• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis Mini |OT| SEEEEEEEEEEEGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

lachesis

Went over the FedEx office and picked it up! (Asian Mega Drive) - I chose Asian one that I grew up with the Japanese Mega Drive, and Asian one had most attractive (at least for me) collection of games.

ayBfDh5.jpg

I didn't realize, but PlayAsia included a Sonic Cartridge for free. :) Very nice of them to include it.

9XCWdFd.jpg

These are what came in - but I don't see USB dongle for power up. :( Well, no matter that I have a big USB powered hub just for retro games...

7EVVoTx.jpg

Promptly installed in my basement retro (or retired) setup - made with some cheap Ikea media tv stand, and a left over 42" 1080p TV, with just powered stereo speakers. :D
I ended up just listening the menu music for several minutes! Good stuff.

Now, time for the PC Engine Mini! :D Still torn between which version I want though - I guess as long as it's not TG16 - I'd be okay. ;) I never liked the look of TG 16...

Last edited:

Vitacat

That's really nice, with the 6 button pads and the Sonic cart. Great package. And you have MUSHA installed!

I still actually like my US version with the 3 button pads because that's what I had back in the day, so it's nostalgic for me. But no doubt I'll need to get a 6 button in the future, especially once it's hacked to add more games.

About TG16/PCE Mini -- yeah, I really want one as well. I am torn, because I owned a TG16 back in the day, so that's the nostalgic one for me. But the PCE and Core Grafx are FAR better looking and always were. The TG16 was made bigger for the American market, apparently because they thought we wouldn't buy a small system. It's very unfortunate, because the PCE is probably one of the best looking consoles ever made, and it's compactness is a plus.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
DHL tracking says arrived at Sort Facility here in Sydney, processed and now departed (arrived from Japan). Does that mean it's on its way to me? But it still says estimated delivery Monday. So I'm not sure... :pie_thinking:

Where are they taking it :pie_grinning_sweat:

Does DHL deliver on weekends in Australia? I’ve always found their stated delivery day to be accurate.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Went over the FedEx office and picked it up! (Asian Mega Drive) - I chose Asian one that I grew up with the Japanese Mega Drive, and Asian one had most attractive (at least for me) collection of games.

ayBfDh5.jpg

I didn't realize, but PlayAsia included a Sonic Cartridge for free. :) Very nice of them to include it.

9XCWdFd.jpg

These are what came in - but I don't see USB dongle for power up. :( Well, no matter that I have a big USB powered hub just for retro games...

7EVVoTx.jpg

Promptly installed in my basement retro (or retired) setup - made with some cheap Ikea media tv stand, and a left over 42" 1080p TV, with just powered stereo speakers. :D

Now, time for the PC Engine Mini! :D Still torn between which version I want though - I guess as long as it's not TG16 - I'd be okay. ;) I never liked the look of TG 16...
Man, that Asian packaging is sexy AF. I’m jealous now.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

ayBfDh5.jpg

9XCWdFd.jpg

7EVVoTx.jpg

Those tiny speakers lol

Kazza

I haven't watched any of this chap's videos before, but he seems pretty serious about measuring performance. He said that the mini averages about 4 frames of audio delay and 3-7 frames of overall emulation delay. He said that this is pretty much on par with a raspberry pi.

KellyM

The people who own the Japanese or the Asian version of the Mega Drive Mini, what version of Super Shinobi did they emulate? I believe there are 3 versions of the game, the Original with Rambo, spider-man, and Batman. rev A one with bald Rambo and Spider-man and a character that looks like Devil Man. REV b the Godzilla is a skeleton,

Kazza

Sega Technical Institue's finest! Thanks for the memories.

I'm glad that SoA put a little more effort into that one, but the US manuals on the whole look very underwhelming - mostly very short and all in black and white. The Japanese got a much better deal, as the only manual I noticed that is in black and white is the Road Rash 2 one (damn cheap Americans at it again!). Here's a choice selection from the Japanese manuals, all in beautiful colour:

Comix Zone:

RFLcbRB.jpg

Legend of Oasis:

GOkIyyb.png

Back of the Gunstar Heroes manual:

oyHh2pH.png

It's funny seeing the Japanese-ised westerners of the Japanese SoR2 (I especially like the fire-breathing fat guy):

tb23nMI.jpg

Axe Battler looks a little on the old side in Golden Axe here, although I really like the composition of the picture, with the bad guys cornering our heroes:

