• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega’s Toshihiro Nagoshi Explains Merge Between Sega Interactive and Sega Games Coming in April 2020

Mista

Banned
sega-logo-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Sega Sammy Holdings announced on December 24 that Sega Interactive and Sega Games will be merging into one, under the name Sega, in April 2020, the start of the next fiscal year in Japan. Toshihiro Nagoshi knows this doesn’t really mean anything for us, so he explained what this is all about on December 24’s SegaNama stream.

So, the parent company is Sega Sammy Holdings, and the brand name Sega itself still exists, but there’s currently no company actually just named “Sega”. Below Sega Sammy Holdings, there is Sega Holdings, which is made up of two other companies. Sega Interactive and Sega Games.

Sega Interactive handles “Amusement Games”. This includes arcade video games but also things like UFO catchers, etc, something Sega always did. Meanwhile, Sega Games is the company developing video games for consoles, PC and smartphones. Now, these two will merge and form “Sega”.

Toshihiro Nagoshi explained how Sega never only stuck with video games, creating toys, and a ton of other content. When the times changed, they decided to separate the brand into Sega Interactive and Sega Games. That way, each one could have its own set of rules, adapted to them. However, with how the markets are changing in Japan and around the world, the company decided to merge the two back together. Nagoshi pointed out this is a big change for Sega and will allow them to make new, great content.

Toshihiro Nagoshi also spoke about how series like Persona made Sega realize that while non-Japanese studios are making awesome games, Sega still have ways to compete with them, as long as they give in their all to make great games.

Sega Holdings will also change its name to Sega Group in April 2020.

Toshihiro Nagoshi explained how Sega never only stuck with video games, creating toys, and a ton of other content. When the times changed, they decided to separate the brand into Sega Interactive and Sega Games. That way, each one could have its own set of rules, adapted to them. However, with how the markets are changing in Japan and around the world, the company decided to merge the two back together. Nagoshi pointed out this is a big change for Sega and will allow them to make new, great content.
Yes, everything is gambling now :messenger_loudly_crying: .

I just hope this means we'll finally get a Virtua Fighter 6 and maybe Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 in the near future for next-gen systems, among other things. Maybe also home ports of Scarlet Dawn and SEGA World Driver's Championship (with extra home-exclusive content).

Quasicat

I wonder if spinning these two together would make it easier for Sammy to sell if the right buyer came along. It just seems like a weird move to this and keep everything intact.
Add to this, Microsoft talking openly about acquiring a Japanese company in the near future.

Pallas

Gold Member
Nice, here comes gacha hell to the nearest console to you.

Joking aside, I’m curious if this will change anything at all for us gamers.

I wonder if spinning these two together would make it easier for Sammy to sell if the right buyer came along. It just seems like a weird move to this and keep everything intact.
Add to this, Microsoft talking openly about acquiring a Japanese company in the near future.

In a way I honestly wouldn't mind MS acquiring SEGA. I imagine MS would be generous enough to still them do their Nintendo collabs to so more Sonic & Mario Olympic Games ;)

FranXico

In a way I honestly wouldn't mind MS acquiring SEGA. I imagine MS would be generous enough to still them do their Nintendo collabs to so more Sonic & Mario Olympic Games ;)
Heh, that was the original plan. Moore shut down their console business, then MS made an offer. Japan was very close to signing.
I think people fantasize in a much too optimistic way about the outcome of such a takeover.

Sega makes no sense for Microsoft, Japan is FUBAR even for Sony that is a gloriously nipponic company. Microsoft has no business there.

Incidentally, Sega makes some sense for Sony, but I think they're also too american now to care about that market.

Ryu Kaiba

Only one who should acquire Sega is Nintendo.

Not only would it be amazing for Atlus to release more games on Switch and for Nintendo to finally make a great Sonic game.
But it would be a poetic end to their legacy where they began as Rivals.

Quasicat

Heh, that was the original plan. Moore shut down their console business, then MS made an offer. Japan was very close to signing.
I think people fantasize in a much too optimistic way about the outcome of such a takeover.
I’ve always imagined that Microsoft would’ve done for SEGA in what SEGA did for the original Xbox. That first couple of years as a 3rd party saw several sequels to some of their biggest stuff: Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, OutRun, a Phantasy Star Online collection. I imagine this would be pretty much what Microsoft would have had them do since perhaps most of these were scrapped Dreamcast titles.

Of course, Microsoft bought Rare around this same time and that didn’t go so well for a number of years.

Great Hair

Banned
You know what this means?

It means DREAMCAST FUCKING 2!!!!!!

