• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret PlayStation VR 2 specs look impressive, Digital Foundry claims

Matsuchezz

Get a new family. Its weak. Do you get seasick, cry when something is 30fps, and rollercoasters make ur tummy feel funny? In that case prevent your bloodline from continuing. Its the only way.
R U crazy or high or both? No seasick, nor cry and i love rollercoasters. The vr in psvr gives us headaches, we are not used to that. You may probably eat crap and say it is delicious. But not us. Enjoy it.

Wonko_C

What are you guys talking about? No Man's Sky works great with the Moves for on-foot and DS4 for ship controls. It's my preferred way to play.

Matsuchezz

Unfortunately vr sickness needs exposure to get over it (takes a while for the brain to adapt to the unusual stimuli). I think most people take a week or two of regular play - but it might come back somewhat if you don't play for a while. The exposure should also be graduated, starting with games that have limited movement, teleport, etc. Always stop if you start feeling sick because it won't go away if you attempt to play through it

edit: one issue is PSVR 1 have low frame rates which can contribute to motion sickness. PSVR 2 should be better; edit: another contributor is all the PSVR games that use gamepad controls - as soon as you move in game in an unexpected direction the brain is like wtf and makes you super nauseous. But it depends on the game e.g. The Persistence 2 and Wolfenstein Cyberpilot are the worst ones I tried. You may have been playing one of the bad ones.
It happened to me with RE7. The effect was really good. But i start to feel something strange between my eyes and behind the nose. I usually move the character in the direction i wanted to look and then walk towards what i wanted to see. I stead of moving my head and walk at the sametime.

the_master

All I want is Jumping Flash and/or Katamari VR.
I also want Katamari. Heck, I want a lot more Katamari in general.
Are even getting a new game? I think we could have a spectacular one for next gen (not a port but a new one with massive environments and millions of objects) A man can dream

I’m willing to buy if launched with adequate software support.

No point in releasing it for a few games. I’d rather it was delayed until there was a solid library of titles behind it.

Latest supposed details.

OLED screens
2000 x 2040 per eye
110 degree FOV
Eye tracking
Foveated rendering/flexible scaling
Bundled controllers
Headset haptics
AAA VR/non-VR hybrid games

Headset haptics????

Will it massage my eyeballs in particularly intense scenes?

5184254.jpg

Orta

Banned
This is the only thing that'll make me buy that big white hunk of shit. Astrobot vr was genuinely the most fun I've ever had playing a game. If we get a second one on par with the original I'd think nothing of forking out a grand for the whole setup.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I think we will get more traditional games with VR support. Don't get me wrong we will have occasional VR exclusive games like we did with PS4. But I think the best way to make money and less risk it to have 2D games support VR, Resident Evil 7 was one of the most popular games for VR on PS4 and it was a traditional 2D game.

My expectation is Sony will moneyhat 3rd parties to have VR support in their games.
- Resident Evil 8
- GTA5
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Gran Turismo 7
- Far Cry

jigglet

Banned
If it's fully wireless and also easy to view non-proprietary content on (I think PSVR you could just stick in a USB with media on it and it worked?) then I could see myself buying a PS5 just for this.

Romulus

Seems they have really gone with foveated technology and they want to move away from shorter games to more high-end AAA stuff.

I think this situation is unique for another reason. There just aren't any high-end VR games that are optimized for a single piece of technology and hardware. PSVR2 could change that. If this specific rendering technology can lighten the load, combined with console optimization, we could be seeing some really insane looking exclusive stuff on PSVR2. Even PSVR1 has some games that make me raise an eyebrow as to how they run and that's due to optimization. PS4 is utter garbage by comparison. Now you're giving the best devs in the world way more power and serious optimization tools. Very interesting.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I´m sure Sony has a much better understanding than me on the reality of VR market. But investing so much on a hardware that requires another -almost unavailable- hardware on top of it looks like a hard sell. Also, it has the inconvenience of being a wired device, and probably will be, based on this news, expensive.
I mean, PC VR is almost death.
Not sure how this is going to compete to Quest.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Your preferred way to play is to juggle around 3 controllers while wearing a headset?
Now that you mention it, it is a handful. The new PSVR2 controllers will solve that thanks to the analog sticks, because having to control your ship with the Move wands is the only reason I keep the DS4 besides me. But I prefer that to having to play the whole game with the DS4 only and miss on the VR interactivity the on-foot sections provide.

