• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA plans on releasing an "Astro City" Mini. Featuring 36 Aarcade Games!!!

Revenge of Death Adder is on it!!!

Japan only at the moment but perhaps a chance to come west?

01-scaled.jpg

"
SEGA Japan (more specifically their SEGA Toys subsidiary) are back on the micro console hype train with their latest effort – the Astro City Mini. This mini arcade cabinet features 36 SEGA arcade titles and is due to release by the end of the year.

The full list of games has yet to be revealed, but a small selection have been confirmed and they are listed below:

– Alien Syndrome
– Alien Storm
– Golden Axe
– Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
– Columns II
– Dark Edge
– Tant R
– Virtua Fighter
– Fantasy Zone
– Altered Beast

All games will be presented in their original arcade format."

"The Astro City Mini can be played using its built-in screen or sent to a television via HDMI. The system itself has its own arcade 8 way micro-switched joystick and 6 button setup. When the console is powered on the marquee also lights up. The system needs to be powered via a micro USB connection and there are also 2 extra USB slots for additional joysticks which are going to be sold separately. There is currently no word on whether the system will release in Western territories. The Astro City Mini will be priced at 12,800 yen which currently converts to £93.70."

Details of the Mini

Last edited:
I hope it doesn't make the same mistakes as the Neo Geo MVS Mini to be honest.

If it outputs crisp visuals and has decent controllers I will import this thing.

If not then I will wait until I see the final line up.

I am expecting SEGAsonic to somehow appear on this thing just to troll us. (And Virtual On with an expensive Twin Stick Controller)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The aesthetics look great but that list of games is tiny.

First ports ever of Revenge of Death Adder and Dark Edge and you port them for this thing instead of Sega AGES for Switch.

Good job Sega..
Yeah same thing happened when CAPCOM did their arcade-stick monstrosity. I believe that included the first home ports for Alien v Predator, Progear, and Mega Man Power Battle. AvP stung pretty bad because they'd just released the "Belt Action collection" / Beat em up Collection.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don’t know, 36 games is quite a decent amount. There is a chance that we could get titles like Arabian Fight and Burning Rival in there, it can certainly handle up to Model 1 games by the looks of things.
SEGA has a habit of cramming fluff and repeats into their compilations. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but the list so far is meh.

wondermega

It looks cool. I've never been a fan of candy cab designs but who cares, this looks really nice. Microswitches a a huge plus! Might make me feel a little bit better that this thing never ended up receiving funding..

The aesthetics look great but that list of games is tiny.

Yeah same thing happened when CAPCOM did their arcade-stick monstrosity. I believe that included the first home ports for Alien v Predator, Progear, and Mega Man Power Battle. AvP stung pretty bad because they'd just released the "Belt Action collection" / Beat em up Collection.

38 games will be on it. They only shown about 10 I think?

Could get some nice Gems on it!

Airola

SEGA has a habit of cramming fluff and repeats into their compilations. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but the list so far is meh.

Yeah, I bet one of the games will be Flicky.
I have that on this Sega plug in tv controller thing, and I have that on the Sega collection on Steam.
Not that it's a bad game, but seeing Altered Beast, Columns and Flicky over and over again in their compilations doesn't really excite me that much anymore.

That said, they are the arcade versions that are coming to this Mini and I think we haven't really been able to play those versions yet so I guess that's a bonus and puts a tiny bit of more excitement in the air for me.

Dazrael

This device is meant to be arcade-centric so it shouldn’t fall under the typical Genesis/Megadrive fare.

I agree that Sega will probably balls it up in some way but they are on the right track so far with Revenge of Death Adder and Dark Edge on there. Even if it does have a duff game selection at least it’ll be a pretty nice looking ornament.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Take my money!

I also want the mini game gears for a keychain lol

Last edited:

Stuart360

Sega really annoy me how they wont release their arcade back catalogue on current systems. They could charge like $5 for the Death Adder level 2D games, and $10 for the Daytona's, Scud Race, etc 3D games.
I bet they would make a nice steady income from them, i know i would buy most of them on PC.

Rayderism

Certainly better than those mini arcade units that, while only having one game in them (and as many as 6 games, if you knew how to hack certain ones), were also just NES versions of the games instead of actual arcade ports.

