• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate xbox series x nvme

diffusionx

Gold Member
That’s just a patent, stupid clickbait article before the PS5 was even unveiled. Sony clearly said that you could use off-the-shelf drives, but only ones they “certify.” I don’t know what certification process is, or what steps they will take to stop people from just putting any piece of shit drive they find on Aliexpress in there... but that’s what they said.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Sony said proprietary expansion cards? Link to that?

I thought they were working with open market parts (those that are good enough)? I can totally see some kind of caddy, where you install the m.2 and then just slide the caddy in place, like what they do with the hdd. That, or the m.2 slot is positioned so that it's accessible via a hatch. I doubt they will make you disassemble the thing for the update.

Last edited:
Storage will be a none issue next gen.

I've heard it all before how X space wasn't enough and the only time it was an issue was with the 20gb Xbox 360. Then they released a bigger HDD and problem solved.

reksveks

Storage will be a none issue next gen.

I've heard it all before how X space wasn't enough and the only time it was an issue was with the 20gb Xbox 360. Then they released a bigger HDD and problem solved.
I could see it being an issue for people whom store multiple live service games or multi player games but for 95%, it’s not really an issue.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I could see it being an issue for people whom store multiple live service games or multi player games but for 95%, it’s not really an issue.

It wasn't much of an issue for me this gen, thanks to MS supporting up to 16TB in external storage. I have 12TB right now. Might replace my 4TB someday with another 8TB.

I still wish Sony supported more than 1 external HDD though. I have 1 4TB on there that always gets full.

But next gen is different. You have to run the games off the internal SSD.

I won't be surprised if Sony drops the idea of addon SSDs and conveniently doesn't address it any further until a couple years from now when they randomly slip in an interview that they abandoned the concept a while back.

They will push using external drives to swap memory around and release larger iterations of PS5 as quickly as they can afford.

These drives have to be actively cooled to perform. MS concept allows this because they control the form factor and specs. Sony's method is either foolhardy or they will end up doing essentially the same thing anyway.

Not to mention there hasn't been a drive released yet that meets Sony's specs. That price is going to be a hard pill to swallow for years....

splattered

I won't be surprised if Sony drops the idea of addon SSDs and conveniently doesn't address it any further until a couple years from now when they randomly slip in an interview that they abandoned the concept a while back.

They will push using external drives to swap memory around and release larger iterations of PS5 as quickly as they can afford.

These drives have to be actively cooled to perform. MS concept allows this because they control the form factor and specs. Sony's method is either foolhardy or they will end up doing essentially the same thing anyway.

Not to mention there hasn't been a drive released yet that meets Sony's specs. That price is going to be a hard pill to swallow for years....

Well Sony traditionally releases new AAA first party games at a very slow rate and most Sony fans usually only buy Fifa, MLB, and COD so it will probably be fine for most PS5 owners to only be able to store a handful of titles on the console at a time because they will be constantly heading to Gamestop to flip annual titles like Fifa keeping hard drive utilization to a minimum. :p

reksveks

Definitely think the Microsoft solution is better than Sony’s here for most casual consumers in my opinion.

The Alien

Banned
I see people worried about this storage being proprietary. I get it....personally, I dont think it will be crazy $$$. It uses existing tech.

I would be more concerned about the PS5 storage solution. Whole it may not be proprietary, that tech will be more expensive...and individual drives will also need to be certified by Sony for use on the PS5.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I see people worried about this storage being proprietary. I get it....personally, I dont think it will be crazy $$$. It uses existing tech.

I would be more concerned about the PS5 storage solution. Whole it may not be proprietary, that tech will be more expensive...and individual drives will also need to be certified by Sony for use on the PS5.

Sony's solution has to be proprietary too.

For real. Sony has said that an off the shelf NVME needs to be 7gb/s.

This is $200 and it still isn't fast enough and is only 1TB.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLYWMYW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It would be nice if Microsoft’s solution becomes an industry standard.
Also maybe ps5 could simply have the expansion ssd slot on the back of the console. No need to open anything just screw it down to the back, that would allow all kinds of sizes of ssd complete with any cooling needed.

MastaKiiLA

The only SSDs of that speed are NMVe.

Do you even know what a NMVe SSD looks like? This is one:

samsung-960-pro-m2-nvme-1tb-ssd-hard-drive-1280x853.jpg

Neither console manufacturer is going to let someone open their system and install one of those. It's a ESD disaster waiting to happen.

Instead both will have drives like these Seagate ones that you can plug into an expansion slot.
It isn't rocket science. A bay on the back, with a M2 slot in it. Inser the keyed end, and it slides into the slot. Close the door on the bay. They make USB enclosures that do this already. I got one for my Optane card, when I swapped it out for my 970 Evo Plus. If you can insert an HDMI, or USB cable, you can insert an NVME card. It might actually be easier than USB, since the keying is more obvious. It would be rather silly to require additional hardware for an OTS solution, given any added plastic is just going to further hinder the cooling. An M2-sized drive bay makes more sense.

The Alien

Banned
Sony's solution has to be proprietary too.
I could be wrong but I believe Sony mentioned the SSDs won't be proprietary. Sony will allow various manufacturer's drives with the caveat being that Sony would need to certify any of the drives for PS5 usage. So some, likely not all.

Proprietary or not, the tech itself (if it is that cutting edge), wont be cheap. I believe the 1Tb proprietary for Xbox will be cheaper than the 1Tb (or 825gb) Sony will use.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I could be wrong but I believe Sony mentioned the SSDs won't be proprietary. Sony will allow various manufacturer's drives with the caveat being that Sony would need to certify any of the drives for PS5 usage. So some, likely not all.

Proprietary or not, the tech itself (if it is that cutting edge), wont be cheap. I believe the 1Tb proprietary for Xbox will be cheaper than the 1Tb (or 825gb) Sony will use.

They just said they'd have to certify the SSDs. Meaning anyone can make one, but it's going to have to be to Sony's specs.

In reality they're probably just saying that to tempt Western Digital to make something like Seagate's and get that lucrative exclusivity deal.

Zathalus

The upcoming Samsung 980 PRO should be fast enough to get certified for the PS5. Or any of the upcoming Phison E18 based drives.

Zathalus

Isn't the 980 pro still capping at 6.5gb? That's still lower than the 7gb target set out.
I thought the statement was they expected 7GB/s drives by year end, not that it was a requirement? That they would be doing compatibility testing with the various drives to test which would work best. But a number of 7GB/s drives are in the works, so I imagine PS5 owners won't be strapped for choice.

I do expect the Xbox drive to be cheaper though, even if it's propriety, as it's a much slower drive.

I thought the statement was they expected 7GB/s drives by year end, not that it was a requirement? That they would be doing compatibility testing with the various drives to test which would work best. But a number of 7GB/s drives are in the works, so I imagine PS5 owners won't be strapped for choice.

I do expect the Xbox drive to be cheaper though, even if it's propriety, as it's a much slower drive.

Their SSD is customized thus it can run at 5.5 and be fine. Cerny stated that an off the shelf would need to be 7gb as the lack of customization needs the additional overhead

Top Bottom