• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis Mini |OT| SEEEEEEEEEEEGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I sometimes wonder whether or not kids have the same experience today. With a pretty much unlimited supply of games and TV available at the click of the button, do they ever get the chance to get obsessed with one single movie/game/book, or do they just keep moving on to the newest thing? Sometimes boredom can really spark creativity.
You do have to tell them to "put down the cellphones", so to speak, and encourage them to focus on one thing. With my older two kids, so far I've had to literally sit them down and explain how to focus, how to tune out distractions, and how to get a task done quickly. "Diligence" is not something they seem to be learning from their natural environment (which encourages jumping from thing to thing, like you said).

On the plus side, kids seem far more tolerant and capable of task-switching without getting too emotionally invested (at least from my anecdotal perspective).

Did you order directly from Amazon jp? When I try that it doesn't allow me and says they wouldn't deliver. Something to do with having to use our own Amazon au and checking the international stuff on there.

Only Amazon US works for me out of them all.

I made another account specifically for Amazon JP but it does ship internationally from what I read.

Reactions: TLZ

Rockman

I managed to get one of the few a local Target had in stock. Pretty sure the remaining 4 are gone by now. Super excited to play it this weekend.

bronk

Banned
w3nUHhv.jpg

Just got mine. The fact that there are paid reviewers who wrote that somehow the Genesis Mini's build is less sturdy/lower quality than the SNES Classic makes me realize that Nintendo Derangement syndrome is really a thing, isn't it? This console is pure, pure class. Haven't played it yet, though.

This is why there's only a very small handful of Youtube retro people I even bother with. Sega Lord X, SpawnWave, RGT 85, RetroPals, Darx's Digital Foundry contributions (and a few others)...same goes with streamers. There's a certain "air" the NDS ones give off that just lets you know they're gonna shill Nintendo retro and bash all other retro.

It's like they're reliving the 16-bit console war out as grown-ass adults, it's embarrassing and if they were actual Nintendo fans they wouldn't be bashing non-Nintendo retro stuff in the first place!

Well anyway...gonna put my order in for mine today. It probably won't get here 'till next week but I'll be looking forward to it with bated breath, just like how I get when I'm looking at those fine, thick SFV girlies ;)

JohannCK

Yeah, the Tower has some bonus stuff with tons of love poured in. You also get a poster and the original blueprints for the Megadrive and peripherals, all in a Sega Enterprises envelope (they changed their name from that to Sega K.K. in 2000) with a postal code with boxes for five digits (phased out in the late 90s)

Last edited:

Vitacat

Mine arrived. No time to try it, but the box is really nice. Having some serious 90’s flashbacks. I loved the Genesis so much. At various times I owned the Genesis 1, 2, CD, CDX, and Nomad. Sadly sold them all, and yes I often regret it.

Reactions: TLZ

Komatsu

Is it just me, or does the Sega CEO look super-young? Is it a family thing, or is he just super smart?

Maybe he's 50+ years old and it's just those Japanese genes doing their thing.

This is Haruki Satomi, son of Hajime Satomi, the founder of Sammy. He's the youngest SEGA CEO since David Rosen was driving around Japan selling cabinets in the 1950s..

petran79

Banned
I was under the impression that one of the reasons homebrew emulators take such long time to develop is that the authors don't have the "schematics" of the consoles they want to emulate. They don't know how the console works, it's ins and outs. They have to figure everything out themselves as they go. I'm sure that Sega, Sony and Nintendo don't have this issue. They created these consoles, i assume they have all the information they need?

Also, homebrew authors have another major problem that slows them down. It's called "real life". How many times have you seen development slowing down or being halted for a long time because of that? And how much time per day or days per week can a hobbyist dedicate for such project anyway? Unless they are unemployed i don't see how they can compete with the programmers at Sega, Nintendo and Sony. Because the latter don't have that problem either. Since they are employed to make these emulators it means said emulators are their real 9/5 job or, in other words, their real life.

I understand that a homebrew emulator is a passion project and authors may care more about them compared to someone who is just doing his job and gets paid. But it's up to Nintendo, Sony or Sega to make sure the job is done as it should. Didn't they notice the sound lag? Or the bad sound emulation in Comix Zone that they are selling? Didn't Sony noticed all the glaring issues of their mini console? Ofc they did. But they make these for the average joe, not enthusiasts. And they know the average joe won't care that much so they don't care either. They want to keep the price low as well so no need to pay the programmers an extra day or two to fix something subtle. That's the issue IMO, it's not about time. And that's why i never support these official offers. I mean, even the services they had before the minis were bad enough. Nintendo's VC clearly shows they don't care, they just want to have a quick buck from all this Retro/Nostalgia thing.

