• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate xbox series x nvme

ManaByte

i guess a cheaper option (if these will be expensive) is to use an external to store games on, then just copy the games you want to play as of when you feel like it to the internal ssd. that’s my plan anyway, i have a 500gb external ssd at the moment that i plan to use.

Except you can run the new games off that 500GB SSD.

Banned
i guess a cheaper option (if these will be expensive) is to use an external to store games on, then just copy the games you want to play as of when you feel like it to the internal ssd. that’s my plan anyway, i have a 500gb external ssd at the moment that i plan to use.

I have 2 2TB drives plugged into my One X, and I will definitely just use them with the Series X, first of all for back compat games and then for additional storage should the internal drive get too full.

Last edited:

ManaByte

can or can’t? if you meant to put can’t then i know that, that’s why i’d copy over to the internal..

Can't. Neither system will be able to run games off a USB SSD. They're not fast enough and never will be over USB. The systems are designed for NVMe drives that need to be connected directly to the board.

Rossco EZ

Can't. Neither system will be able to run games off a USB SSD. They're not fast enough and never will be over USB. The systems are designed for NVMe drives that need to be connected directly to the board.
you can still play games off of them, they just won’t have the faster loading times etc. anyway, i said i’d use it for storing games and copying over to internal to get the better speeds..

ManaByte

you can still play games off of them, they just won’t have the faster loading times etc. anyway, i said i’d use it for storing games and copying over to internal to get the better speeds..

No they already said the next gen games must be installed on the internal drive. You can play past-gen games off an external, but the next gen games have to be installed on the internal SSD to run.

Andodalf

Banned
The only SSDs of that speed are NMVe.

Do you even know what a NMVe SSD looks like? This is one:

samsung-960-pro-m2-nvme-1tb-ssd-hard-drive-1280x853.jpg

Neither console manufacturer is going to let someone open their system and install one of those. It's a ESD disaster waiting to happen.

Instead both will have drives like these Seagate ones that you can plug into an expansion slot.

Yeah I really doubt Sony will let you just screw the drive right into the m.2 mount on the MOBO

Rossco EZ

No they already said the next gen games must be installed on the internal drive. You can play past-gen games off an external, but the next gen games have to be installed on the internal SSD to run.
oh ok, well still my plan would be to just store games on an external anyway and move to internal.

DerFuggler

I wonder if it'll be so expensive most gamers would rather just buy a second XSX than shell out 50-70% of the console cost for a 1TB expansion...

Rossco EZ

Banned
I wonder if it'll be so expensive most gamers would rather just buy a second XSX than shell out 50-70% of the console cost for a 1TB expansion...

the fact that these cards won't need a controller nor ram on them because that's all inside the system will bring down manufacturing costs by quite a bit. so I bet these will be cheaper than most expect now.

id expect it to be around $99 - $150 based on average prices of pc parts
the internals of the xbox can also reduce costs as some have mentioned due to not requiring a controller

im curious to see what the ps5 option is as sony dont have a track record of value for money on proprietary memory
and 800 gig is not a whole lot of space considering the average game install aint getting any smaller

On Demand

Banned
The only SSDs of that speed are NMVe.

Do you even know what a NMVe SSD looks like? This is one:

samsung-960-pro-m2-nvme-1tb-ssd-hard-drive-1280x853.jpg

Neither console manufacturer is going to let someone open their system and install one of those. It's a ESD disaster waiting to happen.

Instead both will have drives like these Seagate ones that you can plug into an expansion slot.

Right. PS5 will have a memory card type expansion too. It was also speculated that you would put that SSD drive directly into the bay. Don't know how anyone thought that would work.

It's cool Sony's is not proprietary. That means more than one manufacturer and different prices. I would love to see a PS2 memory card design SSD card.

JLB

Banned

Indeed, but RDR2 is 172gb on my X right now. A Rockstar game on next game could easily go up to what, 300gb? Moving back and forth 300gb from an extrenal hdd is going to be a pain in the ass.

Rossco EZ

Indeed, but RDR2 is 172gb on my X right now. A Rockstar game on next game could easily go up to what, 300gb? Moving back and forth 300gb from an extrenal hdd is going to be a pain in the ass.
yeah true, still for the time being it’s a solution. also how is rdr2 172gb? mines only 101gb on my one x

DaGwaphics

What, like it automatically configures itself in Raid-0 when coupled with this add on drive?

I'd hope you could turn that off, if that is an option. You couldn't swap for another drive then.

Like someone said in another thread, they've basically gone Gen3x4 with the Gen4x2 drive, that gives them the room to run the drives independently without interference (without adding any additional PCIe lanes). Raid0 could be a thing, but you couldn't swap a drive out then, or take a drive on vacation for use in a different console, etc.

Right. PS5 will have a memory card type expansion too. It was also speculated that you would put that SSD drive directly into the bay. Don't know how anyone thought that would work.

It's cool Sony's is not proprietary. That means more than one manufacturer and different prices. I would love to see a PS2 memory card design SSD card.
The bay could be a very slim SD card like slot. Such a slot would need to be a very snug and tight slot, because for cooling reason (NVMe drives get quite hot and would need to be in contact with the metal inside of that slot). This would work even better when the NVME SSD has a 2242 form factor. It would essentially be just like the xbox SSD without the housing/case.

This would be how I'd do it if proper cooling can be guaranteed, but this limits compatibility with off the shelf parts even further and small form factor high-speed SSDs could potentially be even more pricey.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There are advantages to both approaches, but I expect the XSX drive being proprietary to be more convenient, stable, portable, and affordable than the alternative approach. Think of it like a next-gen memory card instead of traditional PC internal expandable storage option. We'll see.

