• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA plans on releasing an "Astro City" Mini. Featuring 36 Aarcade Games!!!

I'd love to finally be able to play the arcade version at home.(Since I've played both the Genesis and arcade version enough to know they're a little different) Being able to play Revenge of Death Adder would be a great bonus since I've never played it. I hope they have a usb port on it so you can plug in a controller though.
Yeah me too I never played Revenge of the Death Adder and I loved Golden Axe back in the day. I remember when I got Golden Axe and Shinobi before even getting the actual Mega Drive console (Genesis) and kept looking at the box and drooling over the pictures!

Last edited:

Impotaku

Amazon japan preorders live

Unit

Extra controller

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've played the arcade version of Altered Beast in the PS3 Sega collection and it was too hard to be enjoyable. They won't get any new fans off this, but it might be a nice little niche product for those that grew up somewhere that had an arcade.

Futaleufu

I expect games from the early 80s up to System 32 to complete the collection. The screen is already tiny as it is, playing vertical games on this will be hilarious.

UnNamed

Banned
There also was a version with Ridge Racer on it, but I don't know if it is real or fake

Last edited:

Crownjo

This old picture from the 2000s internet predicted the future.

lEN_TplsaUhgU5NtE4BpR5yFBLsqaHqStZVUhV0joC8.png

If they can get Aurial on there from Westone, and perhaps Puyo Puyo Tsu (just to broaden the genres), then that will be great!

I personally want Quartet on there and Fantasy Zone 2 DX (just to complete the FZ collection).

I fully expect After Burner on there as well.

Vandole

Well this is giving me mixed feelings. This already has three of my 10 favorite arcade games, but it's just so small and ugly for that matter. Being able to plug it into a TV is a good thing, and may very well be what convinces me to pick it up, but boy I wish they won a different route with this. Such a good idea, such a bad execution.

xiseerht

I think some people are confused . You can still hook this up to a TV and you can also connect controllers to this unit as well. This also has clicky buttons to feel like an arcade stick.

Last edited:

Dazrael

Well this is giving me mixed feelings. This already has three of my 10 favorite arcade games, but it's just so small and ugly for that matter. Being able to plug it into a TV is a good thing, and may very well be what convinces me to pick it up, but boy I wish they won a different route with this. Such a good idea, such a bad execution.

Small and ugly? The Astro City is a gloriously designed cab, much better than anything the West got. This looks like a perfect tiny replica, it’s brilliant. I’m buying it more for the looks than the game library. If it has some great games on it then it’s the icing on the cake.

Vandole

Small and ugly? The Astro City is a gloriously designed cab, much better than anything the West got. This looks like a perfect tiny replica, it’s brilliant. I’m buying it more for the looks than the game library. If it has some great games on it then it’s the icing on the cake.
At its actual normal size, sure it's a well designed cab. When it's shrunk down to fit into the palm of your hands the joystick is too close to the buttons and looks uncomfortable to play. So, I stand by calling it "small and ugly."

kunonabi

Preorders say it includes an hdmi cable. That coupled with the extra controller makes me think you could potentially hook it up to a tv.

Orta

Banned
The six button layout might offer a clue as to which games will be on this thing.

I hope Virtua Racing is one of them.

Futaleufu

Unless Sega is planning to release peripherals dont expect racing games on it.

The six button layout might offer a clue as to which games will be on this thing.

I hope Virtua Racing is one of them.

Burning Rival is the only game I can think of that uses 6 buttons and its likely to be included

Surprised to see Dark Edge, rarely see it mentioned anywhere.

There is a reason for it, its a mess.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Well I caved and preordered. I've avoided every other Mini, aside from grabbing the SNES classic for the controller, so might as well jump in here. Unless the emulation is really bad I probably won't notice anyway.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Jesus Sega, make a mini/bar top arcade with a proper steering wheel attachment and pads and fill it with all your Model 2 & 3 Racers and you'll have a fucking money tree

Kazza

Glad to see the arcade versions of E-Swat and Shadow Dancer finally getting released (even though they are both inferior to their home console counterparts). I could have done without another Columns game (they'll probably include 3 in the final 13 :rolleyes: ). The Wonderboys are all nice additions, as is Cotton. Given the selection so far, I think it's safe to say that racing and shooting games are off the table (probably for the best, given the regular joystick controls). I don't expect to see much Model 2 stuff (except maybe VF2), and probably no more Model 1 stuff either.

All in all, a pretty good selection so far. Is this thing still available for pre-order?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Cotton is a nice surprise. I know it's Sega published and Sega hardware but I never really thought of it as a Sega game.

Kazza

Some of my guesses for the final 13:

Choplifter
Wrestle War
Desert Breaker (top down shooter)
Arabian Fight (side scrolling beat'em up)
Burning Rival (a pre-VF 2D fighting game)
Ninja Princess

Kazza

Any news about a western release?

None. I don't think it's coming here. The Megadrive/Genesis Mini was announced simultaneously for all regions, so I'm not hopeful for this one. I would personally be happy with just a console/PC collection of the same games.

None. I don't think it's coming here. The Megadrive/Genesis Mini was announced simultaneously for all regions, so I'm not hopeful for this one. I would personally be happy with just a console/PC collection of the same games.
Too bad I'll end up pre ordering the Japanese version for myself.

Glad to see the arcade versions of E-Swat and Shadow Dancer finally getting released (even though they are both inferior to their home console counterparts). I could have done without another Columns game (they'll probably include 3 in the final 13 :rolleyes: ). The Wonderboys are all nice additions, as is Cotton. Given the selection so far, I think it's safe to say that racing and shooting games are off the table (probably for the best, given the regular joystick controls). I don't expect to see much Model 2 stuff (except maybe VF2), and probably no more Model 1 stuff either.

All in all, a pretty good selection so far. Is this thing still available for pre-order?

Good assessment. They also seem to be leaning heavily on games M2 previously ported. Would like to see some STV games, but I guess it must be hard to emulate.

DESTROYA

Is it using a tiny 3.5’’ screen ?

I love the idea of these but the screen is way to small for my taste.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Cotton and Shinobi are cool but I'm not too excited about the rest. Hopefully the next batch is better.
Shadow Dancer is the last game to play a lot like Shinobi though (all the later console centric sequels don't have the same sort of feel at all imo) and is pretty decent.

GrayFoxPL

Another 13 just announced:

Cotton
Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
ESWAT
Crack Down
Gain Ground
Puyo Puyo
Columns
Bonanza Bros
Ichidant-R
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

Another 13 games remain to be revealed (scheduled for Sept 3rd)

Sega Lord X got 7 of them right.

But there's no chance this will have model 2 games imo.

Top Bottom