Romulus

I´m sure Sony has a much better understanding than me on the reality of VR market. But investing so much on a hardware that required another -almost unavailable- hardware on top of it looks like a hard sell. Also, it has the inconvenience of being a wired device.
I mean, PC VR is almost dead.
Not sure how this is going to compete to Quest.

But PS5 is still outselling almost every console ever made despite being "unavailable."

JLB

Banned
But PS5 is still outselling almost every console ever made despite being "unavailable."

Yeah, but still the potential market of PSVR2 is reduced, thats clear.
edit: bth, not sure why wrapping unavailable in quotes. Its mostly unavailable, thats a fact.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

this is all expected tho right. I mean obviously going to be much improved. And/or they get the price way down.

also expected is the same problem remains. Peripherals never really gain enough of an install base. Even fairly cheap ones. And so game development for said peripheral is hard to come by.

Keihart

i hope they go with eye tracking to make foveated rendering a thing already. Somebody needs to push the industry in that direction already, computers are not gonna become that much powerful overnight but that little piece of tech will multiply every bit of gain in power by a lot.

Edit: fuck yeah, i hope it's true.
qyiK7Gb.png

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
this is all expected tho right. I mean obviously going to be much improved. And/or they get the price way down.

also expected is the same problem remains. Peripherals never really gain enough of an install base. Even fairly cheap ones. And so game development for said peripheral is hard to come by.

That's what it comes to my mind. Its a hard sell compared to Quest (potentially updated, wireless 2022 version) from an economic standpoint, and also its not as flexible / powerful to high end pc vr (if its still a thing next year).
The best thing about PSVR2 is that I asume it will be a super consumer friendly hign end VR option, potentially unique in that category.

Romulus

Yeah, but still the potential market of PSVR2 is reduced, thats clear.
edit: bth, not sure why wrapping unavailable in quotes. Its mostly unavailable, thats a fact.

I'm not sure how much its reducing it. Ps4 sold incredibly well and ps5 is outselling that. If anything the constant demand might be accelerating sales. Sony is clearly providing enough to topple almost every console ever made.

JLB

Banned
I'm not sure how much its reducing it. Ps4 sold incredibly well and ps5 is outselling that. If anything the constant demand might be accelerating sales. Sony is clearly providing enough to topple almost every console ever made.

I think you are not understanding what Im saying. Im not saying that PS5 is not selling incredibly well and its a complete success. Im saying that the user base is still reduced. Compared to Quest (anybody can buy one) or even PC. No need to be so defensive.

Gamerguy84

IDC if it has one USB-C thin cable. As long as it doesn't look like that thick 1950s diver helmet cable.

PS is going to try to give us the best they can and fit it in a budget for mass adoption. Other VR solutions do what they want. Some are budget, some are top of the line for the people willing to spend.

Day 1 for me.

tr1p1ex

That's what it comes to my mind. Its a hard sell compared to Quest (potentially updated, wireless 2022 version) from an economic standpoint, and also its not as flexible / powerful to high end pc vr (if its still a thing next year).
The best thing about PSVR2 is that I asume it will be a super consumer friendly hign end VR option, potentially unique in that category.
If the games can be ported easy enough, having other VR headsets out there in use doesn't exactly hurt PSVR2 because it increases the VR install base.

And the VR install base is of need of increasing to encourage VR game development. ..because even Quest is only selling at Wii U-ish levels at best iirc.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

This looks veeery pricey. Is there a PCVR headset that has similar specs to NGVR?

-Eye Tracking.
-Near HP Reverb G2 resolution.
-Haptic feedback inside the headset itself.
-OLED display with HDR.
-Similar controllers to Oculus Touch with the DS4's Impulse Triggers.

The only headset capable of eye-tracking I can think of is the $799 Vive Pro Eye, and that needs external sensors.

JLB

Banned
yep and even Quest is only selling at Wii U-ish levels at best.

Although, if the games can be ported easy enough, having other VR headsets out there in use doesn't hurt PSVR2.

