• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces Game Gear Micro

Imagining a bunch of midgets having a blast with preordering this right now.

bncWRdv.jpg

He is surely enjoying himself at this news.

I am guessing the GGs are in "Short Supply".

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Seems rather pointless...at least make a 4" screen in a 5" form factor
Or make a dreamcast mini
Or a saturn mini
Or dont do anything 🤷‍♀️
Agreed. We need a mini Saturn and/or mini Dreamcast. The GameGear was nice and I enjoyed the original (despite having gone through two with defective backlighting and finally finding the right one with my third). Have you read the dimensions on this thing? It's a bloody playing card.

BlackTron

I love the Game Gear and still have an old one someplace, but I just have no interest in this. It's WAY too small. They proportioned it to the Genesis mini? Isn't that a pretty dumb way to decide the size and shape of a handheld? There's a reason the Genesis controllers didn't shrink to the same proportion as the mini console.

Maybe if it had space for more games and was 2-3 times bigger.

scalman

Size ok all could be kinda ok if it wouldnt have screen. But how you look at it how? 1.5 inch screen , how that works? Imagine your eyes leaking out after some time looking at it.

4 games on it, are you kidding me.

How much does this thing cost? If it's anything over $10 I'll laugh my ass off.

4980 yen for a keychan console? I didn't know inflation was that bad.

Damn near $50? Have they gone insane?!? :pie_roffles:

Your regular reminder that GAF isn't Japan:

They obviously know their market.

Welp, props to SEGA for knowing their market for this. It's DEFINITELY not for me, guess we just gotta wait longer for a Saturn or Dreamcast Mini.

Last edited:
How much does this thing cost? If it's anything over $10 I'll laugh my ass off.

Damn near $50? Have they gone insane?!? :pie_roffles:

Welp, props to SEGA for knowing their market for this. It's DEFINITELY not for me, guess we just gotta wait longer for a Saturn or Dreamcast Mini.

Probably going to make bank on that niche over there to treat us to a TRUE Master System/Game Gear Mini.

BELIEVE!

StormCell

I would be on board with this IF... it could be put on a keychain AND if I could program it to act as my car's key (unlock, start). For $100 that's a pretty damn cool thing to have on a keychain.

TheMan

i just don't get why they made it so ergonomically unfriendly like this. I guess they see it is a novelty gag and nothing more.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

I pre-ordered one at Amazon.co.jp shipping costs are rediculus after or with corona. At least I can't remember paying this much when I ordered games there last time.

It's for fun and for my collection.

JohannCK

i just don't get why they made it so ergonomically unfriendly like this. I guess they see it is a novelty gag and nothing more.
Yeah, the devs pretty much said that the GG Micro is meant to be a novelty as opposed to the MD Mini being a real console.

They did also say that they've been looking into the ergonomics of the buttons and display and had older people playtest it to see if it's actually playable though.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Funny thing is, when this thread was first posted...nearly everyone was skeptic. We saw the photos, the dimensions, the miserable 4-games/$45 and just assumed this was a hoax. Now, it seems to have blown up all over the web (not just GAF). I haven't seen a positive take on this because it sucks. Of all the things Sega could have done...why is it a Game Gear emulator the size of a credit card?

Kazza

Funny thing is, when this thread was first posted...nearly everyone was skeptic. We saw the photos, the dimensions, the miserable 4-games/$45 and just assumed this was a hoax. Now, it seems to have blown up all over the web (not just GAF). I haven't seen a positive take on this because it sucks. Of all the things Sega could have done...why is it a Game Gear emulator the size of a credit card?

Look at the post directly above you - this is just a novelty toy for the Japanese market, it was never meant to be some big thing and Sega never hyped it as such. I doubt this is distracting them from other projects.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Look at the post directly above you - this is just a novelty toy for the Japanese market, it was never meant to be some big thing and Sega never hyped it as such. I doubt this is distracting them from other projects.
I would have liked it they just released the original Game Gear again with some upscaling and a better monitor. I'd prefer to buy the carts back than to have an emulator. The Game Gears I owned had no region locking. I had a bunch of Japanese games on mine which didn't make it to the U.S.

Seems to me to produce it as a novelty is inexpensive. Many are still going to buy this, regardless.

Kazza

I would have liked it they just released the original Game Gear again with some upscaling and a better monitor. I'd prefer to buy the carts back than to have an emulator. The Game Gears I owned had no region locking. I had a bunch of Japanese games on mine which didn't make it to the U.S.

Seems to me to produce it as a novelty is inexpensive. Many are still going to buy this, regardless.

Oh, for sure, I agree. When I first saw they were doing a Game Gear product I thought "Well, I would prefer a Saturn/DC Mini, but a Game Gear Mini with 40+ games will still be good, I'll buy one". I completely lost interest when I found out what it was actually going to be. I just don't like the clickbaity videos and reactions we have been getting. It would be justified if Sega themselves had hyped it up, but people did it to themselves on the basis of a Japanese tech journalist's tweet.

JohannCK

I wrote a review. Photos and a video of gameplay in the article too:

The screen and speaker are surprisingly good. My eyesight is terrible but I can read the text perfectly fine with the thing held at arm's length.

Last edited:

celsowmbr

Banned
A Japanese website did a complete overview of Game Gear Micro, including the hardware itself:

9.jpg

JohannCK

A Japanese website did a complete overview of Game Gear Micro, including the hardware itself:

9.jpg

They couldn't figure out what the button on the board does either, but FYI you press it while connected via USB for FEL mode.

Top Bottom