• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA teasing an announcement for their 60th anniversary (Virtua Fighter 6?)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not the full version but it does include an arcade ladder and vs option and all the characters. Everything else is gone.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
My bets are:
1. Virtua Fighter Collection or
2. Virtua Fighter Sega Ages or
3. Saturn mini
I don't know when the Saturn mini will be available but i hope more than 30 games, tons of 2D games and no Virtua Fighter 2, no Daytona.
I know some will disagree but who wants to play a 4 FPS Daytona and a good but useless Virtua Fighter 2 ? (you can play the arcade version on PC, X box one, PS4 already. Secure a slot for Fighter Megamix instead, the seat is expensive on a Saturn mini. It's obvious many many many hiden gems won't join the orgy :(. Like Segata, Akira Yuki must give his slot to make the Saturn Mini shine)

Fat Frog

Forever entertainment confirms Panzer Dragoon remake sold beyond expectations.(FE 2020Q1 profits = X4)

Despera

Banned
If that's new Segata I hope it's a bad angle cos he looks more like asian boy band material instead of the rugged karateka.

Doesn't matter if it's Akira since his in game model won't resemble an actor anyway but if that's Segata, meh.

When og segata finds out this is his replacement

sfdFK.gif

Fat Frog

I think the best guess right now is "never."
You would have said the same for a new sakura wars ten years ago.

Sakura is the most beloved Sega ip in Japan, Sega Saturn outsold N64 there...

Emulation will be complicated in 2020 but far from impossible in 2025.(it just need a lot of work)

diffusionx

Gold Member
You would have said the same for a new sakura wars ten years ago.

Sakura is the most beloved Sega ip in Japan, Sega Saturn outsold N64 there...

Emulation will be complicated in 2020 but far from impossible in 2025.(it just need a lot of work)

Genesis Mini didn't set the world on fire, and Saturn Mini is much more complicated with much less/worse brand recognition. I don't think we will be seeing many mini consoles after the TG-16 actually, but hey maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Daytona probably wouldn't even be on a Saturn Mini because of licensing, as we have learned from the various Sega racing games disappearing from XBL/PSN.

Last edited:
Genesis Mini didn't set the world on fire, and Saturn Mini is much more complicated with much less/worse brand recognition. I don't think we will be seeing many mini consoles after the TG-16 actually, but hey maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Daytona probably wouldn't even be on a Saturn Mini because of licensing, as we have learned from the various Sega racing games disappearing from XBL/PSN.

I would imagine the Mega Drive mini sold more than well enough. A Saturn mini would (at a guess) might be even more sort after if SEGA put some of the really rare stuff on there (and since it is an emu, they'll be no issues over source code) . Also, we don't really know how long SEGA got the license for Daytona (after the PS3 and 360 versions) Not that really makes a differnce, the Saturn got plenty more games...

I just wish SEGA would make Virtual Stick Pro (like the Capcom Arcade Stick) for the home with a collection of System 32 and ST-V games on it

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Saturn mini with Guardian Heroes please.

Failing that, gimme a Phantasy Star.
You can play Guardian Heroes on Xbox One or Xbox 360.

First Phantasy Star has a great Sega Ages port on Switch.

Phantasy Star Online 2 is available on Xbox One and is pretty great.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Well, licensing is not necessarly a dead end. Daytona came back recently so as After Burner last year.(they even removed ferrari cars on Outrun 3DS)

The Sega Saturn sold over 6 millions units in Japan. As you can see, Sega is pushing hard this console :

The console has been shown 3 times in this video. (more than all others)
The path will be filled with obstacles but the Saturn is now a major piece of Sega new campaign.

Kazza

Here's a translation I found of the ad:

Girl 1: “Sega Shiro, is that a Switch?”
Sega Shiro: “It’s Sega!" (Game Gear – released in 1990)
Girl 2: “Are those sunglasses?”
Sega Shiro: “It’s Sega!" (Sega 3-D Glasses – released in 1987)
Girl 3: “Is that a backpack?”
Sega Shiro: “It’s Sega!" (Sega Saturn – released in 1994)
Girl 4: “What is it that you’re always wearing?”
(Enter flashback)
Segata Sanshiro: “Sega Shiro!”
Sega Shiro: “Father…”
Segata Sanshiro: “Bring it! Stronger! Master your Sega!”
Sega Shiro: “Sega! Sega! Sega! Sega!”
Segata Sanshiro: “See you.”
Segata Sanshiro blows up on rocket, leaving only his gi.
(Exit flashback)
Sega Shiro: “FATHER!!!”
Girl 4: “Look over there!”
???: “Sega is so outdated!”
Sega Shiro: "Who's that?!"
Sega Hatan Shiro: “Go bankrupt! Go bankrupt! Go bankrupt, Sega!!!” ( Sega Hatan Shiro (セガハタンシロー) is a play on “Sega Saturn” (セガサターン) and “Hatan” (ハタン), which means “Bankruptcy” in Japan.)
Sega Shiro: “Father, I will protect Sega!”

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, licensing is not necessarly a dead end. Daytona came back recently so as After Burner last year.(they even removed ferrari cars on Outrun 3DS)

The Sega Saturn sold over 6 millions units in Japan. As you can see, Sega is pushing hard this console :

The console has been shown 3 times in this video. (more than all others)
The path will be filled with obstacles but the Saturn is now a major piece of Sega new campaign.

Alright man, you're right, the Saturn Mini is just around the corner, keep waiting for it.

Fat Frog

Alright man, you're right, the Saturn Mini is just around the corner, keep waiting for it.
I didn't say that. But it's ridiculous to laugh at me as if i was naive.

Little reminder.

2013 Sega announces he will focus on Sonic, Yakuza, Total War and that's it.
In this reality, you can be sarcastic with me, that's fair.

2015 The new CEO decides to push old IPs from the glory days:

New Sakura Wars
Streets of Rage 4
Wonder Boy 3 Remake
New Chuchu Rocket
Space Chanel 5 VR
Panzer Dragoon Remake
Monkey Ball HD
Megadrive Mini
New Virtual On
Shenmue HD
PanzerDragoon Zwei
Daytona Remake
Virtual On Collection
House of the Dead Scarlet
Panzer Dragoon VR
House of the dead remake

In this reality (Shenmue 3, Half Life Alyx, FF7 Remake reality), sorry but pretty much everything is possible for old school Sega fans.

Nope, Saturn mini is probably not around the corner
but is far from impossible in 2025-2030 or sooner if Sega decides to invest a little(M2 said they would need several long years)

Last edited:
Top Bottom