• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega set to expand

ziran

Sega Press Release from Games Press via gamesindustry.biz.

William Petro has become Senior Vice President of Product Development at Sega of America, Inc. He built the $45 million Backyard Sports series for Atari, and worked on the Lands of Lore, Command & Conquer and Blade Runner franchises while at Westwood Studios.

...In his role at SEGA, Petro will be responsible for SEGA's new three-pronged development strategy: developing new content internally by drawing from SEGA's unmatched vault of existing IP; increasing focus on acquiring external content through partnerships with standout developers such as Secret Level, Silicon Knights, Sports Interactive, Monolith Productions and Pseudo Interactive; and the acquisition of development studios for future multiplatform growth, such as The Creative Assembly. In addition to product development, Petro will also lead SEGA's A&R (artist and repertoire) efforts, furthering the diversity and innovation of the titles that are brought to market.

"We are extremely excited to have added an industry veteran such as Bill to the SEGA executive team," said Simon Jeffery, President and COO of SEGA of America, Inc. "In addition to leading our new focus on aggressively acquiring new content through partnerships and outright purchases, Bill is the ideal candidate to help in our efforts to continue the development of existing SEGA IP."...

Andrew2

Banned
In his role at SEGA, Petro will be responsible for SEGA's new three-pronged development strategy: developing new content internally by drawing from SEGA's unmatched vault of existing IP

I could see another Midway in the making -- butcher those franchises we know and love. The last thing I wouldn't want to see, is SEGA USA dragging the "Virtua Cop" name through the mud in the form of a GTA-knock-off like Midway has done with NARC or turning OutRun into BurnOut-wanna be.

the acquisition of development studios for future multiplatform growth, such as The Creative Assembly.

SEGA could aquire all the developers they want, however stay the hell away from Snowblind Studios. I've loving Snowblind as of late, and I value thier independence.

Anyhow, its interesting to see SEGA relying less on the arcade/amuemsent teams.

ManaByte

"We are extremely excited to have added an industry veteran such as Bill to the SEGA executive team," said Simon Jeffery, President and COO of SEGA of America, Inc. "In addition to leading our new focus on aggressively acquiring new content through partnerships and outright purchases, Bill is the ideal candidate to help in our efforts to continue the development of existing SEGA IP."...

Just to put the current Sega of America in perspective for you, when Jeffery was running Lucasarts (before Lucas kicked him out) he greenlit games such as Force Commander, Masters of the Teras Kasi, Rebellion, Star Wars Demolition, Jedi Power Battles, RTX Redrock, and Super Bombad Racing; while he cancelled Sam & Max 2 and Full Throttle.

Sega may be set to expand. But expand into what?

Andrew2

Banned
ManaByte said:
Just to put the current Sega of America in perspective for you, when Jeffery was running Lucasarts (before Lucas kicked him out) he greenlit games such as Force Commander, Masters of the Teras Kasi, Rebellion, Star Wars Demolition, Jedi Power Battles, RTX Redrock, and Super Bombad Racing; while he cancelled Sam & Max 2 and Full Throttle.

Sega may be set to expand. But expand into what?

The only leader SEGA needs...

in_bernie.jpg

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
CosmicGroinPull said:
Go SEGA!

Remake Blade Runner!

Forget Shenmue!

I agree. A Blade Runner game with next gen console power would be great. One of the few movie licensed games I've ever enjoyed.

jarrod

Banned
Andrew2 said:
SEGA could aquire all the developers they want, however stay the hell away from Snowblind Studios. I've loving Snowblind as of late, and I value thier independence.
SEGA should've bought Snowblind back when they were known as Lobotomy. ;)

It blows my mind that SEGA passed on not only them, but also Core Design way back when they had the chance to scoop them up.

Brimstone said:
I agree. A Blade Runner game with next gen console power would be great. One of the few movie licensed games I've ever enjoyed.

Hell yes. I dream about running around the entire Blade Runner city, looking for clues, hunting replicants, driving flying vehicles every night.

Zeo

Banned
Anyone else really want a Vectorman update?

So happy they cancelled that shitty-looking one they had planned a while back. Just do it right Sega. ):

Doesn't matter anyway. Westwood is no more, right? Without the original team, I doubt they can recreate the feel of the game. Besides, I don't know if a sandbox-style of game where you run around solving mysteries is marketable nowadays.

Top Bottom