AennHTs.jpg

The contents page looks to be more based on the western art for the game:

Wt15TKI.jpg

I really like this illustrated map from Ghouls & Ghosts:

EaOWmkX.jpg

The really went the extra mile with Sonic 2 as well, adding the level concept art. It looks like the designer had a lot of fun making the game. You can already see the infamous Chemical Plant Zone drowning scene taking shape:

84SPI97.png

I end my little selection with my favourite Japanese box art (or in this case the manual cover) - Alisia Dragoon:

z32dXNM.png

There is some great art on display here, and they are well worth looking through (especially those like me who are still waiting for their mini to arrive - I feel like the kid sitting in the back of his parents' car, feverishly reading through the manual as he can't wait to get home and stick his new cartridge in his Megadrive and play :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Last edited:

lachesis

The people who own the Japanese or the Asian version of the Mega Drive Mini, what version of Super Shinobi did they emulate? I believe there are 3 versions of the game, the Original with Rambo, spider-man, and Batman. rev A one with bald Rambo and Spider-man and a character that looks like Devil Man. REV b the Godzilla is a skeleton,

I will play and see what it does. I think I still remember infinite shuriken trick in option - used to beat the original version almost daily basis back in the day, so hopefully I will be able to! :D

Kazza

UK is 24th which is Tuesday.

I am.gutted as I wanted it tomorrow really. :(

You guys will get it as you live near Japan.

Count yourself lucky, according to UPS mine isn't due to arrive until the 30th! I must have cheaped out when selecting the delivery options, as I live in northern China, so the distance from Hong Kong isn't so great. According to the tracking, the package has already reached a city in central China, so I'm hoping it arrives earlier than next-next Monday. Until then, all I can do is look at the Japanese manuals :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

Kazza

ayBfDh5.jpg

9XCWdFd.jpg

7EVVoTx.jpg

According to a review I saw on the Japanese Mini, the six button controllers also include a mode button on the top, is the Asian controller the same? That would be handy, as I don't like the idea of having to hold down the start button every time I want to save or reload.

Pachi72

Alex Kidd was a nice game IMO...But these games should of been replace with these other games.
Space Harrier 2>Revenge of Shinobi
Sonic 1>Sonic 3
Sonic Spinball>Gauntlet 4
Road Rash 2>Rolling Thunder 2
Eternal Champions>Adv Of Batman & Robin
VF2>TMNT Hyperstone Heist
Fantasy Zone>Gaiares
Toe Jam and Earl>Crusader of Centry
Ecco>Rock Knight Adventures.
Show less

lachesis

According to a review I saw on the Japanese Mini, the six button controllers also include a mode button on the top, is the Asian controller the same? That would be handy, as I don't like the idea of having to hold down the start button every time I want to save or reload.

Yes they are the same. It’s a quite nifty feature - quick response as well, so saves a few seconds each time you access state save/load mode. Mode button, seems to be quite tactile - so it requires a bit of force. When 6 button controller came out, I don't think I hardly ever used it for MD... so this 6 button controller is somewhat foreign to me. (I moved onto Saturn on Day1, so my experience with 6 button MD controller is rather limited) - It's quite small for my taste - and I noticed that I've been hitting A button quite a bit while trying to press B button by mistake. I personally prefer 3 button controller for MD... and JP Saturn pad for 6 buttons... but Mode button function is really nice.

I just played Super Shinobi on my Asian MD in Japanese mode - upto spider man / batman boss fight - and I confirm it's the later version... Bold Rambo, Pink Spiderman and devil man. Hasn't gotten to Godzilla yet, but I assume it would be skeleton Godzilla. :( Actually I didn't know different versions existed. Only version that I played long time ago was JP ver Super Shinobi - with all the cameos. Terminator seemed to have stayed the same.

Just realized how hard the game is - I can't believe I used to breeze thru it like a walk in the park back in those days. Had hard time getting the double jumping timing correct for many times. Getting old sucks! LOL...

Last edited:

Xenon

So I was able to spend some time with this. Looks as good as everyone says. Controller feels great, button clicks are loud. My quick thoughts on games.

Sonic the Hedgehog -Still has a special place in my heart got sucked in for a good hour.

Sonic 2 - Great

Contra Hardcorps-wait no health bar? How the fuck did I ever beat this game?

