• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA confirms deal with Microsoft won't lead to Xbox exclusives

Topher

Gold Member
Should be noted that Sega emphasized this would not lead to exclusives for "Microsoft", not just Xbox.

"About this, we are not talking about releasing games to Microsoft exclusively, but rather to develop Super Game that will be delivered to the world together, with their technical support."

Delivering this game "to the world", to me, implies this will be fully multi-platform.

SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Reaction GIF by E!

"Alliance"

I guarantee Microsoft will be getting some big Sega IP to use as part of Game Pass day one launches and exclusives as part of the cloud, consoles and PC.

200.gif

Last edited:

Fbh

Good.
But at least it will probably ensure they have a good relationship with MS, which is good for Xbox.
One of the main things keeping me from seriously considering getting a Series X instead of a ps5 is that I'm more confident in Playstation getting continuous support from Japanese devs.

cireza

Banned
As expected (and as I was saying the previous thread), this will definitely lead to more SEGA games on PC/Xbox, but certainly not in less games on other platforms. Common sense.

Ozriel

M$FT
MS doesn’t really need exclusivity from SEGA. Just having all multiplatform games (including Altus games) coming to xbox would be a great improvement over last gen. Especially if they can get some into Gamepass.

Neofire

Sega would be stupid to tie their games only to Xbox considering it's performance in Japan mainly and where it's source of revenue dealing with it's gaming IPs come from. Which is Nintendo and Sony.

Should be noted that Sega emphasized this would not lead to exclusives for "Microsoft", not just Xbox.

"About this, we are not talking about releasing games to Microsoft exclusively, but rather to develop Super Game that will be delivered to the world together, with their technical support."

Delivering this game "to the world", to me, implies this will be fully multi-platform.

200.gif

What is this meant to prove exactly? You guys said it had nothing to do with Xbox at all, not that it somehow only meant there would never be any Xbox exclusives. Don't try to turn your L into a W by moving away from what you guys actually said. People weren't just saying that this automatically meant Xbox would get Sega exclusives alone. We also clearly pointed to the fact that Sarah Bond = Game Pass, and I, and others, were right.

And read part of my statement lol.

"I guarantee Microsoft will be getting some big Sega IP to use as part of Game Pass day one launches"

Sega announced Total War is launching on Game Pass on PC Day One. That's one of their biggest IP by far.

So uhh where was I wrong? I notice not too many people are quoting my Sarah Bond and Game Pass comments today, I wonder why? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Topher

Gold Member
What is this meant to prove exactly? You guys said it had nothing to do with Xbox at all, not that it somehow only meant there would never be any Xbox exclusives. Don't try to turn your L into a W by moving away from what you guys actually said. People weren't just saying that this automatically meant Xbox would get Sega exclusives alone. We also clearly pointed to the fact that Sarah Bond = Game Pass, and I, and others, were right.

And read part of my statement lol.

"I guarantee Microsoft will be getting some big Sega IP to use as part of Game Pass day one launches"

Sega announced Total War is launching on Game Pass on PC Day One. That's one of their biggest IP by far.

So uhh where was I wrong? I notice not too many people are quoting my Sarah Bond and Game Pass comments today, I wonder why? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Microsoft will be getting some big Sega IP to use as part of Game Pass day one launches and exclusives as part of the cloud, consoles and PC."

Cracking Up Lol GIF

You blatantly cut out the part where you said Microsoft would be getting exclusives. I wonder why? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
So they're only saying THIS deal won't lead to Xbox exclusives...

I guess we'll have to wait until next Wednesday's announcement to hear about the deal that will lead to exclusives.

Klayzer

"Microsoft will be getting some big Sega IP to use as part of Game Pass day one launches and exclusives as part of the cloud, consoles and PC."

Cracking Up Lol GIF

You blatantly cut out the part where you said Microsoft would be getting exclusives. I wonder why? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Lol. That's my favorite part of his response.

jakinov

weird how it doesn't lead to exclusives. doesn't every body remember how the OEM deals with Windows Phone and Windows PC with Sony led to PlayStation exclusives on Xbox.

SEGA's new cloud deal with Microsoft won't lead to Xbox exclusives, the company has confirmed in a new earnings brief report.

SEGA wants to use Microsoft's Azure servers to power its new games-as-a-service initiative. SEGA confirms these games won't be Xbox exclusives.

A bit ago, SEGA confirmed it was negotiating a deal with Microsoft to use Azure to host, deploy, and even develop its most ambitious games. SEGA wants to create a whole new type of game called Super Games, which are huge sprawling live service titles similar to Phantasy Star Online. It wants to have multiple Super Games on the market by 2030; SEGA defines Super Games as large online titles that serve worldwide markets and make $800 million - $1 billion in lifetime revenue.

dNC31m2.jpg

SEGA needs servers to make this happen. So naturally they teamed up with Microsoft. After all, Phantasy Star Online 2 is already powered by Azure and SEGA wants its future games to also use the potent cloud network. SEGA will spend up to $880 million on the development of its new Super Games.

