• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega says its ‘Super Game’ plan is multiple games, and may use NFTs

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At the time it was believed that the ‘Super Game’ was going to be a single, enormous title, but a new internal interview has clarified that it refers to a description Sega is giving to a number of high-budget games it has planned.

In an interview on Sega Japan’s recruitment website (translated by VGC), executive VP Shuji Utsumi explains: “Sega offers a wide range of game content, including hardware and arcade content, which is made possible by its diverse range of technologies. We have defined ‘SuperGame’ as the development of AAA titles that cross over SEGA’s comprehensive range of technologies, and we will aim to achieve this in our five-year plan.”

Explaining further, Utsumi said: “Several titles are being developed within the framework of SuperGame, and while each title will vary, there is no doubt that they will be interactive titles that go beyond the traditional framework of games.

“For example, in the past, people who played games were called gamers, but now watching games has become a culture in itself, and such people could no longer be called gamers. I think there is great potential in the relationship between people who play and watch games. We are thinking of creating new entertainment within these possibilities.”

According to Utsumi, a ‘SuperGame’ title has to meet four main criteria: “(i) multi-platform, (ii) global multi-language development, (iii) simultaneous worldwide release, and (iv) AAA titles. In other words, you can imagine that the scale of game development will be that of a global blockbuster.”

Sega’s general manager Katsuya Hisai added: “Several projects are currently underway for SuperGame. In my department, around 50 people are already involved in the initial stages. We expect that the final number of employees will be several hundred.”

The Super Game project could also incorporate cloud technology and NFTs, two technologies Sega has recently been getting involved with.

Sega producer Masayoshi Kikuchi explained during the same interview: “Gaming has a history of expansion through the connection of various cultures and technologies. For example, social networking and game video viewing are recent examples.

“It is a natural extension for the future of gaming that it will expand to involve new areas such as cloud gaming and NFT. We are also developing SuperGame from the perspective of how far different games can be connected to each other.”

I'm both excited and scared at the same time. Why are they talking about NFTs again? Didn't they say a few months ago they weren't going to do them? C'mon Sega, you're on good momentum, people are loving the new Sonic film and it's doing gangbusters. Frontiers might actually be a great game, I'm hoping. Don't screw it up with NFTs.

Even if they aren't bad (I'm just giving them benefit of the doubt), they have too much a bad rap with gamers. Not worth risking the goodwill. Aside that though I'm looking forward to see what these specific games are, hope they include some cool classic IP AAA revivals.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This report is extremely skewed and misleading. No wonder they don't even link the actual source, or people may find out that this is clear-cut misreporting for clicks.

NFT were simply mentioned in passing as a trend alongside other trends. There is no actual indication that Sega's "super game" projects will or even may use them.

Basically, this article cherry-picks the potentially controversial parts artificially amplifying their relevance in the original interview. On the other hand, it completely ignores relevant parts which were given much more prominence in the interview like the concept of "Japaneseness" IE games that are made in Japan by developers living in Japan or that love Japanese content. This is much more prominent in the original source and these people did not even give it a mention, which is ridiculous since it's openly mentioned as a key element to challenging the worldwide market.

And there are many more elements in the original interview that this article ignores in favor of riding the controversial topic mentioned in passing in a single line.

I normally don't encourage using google translator, but this article is so bad that you'll learn more and better about this "Super Game" concept if you read the original source via google translate than via this sensationalist trainwreck.

Last edited:

At the time it was believed that the ‘Super Game’ was going to be a single, enormous title, but a new internal interview has clarified that it refers to a description Sega is giving to a number of high-budget games it has planned.

In an interview on Sega Japan’s recruitment website (translated by VGC), executive VP Shuji Utsumi explains: “Sega offers a wide range of game content, including hardware and arcade content, which is made possible by its diverse range of technologies. We have defined ‘SuperGame’ as the development of AAA titles that cross over SEGA’s comprehensive range of technologies, and we will aim to achieve this in our five-year plan.”

Explaining further, Utsumi said: “Several titles are being developed within the framework of SuperGame, and while each title will vary, there is no doubt that they will be interactive titles that go beyond the traditional framework of games.