Stryder-This game pushed the old G a bit too hard. It's hard to ignore all the flickering and anomalies.

SoR2 - nuff said

Fantasy Zone - never cared for this back in the day. But I had fun with it. The loud clicking makes enabling rapid fire in the menu is a must.

Darius-Interesting but I really miss the scale of the arcade.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I just played Super Shinobi on my Asian MD in Japanese mode - upto spider man / batman boss fight - and I confirm it's the later version... Bold Rambo, Pink Spiderman and devil man. Hasn't gotten to Godzilla yet, but I assume it would be skeleton Godzilla. :( Actually I didn't know different versions existed. Only version that I played long time ago was JP ver Super Shinobi - with all the cameos. Terminator seemed to have stayed the same.

Just realized how hard the game is - I can't believe I used to breeze thru it like a walk in the park back in those days. Had hard time getting the double jumping timing correct for many times. Getting old sucks! LOL...

Does the cheat for the infinite shurikens still work though?

Kazza

Yes they are the same. It’s a quite nifty feature - quick response as well, so saves a few seconds each time you access state save/load mode. Mode button, seems to be quite tactile - so it requires a bit of force. When 6 button controller came out, I don't think I hardly ever used it for MD... so this 6 button controller is somewhat foreign to me. (I moved onto Saturn on Day1, so my experience with 6 button MD controller is rather limited) - It's quite small for my taste - and I noticed that I've been hitting A button quite a bit while trying to press B button by mistake. I personally prefer 3 button controller for MD... and JP Saturn pad for 6 buttons... but Mode button function is really nice.

Thanks for the confirmation. It's funny that while the NA/EU people complain about the 3 button here we are complaining about the 6 button one :messenger_tears_of_joy: . I've heard that the Asian 6 button controller was even smaller than the western 6 button, which in turn, of course, was smaller than the original 3 button. Still, at least the inclusion of a mode button makes me feel a bit better about it (strange they couldn't include a mode button into the 3 button though).

I always expected the newer Revenge of Shinobi. If/when this thing gets hacked, I will replace the ROM with the original, as that's the one I originally played. I played it again on the Xbox 360 collection a couple of years back, and it's definitely a challenging game. I oscillate between thinking which of Revenge or 3 is the better game. 3 is faster and easier, but Revenge seems a little more tightly designed. Both are great though (Shadow Dancer is great two, although I don't think it reaches the heights of the other two).

Kazza

Don't forget that you can use that "high jump" ninja magic it you feel your old man reflexes aren't up to double jumping anymore :messenger_beaming:

lachesis

Don't forget that you can use that "high jump" ninja magic it you feel your old man reflexes aren't up to double jumping anymore :messenger_beaming:

LOL, too busy getting hit by all those crazy jumping nuns/KunoichiI in red leotard - had to resort to the old lightening shield most of the time to survive! (only to fall on waterfalls and gaps on 2nd stage and on.)

I felt so small and not worthy, that I was saving every few steps, on EASY mode, infinite Shurikin (yes, it's spelled that way in JP ver for some reason) - and I am genuinely afraid to even start Contra Hard Corps or Gunstar Heroes. ;)

lachesis

Thanks for the confirmation. It's funny that while the NA/EU people complain about the 3 button here we are complaining about the 6 button one :messenger_tears_of_joy: . I've heard that the Asian 6 button controller was even smaller than the western 6 button, which in turn, of course, was smaller than the original 3 button. Still, at least the inclusion of a mode button makes me feel a bit better about it (strange they couldn't include a mode button into the 3 button though).

I always expected the newer Revenge of Shinobi. If/when this thing gets hacked, I will replace the ROM with the original, as that's the one I originally played. I played it again on the Xbox 360 collection a couple of years back, and it's definitely a challenging game. I oscillate between thinking which of Revenge or 3 is the better game. 3 is faster and easier, but Revenge seems a little more tightly designed. Both are great though (Shadow Dancer is great two, although I don't think it reaches the heights of the other two).

rZzPfdS.jpg

You are definitely correct. I didn't even know that US 6 button controllers are larger. No wonder it felt so weird. LOL...
I do have a 8bitdo M30 controller somewhere in the drawer - I may hook it up. I liked the size of it. Mine is a blue tooth though - hopefully maybe I can still play it with USB cord (without buying a blue tooth dongle)

Kazza

LOL, too busy getting hit by all those crazy jumping nuns/KunoichiI in red leotard - had to resort to the old lightening shield most of the time to survive! (only to fall on waterfalls and gaps on 2nd stage and on.)

