• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro IP not owned by Activision, copyright for the game remains at FROM Software post acquisition

Bartski

Gold Member
Good news for many team blue fans of one of the best action games of the last decade, if not ever:

Publishers often acquire the IP rights to games as part of their publishing deals--but that's not always the case. When it comes to Sekiro, the copyright for the game remains with From Software, not with Activision. Thus, while Microsoft is getting a whole lot of brands in the deal, from Call of Duty to StarCraft to Crash Bandicoot, it's not acquiring Sekiro.

Unfortunately, those from team green who somehow haven't played it yet and were expecting it to drop on game pass anytime soon now may be in for a disappointment:

With Sekiro remaining independent, it means that Microsoft can't immediately add the game to its Xbox Game Pass subscription service, as it has done with Bethesda games after its other big recent acquisition. That doesn't mean Sekiro won't appear on the service in the future, but for that to happen, a separate deal will likely need to be made between Microsoft and From Software. It also doesn't mean that Microsoft now gets to determine if a Sekiro sequel is made--although we don't know the details of the game's publishing details, so there could be caveats we're not aware of (such as Activision retaining the right to turn down publishing a Sekiro follow-up before From Software can make a deal elsewhere).

Last edited:

tommib

Good news for many team blue fans of one of the best action games of the last decade if not ever:

Unfortunately, those from team green who somehow haven't played it yet and were expecting it to drop on game pass anytime soon now may be in for a disappointment:
I don’t think From will ever go back to Sekiro. Although it’s technically their best game and a massive sales success. It’s a one off like Bloodborne was.

PSRPTuI.jpg

tommib

Good news for many team blue fans of one of the best action games of the last decade, if not ever:

By the way, Sekiro for sure at the top of the action game pedestals with Quake, RE4, Vanquish, Returnal, Bayonetta.

Bartski

Gold Member
That obviously does not mean Sekiro isn't coming to game pass. TBH I'd love to see that, I think many gamers just skipped it thinking it's too hard and this way might at least get a taste of this epic masterpiece.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wasnt this already known?
Sekiro was only published by Activision....and only in the West.
In Japan From published it.

I believe the main reason From even used Acitvision was specifically because they didnt want to deal the Bandai Namco owning the IP.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
from software going exclusive forever does not make sense , they make sales at multiplatform level
From Software is owned by Kadokawa....why would you even think they were going exclusive forever?

The only reason this thread is even a thing is because people saw that Activision published Sekiro in the west and assumed Activision owned the IP.
From Software owns the IP and likely went with Acitivision to dodge needing to give Ip rights to Bandai Namco.

Kacho

Gold Member
This is good news. Sekiro was amazing and FROM should have control of that IP so they can do more with it in the future without a bunch of red tape getting in the way.

Last edited:

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Combat in Sekiro is easily my favorite of all FromSoftware titles. Even if I never get another Sekiro game again, if they bring back the combat in some form or another then I can die happy :messenger_relieved:

Fbh

Good I guess? It gives them more freedom if they ever want to make a sequel.

Still not sure why this wouldn't mean it won't release on gamepass. Doesn't activision get to decided as the publisher in the west?

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
all the published lists so far say MS owns the rights to Tenchu but only the first 3 "legacy" games, not sure how that works

Believe it or not, Sony was the original owner.
After that is a spaghetti monster of a tale. Activision proceeded to turn around and sell most of their rights to From Software.

ethomaz

Banned
That is know since they announced the game years ago.

I have no ideia how you guys reached the IP belonging to Activision.
Well yesterday somebody else tried to say Tenchu belongs to Activision lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom