• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Wants to Continue Sonic Adventure Series

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an IGN First interview, Sonic Team creative officer Takashi Iizuka discussed the inspirations for the design of Sonic Frontiers. While the interview itself provides insight into the thought process behind some of the decisions that were made with the new game, a specific line near the end is noteworthy on its own; Iizuka mentions wanting to continue the Sonic Adventure series, comparing it to Frontiers in how the non-linear sections are implemented.

It's really cool for those who enjoyed those (I loved the 1st one back in the days despite its flaws not present in Mario 64) but at one point i'd rather want Sega to give more budget to a Lost World new game. The 1 half of the game was just so good! The crossover between Mario Galaxy and Sonic just worked really well with the Sonic gameplay and universe.

Kokoloko85

O they want to now when everything has failed….

They cant produce a good Sonic game anymore. Give it to Insomniac or Nintendo to make a good Sonic Adventure game.

Its not like Sonic team will suddenly produce a good Sonic game because its called Sonic Adventure 3… its gonna be utter shit like the last few Sonic games
(Apart from Sonic Mania which wasn’t made by Sonic Team )

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Make a proper Sonic Adventure 3 with some hubs section then. Sonic Unleashed was actually very close to this.

But this open-world stuff with fights that look like they come from PSO or Dark Souls : WTF does it have to do with Sonic ? They totally missed the point in my opinion.

Davevil

Don't bother. Frontier's style of Sonic should be the present and future of mainline Sonic games.
shigeru-miyamoto-nintendo.gif

I just booted this up, sonic adventure, for the first time. For the first hour I struggled to enjoy it but then I switched the voice over to the Japanese audio. Fucking game changer now I kinda like it.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sonic adventure after the first game was a horrible series that put sonic into this mediocre loop of disappointing game after disappointing game.

Frontiers is the direction sonic needs to be heading.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Only in name.. those set the template… every 3d sonic game after .. that wasn’t on a handheld .. went mainly by that template and they were all awful. The “got to go fast” gameplay just made them into a slightly better mobile game.

Not really. Sonic Adventure 2 was like 1, without the Adventure Fields. I liked the Hedgehog levels in both of these games. The next game Heroes is when they went multi platform and switched game engines. The game was floaty and bad to control. Hated it and marked the end of Sonic as a megaton franchise to me.

After that they switched to boost gameplay in Unleashed. Some boost games are better than others, but they all have shitty control/physics and still feel floaty. I'm pretty sure boost style is what you mean when you say "slightly better mobile game".

It's going to be hard to make another Sonic game that has unanimous praise and appeal.

They've done so many things with Sonic and each game has a following that thinks their chosen Sonic game should be the blueprint going forward and other Sonic games are trash. It seems much more prevalent with Sonic than other fandoms.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I know they are hated around here but I really liked both Sonic adventure games but I admit I was young so maybe my opinion was not what it would be today.

BlackTron

I know they are hated around here but I really liked both Sonic adventure games but I admit I was young so maybe my opinion was not what it would be today.

Being younger definitely helped. Both games are still fine to fire up and play some levels, but a bit more painful to make a new game from scratch. SA2 is worse with this because it forces other gameplay styles on you. At least in SA1 you can play Sonic's game and the only thing separating his 10 levels are a bunch of mostly benign busywork and bad cutscnenes that don't take that long especially if you already know what to do. I mean I could easily complete Sonic's whole game in one afternoon...in fact, I DID the very first time I played it when I rented a Dreamcast from Hollywood Video with no memory card lol.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Being younger definitely helped. Both games are still fine to fire up and play some levels, but a bit more painful to make a new game from scratch. SA2 is worse with this because it forces other gameplay styles on you. At least in SA1 you can play Sonic's game and the only thing separating his 10 levels are a bunch of mostly benign busywork and bad cutscnenes that don't take that long especially if you already know what to do. I mean I could easily complete Sonic's whole game in one afternoon...in fact, I DID the very first time I played it when I rented a Dreamcast from Hollywood Video with no memory card lol.
Yeah that would be my complaint too about SA2 (and more specifically finding those fucking emerald shards) the robot/planerobot part are a bit tedious but still way better than those tresure hunt missions.
I remember a mission that was particularly boring if in a pyramid/egyptian temple but I was something like 8 or 7 at that time and I remember everything was in english, so maybe it is easier now that I can understand what those hints means.

Make a proper Sonic Adventure 3 with some hubs section then. Sonic Unleashed was actually very close to this.

But this open-world stuff with fights that look like they come from PSO or Dark Souls : WTF does it have to do with Sonic ? They totally missed the point in my opinion.
Sonic Unleashed was in development connected to Sonic Adventure, as evidenced by it's Japanese name Sonic World Adventure

Saber

Gold Member
It will only go more downhill from there.
They should focus on baseline Modern Sonic and perfect its gameplay. Adventure games aged ridicoulsy bad.

But its Iizuka we're talking about. This guy should be stop from working decades ago.