Having actual arcade versions of the games in it gives it a lot of value.

Faithless83

Banned
Wow that's insane! Sega model one emulation in it as well... makes me wonder what is the hardware they are using in it.

dave_d

It's actually the original and the sequence, which has nerve been released anywhere else other than the arcades.
I'd love to finally be able to play the arcade version at home.(Since I've played both the Genesis and arcade version enough to know they're a little different) Being able to play Revenge of Death Adder would be a great bonus since I've never played it. I hope they have a usb port on it so you can plug in a controller though.

Kuranghi

Here you go

Pretty sweet looking, but its a shame the input lag is so high - or at least appears to be - I think its actually that the wheel doesn't register a movement in the game for every "tick" of the wheel but it ends up giving the same effect overall.

I don't know how any that works but I wonder if its a software or hardware issue.

Kuranghi

I was just thinking, will all these games go into the public domain after XX years or doesn't that apply here? Or are publishers constantly renewing copyright or whatever you call the ownership of the game?

Ie, Will we ever see a giant collection of arcade/retro games that aren't bound by licensing anymore? Even if its in fucking 2075 or something lol

I'm guessing the answer is, "not if they keep maintaining ownership over them".

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
DO I SEE REVENGE OF DEATH ADDER?! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS?!?!?!?!?

Still want the PCB, instead. No more of this cheap garbage.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Need one ~4x that size :(

How hard is it for one of these companies to offer a semi decent bartop already.

icade was perfect size but a bit pricy considering the build quality and how all the screen/innards was your ipad2 (at the time). Something like that with snes mini level (or a little better so you can emulate CPS3/Dreamcast stuff) innards and cheap TN screen would rock.

Instead we get stuff like this and the neo geo mini, impractical novelties. Or super awesome bartops that are custom made by hand so too expensive or not for sale. Or random chinese stuff you can't trust even if they look cool some times (but also they charge higher prices abroad) :(

Edit: do something like this (the first vid has a cooler cabinet design for my eyes, colors aside, which are also better in this iteration, but it's still better in another design option), single and duo versions with half decent innards and SEGA stylings :eek:

Last edited:
Holy shit PLEASE have the Model 2 and Model 3 games on here. Please also have some NAOMI 2, Hiriku, and Chirico games here too like Planet Harriers.

Would be a must-buy from me in that case!

I don’t know, 36 games is quite a decent amount. There is a chance that we could get titles like Arabian Fight and Burning Rival in there, it can certainly handle up to Model 1 games by the looks of things.

Lol I just thought of that; this prob can't handle Model 2 and upward, can it? Welp, I'm fine as long as they have:

-Outrunners
-Alien 3: The Gun
-F1 Super Lap
-AB Cop
-Galaxy Force II
-Super Monaco GP
-Power Drift
-TecWar (as a bonus for archival purposes; never got released)
-Wing War

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Holy shit PLEASE have the Model 2 and Model 3 games on here. Please also have some NAOMI 2, Hiriku, and Chirico games here too like Planet Harriers.

Would be a must-buy from me in that case!

Lol I just thought of that; this prob can't handle Model 2 and upward, can it? Welp, I'm fine as long as they have:

-Outrunners
-Alien 3: The Gun
-F1 Super Lap
-AB Cop
-Galaxy Force II
-Super Monaco GP
-Power Drift
-TecWar (as a bonus for archival purposes; never got released)
-Wing War

This won't be getting any games that are not basic stick and button input. So don't get your hopes up for anything non Fighting newer than Virtua Fighter.

UnNamed

Banned
I wonder what type of emulator they'll use, but in particular if M2 will work on it.

My dream list is made mostly by racing games, I wouldn't care about using a stick instead of a steering wheel, but I acknowledge this would be a problem and cut any chance to see racing games in the list.

Crew 511A

The arcade version of Shadow Dancer would be nice. What I really want is this compilation on current gen console. A bar top cabinet would be ok.

This...so close, yet still misses the mark of what could be an amazing product. At least Sega is acknowledging some of these games exist, which is a step in the right direction. Can't keep milking Genesis ports forever.

Top Bottom