The news kicked off lots of speculation about a Microsoft buyout of SEGA or more exclusives. Neither is happening.

SEGA today announced that this strategic partnership won't lead to Xbox exclusives. Right now SEGA wants to diversify its market reach and release its games to as many countries as possible. The thought is that using digital games will reach far more players than physical releases.

We have also announced the start of a strategic alliance with Microsoft to create Super Games, towards the creation of Super Game which we are aiming in long-term strategy.

We already have a very close business relationship with Microsoft. We outsourced the development of their large-scale titles and as a third party, we are supplying a variety of titles. When we announced the concept of Super Game, Microsoft was sympathetic to that vision and that leads to the announcement this time.

About this, we are not talking about releasing games to Microsoft exclusively, but rather to develop Super Game that will be delivered to the world together, with their technical support.

7jHm8ZG.jpg

Source: Tweak Town
It never did, it was pure an Azure deal. Xboxfans hoped it was...but it clearly is not...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, maybe this was the MS-Sega deal the whole time. Back end cloud service.

Some guy working at one of the head offices heard a rumour of both companies getting together and he assumed and leaked to the net hinting it's an acquisition.

Turns out it's cloud. No different than Sega signing up for MS Office licenses per user. Cloud is just another MS service.

yurinka

what the fuck is a super game?
Seems Sega's definition of a multiplatform AAA MP GaaS game which targets a global market instead of a specific country or region.

MS doesn’t really need exclusivity from SEGA. Just having all multiplatform games (including Altus games) coming to xbox would be a great improvement over last gen. Especially if they can get some into Gamepass.
As part of their plans to grow, Sega said they will bet harder on multiplatform games so I think it means that at least some series that previously were PS or Nintendo exclusives now will be multiplatform since day one, which I assume it means they will be released in Xbox too. I assume it will be with new games but also ports/compilations/remasters/reboots/remakes of old games, since they also plan to push their main currently active main series plus to bring back dormant IPs in many ways.

They also plan to bet harder on subscriptions. So I assume it means we'll see more cases on GP like these recently announced ones or the ones with Sony like the recent Virtua Fighter, which was there day one too.

Last edited:
Well, whatever. Egg on my face, IDC.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I just hope we get more new releases in classic IP from them, preferably AA/AAA. PD Saga remake with a real budget, a new Skies of Arcadia, new Crazy Taxi, bring back Fighting Vipers/Fighters Megamix etc.

I didn't and still don't think Sega would support those games internally on their own without partnering with a platform holder, which is why I though this deal could've opened the door to those games coming about via working alongside Microsoft.

As-is it's a missed opportunity on Microsoft's part, especially if Sega decides to go to Sony and/or Nintendo to make those games happen, but it'll only be a missed opportunity for Sega if they simply don't pursue making those games at all.

So...I'm hoping their "Super Game" initiative will actually bring about some of these games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Blatantly obvious to everyone with the exception of a small number of optimistic cheerleaders.
If Sega really wanted to give xbox an exclusive game, they would have released persona on gamepass or Xbox. After that, would Xbox get any exclusive.

But when a branch of that studio is actively ignoring your console, your chance of getting exclusive from them is 0.

kingfey

Banned
Well, whatever. Egg on my face, IDC.

I just hope we get more new releases in classic IP from them, preferably AA/AAA. PD Saga remake with a real budget, a new Skies of Arcadia, new Crazy Taxi, bring back Fighting Vipers/Fighters Megamix etc.

I didn't and still don't think Sega would support those games internally on their own without partnering with a platform holder, which is why I though this deal could've opened the door to those games coming about via working alongside Microsoft.

As-is it's a missed opportunity on Microsoft's part, especially if Sega decides to go to Sony and/or Nintendo to make those games happen, but it'll only be a missed opportunity for Sega if they simply don't pursue making those games at all.

So...I'm hoping their "Super Game" initiative will actually bring about some of these games.
Ms doesn't need any exclusive from Sega.

They need to rebuild their library. They are sitting on a gold mine of treasures, and they are actively ignoring that.

If MS is very serious about this exclusive stats, bring those games back, and leave 3rd party games alone.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Yea, try not to make too big a fool of yourself now. You're ignoring all other posts in that thread that were specifically about Game Pass. I wonder why? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Also, why did you try to diminish the game pass portion of that statement? Could it be because of these posts from that original sega thread.

As I said, take your L.