Posted it on reddit emulation. Thread got deleted for no reason and I hadn't noticed till much later, sent a message to the mods there to restore it and fortunately they listened. Or else it could have even more answers. Last time I create thread on reddit.

Vitacat

Well, for anyone who cares... I opened mine, hooked it up to a Sony CRT with HDMI input, and played a few games.

:) I LOVE IT.

Yeah, I have a dozen other ways to emulate these games, but something about having official Sega made mini casing, and the pretty nice retro controllers makes it feel special. Emulation seems great, certainly plenty good enough to feel authentic. I’m sure there are hairs to split, but Sega did a nice job overall.

Also, let the menu run and it starts running demos of games. It’s pretty nice and slick how it does it.

Now, I have 2 hopes for the future of this thing:

1) Hack it to add more games. Probably inevitable this will happen. Hopefully soon. We need Sonic 3 etc. on this.
2) Use my 8bitDo m30 with it. I think this may already be planned.

Last edited:

Kazza

If it becomes possible to add or inject the software that's on the other regions' console (like The Revenge of Shinobi), I might actually consider tampering with the console.

This is what I'm thinking right now (although I'll be wanting to add Shinobi 3 to my Asian version). Since M2 have already designed the emulator to run those games, adding them shouldn't cause any problems. While I'd love to add other games not included in any region's mini, I'm afraid the emulation won't be up to scratch.

This is what I'm thinking right now (although I'll be wanting to add Shinobi 3 to my Asian version). Since M2 have already designed the emulator to run those games, adding them shouldn't cause any problems. While I'd love to add other games not included in any region's mini, I'm afraid the emulation won't be up to scratch.

Precisely. It's safe to assume the games included on the systems were thoroughly playtested and maybe even adjusted to run properly through emulation. Like to keep it as "official" as possible.

Crew 511A

Got mine tonight. So far I played Thunder Force 3 and SF2 SCE, two games I played religiously back in the day. I haven't noticed any lag either in sound or input. I bought 2 of the Retrobit 6 button + shoulder button controller, and it plays great.

In terms of the "We can play these games a thousand different ways" argument, if that's your mindset, this product isn't for you. Nostalgia is the name of the game and Sega finally nailed it, IMO.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell why does Sonic 2 have a line at the bottom of the first zone? It's like I'm playing it on the SNES Classic again. Changing resolutions did nothing to help.
Apparently it shows up in the original version but I've never seen that before with my cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Komatsu

The Genesis Mini website has links to all the manuals:

While this is cool, I don't see why they couldn't just include this on the Mini itself.

Did anybody ever actually write their high scores in these scorebooks at the end of the manuals? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

RYaudhH.png

Can anybody think of a better manual than the Comix Zone one, which included a small comic?

6Dh9Az8.png

Sega Technical Institue's finest! Thanks for the memories.

What the hell why does Sonic 2 have a line at the bottom of the first zone? It's like I'm playing it on the SNES Classic again. Changing resolutions did nothing to help.
Apparently it shows up in the original version but I've never seen that before with my cartridge.

Could be a display error that SEGA forgot to correct but PAL games did have borders above and below the screen due to having a smaller resolution but I feel nostalgic for those.

Like the NES and SNES classic there is a noticeable input lag. That's a shame. The original hardware will still feel better. It's the biggest problem of the mini according to John.

KellyM

I received my Sega Genesis mini. It is great and I love you can play different versions of the games from different regions. When it is hacked I hope they somehow allow you to do that with other games.

TLZ

Banned
DHL tracking says arrived at Sort Facility here in Sydney, processed and now departed (arrived from Japan). Does that mean it's on its way to me? But it still says estimated delivery Monday. So I'm not sure... :pie_thinking:

Where are they taking it :pie_grinning_sweat:

DHL tracking says arrived at Sort Facility here in Sydney, processed and now departed (arrived from Japan). Does that mean it's on its way to me? But it still says estimated delivery Monday. So I'm not sure... :pie_thinking:

Where are they taking it :pie_grinning_sweat:

Had similar experiences with the DHL. One time a delivery went from sorting center to sorting center while it was actually close to the delivery address. I hope you'll get yours soon!

Top Bottom