• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega plans to utilize external IPs and roll out multiplatform expansion of existing IPs

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Page 26
lfsN9z2.png

Page 48 and Page 52(these slides are advertising the existing multiplatform expansions, but they also seem eager to continue doing this in future)
u4kS1zk.png

kgi8IsA.png

SonicJams

Thanks for the summary man. Love reading this, it's documented perfectly.

So, their teams have been growing consistently since 2015 and staff turnover has reduced consistently since then too. With a focus on quality improvement and expansion into global areas. Great to hear.

Can't wait to see what's in store for Sonic and their other IPs. SEGA'S got a special place in my home.

Laughed at the "super low birthrate + aging population" section for some reason 😅

Last edited:

Kazza

h6FxZgk.png

Has Sega ever made a bad acquisition? With companies like EA and MS, there have been a few studios that have ended up either being underutilised or just closed down completely. I can't think of a studio that has been screwed over after joining Sega .

It's funny looking back at the reactions to their purchase of Atlus a few years back. Even the eternally optimistic Happy Console Gamer was worried. In the end, I think everything worked out great for Atlus.

h6FxZgk.png

Has Sega ever made a bad acquisition? With companies like EA and MS, there have been a few studios that have ended up either being underutilised or just closed down completely. I can't think of a studio that has been screwed over after joining Sega .

It's funny looking back at the reactions to their purchase of Atlus a few years back. Even the eternally optimistic Happy Console Gamer was worried. In the end, I think everything worked out great for Atlus.

Secret Level wasn't the best and SEGA closed down No Cliche after just one game . Looking back SEGA really should have bought Lobotomy software and CORE design

Kazza

Secret Level wasn't the best and SEGA closed down No Cliche after just one game . Looking back SEGA really should have bought Lobotomy software and CORE design

Yeah, it was obvious what a talent group of devs Core were when they were pumping out such fun and technically great games on the Mega CD. Tomb Raider as a first party exclusive would have been a big deal for the western Saturn market (as would Fighting Force as a SoR4 game). Lobotomy would have had less effect on the Dreamcast I think, but we would have got one or two great Exhumed-esque Dreamcast FPSs out of it.

Hell yeah they should've. Lobotomy were damn wizards for their time, utterly amazing what they managed to pull off. I remember hearing something about Sony actually passing up on them, too, because they basically saw Lobotomy as a "SEGA team" given how closely they worked with SEGA on the Saturn versions of Exhumed/Powerslave etc. Which is wild to me.

I guess the chance for SEGA to purchase CORE would've been during early development phase of Tomb Raider, right? As I understand it they wanted to make that a 32X exclusive, then a Saturn exclusive when focus shifted to that platform. It was actually Eidos who told them to make a PlayStation version too, and Eidos were the ones who took Sony's offer to lock out the Saturn for future versions of the game (granted this was done around the time Saturn was losing a lot of ground in the West so they took advantage of a situation more or less).

Saber

Gold Member
What is this "Sonic the Hedgehog" game launched for Apple Arcade?

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
The demand for a Sonic Unleashed PC Port is high, Sega should consider that in the near future, and I'll gladly double dip if Sakura Wars 2019 gets a PC Port too.

splattered

I've always loved Sega... they really felt like the Xbox of the day if you think about it. I had good friends that owned the genesis and future sega consoles but i got so much shit in general from kids at school because i didn't play exclusively on nintendo or sony consoles.

Hell yeah they should've. Lobotomy were damn wizards for their time, utterly amazing what they managed to pull off. I remember hearing something about Sony actually passing up on them, too, because they basically saw Lobotomy as a "SEGA team" given how closely they worked with SEGA on the Saturn versions of Exhumed/Powerslave etc. Which is wild to me.

I guess the chance for SEGA to purchase CORE would've been during early development phase of Tomb Raider, right? As I understand it they wanted to make that a 32X exclusive, then a Saturn exclusive when focus shifted to that platform. It was actually Eidos who told them to make a PlayStation version too, and Eidos were the ones who took Sony's offer to lock out the Saturn for future versions of the game (granted this was done around the time Saturn was losing a lot of ground in the West so they took advantage of a situation more or less).

I don't think SONY passed on Lobotomy, just that they were making Exhumed 2 for the PS, while they had cash flow issues , which is really when SEGA should have came into to help
SEGA should have bought CORE after their work on the Mega CD and before US Gold bought them, only for EIDOS to then buy CORE.

