• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega president Kenji Matsubara resigns

Bullet Club

Sega president Kenji Matsubara resigns

Former Tecmo Koei and Zynga Japan CEO leaves publisher after six years

Sega has announced the resignation of its president and chief publishing officer Kenji Matsubara.

In an official notice of resignation released by parent Sega Sammy Holdings, it states that Matsubara will leave the company as of today.

The notice cites "personal reasons" as the reasons for his departure.

Matsubara has served as the Japanese publisher's president since 2017, adding chief publishing officer to his role back in April.

He first joined Sega in 2014 as CTO for Sega Networks Company, and has since worked his way to the top of the firm's games business.

Prior to his time at Sega, he spent nine years as president and CEO of Japanese publisher Tecmo Koei and two years in the same position at the local branch of casual games giant Zynga.

Source: Game Industry

Saber

Gold Member
It comes as surprise, but judging as personnal reasons it might be a case of not feeling well or having to deal with a illness. If so, I hope everything goes well for him.

I hope the next one really changes how Sonic main games are made because they are an abobination.

ryuQ4NC.gif

Hoping it really is personal and mot ousted. :(

Best of luck, man.

Dabaus

Banned
The board be like "You signed HOW many exclusives for xbox??!" I have no idea why he resigned but if hes making money good for him.

I'd be all over a new SEGA console. Make it stationary, don't get into the HW arms race with MS/Sony and concentrate on good exclusives. Use cartridges as a bonus. A man can dream.
SEGA leaving the console hardware competition and going third party is a trauma that I still haven't fully recovered from.

Growing up with Sega consoles since the 8bit era, seeing their logo in a Sony, Nintendo or MS game is always sad.

While Matsubara would seem to be the guy who was managing the daily operations of SEGA's consumer games business, he wasn't a top executive or a director of the overall SEGA Sammy Group. Maybe he left on his own accord, but it's also possible he was allowed to resign, instead of being fired or made redundant. Consumers likely won't even realize he's gone.

Last edited:

Breakage

Where is this from?? Would be incredible if it was a Dreamcast game.
It's from the What's Shenmue? demo. You can see the scene from 17min 50secs onwards:

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I'd be all over a new SEGA console. Make it stationary, don't get into the HW arms race with MS/Sony and concentrate on good exclusives. Use cartridges as a bonus. A man can dream.

I'd imagine it's too risky financially.

Imagine if they just made a Switch competitor, but with all their IPs and Atlus stuff exclusive now. I could see that selling.

PresetError

Neophyte
The guy is 58 years old. The same age Reggie Phils-Aimeé and Shawn Layden had when they left Nintendo and Playstation. Maybe it's a japanese thing?

Top Bottom