On PC I'm currently on 1TB SSD and 3TB HDD, but I'm eventually going to need more fast storage. I'd prefer a slower SSD with much larger capacity over a bleeding edge SSD with max transfer speeds. I like space to park games I play with friends and family, swapping from a USB with massive games or re-downloading would be a pain in the ass. It can be counterproductive to have "near-zero" loading times, but have to swap games off USB to a 1TB or 825GB SSD. In my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

Redlight

I expect the expansion drives to be horribly expensive.

As long as each system (Sony and MS) has an easy, streamlined way to transfer games between the internal drive and external USB it should be workable without an expansion.

Last edited:

jonesxlv

Neo Member
Sony will do something similar. You can't have custom IO without custom components that take advantage of their advantages.

And for Sony's I/O throughput needs, any external/expandable SSD will need some form of shell to aid with cooling. 5.5GB/s NVME drives get very very hot with sustained activity.

longdi

Banned
$150 will be a good price.
You can get faster ones around $140-150

MS solution is a smart one due to cost per gb. Plug and play and backup.

Sony solution needs you to self install a more expensive PCIE 4.0 ones. 🤷‍♀️

I guess Sony only advantage is, most third party SSD have 5 years warranty.
While 2-3 years later, the price of fast nvme SSD will fall but MS can offer bigger capacity too.

Last edited:

GenericUser

If that is supported, I think this would be a feasable option. "Traditional" SSDs read like 400MB/s, that would mean you can copy a 100GB game in 4 minutes and 10 seconds from the "slow ssd" to the internal ssd.
I'd be ok with that, probably would save you a ton of money. Once the PS5 Pro is released, NVMe SSD storage will be a lot cheaper and by then I'll get rid of this hybrid solution. Don't know though, if both manufactures (sony and ms) support this.

id expect it to be around $99 - $150 based on average prices of pc parts
the internals of the xbox can also reduce costs as some have mentioned due to not requiring a controller

im curious to see what the ps5 option is as sony dont have a track record of value for money on proprietary memory
and 800 gig is not a whole lot of space considering the average game install aint getting any smaller
I don't know. My gen 4 seagate 1TB M2 in my PC was over $200 if I remember correctly. Unless they've come down significantly over the last 6 months I don't see it being under $199, especially being proprietary.

reksveks

These look pretty cool, am I right in thinking that playstation 5 will have us taking the ps5 apart and adding one that way?

Yeah, I assume that it will work that way.

People complain about price when we haven’t had one yet? Also does anybody think a new drive to put in PS5 will come in cheaper?

No-one knows the two key things about each approach, price and compatibility. If Sony has no approved ssd at launch, then that’s a different world then one where they have 3/4. Also no one knows what happens if you stick an ‘incompatible’ ssd in the console.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah, I assume that it will work that way.

No-one knows the two key things about each approach, price and compatibility. If Sony has no approved ssd at launch, then that’s a different world then one where they have 3/4. Also no one knows what happens if you stick an ‘incompatible’ ssd in the console.
But a drive that isn’t even released to be able to buy on PC yet will be expensive on launch wont it. I mean its not like the top end SSD are cheap now is it?

reksveks

But a drive that isn’t even released to be able to buy on PC yet will be expensive on launch wont it. I mean its not like the top end SSD are cheap now is it?
Yeah but that’s kinda dependent on what the min spec for the external drive. The price in the uk for a pcie gen4 m2 drive for 1TB is about 200 GBP.
I don’t get Microsoft’s spec honestly; the seagate site says Pcie gen 4 but can’t find one that matches those speeds.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah but that’s kinda dependent on what the min spec for the external drive. The price in the uk for a pcie gen4 m2 drive for 1TB is about 200 GBP.
I don’t get Microsoft’s spec honestly; the seagate site says Pcie gen 4 but can’t find one that matches those speeds.
Yeah but the new drives that will work on the PS5 wont be released till the end of the year apparently and they are brand new tech. Usually brand new tech always comes at a cost at first. It will be pricey to begin with but will go down. I also expect other manufactures to make xbox mem cards to after a while. The demand for the ssd upgrades for the consoles will be big so that will push prices down to

Three

The duplicated assets does add a little to the total space, but a game like Spiderman is not huge because of 500 mailboxes, it is huge because it's a massive game with lots of content and unique art, voice acting, etc. Any small savings that come from not having to duplicate will quickly be dwarfed by the increased demands from next gen. You're right, it isn't much and won't be much.

Don't know man. Seems like removing 10GB from a total of 47GB is a considerable saving to me. Who knows what next gen texture requirements are like though. We may end up with 100GB installs without duplication and who knows what sort of compression we will get with the dedicated hardware.

Last edited:

Allandor

768 GiB ;). And part of that should be reserved for the OS and to reduce "write-damage". So lets assume 500-600 GiB available for games.

I really like the property "USB-Stick" version. But I really hope more suppliers will follow. Yes they might get them produced really cheap (because they might not have a controller or cache (both not needed)) but I guess they will just orientate just on the prices of nvme drives.

TheContact

Yeah I really doubt Sony will let you just screw the drive right into the m.2 mount on the MOBO

That's what I think their proprietary "expansion cards" are going to be. It's probably going to connect to the mobo like SAS. Seems MS is doing something similar.

NullZ3r0

Banned
To the people complaining about this, there will be no off-the-shelf solutions for PS5 either. Sony will need to certify various NVME drives that can work with PS5. This is going to make these drives more expensive.

Microsoft has a better solution that's more user friendly.

Cheap, fast and user friendly: Pick two, please.

nikolino840

They should allow for off the shelf storage solutions,be more user friendly. These specifically branded accessories are always overpriced to hell.
People get confused about "one x" "series x" try to explain to read on the ssd how much data can send instead of how many TB is the ssd (the TB is written in big,the velocity is written in small in the bottom of the package)

Top Bottom