Last edited:
Love to see a remake of Sonic Adv myself. Stil the best Sonic game and the most fun I've had in a 3D platform game (read that doesn't mean its the best made 3D platform game)

Comandr

Love to see a remake of Sonic Adv myself. Stil the best Sonic game and the most fun I've had in a 3D platform game (read that doesn't mean its the best made 3D platform game)
Whole heartedly agree. Go back and replay every now and again. It’s just so good still. Easily one of my favorite sonic games. Please give me a mode to keep the original Dreamcast wacky ass lip sync.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IGN recently published an interview with the veteran Sonic developer as part of its month-long exclusive coverage of Sonic Frontiers. In it, Iizuka appeared to express an interest in one day creating a sequel to the Dreamcast’s Adventure games.

Sonic Adventure (1998) and its sequel (2001) remain two of the Sega mascot’s most beloved 3D adventures and contain some open-world elements which the series’ next game looks set to greatly expand upon.

“I haven’t really thought about my next game yet, but I would hope all of the work we put into Sonic Frontiers can be used to make another Sonic Adventure game sometime,” Iizuka told IGN.

At Summer Game Fest: Play Days this weekend, VGC followed up with Iizuka about the comments and asked if Sonic Adventure 3 was a project he could seriously make in the future. The studio head’s response was to stress that he currently had no plans for such a game, beyond a loose desire to one day revisit it.

“IGN asked very directly about making Sonic Adventure 3, so I was just answering the question,” he told us. “I’m not saying, ‘we’re definitely making Sonic Adventure 3’, although people may want to believe that.

“I just want to reiterate that the entire team is focused on Sonic Frontiers and they really want to make it the best game that it can be,” he added.

“In the future, yes, Sonic Adventure 3 is there as an idea that at some point it would be cool to maybe explore, but that’s not part of the plan and that’s not what I’m doing. It’s all about Frontiers [right now] and we have no plans for Sonic Adventure 3 at this point. I just want to be clear with everyone!

“But yeah, as somebody who made Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, it is on my mind as some idea that I could potentially think about in the future.”

Iizuka went on to claim that Sonic Team was “hyper-focused” on Frontiers development and had not yet thought about what it planned to make next.

“I want to be very direct and very clear: we have no plans to make Sonic Adventure 3,” he said.

“I think this is what everyone gets stuck in the trap of: Whenever I say, ‘there’s no plan, it’s not happening’ and I then follow that up by stating that, as somebody who was close to the Adventure series, in the future in this ‘what if’ scenario yeah, I think it could be cool to one day make a game in that Adventure format for the future, that would be cool as an idea… I think people respond to that by assuming that I’m making it.

“But we have no plans to do that. If you ask me if it would be cool to do in the future yeah, it would be cool. But maybe people are reading a bit too much into what I say!”

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ugh. Can’t we euthanize this rodent already? So many amazing franchises collecting dust so we can have Sonic shoved down our throats.
Can’t Sega do anything else besides crank out games from the same franchises over and over and over??

BlackTron

Ugh. Can’t we euthanize this rodent already? So many amazing franchises collecting dust so we can have Sonic shoved down our throats.
Can’t Sega do anything else besides crank out games from the same franchises over and over and over??

The problem is, they still sell. Sega management rushed games, resulting in poor reputation, BUT they figured out they were still selling with poor reputation anyway, so why bother???

They cared about quality when they were trying to get you to buy Sonic INSTEAD of Mario. Sonic is not trying to sell a console anymore. He's just trying to rake in as much cash as possible for as little investment as possible for his Japanese overlords. If people reacted badly to poor quality in terms of sales, it would change.

Maybe the reason they love Sonic so much is because he's the only cash cow they can milk without caring how the final game turns out.

Saber

Gold Member
The problem is, they still sell. Sega management rushed games, resulting in poor reputation, BUT they figured out they were still selling with poor reputation anyway, so why bother???

I don't think Sonic Forces sold in any significant way(they didn't chart anywhere and it's a multiplataform game). Neither Boom series, which is already over btw(whoever though it was a good idea), or Colors Ultimate. Sonic Forces might be the cheapest game in my country, and just so you know here in Brazil games are very expansive.
The thing is, Sonic exist because he still a popular in terms of recognizable character and name brand. The movie also contribute to that in a good way since it had a good reception(it's a also a good movie). Doesn't means their games actually sell, at least not the garbage recent ones.

Why are you guys wanting this team to make a Sonic Adventure 3 when they couldn't make a Sonic the Hedgehog 4 right?

On top of that, saying this NOW sounds like a desperate grab for a fanbase they previously alienated after reception of their latest take on Sonic got backlash.

Most of all, I don't know how Takashi Iizuka still has a job.

But this is common with Japanese developers, for a country so bent on taking responsibility for shit went wrong (seppuku and all), Takashi Iizuka, Hideo Baba (thankfully recently self-ousted), Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshinori Kitase, Kazunori Yamauchi, quite a few others.

Higher ups seem to enjoy hiring incompetent control freaks to manage their IP, and then never firing them when all their decisions backfire.

Jinzo Prime

It's way past time for Iizuka to retire. That's the only way Sonic can improve from where it is now. They seriously need to just upend the Sonic department at Sega and hire fresh talent to handle some Adventure remakes, then make Adventure 3.

RAIDEN1

Not a bad idea wanting to continue the adventure series after all it influenced Nintendo with their recent Super Mario Odyssey

Top Bottom