Confidential Papers leaked :

SEGA joins Konami in the Pachinko Bizniz
SEGA joins the Yakuza
SEGA gets befriended with Chairman of the Yakuzas
SEGA tells them, they´re the makers of the franchise Yakuza
SEGA gets money from the Yakuzas
SEGA gives the Yakuza free games
SEGA enters the prostitution market with the help of Sonic and other mascots
SEGA buys up Japanese Industry like FUCK YOU GENKI!
SEGA expands their Yakuza Bizniz to South Korea and China
SEGA makes trillions of yens, every month, drugs, prostitution, microtransactions ..
SEGA acquires Microsoft 2030
SEGA shuts down Microsoft 2031
SEGA creates a cure for XboX
SEGA releases DreamCast for 2033
SEGA remakes every SEGA game released with photorealistic vfx
SEGA buys Sony share
SEGA acquires PlayStation and Nintendo
SEGA enters OLED market
SEGA will be copyrighted, trademarked, the word SEGA can not be used anymore, not even among friends ($1 fee)

Hudo

Sega should also take more control of Atlus and force those fools to publish their games on multiple platforms.

buizel

Banned
SEGA is one of those weird names that sounds less like a name the more you look at it.

I understand 'SErvice GAmes'. So we got 'Service Games Games'.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Not only would it be amazing for Atlus to release more games on Switch and for Nintendo to finally make a great Sonic game.
Worst idea ever. Abandon 99% of Sega's IPs just to have one good Sonic isn't what we need. (nintendo is already ignoring their own bad selling IPs like F-Zero which is selling better than most Sega Games.)

Current Sega is releasing New Sakura Wars, House of the Dead, Chuchu Rocket and licensing Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon...
It's better than having only good Sonic and nothing else.(plus, Christian Whitehead and Sumo can be summoned again)

Microsoft and Sony are also bad ideas. Unlike Sega, they make real AAA but since 2015 Sega has beaten all of them on metacritic overall production (even Nintendo).
Sega doesn't need them.

"Sega landed in our top 3 for the third time in four years (with the exception coming in a year when Sega failed to release enough games to qualify for our "major" publishers group). That's especially impressive given that Sega released more distinct titles than all but one other publisher in 2018" (being bought will only decrease titles production and overall quality)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Recent Sega comebacks:

"House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn is an awesome throwback to arcade glory days"

8/10 Great comeback.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e-arcade-racing-game-in-the-best-possible-way
(by the director of Sega Rally 95, Sega touring Car)

It's just a gl impse of Sega in house revivals of classic IPs or classic arcade games. Licensed promising good old franchises like Streets of Rage 4 are also coming back.

Don't worry Sega doesn't need a new owner that will use Sonic, Total War, sleep on 99% of the other IPs like they do with their own and block any licensing.

Space Channel 5 VR (developed by historical old Sega members)REZ Infinite,, Panzer Dragoon, Streets of Rage 4.
While developing its own sequels, Sega is the only big publisher allowing so much passionate teams to working on revivals.(yeah, sometimes creators like Suzuki fails delivering a unanimous game with Shenmue 3 but don't blame Sega for everything. Sega of Japan's Yakuza 6 had almost 90% on the other hand.

Sega survived the post Dreamcast debt storm unlike its old struggling developers (Yuji Naka failed with Prope, Panzer Dragoon's father disapointed with Crimson
Dragon and now Suzuki).

Sega is making good revivals, is currently above all publishers, and all of that without revealing its internal primary productions such as The Creative Assembly FPS, Re Fantasy...

Sega has all the keys for a bright future, why the hell would they need snoozing owner ?!?
(Redmond is doing a good job right now but Sega is not even a good target for Microsoft since many Sega nerds have a xbone. Search for square, Phil, if you want a megaton in japan)

Last edited:

cireza

This will never happen and that's for the best. Sega is perfectly fine and the two companies don't have much in common at all. I don't want to see a competent third party developer being stuck on hardware from last decade. Sega has great potential, teams and games, they also have many western developers oriented towards PC and powerful consoles. So this is totally impractical. Sega is also a pretty big company anyway, probably as big as Nintendo or pretty close.

Ryu Kaiba

Consolidating worked out great for Nintendo and Sony and capco
This will never happen and that's for the best. Sega is perfectly fine and the two companies don't have much in common at all. I don't want to see a competent third party developer being stuck on hardware from last decade. Sega has great potential, teams and games, they also have many western developers oriented towards PC and powerful consoles. So this is totally impractical. Sega is also a pretty big company anyway, probably as big as Nintendo or pretty close.
Just saying if one of the Big 3 were going to acquire them thats who i'd like it to be, not that they should be bought

Top Bottom