This is not the same. This goes a bit further than that. Sony said nothing about seemingly allowing some kind of "IP Utilization"

This screams major Game Pass partnerships. Sony's deal did not signal any such thing, just that Sony would be using Azure to improve their services. This Sega announcement goes a bit further.

You can have your own interpretation, I will gladly have mine. And the Sarah Bond involvement speaks volumes if you know what her strategic role and purpose is within Microsoft. This directly means big things coming to Game Pass from Sega.

It's about building games, but it has literally nothing to do with Microsoft's games division? Did you even read what the hell you just said? Sarah Bond is an important and dead giveaway here.

eGXKkMg.png

Sarah Bond means Xbox + Games, but most especially, Game Pass.

Sarah Bond was a very important piece of the Bethesda deal also, and is directly tied in to Xbox. If anyone believes that she is presented as having a major role in this deal, and it has nothing to do with Xbox at all, despite her role in the Bethesda acquisition round table, and despite her role at the Xbox & Bethesda showcase for E3, and despite all else she has been demonstrated to be apart of relating to Xbox and Series X, and that whole shabang prior to lauch and since, I have a bridge to sell you.

The language in this release goes quite a bit further. It's very much about building games with Microsoft cloud technologies, but if you seriously think there won't be any benefit at all to this alliance as they call it for Game Pass and Xbox, then I guess prepare to be surprised. They leaned a lot heavier into this one than was the case with that Microsoft and Sony deal. And, I'll say again, Sarah Bond is a dead giveaway.

Take this L. You all said the deal had nothing to do with Xbox at all. I stressed that it did. Get over here.

dave chappelle slap GIF

Goalus

It will lead to Game Pass day 1 AAA games.
That's the difference between MS and Sony.
MS are adding value for their users without f*cking the other platforms. In the long run this will work to their (and Xbox users') benefit.

Last edited:

Barakov

SEGA's new cloud deal with Microsoft won't lead to Xbox exclusives, the company has confirmed in a new earnings brief report.

SEGA wants to use Microsoft's Azure servers to power its new games-as-a-service initiative. SEGA confirms these games won't be Xbox exclusives.

A bit ago, SEGA confirmed it was negotiating a deal with Microsoft to use Azure to host, deploy, and even develop its most ambitious games. SEGA wants to create a whole new type of game called Super Games, which are huge sprawling live service titles similar to Phantasy Star Online. It wants to have multiple Super Games on the market by 2030; SEGA defines Super Games as large online titles that serve worldwide markets and make $800 million - $1 billion in lifetime revenue.

dNC31m2.jpg

SEGA needs servers to make this happen. So naturally they teamed up with Microsoft. After all, Phantasy Star Online 2 is already powered by Azure and SEGA wants its future games to also use the potent cloud network. SEGA will spend up to $880 million on the development of its new Super Games.

The news kicked off lots of speculation about a Microsoft buyout of SEGA or more exclusives. Neither is happening.

SEGA today announced that this strategic partnership won't lead to Xbox exclusives. Right now SEGA wants to diversify its market reach and release its games to as many countries as possible. The thought is that using digital games will reach far more players than physical releases.

We have also announced the start of a strategic alliance with Microsoft to create Super Games, towards the creation of Super Game which we are aiming in long-term strategy.

We already have a very close business relationship with Microsoft. We outsourced the development of their large-scale titles and as a third party, we are supplying a variety of titles. When we announced the concept of Super Game, Microsoft was sympathetic to that vision and that leads to the announcement this time.

About this, we are not talking about releasing games to Microsoft exclusively, but rather to develop Super Game that will be delivered to the world together, with their technical support.

7jHm8ZG.jpg

Source: Tweak Town

oGHY4fs.gif

Yea, try not to make too big a fool of yourself now. You're ignoring all other posts in that thread that were specifically about Game Pass. I wonder why? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Also, why did you try to diminish the game pass portion of that statement? Could it be because of these posts from that original sega thread.

As I said, take your L.

Take this L. You all said the deal had nothing to do with Xbox at all. I stressed that it did. Get over here.

dave chappelle slap GIF

With every L this green rat only grows stronger

AlexxKidd

As I said, take your L.

dave chappelle slap GIF

Take this, king. You've earned it.

350Wx350H-192708-0320-px.jpg

kingfey

Banned

As I said, take your L.

dave chappelle slap GIF

Whats That Look Over There GIF by BLoafX

Stop it. What the hell is this L you are talking about?
Man, stop that Twitter talk.

kingfey

Banned
Also, he got clowned for being a typical overzealous fanboy. Now, he's conveniently wants to move goalposts with the letter L for some strange reason.
The moment he typed L, he lost his argument. you dont say these words, when you are arguing with someone. You are giving him the advantage to win the argument against you.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Sega needs to make all of their games multi-plat. As it has been for the last 20 years, you have to own everything to play their full output.

Top Bottom