I see this might have been obvious knowing the game was done only with FROM money.

splattered

You do realise what does it mean that IP is OWNED by From? If From Software is bought by Sony and their next games are exclusives to Playstation it won't hit two systems*

* -currently, it's the same likely scenario as yours ;)

Very true! And eventually when i pick up a PS5 i'll buy it and not bitch that i can't play it on my Xbox. :)

Megatron

Absolutely great news. Means we could get a sequel since From owns the IP. Unlike Bloodborne where they seem disinclined to make a sequel because Sony owns the IP.

Juza

Wasnt this already known?
Sekiro was only published by Activision....and only in the West.
In Japan From published it.

I believe the main reason From even used Acitvision was specifically because they didnt want to deal the Bandai Namco owning the IP.
Yep, Activision only the pub, actually, they've done a good work for Fromsoftware and gave them some important tips about marketing games, even Miyazaki appreciated that!
Activision has good relationships with Fromsoftware since they published Lost Kingdoms and Tenchu franchises, they never asked to own the titles! unlike the others.

As for Sekiro, yes, they wanted it 100% Fromsoftware title, and they never expected the game to achieve such a huge success.
FYI although Bandai Namco has the trademark of Dark Souls "out of japan" they cannot mess with the franchise without Fromsoftware permission and vice versa... they have something like co-ownership agreement and I believe they have a similar agreement with Elden Ring.

Any indication MS is interested in Japanese studios?
I don't think it's likely. I think MS/Xbox, for the most part, is more interested in games that have mainstream appeal/appeal to a wider audience. The Souls series and style of games is very geared toward the hardcore. There is a finite number of hardcore gamers out there, far more "casual" ones. What is a "casual" gamer more likely to pick up, an FPS game that has a trailer with guns/bombs/aliens and epic music or a fantasy style game with swards/whips/weird monsters and epic music. If they had to take a gamble and choose, the FPS game is the safer bet to buy.

Top Bottom