After their amazing work on the Saturn I did want SEGA to buy Tiburon, only to see them be bought by EA LOL

Yeah, it was obvious what a talent group of devs Core were when they were pumping out such fun and technically great games on the Mega CD. Tomb Raider as a first party exclusive would have been a big deal for the western Saturn market (as would Fighting Force as a SoR4 game). Lobotomy would have had less effect on the Dreamcast I think, but we would have got one or two great Exhumed-esque Dreamcast FPSs out of it.

SEGA should have got CORE for their Mega CD efforts alone and when CORE were looking for investment, which US Gold took up. Lobotomy were what I want in a development team, a bunch of people who just loved making games and didn't care for much else .. I'm always willing to bet if SEGA put Lobotomy Software on the DC port of Half Life it would have been finished much earlier ( and make it to retail) and be a much better port as well, instead SEGA gave to captivation digital to screw up .

Lobotomy were GODS and still to this day the best FPS with the most perfect level design

SMB seems like a no brainer on Switch with the gyro controls.

Imagine holding the handheld like a tabletop you tilt to move.

Like they were meant to be. <3

Bring the Vanillaware games to PC. I would like to play Dragon’s Crown co-op without needing to play for multiplayer.

Oh, and Muramasa Rebirth has been stuck in Vita hell for too long.

Miles708

h6FxZgk.png

Sega also closed their very own Sega Racing Studio after Sega Rally Revo, which was a game only a couple of steps away from greatness :messenger_pensive:

Kazza

Sega also closed their very own Sega Racing Studio after Sega Rally Revo, which was a game only a couple of steps away from greatness :messenger_pensive:

Didn't they also close that Australian studio that made the Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion remake?

BTW, I thought Sega Rally Revo was great. I have it on my 360 and still play it. Really fun courses. What do you think it was missing?

Miles708

Didn't they also close that Australian studio that made the Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion remake?

BTW, I thought Sega Rally Revo was great. I have it on my 360 and still play it. Really fun courses. What do you think it was missing?

While great, personally I had the impression that they were a little too afraid of departing too much from the original, and accidentally made the game much more difficult than necessary. Time trials were brutal (3 perfect laps in a row...) and the first class of cars is also the hardest to control. It gets better going forward.

The track deformation was awesome and it interacted beautifully with the car, but the handling model was even more drift-friendly than the original, almost to a Ridge Racer point, and even the IA couldn't do some turns without crashing on the barriers.

They made an arcade version of Sega Rally Revo on arcade machines with the original desert track and a revamped handling model, but I feel they ruined it even more.

Still, the game is awesome and I've enjoyed it A LOT, but has balancing problems pretty much everywhere. I would buy a sequel/remake in an heartbeat, though.

Last edited:

Kazza

While great, personally I had the impression that they were a little too afraid of departing too much from the original, and accidentally made the game much more difficult than necessary. Time trials were brutal (3 perfect laps in a row...) and the first class of cars is also the hardest to control. It gets better going forward.

The track deformation was awesome and it interacted beautifully with the car, but the handling model was even more drift-friendly than the original, almost to a Ridge Racer point, and even the IA couldn't do some turns without crashing on the barriers.

They made an arcade version of Sega Rally Revo on arcade machines with the original desert track and a revamped handling model, but I feel they ruined it even more.

Still, the game is awesome and I've enjoyed it A LOT, but has balancing problems pretty much everywhere. I would buy a sequel/remake in an heartbeat, though.

Ah, ok. I personally loved the original so much on the Saturn, so that's probably why I didn't have an issue with the controls not departing much from the original. I'm going to try to get a copy of the PC version, as I hear that one can be played at 60 fps.

Miles708

Ah, ok. I personally loved the original so much on the Saturn, so that's probably why I didn't have an issue with the controls not departing much from the original. I'm going to try to get a copy of the PC version, as I hear that one can be played at 60 fps.

Funnily enough, I also love Sega Rally on Saturn, and still i think the handling in Revo is just different enough to be somewhat annoying.

Yes, I know in the previous post I've said that it was too similar to the old one... my judgement over this game is all over the place:messenger_grinning_smiling:

I still love it, maybe that's the cause.

Top Bottom