I've read a couple of days ago a tweet from a VR developer saying that Quest is selling like 5x compared to PC VR. Like it or not (I dont like it btw, its fucking Facebook) Quest seems to be where VR future resides.

Last edited:

Romulus

I think you are not understanding what Im saying. Im not saying that PS5 is not selling incredibly well and its a complete success. Im saying that the user base is still reduced. Compared to Quest (anybody can buy one) or even PC. No need to be so defensive.

Theres no defensiveness coming from me. Let's remove that from the equation.
You said the ps5 VR base is reduced because it's almost unavailable, not because it's a console. You just now introduced the Quest argument. I'm saying that's irrelevant to their strategy because they make console VR. Further, the unavailability argument is irrelevant because ps5 console is outselling everything.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Theres no defensiveness coming from me. Let's remove that from the equation.
You said the ps5 VR base is reduced because it's almost unavailable, not because it's a console. You just now introduced the Quest argument. I'm saying that's irrelevant to their strategy because they make console VR. Further, the unavailability argument is irrelevant because ps5 console is outselling everything.

jfc, its so hard to understand that the userbase of a product released less than a year ago its reduced? This has nothing to do with how success it is. There could be 25 million PS5 sold through, being the most successful thing ever created by human being and still the user base would be reduced. 2 + 2.

Romulus

jfc, its so hard to understand that the userbase of a product released less than a year ago its reduced? This has nothing to do with how success it is. There could be 25 million PS5 sold through, being the most successful thing ever created by human being and still the user base would be reduced. 2 + 2.

Reduced compared to Quest 2? Or that its unavailable? I can tell you're typing really fast.

Wonko_C

I think having the PSVR2 userbase grow alongside the PS5 userbase will benefit the headset's sales in the long run. PSVR1 launched midway through last generation, existing PS4 owners might have thought it launched too late in the generation.

If they start selling PSVR2 earlier as a companion to PS5 (even better if they start selling them bundled together), It'll proably have a healthier sales ratio of units sold against PS5.

But I am no marketing guy, I'm most likely completely wrong and this is just an optimistic outlook on things.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Curious what these impressive specs are that havent leaked?

Foveated rendering?
The leak was just leaked ;p DF was probably talking about flexible scaling resolution on top of foveated rendering which was leaked a few weeks ago.
PSVR without Parole, a well known name in the PSVR community just dropped a video outlining details from a summit Sony held with developers regarding the next PSVR.

I highly recommend checking out the video for more details at:

Some of the things that were mentioned:

• Referred to as NGVR by Sony (next gen PSVR) - not PSVR 2
  • Will use Fresnel OLED screens with a 2000x2040 resolution per eye
  • HDR display
  • FOV is 110 degrees
  • Uses Flexible Scaling Resolution in addition to Foveated Rendering which used in conjunction conjunction eye tracking both which aims to scale resolution based upon the user's concentrated view and reduces the strains on PS5 resources
  • Haptics are planned for the headset itself to reduce motion sickness and improve immersion
  • The new controllers which don't have a name yet will be packaged with every new NGVR headset at launch.
  • The controllers will include capacitive touch sensors, which are analogue based and can track the distance between your fingers and thumb. This is in addition to haptics and adaptive triggers which have already been announced
  • Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.
  • Nothing was mentioned regarding BC for PSVR1 but there is a push to remaster some PSVR1 games
  • The headset itself wasn't shown and release date wasn't mentioned but launch plans will be revealed in early 2022.

Dont remember if the HDR display was confirmed last time, but the bit about AAA games is very interesting. It could mean that Horizon, GoW and GT7 will all have VR versions. With foveated rendering and flexible resolution scaling which I am assuming is some kind of enhanced version of dynamic resolution scaling, we might see identical visual quality between the vr and traditional console versions.

I didnt want Sony studios wasting time with VR games but if traditional games can take advantage of VR without much work and dont see a big downgrade like we saw with DriveClub VR then I am all for it.

Romulus

reduced as reduced, if you are bright enough to understand the meaning of that word.

You just need to be clear to allow me to respond properly. Reduced as in the best selling console ever or compared to a standalone?