“For example, in the past, people who played games were called gamers, but now watching games has become a culture in itself, and such people could no longer be called gamers. I think there is great potential in the relationship between people who play and watch games. We are thinking of creating new entertainment within these possibilities.”

According to Utsumi, a ‘SuperGame’ title has to meet four main criteria: “(i) multi-platform, (ii) global multi-language development, (iii) simultaneous worldwide release, and (iv) AAA titles. In other words, you can imagine that the scale of game development will be that of a global blockbuster.”

Sega’s general manager Katsuya Hisai added: “Several projects are currently underway for SuperGame. In my department, around 50 people are already involved in the initial stages. We expect that the final number of employees will be several hundred.”

The Super Game project could also incorporate cloud technology and NFTs, two technologies Sega has recently been getting involved with.

Sega producer Masayoshi Kikuchi explained during the same interview: “Gaming has a history of expansion through the connection of various cultures and technologies. For example, social networking and game video viewing are recent examples.

It is a natural extension for the future of gaming that it will expand to involve new areas such as cloud gaming and NFT. We are also developing SuperGame from the perspective of how far different games can be connected to each other.

Different style games connected to each other? So maybe create your own avatar and have a hub world where people can gather and socialize like in PHantasy Star Online? Maybe it will be like the Oasis in Ready Player One. For example Go play Crazy Taxi go back to the hub world and fuck around and play mini games then go play phantasy Star online, go back to hub world and then play Yakuza Online.

Quasicat

Sega Saturn mini included in this plan?
Could you imagine how awesome that would be? Then you hack the hell out of it and give it the ultimate Saturn library. I know this can be already done with emulation, but I’m always longing for that official menu front end that brings it all together…like that Genesis mini that was done by M2.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Happy The Office GIF

arvfab

Banned
This report is extremely skewed and misleading. No wonder they don't even link the actual source, or people may find out that this is clear-cut misreporting for clicks.

NFT were simply mentioned in passing as a trend alongside other trends. There is no actual indication that Sega's "super game" projects will or even may use them.

Basically, this article cherry-picks the potentially controversial parts artificially amplifying their relevance in the original interview. On the other hand, it completely ignores relevant parts which were given much more prominence in the interview like the concept of "Japaneseness" IE games that are made in Japan by developers living in Japan or that love Japanese content. This is much more prominent in the original source and these people did not even give it a mention, which is ridiculous since it's openly mentioned as a key element to challenging the worldwide market.

And there are many more elements in the original interview that this article ignores in favor of riding the controversial topic mentioned in passing in a single line.

I normally don't encourage using google translator, but this article is so bad that you'll learn more and better about this "Super Game" concept if you read the original source via google translate than via this sensationalist trainwreck.

Just wanted to say: Thank you.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Publisher Sega, owner of fan-favorite franchises like Persona and Sonic the Hedgehog, recently stated in a financial report that it is currently in the process of developing a "Super Game," set to come out before March 2026. Though the term by itself is a bit vague, the report further clarifies what this project entails, and it's made clear that it's not something totally unheard of.

The company's goal with this "Super Game," first and foremost, is to attract more active users to it "than any of [Sega's] games to date." Sega wants the title to have a large and present community that engages with the game not just by playing it, but also by streaming it and watching videos of it. The report goes on to say that Sega wants a community that "expands and further develops game content, adding value to a game that is unimagined by developers," which would then result in even more users, more content, and so on.

Jinzo Prime

This is the type of shit business people say when they mean microtransactions up the ass.
They want a game that never ends like Fortnite or the Metaverse, they have fallen for the hype. Say hello to infinite microtansactions, hooray!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Its always the same. someone makes a good product and ends up montetizing the shit out of it (eg Fortnite) and everyone else wants to get in on the action by monetizing the shit out of something but they forget that it started with a good game. I dont play Fortnite but seems people that do at least enjoy playing the game.

Make a good game first and the money and extras will come.

DragonNCM

Its always the same. someone makes a good product and ends up montetizing the shit out of it (eg Fortnite) and everyone else wants to get in on the action by monetizing the shit out of something but they forget that it started with a good game. I dont play Fortnite but seems people that do at least enjoy playing the game.

Make a good game first and the money and extras will come.
OR...you can make good game like Eldenring without single bullshit monetizing & make money.

Top Bottom