• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Wants To “Globally Expand” Atlus’ Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking with Famitsu, as reported by ryokutya2089, SEGA's Vice President Shuji Utsumi confirmed that the seventh main entry in the Yakuza series has become the most successful release in the franchise thanks to its worldwide and multiplatform release. In light of this success, SEGA is looking into expanding Atlus developed titles globally with simultaneous worldwide multiplatform releases as well.

While select Atlus titles have been multiplatform releases, although not at launch, like with Persona 4 Golden and Catherine, this is definitely good news for the future. SEGA is already putting its global expansion plans into action with its future titles, as Lost Judgment, the second entry in the Judgment series, will be released worldwide on PC and consoles on September 24th.

Pejo

I hope it not just Atlus games but also Vanillaware games, I want to see more games like 13 Sentinels and Muramasa in more platforms.
That'd be the dream, eh? I still think that Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, Muramasa, and especially Dragon's Crown would be huge hits on PC.

For the meantime, I wouldn't mind the Persona and SMT and some of their older titles like Growlanser and Radiant Historia. Didn't they also publish/develop the Trauma Team series? I don't remember much about them anymore, but I know I played the shit out of those games on the DS/Wii.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Speaking with Famitsu, as reported by ryokutya2089, SEGA's Vice President Shuji Utsumi confirmed that the seventh main entry in the Yakuza series has become the most successful release in the franchise thanks to its worldwide and multiplatform release. In light of this success, SEGA is looking into expanding Atlus developed titles globally with simultaneous worldwide multiplatform releases as well.

While select Atlus titles have been multiplatform releases, although not at launch, like with Persona 4 Golden and Catherine, this is definitely good news for the future. SEGA is already putting its global expansion plans into action with its future titles, as Lost Judgment, the second entry in the Judgment series, will be released worldwide on PC and consoles on September 24th.
Lost Judgment on PC isn't announced for the moment.

blackjon24

Thank goodness because atlus localization have been unacceptable compared to the competition. 13 sentinels, smt3 remastered and persona 5 strikers all took way too long to come to the west

Last edited:

lachesis

I'm all for global simultaneous release for many Japanese titles - especially considering how long it takes to localize after initial release in Japan - a lot of times it loses the steam & buzz, which in this business is more often short-lived as there are always newer things coming up.

Also their domestic market is shrinking - so it's time for the JP developers to appeal simultaneously to the west. As Nagoshi mentioned in his press conference - it's a lot more work for them - but I think it would be worth it. However, I do want censorship and compromising to be minimal - as distinct Japanese offering is what makes their game unique and interesting to me, even if it doesn't go along 100% with western values.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
so it's time for the JP developers to appeal simultaneously to the west.
Thats never good idea, most of us like Japanese games because its give us the experience we can only experience with Japanese games.

The fact is their games will never going have same mass appeal as COD or Fortnite and they shouldn't try to.

Woopah

I'm all for global simultaneous release for many Japanese titles - especially considering how long it takes to localize after initial release in Japan - a lot of times it loses the steam & buzz, which in this business is more often short-lived as there are always newer things coming up.

Also their domestic market is shrinking - so it's time for the JP developers to appeal simultaneously to the west. As Nagoshi mentioned in his press conference - it's a lot more work for them - but I think it would be worth it. However, I do want censorship and compromising to be minimal - as distinct Japanese offering is what makes their game unique and interesting to me, even if it doesn't go along 100% with western values.
The Japanese market is growing not shrinking.

Best way to expand globally is to become acquired by Microsoft for $1.3 billion and they also get to place pachinko machines in the Microsoft campus in Redmond. I'm pretty sure I saw a little pachinko capsule on Phil's shelves so it has to be true.

EDMIX

I swear I heard SEGA say the same things years before.
They have, but to be fair they did what they stated.

VC went to different systems, Yakuza when to different systems, they ported lots of older games etc Sega for generations does this, they try things out and if it doesn't work, they move on.

Yakuza was once on Wii U, if flopped, thus they moved on. So I feel how those games do, will greatly effect if Sega keeps doing it, but I happy to see they are doing fine with the set up that they have.

Thats never good idea, most of us like Japanese games because its give us the experience we can only experience with Japanese games.

The fact is their games will never going have same mass appeal as COD or Fortnite and they shouldn't try to.

Agreed. I trust Sega not to do that as they've been very, very Japanese and conservative on their releases. They know what their brand is and what fans expect, so I see them continuing that. I'd worry if Yakuza was set in Florida or if Persona 6 is set in some private school in New York lol (doesn't sound half bad doe lol) .

I'd love to see the Persona series on many systems, but really only PS, PC and XB as I don't want them gimped by anything lessor. Persona 6 needs to be using that PS5, Series X and beefy PC as base, I want a massive ass city and dem social links ray traced

Blond

Banned
That'd be the dream, eh? I still think that Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, Muramasa, and especially Dragon's Crown would be huge hits on PC.

For the meantime, I wouldn't mind the Persona and SMT and some of their older titles like Growlanser and Radiant Historia. Didn't they also publish/develop the Trauma Team series? I don't remember much about them anymore, but I know I played the shit out of those games on the DS/Wii.
Same here. I just want SMT DS and 3DS games to be ported because as it stands they’re only available on dead handhelds at a 90+ dollars used

lachesis

I agree. Actually I meant "appeal" here as to "pitch/show" - not in "to appease" Sorry about my engrish.

I also enjoy Japenase games for its unique take on things, and perspective on viewing even some mundane stuff.. often quite different from western view, so I do wish they'll never compromise to the western preferences for to please the western audiences, which I wrote on the following sentence....

The Japanese market is growing not shrinking.

Also my bad. Meant "market" share (vs. rest of the world)

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'm getting really tired of japanese devs/publishers and their excuses. Western indie devs port their games to every platform under the sun and these hacks move at a snails pace.

They always talk as if they were small mom and pop stores when they put mullti million sellers. Don't have the manhours? Invest and expand.

The problem is that japanese devs are expensive and not proficient at all. Outsource everything to eastern Europe and you'll have ports left and right.

Also the insular mentality these guys have... we are not in the 80s or 90s anymore where the japanese home console market was massive. Most of the games they put together appeal to both japanese and western gamers. You gotta put the games where the market is...

Top Bottom