• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Club, Game 1: Streets of Rage 2

Which Game Should We Start The Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Club With?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soodanim

Here's a more recent one I randomly found. There's older ones too. The guy focuses on atomic drops and that shoulder charge.

First and foremost, skill aside, his willingness to use specials a freedom that I cannot relate to. I got better in 4 with the recovery mechanic, but in 2 I just haven’t traditionally had that mindset to use it. Or when I did, not quickly enough.

I’d like to take a moment to say: fuck the bird named Muay Thai bastards.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My son and i played through this last week. The characters move too slowly in the first one which is kinda fixed in the second. Everything feels right. I don't really enjoy most beat em ups but i'm glad we credit-fed through this and had a fun afternoon together. Music is still top-tier.

sol_bad

It's pretty crazy what sort of upgrade SoR2 is over the first game. SoR1 really does feel like a Master System game in comparison.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's pretty crazy what sort of upgrade SoR2 is over the first game. SoR1 really does feel like a Master System game in comparison.
Everyone raved about the first game. Aside from the music I thought it was dog shit. Looked bad, crap gameplay, the most scratchy throat voices ever. It was like Sega rushed this to market asap to contend with Final Fight.

But they must have had SoR2 in the backburner because it came out only a year later. Development back then was quicker, but I don't see how Sega could make SoR 2 in only a year. Who knows.

16 meg game. First game was I think only 4 megs.

Megs made a big difference back then. The vast majority of games at 4 meg were shallow. Once most Genesis games were 8 megs, the quality jumped. And any Genesis or SNES game at 16 meg or larger were like in a different stratosphere.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Everyone raved about the first game. Aside from the music I thought it was dog shit. Looked bad, crap gameplay, the most scratchy throat voices ever. It was like Sega rushed this to market asap to contend with Final Fight.

But they must have had SoR2 in the backburner because it came out only a year later. Development back then was quicker, but I don't see how Sega could make SoR 2 in only a year. Who knows.

Megs made a big difference back then. The vast majority of games at 4 meg were shallow. Once most Genesis games were 8 megs, the quality jumped. And any Genesis or SNES game at 16 meg or larger were like in a different stratosphere.

When I got SoR1 as a present, I was massively disappointed. I honestly thought it was the same game as Final Fight. I had only played Final Fight once at the arcades and couldn't remember it's name. Asked for SoR1 for my Christmas present.

mansoor1980

even back then in 1993 i knew SOR2 was special ................the third one was disappointing...............although it had better controls............cant hate on the first one as it introduced me to the sega megadrive

Faithless83

Banned
Will there be a Month 2?
Sadly I'm really busy at work lately and will still be for the next couple of days or so.
I have yet to know the process that was done on the second month of the SNES Club.

Feel free to add suggestions and sorry for failing on maintaining the fist month properly.
It feels like I've been through hell and back twice already. :messenger_anxious:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sadly I'm really busy at work lately and will still be for the next couple of days or so.
I have yet to know the process that was done on the second month of the SNES Club.

Feel free to add suggestions and sorry for failing on maintaining the fist month properly.
It feels like I've been through hell and back twice already. :messenger_anxious:
The second-highest voted game last month was Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

We could roll (heh, get it?) with that as long as everyone agrees.

Faithless83

Banned
The second-highest voted game last month was Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

We could roll (heh, get it?) with that as long as everyone agrees.

My initial thought was to keep the second and third places on the next poll and rotate the others.
So the list would include Sonic 2, Shinning Force 2 and three new games.
But whatever sounds best to everyone.

Last edited:

Tuff McNutt

Certainly 2 is better than 1, but 1 is by no means a bad game. There were a lot of garbage tier beat em ups out and SOR1 is way above them. Preferences are personal of course, but I think the SNES version of Final Fight is not as good as SOR1. Only 2 characters, no 2 player simultaneous, more limited moveset, censorship, etc. Now if you're comparing SOR1 with the arcade or Sega CD version of Final Fight, then FF is the better game. Especially the SCD version, even though the graphics aren't as good as the arcade, the added voice and remixed music added a lot IMO.

As for SOR2, I love the game and don't even know the number of times I've beat it. I usually use Blaze and honestly have only played with Skate a handful of times, I think the character and it's design is dumb IMO and they should have stuck with Axel, who was my main in SOR1.

If you guys are into ROM hacks at all, there are a ton out for SOR2. My favorite is Syndicate Wars, which has most of the characters from the first 2 games as playable. There are also lots of hacks that import characters form other games like The Simpsons, WWF Wrestlemania, TMNT, etc.

Top Bottom