Last edited:
The leak was just leaked ;p DF was probably talking about flexible scaling resolution on top of foveated rendering which was leaked a few weeks ago.

Dont remember if the HDR display was confirmed last time, but the bit about AAA games is very interesting. It could mean that Horizon, GoW and GT7 will all have VR versions. With foveated rendering and flexible resolution scaling which I am assuming is some kind of enhanced version of dynamic resolution scaling, we might see identical visual quality between the vr and traditional console versions.

I didnt want Sony studios wasting time with VR games but if traditional games can take advantage of VR without much work and dont see a big downgrade like we saw with DriveClub VR then I am all for it.

this is huge news.

I’ve always said that VR needs to basically be an option in all AAA games even if only as a second screen 3D option

more default support for all games makes the value proposition go way up.

with all the scaling tricks devs have, they should be able to get good performance. Most AAA games have 1440p60 as default

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
C'mon guys, this thing is gonna fucking rock.. the OG PSVR shackled to a PS4 Pro still produced some incredible experiences even with the dodgy move wands and 14billion cables everywhere. I honestly cant wait to check it out and you just know they have studios working away on AAA games or addons to existing games. Gran Turismo VR anyone with graphics turned upto 10?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
this is huge news.

I’ve always said that VR needs to basically be an option in all AAA games even if only as a second screen 3D option

more default support for all games makes the value proposition go way up.

with all the scaling tricks devs have, they should be able to get good performance. Most AAA games have 1440p60 as default
Right at least when it comes to cross gen games like Horizon. It's native 4k 30 fps and should be 1440p 60 fps. But they will need to run it at essentially native 4k and 120 fps since the resolution of the headset is 2000*2040 pixels per eye or 8 million pixels total.

So any kind of foveated rendering and resolution scaling is probably a must to essentially quadruple the framerate at native 4k.

I hope the horrible headaches go away, in my family we only could play it like 20 min before we got dizzy and feel like throwing up. My nephew actually threw up.
I think it's a bit to do with adaptation, the original Doom gave me a bit of nausea, but I adapted and now no fps gives me nausea. That said some modes of 3d rendering where the world geometry deforms with perspective do bother me a bit, even in non fps games.

As others have mentioned framerate is also an issue, probably the main issue, you may need higher framerate. Should try one of the higher framerate vr headsets to see if that solves the issue.

Another possibility is the screens, it is said light field displays allow natural eye focus and accommodation but the screen displays cause unnatural eye strain.

Romulus

C'mon guys, this thing is gonna fucking rock.. the OG PSVR shackled to a PS4 Pro still produced some incredible experiences even with the dodgy move wands and 14billion cables everywhere. I honestly cant wait to check it out and you just know they have studios working away on AAA games or addons to existing games. Gran Turismo VR anyone with graphics turned upto 10?

You could argue it's the first time proper VR is on a console. Psvr1 was outdated to hell on release day, and everyone knew it. Still sold over 5 million with terrible controllers, dodgy tracking, high initial pricing, and the god awful ps4 hardware. Psvr2 by default is likely 2 full generations ahead, at likely the same initial price or less on a console that is easily outpacing its predecessor.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Now that you mention it, it is a handful. The new PSVR2 controllers will solve that thanks to the analog sticks, because having to control your ship with the Move wands is the only reason I keep the DS4 besides me. But I prefer that to having to play the whole game with the DS4 only and miss on the VR interactivity the on-foot sections provide.
Oh new controllers will definitely help. But even playing NMS on the Oculus controllers is not that hot. Same goes with games like Skyrim and Fallout where VR was added in and not built around it.
Compare them to games like HL: Alyx, Asgards Wrath, and Lone Echo where VR was the main focus. Big difference in controls, UI, and overall experience.

Romulus

Oh new controllers will definitely help. But even playing NMS on the Oculus controllers is not that hot. Same goes with games like Skyrim and Fallout where VR was added in and not built around it.
Compare them to games like HL: Alyx, Asgards Wrath, and Lone Echo where VR was the main focus. Big difference in controls, UI, and overall experience.

Hell just adding an analog stick is going to feel like the Matrix for psvr only users upgrading to psvr2. The move controller implementation is awful by comparison to even old oculus methods.

Top Bottom