I felt so small and not worthy, that I was saving every few steps, on EASY mode, infinite Shurikin (yes, it's spelled that way in JP ver for some reason) - and I am genuinely afraid to even start Contra Hard Corps or Gunstar Heroes. ;)

That's the problem with having easy access to saves via a mode button - the temptation for save scumming. I tend to restrict myself to only saving at the beginning of sections, otherwise I can become a little too OCD.

rZzPfdS.jpg

You are definitely correct. I didn't even know that US 6 button controllers are larger. No wonder it felt so weird. LOL...
I do have a 8bitdo M30 controller somewhere in the drawer - I may hook it up. I liked the size of it. Mine is a blue tooth though - hopefully maybe I can still play it with USB cord (without buying a blue tooth dongle)

Good to have it confirmed. At least it looks as though the d-pad and buttons are the same size. I'll have to see how it feels in my chimp hands once mine arrives.

Hudo

I am kind of in a dilemma. I don't know whether to sink my time into playing Romancing Saga 2 (I like Akitoshi Kawazu's unconventional gameplay mechanics, even if some are infuriating or cryptic. But I've only played the GameBoy games (aka. the FF Legends games)) or into Phantasy Star IV (provided by the Mega Drive Mini). I have never played a Phantasy Star game, btw.

JohannCK

The Mega Drive/Genesis Mini lost the best hardware awards to the new Xbox controller of all things at E3 and Gamescom, but it's been nominated again in the Golden Joystick Awards. Just saying.

(It's going up against that controller again though so fat chance I guess)

Last edited:
I am kind of in a dilemma. I don't know whether to sink my time into playing Romancing Saga 2 (I like Akitoshi Kawazu's unconventional gameplay mechanics, even if some are infuriating or cryptic. But I've only played the GameBoy games (aka. the FF Legends games)) or into Phantasy Star IV (provided by the Mega Drive Mini). I have never played a Phantasy Star game, btw.

4 is amazing! Holds up really well and is pretty nippy with the Battle UI. You can even make macros for your attacks so you cam breeze through easier battles if you wamt to!!!

4th October mate. Don't make plans for Tuesday okay?

I am no longer working so that will be easy! :LOL:

What? The Mini was underclocked by SEGA and they had no reason to do that? Sounds like Typical SEGA to me.

Last edited:
Is it possible they didn't want to exceed a specific power consumption digit?

You mean like this?

5PTVv57.gif

Edit: from that Reddit EightBit Man has done.

"Fun fact: The PAL version cannot access the US region version of the games, only the JP and EU versions."

That confirms that the EU Version is inferior if it means PAL speeds.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: TLZ
"Fun fact: The PAL version cannot access the US region version of the games, only the JP and EU versions."

That confirms that the EU Version is inferior if it means PAL speeds.

Don't worry, all the games run at 60fps on the EU version. ;)

The reason why we didn't get the US version of Contra or Castlevania is because there's only one English language option. On the other hand, US gamers can play Probotector in any other language than English. In Europe we have the option to play the Japanese equivalent of these games.

Stryder-This game pushed the old G a bit too hard. It's hard to ignore all the flickering and anomalies.

Wouldn't say it "pushed" it; Alien Soldier's more graphically intensive by a fair margin and the Gen had no problems running that. More the issue of the port probably being a really early one and probably rushed for its release in time.

Welp, I'll be joining in on the fun this next weekend (unless they screw up the shipping somehow).

Would anyone really call Dynamite Headdy 'LEGENDARY'?

If by legendary you mean super well-know, then no. But in terms of being one of the stronger platformers of that gen (regardless of platform)? Definitely. The game's got style and charm like few others and plays great to boot. Classic Treasure wackiness.

Last edited:

Vitacat

I tried the other day. It doesn’t work, sadly.

Any reason to pick up an Asian or Euro version in addition to the the US version I'm going to get?

Asian Verison has different games. Including a few that did come out in the US such as Target Earth and MUSHA.

Hoping the hack means I can get Cotton, Pulseman, Rocket Knight and perhaps Ranger X on there.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Will be interested to see what its like with edit on the clock speed and being able to add more games...ie why not put all 3 Golden Axe's on there instead of just the one..

Top Bottom